Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Skills

Snitch
I hope I'm wrong about Ole, but Neville, Keane were unmitigated disasters at managing level with no experience. I'd like him to build his way to United managers position. Even if you use Barca/Real example they have been assistants or reserve team managers before stepping up.
Ole has been managing for about 10 years now. Started as our reserve team coach, and has spent years managing back home (along with a failed stint at Cardiff).

Smores

Voted no, it's a PR appointment and an ill thought out one at that. We needed someone to steady the ship not a mascot.

That said I'm excited to go on for the ride obv because its Ole :D

JonDahl

I hope I'm wrong about Ole, but Neville, Keane were unmitigated disasters at managing level with no experience. I'd like him to build his way to United managers position. Even if you use Barca/Real example they have been assistants or reserve team managers before stepping up.
Ole was our reserve team manager.

Enigma_87

You know who
Why would Blanc want to come here for 6 months with no guarantee of getting the job permanently?
He's out of a job at the moment and have something to prove after his last appointment. Knows the club, being a former player and if he can get us play good football and get results he might get a shot at permanent job. Being a caretaker if he doesn't have any other plans at the moment is a non brainer really. It's not like he'd be considered a failure given the mess we are in.

Tribec

I'll happily write this season off and not win anything and even miss Europe as long as Ole can get the team playing a brand of football that is similar to that to which we are known for, to get the players looking as if they are enjoying themselves once more and for us the fans to be looking forward to watching United again. To many have said it's been no fun over the past two managers. Get the next manager lined up, get the DOF lined up and make sure that next year we come back as a force.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Ole have managed our reserves teams. Rijkaard got fired from Rotterdam and was given a job at Barcelona. Zidane was underwhelming at Madrid reserve teams and was given a job.

This is an INTERIM job and not a permanent one.

It's B Rubble

Chelsea model had Di Matteo too who's their version of OGS. He won them the CL.
This. I thought about RDM when reading the news; All he did was unite a squad and give them belief they can win the CL. His game against Barca was amongst one of the greatest games I have ever watched. Hopefully, Ole can inspire the squad to Go for glory in the FA Cup and CL.

Reactions: KM

Matt007a

Does anyone follow Molde closely enough to know what his football is like? I know he's won titles with them, but there are only really two teams in that league aren't there? How do they play?

Sorry if this has already been covered, but this thread is 22 pages long!

LARulz

I of course wish him the best, loved him as a player but I do feel incredibly underwhelmed by this. Guess it depends what backroom he brings with him, any other ex players to do the dirty work for him (telling Pogba and co where to go if they act like little Prince's again).

It's a stupid assumption based on really not knowing what he is actually like as a manager, but just can't picture him telling the players to get in line if things go wrong. He will command respect for being a United legend but I think a lot of it will be lost on momost of them

crossy1686

career ending
He's out of a job at the moment and have something to prove after his last appointment. Knows the club, being a former player and if he can get us play good football and get results he might get a shot at permanent job. Being a caretaker if he doesn't have any other plans at the moment is a non brainer really. It's not like he'd be considered a failure given the mess we are in.
He's been out of a job for about 2 and a half years, that's not a 'moment'. He's won trophies where ever he's been but he wouldn't be the right fit for us.

Patrick08

It is not just CL. We need someone who can lead the team and has high level experience. Ole just doesnt have that, the step up from Molde to United is huge. And you just dont know how people will respond to these situations
May be sometimes it's best to let the schakles loose and experienced managers do not necessarily allow that.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Whatever people think of this appointment good, bad, or indifferent this is likely to be short-term unless Ole does something miraculous. Unlike some other United players of the past, Ole comes with no baggage with fans or the board and will be hugely popular with the fans.

This appointment gives the club time to now focus on hiring the best footballing brains available to work alongside the directors on the long-term strategy of the club. Nothing is guaranteed to be a success but I can understand the thought process behind such a strategy.

Those not sure and wants the club to take a different route I'm sure the forum members would love to hear differing views. This is what we're here to discuss.

I agree that he is the only one of our ex players that can right now been taken serious as manager.

However, if he had not been a club legend most of us would call this appointment a stupid decision.
A scandanavian manager from an obscure team with limited PL experience would be a strange decision if it wasn't OGS.

Murray3007

great appointment for me, will be interesting if we as a club will be looking at any transfers in Jan, could still do with a few players for a start, my other angle is what if he does a great job, manages to finish top 4, gets a fa cup win, semi finals of CL, then will be a massive decision as do we keep him on or go for someone else.

crossy1686

career ending
Does anyone follow Molde closely enough to know what his football is like? I know he's won titles with them, but there are only really two teams in that league aren't there? How do they play?
Can't really comment on the football played as I haven't watched them recently but it's about what you would expect from a pupil of SAF though. See video below.

My brother in law played for Lilleström SK in the Norwegian PL a few years back, he's a big United fan and was buzzing about playing against Molde and meeting Solskjaer. When he played them they got beat comprehensively and as a defender he said that the movement from the front men was great and Solskjaer was constantly communicating with the team and letting them know what was expected throughout the whole 90 minutes.

