Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

We need an rvn

I wish people would stoo writing season is a write of anyway. We're still in the CL and FA cup.
Ole might be able to rally the squad for a run in the FA cup, if we can avoid City and Liverpool - but I don't think we have chance in hell in the CL.

Get us top 4 and a good FA cup run / win after this start and we'd have to be happy with that

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I am glad to see Mourinho gone. I cannot think of ever having witnessed a club with the ambition to be part of the world elite playing such a dire kind of football as we did.

However, with Mourinho there would have been a small chance to somehow grab the CL. Although playing such abysmal football we never really got slaughtered and got some surprising results against the big clubs.

I guess that OGS will completely change our style of play to a much more attacking brand of football. Hopefully this will not end in a complete disaster.

The main reasons for this appointment might be the fact that OGS is fully aware of being just a short term solution and will make place in the summer without moaning. Others like Blanc or Jardim might not have accepted to be replaced so easily in case the results would have been fine unti the end of the season.
And it should help in negotiations with some of our key players and bring some better mood again.

sugar_kane

Ole is the nearest thing we could get to appointing The King himself as manager.

As terrace legends go there is only Cantona who is loved more by the current generation of match going fans.

It could be a complete disaster but I’m excited either way, and regardless of results I’m hopeful it will be the perfect antidote to the poison Mourinho left.

There is a question of whether he can manage big egos or not but he’s Ole Gunnar Solskjaer ffs, if certain United players can’t respect him then they can do one, basically.

Listar

Ole might be able to rally the squad for a run in the FA cup, if we can avoid City and Liverpool - but I don't think we have chance in hell in the CL.

Get us top 4 and a good FA cup run / win after this start and we'd have to be happy with that
I would take a 12th place finish with a CL trophy.

KM implied we can. :cool:

Verminator

Those who keep saying he failed at Cardiff need to remember how crap they were.
He should never have gone there.
If I remember it right, McKay quit because no funds were made available, even though they had a small squad.
The fans were at the board's throats over the change of jersey from blue to red. And they didn't want Ole there.
Injuries meant he was playing young lads, and they couldn't cope.
It was a crap decision to go there. I think he had turned down Villa as well.

I'm quite confident that we'll do ok with a happier camp. We might struggle tactically against the big teams, but underperforming against the lower teams has been our, painful, undoing this season.

Woodzy

Why are people freaking out? We better take our sweet time and organize the back-end of the club. It doesn't matter who takes us now.
Exactly. This is all about getting some short-term stability back in the club. Get some of these players playing actual football again.

midnightmare

Struggling to see how this would be a good appointment but I hope I’m wrong.
Having someone who’s “united” won’t cut it, we need some one better, even for the next 6 months.
Wonder how Barcelona fans felt when appointing Pep. Or Real fans when appointing Zidane.
Zidane was pretty poor even with the reserves - while Ole won us things there.
And for that matter, Ole also won 2 of the 3 league titles that Molde has won in their 70 odd year history.
Most importantly, this is interim - and the task this year is to build / re-build the club's footballing structure. Who do you think we'd land at this time? I don't see Poch handing in his papers and walking across - and there's no way Zidane takes over mid-season for us (if at all). How is Jardim actually a better bet? Have you even studied Jardim's background? And if not these, who else? Blanc? So now, walking PSG to their annual title (and then sitting idle for years thereafter) is an achievement worthy of taking the United job?

Failed at cardiff. Good enough for united. Let the good times roll.
So one bad mid-season stint at a job that everyone knew was a poisoned chalice and that's enough to write him off?

I don't get the negativity. We're done this season in the league. What we can definitely address though - and desperately need to are all of:
1. Getting the right structure in place (DoF etc.) without some manager wanting to poke his nose in and get his favoured appointment in
2. Setting right any other structural ills - like scouting etc. if they're off
3. Bringing back positivity in all interactions - media, interviews, outlook etc.
4. Getting a better style of play - more attacking, better cohesion in MF, attack and between them
5. Most importantly, get the fans feeling good again

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He was the assistant manager at the time and it was as late as March. We have more than half a season to play.
Hiddink had a 37% winning ratio in his second stint as Chelsea interim manager. He was also appointed in December mid.

