Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

klsv

I'm surprised how people have given up on top 4 when we're sixth and 9 points behind 4th with 21 games to go.
It's 11 points and our GD is 0, Spurs +15 and Chelsea +21. It's possible if we go on a crazy record-breaking run, but no club has managed to close a gap so wide in December to break into top 4.

Heinzesight

If he does well in the next 5 months 2 things are certain, one he’d be a candidate for the job full time and two if he leaves his stock as risen dramatically regardless.

He’s not expected to beat PSG and top 4 is looking almost impossible, a good FA Cup run coupled with playing attacking football will probably be seen as a success.

People want the club to make the right decisions then moan about not getting a pedigree name at the club, they’re taking time to access everything rather than panicing and getting it wrong again, this is 100% the correct process. We have 5-6 months to appoint a DoF and look at managerial candidates, great stuff by the club.
Bang on.

Redforever<3

Moyes and Mourinho were just bad appointments and everyone could see that apart from our board and some stubborn fans, so their failure was not a surprise. Only stubborn fans thought that Mourinho could have been a success here when you had managers like Pep and Klopp as his opponent.

Pep and Zidane were doing wonder with their respective Barca and Madrid B-teams, so it was not a surprise they still succeed at higher level with the team and players they had. Ole has already proved that he was incompetent at this level, he stint at Cardiff was a disaster and nothing to be confident with; and sorry the Norwegian league is not a good barometer to assess a manager or a player.
Norwegian league is not a good barometer but Barca and Madrid b-teams are?

I guess it must be true as they say, that love makes you blind...

Neo_Mufc

I guess all we want to see is stability brought back to the club in the interim whilst the club who have given themselves a good amount of time to pursue a manager who is the right fit for the club.

He can't surely do worse than Mourinho.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Rubbish Hiddink did it twice with Chelsea, Rafa did it with Chelsea and Heynckes did it with Bayern last year.

This appointment just about sums up Woodward tenure, Manchester United have now been reduced to bringing in a manager effectively on loan from Molde whose last job in England was getting Cardiff relegated.
Heynckes came out of retirement to take over Bayern, Hiddink has a close relationship with Abramovich, and had shown little interest in long term, club projects both time he was hired, and Benitez's two jobs before Chelsea were leaving Liverpool and Inter mid-table.

Solskjaer's done well at Molde, and if the club want someone to lay some foundations of getting the club back to its core values, he's a fine choice as an interim when the pressure is off until the end of the season.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
A big gamble. Should have gone all out and got a permanent manager.
I'd much rather we evaluate our options properly and lay a proper foundation for someone to come in at the start of next season, than rush into hiring someone with immediate pressure to drag us out of the shit.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
A big gamble. Should have gone all out and got a permanent manager.
Would rather we took our time to make such a big decision. Arsenal, for example, had a lengthy interview process and have made a good choice. I would like to us do the same, in addition to restructuring of backroom staff. Moreover, quality managers are typically not available mid-season and thus it is better to spend the next 5 months putting a structure in place for a new manager.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Rubbish Hiddink did it twice with Chelsea, Rafa did it with Chelsea and Heynckes did it with Bayern last year.

This appointment just about sums up Woodward tenure, Manchester United have now been reduced to bringing in a manager effectively on loan from Molde whose only job outside his comfort zone of Molde was getting Cardiff relegated.
Hiddink was unemployed for a long time and was extremely well paid for the contract period (one of his demands, he's not cheap) and Rafa is... Rafa. Rafa Benitez is that manager that in the same season managed Real Madrid and got relegated at Newcastle, for crying out loud. Not even in FM you can make stuff like this :lol:

If that was rubbish tell me why so many clubs have tons of difficulties on getting managers with reputation on winter breaks? Because no one wants to risk their careers on a wrecking ship.

Nirv

I was skeptical when we appointed Mourinho, as we would be parking the bus more than tearing up defences, which is football I dread. But having gone through “keep crossing till we hit one” Moyes and “pass sideways till death” LVG, I was on the camp that Mourinho was probably the best bet.

For 2.5 years, we watched what we expected and signed up for, defensive football and the usual constant moaning and dramas, but without much results to shout for.

Now, all I hope to see is someone to bring back some positivity and actual Man Utd style attacking football, doesn’t matter if we lose, just not get us relegated. The season is almost a write off anyway.

OGS is one of the few who can do that I believe and have made me once again look forward to our next match.