Matt007a

Can't really comment on the football played as I haven't watched them recently but it's about what you would expect from a pupil of SAF though. See video below.

My brother in law played for Lilleström SK in the Norwegian PL a few years back, he's a big United fan and was buzzing about playing against Molde and meeting Solskjaer. When he played them they got beat comprehensively and as a defender he said that the movement from the front men was great and Solskjaer was constantly communicating with the team and letting them know what was expected throughout the whole 90 minutes.

Thanks man. I'm pleased to hear Phelan will be his assistant as well.

great appointment for me, will be interesting if we as a club will be looking at any transfers in Jan, could still do with a few players for a start, my other angle is what if he does a great job, manages to finish top 4, gets a fa cup win, semi finals of CL, then will be a massive decision as do we keep him on or go for someone else.
It would be... But, the timing doesn't really work. I would hope we have an agreement in place (not officially announced) prior to the end of the season for the new manager, and so I don't think he has the time to show whether he could be the perm manager.

Enigma_87

You know who
Ole have managed our reserves teams. Rijkaard got fired from Rotterdam and was given a job at Barcelona. Zidane was underwhelming at Madrid reserve teams and was given a job.

This is an INTERIM job and not a permanent one.
Serra Ferrer, Rexach before Rijkaard weren't the best ones. Rijkaard was a success and fits your point, but still he made SF's at the EURO's before that. Ole has been managing in a mickey mouse league, despite the years of experience.

Many interims have been given a shot at a perm one if they do good and 6 months is a plenty of time till the end of the season.

SteveW

Whatever people think of this appointment good, bad, or indifferent this is likely to be short-term unless Ole does something miraculous. Unlike some other United players of the past, Ole comes with no baggage with fans or the board and will be hugely popular with the fans.

This appointment gives the club time to now focus on hiring the best footballing brains available to work alongside the directors on the long-term strategy of the club. Nothing is guaranteed to be a success but I can understand the thought process behind such a strategy.

Those not sure and wants the club to take a different route I'm sure the forum members would love to hear differing views. This is what we're here to discuss.
Agreed. It's a much needed detox while the club works on getting the right DOF and manager.

Farfetched

1 June 2019, Champions League Final
"And Solskjaer has won it........again"

A muppet can dream....:p
I can dream again, can’t I? 1999 & 2019 has a nice CL symmetry to it. It’s been a nightmare of late let’s hope now it’s 6 months of sweet dreams!

JonDahl

Sorry if this has already been covered, but this thread is 22 pages long!
Check the threadmarks mate - someone did a write up a few hours ago.

crossy1686

career ending
A scandanavian manager from an obscure team with limited PL experience would be a strange decision if it wasn't OGS.
It's only the same as other big European teams taking punts on managers from Holland or France, or dare a say it, a certain Chelsea taking a gamble on an obscure manager from the Portuguese league. Also, Roy Hodgeson went over and managed in Sweden for a few years, won a couple of trophies and he's done alright.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yeah, all that winning must have been a terrible environment to be in.
What are the expectations from Ole ? If they are just to finish the season because we don't have a DoF then we could've employ pretty much anyone and Ole is one of the cheapest options on the table, which I guess makes sense.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Mate, he used to play for United, for years, during our most successful period ever. Do you really think he isn't aware of the difference between Molde and United? He fecking coped pretty well before becoming a manager if you ask me...

Some people have incredibly short memories.
But obviously not as a manager. Just look at Keane - an amazing player but a shit manager. It's very different

Djemba-Djemba

It's only the same as other big European teams taking punts on managers from Holland or France, or dare a say it, a certain Chelsea taking a gamble on an obscure manager from the Portuguese league. Also, Roy Hodgeson went over and managed in Sweden for a few years, won a couple of trophies and he's done alright.
He'd just won the Champions League :lol:

BlackBen

I'm not entirely over the moon with the potential appointment of Solskjaer as an interim manager but I think it's the right thing to do as having a club legend who is well respected and liked in charge of the team will bring some fun back to the team.

I think people are failing to realize that this is just a temporary job. Ole is being brought in to bring some positivity back to the club and to try and get players back to performing at their capable levels. To me, OGS's job is to prepare this team and leave them in the best condition for the next full time manager whilst also trying to attain a respectable league position and have some impressive cup runs.

What's not to like about it? Come on, it's Ole after all, let's enjoy it while it's lasts. It can't be worse than the toxic period of Mourinho.

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
What are the expectations from Ole ? If they are just to finish the season because we don't have a DoF then we could've employ pretty much anyone and Ole is one of the cheapest options on the table, which I guess makes sense.
Well I think the sacking of Jose now means there will be no January signings so that won't be an issue. We'll get a DoF in and look towards the summer for new recruits. I suspect the expectations for Ole will be to go as far as you can in the CL, try to make the top 4 and win a domestic trophy. I'm sure if he manages to win anything and we look good he'll be considered on a perm basis.