Yeah let's go for that model. Looks great.

Fracture90

To be fair, he's finished 2nd behind Norway's most successful club, Rosenberg. They're on their 26th league title and Molde have won only 3, 2 of those under Solskjaer.
Yep, just checked. He finished 2nd last 2 years, which I suppose isn't that bad in a 1 team league.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I wish him luck but am not confident about what he can bring.
Blanc would have been perfect.

This was simply for the feel good factor
I agree to an extent. I'm far from bowled over in terms of what he's done in his previous managerial jobs but for an interim appointment it ticks a few boxes; he has experience of management, he has an affinity with the club etc.

I think if it was purely a feelgood factor thing they'd have done what many have suggested, almost tongue in cheek, and gone for Eric. For me he simply doesn't have the experience, nor the bona fides as far as I'm aware, to magically pop up at United and make everything work but in terms of getting the fans giddy I doubt there'd have been anything better.

Enigma_87

You know who
Hiddink had a 37% winning ratio in his second stint as Chelsea interim manager. He was also appointed in December mid.

Yeah let's go for that model. Looks great.
Obviously not flawless model, but I'd trust a more experienced manager to come in and someone with experience in CL. What's wrong with Blanc for example?

crossy1686

career ending
Yep, just checked. He finished 2nd last 2 years, which I suppose isn't that bad in a 1 team league.
He's also been competing with the resources and pull that Rosenberg have in Norway. They guarantee Europa or CL, a bit like Celtic do. So they have all the best players that league can attract.

JonDahl

No idea but I would have had a better backup plan than some ex player who has a shite managerial record. Even Carrick would have been a better choice at least there would be some sort of hope on him being a good manager. That ship has already sailed with Ole.
Complaining about Ole’s record but championing Carrick?

:lol:

beedoubleyou

I am glad to see Mourinho gone. I cannot think of ever having witnessed a club with the ambition to be part of the world elite playing such a dire kind of football as we did.

However, with Mourinho there would have been a small chance to somehow grab the CL. Although playing such abysmal football we never really got slaughtered and got some surprising results against the big clubs.

I guess that OGS will completely change our style of play to a much more attacking brand of football. Hopefully this will not end in a complete disaster.

The main reasons for this appointment might be the fact that OGS is fully aware of being just a short term solution and will make place in the summer without moaning. Others like Blanc or Jardim might not have accepted to be replaced so easily in case the results would have been fine unti the end of the season.
And it should help in negotiations with some of our key players and bring some better mood again.
Remember that shit show against Sevilla FC? Easily the low point of Mourinho's tenure and the moment I turned on him. Even in that Europa winning season we finished second in the group to Fenerbahçe and inched past our opponents in the knockout stages, the game against Celta Vigo was particularly fortuitous with Mourinho employing the most cowardly tactics at home.

We've not damaged our Champions League chances and more than they already were.

KM

Obviously not flawless model, but I'd trust a more experienced manager to come in and someone with experience in CL. What's wrong with Blanc for example?
Man, I thought that United fans obsession with having managers with experience and CL experience would subside after the last two appointments. Clearly not.

waza7111

He might have wanted a more permanent position, something we were not willing to offer as we want Pochettino in the summer.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I was not keen on him as I dont think he's a good enough manager. However, what he might achieve is to get confidence back into the players, that they get back in form and play better individually.

Blanc had much more experience and would have been the better choice but he was not not considered, apparently.

John Blund

It can't get any worse than we've been lately. OGS just needs to fire up Pogba, Martial, Sanchez, Lukaku and Rashford, and we'll be cruising again. "Park the bus, park the bus, Man United" is only fun when we're winning.

R'hllor

72 voted no.

