Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

United Hobbit

It says something about how bad we've been lately under Mourinho and co that when I watched us Saturday I didn't think we were completely awful, which shows just how dire we've been lately. I was watching it with a Liverpool supporter and even he said hes seen us play far worse.

I thought Wolves looked very good, certainly not like a newly promoted side. However was this because we were so bad they were made to look better than they were? Pogba definitely had one of his infuriating games where he completely went missing.

Also Wolves seem to turn up against the big clubs, they've taken points off a lot of the top teams in the league this season and had they performed better against the smaller clubs could be looking at a Europa place. Let's hope they get to the final as they are the only team left who could beat City.

What concerned me about the starting line up was how many players we had that wer just returning from injury feels a bit like we rushed them back however I'm no fitness expert but did that perhaps not help?

I think the international break, which I hate at the best of times as it usually results in injuries, has actually come at a bad time for us, I'd rather be going into it off the back of a draw or win having halted the "slump." However we now lose several players including Rashford who I'm not convinced is fully fit after the Liverpool game and others so Ole cant work with the players.

I don't know enough about tactics to say Ole is bad tactically but the things that I'm thinking at the moment are:

1- can Ole get the players straight back and fired up in our next game and get us back at the least drawing, preferably winning and halting the slump? It could start to get a bit tense if we lose again.

2- if we can't get Pochettino should we not choose Ole who else is available that would be good enough?

3- Is Ole potentially going to be a good/ very good manager but not world class which is what you need 99% of the time to be winning the league? Could he if given a year or so build a squad and become world class or will he always fall just short? However who is available that is a truly world class manager?

4- signings- perhaps this run of form is a blessing in disguise as its showing the squad isnt good enough- several people raised the concerns on previous threads Ole was almost doing too well with the squad potentially making the owners think we don't need summer signings. However we are not Ole- if he doesn't think we need signings I would be very concerned about his appointment given a large majority of the fan base can see we do. Unfortunately we probably wont get his thoughts on this matter. Also who does he want to keep or sign. Again not something we would be privvy to.

5- would Ole go back to the style he played when he first joined if he were to have pre season/ the players suitable for this? If so I'd be happy to see this.

I must say I'm glad he didn't come out and try to "sugar coat" the result Saturday by saying we played well or anything like Moyes was prone to doing it's just is he able to fix that or is he perhaps reaching a ceiling. One thing to note is all the players seem pro Ole however itll be interesting to see if they still are if the less favourable results continue.

Last edited:

TRUERED89

That was the big mistake in the last two games, obviously some of them weren't available last week but I am sure you get the point
The biggest mistake was starting that tractor Matic, feel sorry for McT what did he do wrong against PSG, Palace & Southampton to get benched?!?

USREDEVIL

I'm fully behind our baby faced assassin.

He has completely turned this club around in terms of mood and results albeit with a blip which is not at all surprising. We were completely dire with Mourinho and he was picking fights with everyone, turning our club into a joke. That is all gone in the space of barely a few months. It's easy to "monday morning quarterback" when we lose but guess what, the players need to be looked at as well. We are not a complete unit yet and i don't think anyone thinks we are. Need to make a few defensive signing and a right winger and then see what Ole can do next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

flappyjay

I know he is desperate to impress and get the job but he shouldn't be rushing players back from injury. It was lingard and now Martial seems to be out. He had no business playing that much against wolves.

Lord Vader

We got outplayed by Wolves, a mid table premier league club.

That will do alot with our players confidence. I really fear for Ole now, if players stops believing in him it's over.
Yeah, it's all over. There's no hope. Someone call the suicide watch hotline...

Good grief. Wolves are a good team that has shown throughout the season they can beat anyone and anybody at any given time. They have as much right to win games -- and even win titles -- as your team (which is not my team).

United has recently been punching above their weight because they finally rid themselves of a psychologically abusive/oppressive manager who, just a couple of years ago, United fans were actually clamoring for, believing, as all Manchester United fans do, that their club has a God-given right to forever get the big trophies. But, like Sunderland, Rovers, and Leeds, all dynasties come to an end.

I like Ole, but I see United fans turning on him in a heartbeat next season (assuming he stays) once a losing streak begins.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I know he is desperate to impress and get the job but he shouldn't be rushing players back from injury. It was lingard and now Martial seems to be out. He had no business playing that much against wolves.
Martial wasn't rushed back. He was training since before the Arsenal game.

redmanx

Good grief. Wolves are a good team that has shown throughout the season they can beat anyone and anybody at any given time. They have as much right to win games -- and even win titles -- as your team (which is not my team).

United has recently been punching above their weight because they finally rid themselves of a psychologically abusive/oppressive manager who, just a couple of years ago, United fans were actually clamoring for, believing, as all Manchester United fans do, that their club has a God-given right to forever get the big trophies. But, like Sunderland, Rovers, and Leeds, all dynasties come to an end.