72 miserable gits that will ruin their family's Christmas no doubt.
Why no vote is an issue? Similar shit happened when we voted no for JM 3 years ago, behaviour towards those people led to this point where we had/have camps on this forum. Lets not make same mistake just because tables are turned.

Dont think those who voted no are all trophy chasers, maybe some of them just want different kind of fun.

Questions regarding Ole and what he is won, Cardiff time etc. , we just sacked one of the biggest winners among football managers, so there is that.

Personally, i am more interested in a clubs vision for the future, path how to get there during this interim period, not against him being interim manager but in the same time cant lie and say how his name was on top of my head after JM got sacked.

AndyJ1985

A great choice for interim manager. He gets the club and is the polar opposite of miserable Mourinho.

steeeb

There are two options:

1) A high risk / gamble replacement brought in as a caretaker - but has to be someone to immediately lift spirits. This gives us chance to work behind the scenes to restructure the club like we did with the academy. Ole is a great fit for this. Many are saying about Zidane / Wenger etc - no chance, wrong fit, not a caretaker. There's not many others available either.

2) Bring in someone like Zidane or the other limited options that are available. Spend 500m in Jan. Hope it works. If not, we need to sack him with a replacement lined up and again fall in to the same problems.

Option 1 is far better. The season is already a write-off. Why look for a stop-gap solution? Get a director of football in with the vision we need, then find a manager in the summer when there are more options that also fits this vision and will work together with the DoF.

(If Ole does well, he can also be considered in a permanent role - if he doesn't, nothing to lose the season is a write-off any way).

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Man, I thought that United fans obsession with having managers with experience and CL experience would subside after the last two appointments. Clearly not.
It is not just CL. We need someone who can lead the team and has high level experience. Ole just doesnt have that, the step up from Molde to United is huge. And you just dont know how people will respond to these situations

JonDahl

Why would Blanc want to come here for 6 months with no guarantee of getting the job permanently?

Fracture90

He's also been competing with the resources and pull that Rosenberg have in Norway. They guarantee Europa or CL, a bit like Celtic do. So they have all the best players that league can attract.
Yup, one team league pretty much.

crossy1686

career ending
We don't need another manager to come in and force the club to bow to their way of playing. Ole was one of the most intelligent footballers I've ever seen, he could read a game from the bench and come on in the dying minutes to effect a game instantly by exploiting a weakness he noticed during the game. I would suggest he hasn't lost this ability as a manager. He knows United inside out, he knows what the expectations are, he knows whats expected of the players at a club like United. There doesn't need to be any induction period or slow start, he'll already know exactly how we're going to set up against Cardiff at the weekend and the prep we'll be doing this week before the game.

By the time someone like Blanc gets up and running and the team start playing how he wants them to, we'll be looking to appoint a new manager.

Ole is the right choice right now. Plus, we don't know that Blanc would even consider joining us as a caretaker.

KM

It is not just CL. We need someone who can lead the team and has high level experience. Ole just doesnt have that, the step up from Molde to United is huge. And you just dont know how people will respond to these situations
LvG and Jose both had high level experience and yet they didn't work out.

Enigma_87

You know who
I hope I'm wrong about Ole, but Neville, Keane were unmitigated disasters at managing level with no experience. I'd like him to build his way to United managers position. Even if you use Barca/Real example they have been assistants or reserve team managers before stepping up.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I like how 18 matches at Cardiff is better barometer for judging rather than his seasons at Molde where had won two out of the three league titles they've won in their history.

Also let's ignore the fact that he was under Vincent Tan.

Let's get Big Sam in because he has done at lower level clubs cos that's the only thing that matters.
And the fact that he managed the reserves for two and a half years where he coincidentally worked closely with a certain Paul Pogba. He also said a few months ago that he'd build the team around Pogba, which will be a nice and welcome change from a manager that builds his teams around big lumps and donkeys.

crossy1686

career ending
Mate, he used to play for United, for years, during our most successful period ever. Do you really think he isn't aware of the difference between Molde and United? He fecking coped pretty well before becoming a manager if you ask me...

Some people have incredibly short memories.