I like Ole, but I see United fans turning on him in a heartbeat next season (assuming he stays) once a losing streak begins.
I find it incredible and extremely distasteful that already there are supposed fans turning on Ole; a blip was always on the cards with the injury problems we have but its not as if we've been playing total crap. For gods sake give the guy a chance!

Acquire Me

I find it incredible and extremely distasteful that already there are supposed fans turning on Ole; a blip was always on the cards with the injury problems we have but its not as if we've been playing total crap. For gods sake give the guy a chance!
Just forget them. Its bad ”fans”. Some people expect us to win every match. Thats not going to happen. Every manager is going to have shit games.

tomaldinho1

Regardless of what happens from now till end of the season he deserves the shot obviously. Next season, for me the acid test would be if he is able to improve the fitness of United players. For too long this bunch has gone by without exerting themselves to the fullest and getting satisfied with too little too soon and then start believing that wins will come in automatically.
A theme that everyone is aware of but we often overlook

I know there's no way to measure it but we must be collectively one of the least fit teams int he PL, we always seem gassed late game and the high intensity teams always cause problems.

Paul_Scholes18

Just forget them. Its bad ”fans”. Some people expect us to win every match. Thats not going to happen. Every manager is going to have shit games.
They have bad games of course, but people also have the right to critizise the manager. If someone would call for his head right now it would be stupid. He deserves to stay though even if I can understand some people wanting someone with more experience.

Big games to come and a big test. We need to be fully up for the Barca game and also tactically ready to stand a chance. You can create chances against them, but you need to defend bloody good to stop Messi. Stop the service and space is the best way to do it.

DenResched

Anyway, can just anyone pick anyone who available at the summer and can do better? With proof.

Pochettino maybe got attractive tactical approach. But from what I seen especially this season. He's just gonna be another Wenger. Attractive football, but average motivational or man management skill. Or maybe tactic above anything. Obviously not.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedPnutz

With the way some fans are reacting maybe the best model is a pool of pay-as-they-manage managers. Like if Manager A doesn’t win two in a row, we switch to Manager B (maybe selected through a vote! By fans!) and Manager B will be at the wheel until he fails to win two games and the next Manager is placed in charge. Maybe that’s what the game-by-game analysis kneejerk fans deserve.

cyril C

What length of contract would you offer Ole?
Never too long, 3 years rolling is a ceiling. No more Moyes contract. Beside, if Ole can really deliver and achieve greatness you need to renew contract and raise his wages anyway.

croadyman

I made this very point on a MUTV phone in tonight and unsurprisingly neither Paddy or Maysie thought I was right

zenith

The great thing about ole is that he's showing flexibility in his management style and learning from his mistakes, which is much more than what we could say of earlier managers and for that alone he deserves time.

Although, if the club wants to wait till the end of the season especially given the super intense April that we have, that is perfectly understandable too.

GM K

And it is not just a United thing. It is the very nature of modern football. It used to shock me but now, I have made peace with the fickle nature of the modern fan.

ZupZup

I find it so strange when I read the knee jerk comments from fans after a poor result. Suddenly Ole is tactically poor and not the man for the job... back on the Poch wagon we go. As if other managers are not having poor results themselves. Pochettino is four league matches without a win... three losses and a draw. The only reason it isn't four league losses on the bounce is because Arsenal missed a last minute penalty to let them off the hook.

It's this whole 'grass is greener' attitude. These fans seem oblivious to the fact that other teams have poor results, poor performances... their strikers miss chances too. Not every single top player puts in an 8/10 performance every match. These unrealistic expectations are so irrational.

TRUERED89

I think its just an excuse to avoid international duty, I think he'll be fine by the time PL rolls back around.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I find it so strange when I read the knee jerk comments from fans after a poor result. Suddenly Ole is tactically poor and not the man for the job... back on the Poch wagon we go. As if other managers are not having poor results themselves. Pochettino is four league matches without a win... three losses and a draw. The only reason it isn't four league losses on the bounce is because Arsenal missed a last minute penalty to let them off the hook.

It's this whole 'grass is greener' attitude. These fans seem oblivious to the fact that other teams have poor results, poor performances... their strikers miss chances too. Not every single top player puts in an 8/10 performance every match. These unrealistic expectations are so irrational.
Well said.

This forum would have been a cesspool of moaners had Ole not come in and turned the season around. The fact he reignited our season is enough to give him a massively wide berth. We were the better team against Chelsea. The team had an off day against Wolves. Happens, get over it!

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Ole will never be disliked by United fans.

If a time comes when he's not progressing the team as a manager he will leave quietly with some made up reason from both the club and Ole.

AJ10

Bloody hell, Reading some of the comments here. :lol:

You'd think going to wolves was easy as shown by other top teams in the prem. Spurs got destroyed by wolves at their own ground and wolves aren't even that good away from home but its ok since other managers don't need to win every game unlike ours. :rolleyes:

TRUERED89

There's been massive over-reactions/knee-jerks, but honestly that performance against Wolves was worrying, anymore performances like that and top 4/CL Semi's are done, there's no room for mistakes and this stage of the season. I hope Ole gives them a fecking hot hair dryer because that match was just appalling from the whole team and they need to have a good look at themselves and wake the hell up! that was like a Jose team all over again. Are they still high off Paris? Are they below par because of recent injury returns? Were they over confident and thought it would be easy? Whatever it is, it has to be dealt with ASAP

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ole will never be disliked by United fans.

If a time comes when he's not progressing the team as a manager he will leave quietly with some made up reason from both the club and Ole.
Yep, that’s the thing with Ole. He’s got dignity and integrity. If it’s time to step down he will make that decision quietly and at the right time.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Anyone can lose a game. Oles created a good attitude but we need a strong summer. Hopefully we bounce back next game in style.

tomaldinho1

There's been massive over-reactions/knee-jerks, but honestly that performance against Wolves was worrying, anymore performances like that and top 4/CL Semi's are done, there's no room for mistakes and this stage of the season. I hope Ole gives them a fecking hot hair dryer because that match was just appalling from the whole team and they need to have a good look at themselves and wake the hell up! that was like a Jose team all over again. Are they still high off Paris? Are they below par because of recent injury returns? Were they over confident and thought it would be easy? Whatever it is, it has to be dealt with ASAP
We're not in the semis...

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I find our lack of DoF more worrying than the manager situation.

Unless Ole has a support structure that can aid him in transfers, he will be up against it in a broken system.

Anustart89

But we can potentially be there, anymore silly mistakes and we certainly wont be..
So you reckon that the only reason we might not progress against a much better team is if we make silly mistakes?

Just the fact that people are blurting our stuff like that shows how far Ole’s taken us in three months with a squad that even Mourinho, after two and a half years, claimed wasn’t his.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

You'd think going to wolves was easy as shown by other top teams in the prem. Spurs got destroyed by wolves at their own ground and wolves aren't even that good away from home but its ok since other managers don't need to win every game unlike ours. :rolleyes:
I think half the fans on here don't actually watch other football or the premier league outside of United. They see the other teams once or twice a year and inspect them to get rolled over 6-0 every match. Things have changed. Wolves are no mugs and have given all the top teams tight games, anybody expecting to go to molineux and spank them are deluded.

TRUERED89

So you reckon that the only reason we might not progress against a much better team is if we make silly mistakes?
Just the fact that people are blurting our stuff like that shows how far Ole’s taken us in three months with a squad that even Mourinho, after two and a half years, claimed wasn’t his.
No of course not, Messi could come and score a hattrick at OT without us doing anything particularly wrong, but anything resembling another Wolves performance even once more, and we are done for the season, Barca will kill us over any mistake, you can safely assume that. There's no margin for error now, at all!

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

Yeah, it is crazy. We weren't great at all but Wolves are in a great place right now and thoroughly deserve it. Their fans must be loving it right now.

Gator Nate

No of course not, Messi could come and score a hattrick at OT without us doing anything particularly wrong, but anything resembling another Wolves performance even once more, and we are done for the season, Barca will kill us over any mistake, you can safely assume that. There's no margin for error now, at all!
That may be true, but Ole did not put us in that position.

He'sRaldo

Love Ole, would love if he eventually proves himself & gets the job. With that said, he needs to be very careful in making players not believe in him. He came in and talked about players stepping up, how to be a supersub, etc. and when the time comes for him to trust the players who helped him and stepped up for him, he still went for those "favourites" who had just returned from injury.

Even though there is logic in the choice, the risk of making the players feel like he was being dishonest is high. This imo is the one mistake he should not make. He should keep everyone hungry by doing what he's been doing (albeit forced by injury) which is giving rotational/ fringe/ youth players proper rewards for their effort. Once he starts using favourites, his greatest strength, extracting 110% from everyone, will be gone.

If he continues the way he did against Wolves, the favourites may end up complacent and the fringes disinterested. Really hope that doesn't happen.

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

But we can potentially be there, anymore silly mistakes and we certainly wont be..
We could also potentially win the league...

I think people need to just realise our level, we're not an elite team at the moment. Wolves are a v good team at home and we, being one of the least fit sides in the league, really struggle against teams that press and play possession football. We are flying above our actual level IMO and we shouldn't be surprised if we drop the odd point away from home in particular - even more so when the top 4 is absolute priority in my eyes.

Let's not burden Ole with silly expectations - he's lost one game vs PSG, Arsenal away and Wolves away and won the other 14 + 2 draws. So far it's miraculous stuff. By the end of the season, let's see if our momentum has slowed, if we get top 4 and where things stand.