Last edited by a moderator:

vidic blood & sand

It's 11 points and our GD is 0, Spurs +15 and Chelsea +21. It's possible if we go on a crazy record-breaking run, but no club has managed to close a gap so wide in December to break into top 4.
Very few clubs have been capable of breaking into the top 4 simply because they're not top 4 quality. Obviously our performances have to be far more consistent, and we need Arsenal and Chelsea to lose some games, but if they do lose a couple, its on.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I love Ole.. he is one of a small number of players I call legends but we need more than a fecking stupid PR trick right now. He has no pedigree as a successful PL manager; this is just to get the fans back onside (not that most of us were ever off it: most of us our Red till I die). More shambles from a shambolic bunch of twats at the top of the club

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Complaining about Ole’s record but championing Carrick?

:lol:
I am not championing Carrick but Carrick has not already tarnished his managerial record where as ole has. Neither would have been a good appointment.

All 3 United

I get that you don't think that achievements in the Norwegian league matter, that's fair enough, but why ruin your own arguments by lying about and distorting what he's actually done? He's finished 1st, 1st, 6th, 5th, 2nd and 2nd for Molde. The one season you seem to think is of importance, they at least won the cup, and he thus again brought them to Europe. This on the back of losing four of the key players from the previous season. (The next season, without him, they won the double, so he didn't exactly leave a shambles when he went to Cardiff.)
You point to the fact that without him (when he was getting Cardiff relegated) they won the double as a positive? Because he didn’t leave a shambles behind him. Ok.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
If he does well in the next 5 months 2 things are certain, one he’d be a candidate for the job full time and two if he leaves his stock as risen dramatically regardless.

He’s not expected to beat PSG and top 4 is looking almost impossible, a good FA Cup run coupled with playing attacking football will probably be seen as a success.

People want the club to make the right decisions then moan about not getting a pedigree name at the club, they’re taking time to access everything rather than panicing and getting it wrong again, this is 100% the correct process. We have 5-6 months to appoint a DoF and look at managerial candidates, great stuff by the club.
Good post. Nothing worse than a panic appointment at this point.

Just try and buckle up and enjoy the ride. It's probably best to shift our mindset to "this season was a write off anyway"....so anything we achieve, above trying to play good attacking football and having a committed team out there, would just be a massive, massive bonus on top.

Bocca9978

It is a strange move, but I really think that we are holding out for Poch in the summer, the only way this makes sense. Will cost us Millions
(34Million) to get him but if we are serious, we will do it.
Don't worry, our board will haggle. Will be £50 million.

All 3 United

Really? It's clear to the whole wide world who our choice of manager is. That's Poch. It's impossible to happen midseason. Would you rather the inept board attempt to hire someone permanently now instead of going after their first option in the summer? Not to mention no top tier manager who is currently out of a job (Conte and Zidane and if you want to count Jardim as one) is going to take a job midseason. You say people have a loser's belief because we think the season is over, well I think you're suffering from delusions of grandeur. FA Cup can be randomly won by anyone at any time, no reason to assume changing managers would increase/decrease that chance. UCL is a pipe dream and the league is gone. Top 4 is a small possibility but I'd argue making a change can't make us any worse.
I get the fact that we are going after a permanent manager in the summer, although I’m not convinced that will be Pochettino. However there must have been another manager available with some sort of experience at this level to fill the interim role. Let’s put it this way, based on managaement history and statistics, I would have put our chances significantly higher of finishing in the top 4 with Jose as opposed to with Ole. It’s the old Liverpool boot room concept.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
[

All true, but I guarantee Solskjaer is going for more than that.

Top 4 + CL + FA Cup :)

RedNed77

I'm surprised how people have given up on top 4 when we're sixth and 9 points behind 4th with 21 games to go.
This season has been similar to the 16/17 season in terms of competition at the top. Remember when we were invincibles and ended up 6th for nearly the entire season. Arsenal have suffered something similar. They've lost once since the 2nd game of the season and are still 5th. The top 4 are just not dropping points this year, the chances of us clawing back the current deficit is near impossible if it carries on as it has.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ole will become a great manager here.
What people don’t see, is all these years playing as super sub, he spend most of his time reading the match from the bench, then making a big impact in the game. That’s basically how great managers do their job.

All 3 United

The Gerrard that's got Rangers top (admittedly halfway though season)?

Nobody's saying it's perfect but we're not in a perfect situation?

How about being positive/supportive, give the guy a break and wait and see? (and again, if Phelan is there, that's a plus).

(Edit. Ok, you don't like Ole. Who would YOU have picked? .... who's available?)
That’s part of the problem, I love ole but fear this will tarnish his reputation at the club. He is not qualified for this job in any shape or form. Personally I would have gone for Conte, given him a 6 month contract with a view to making it permanent if successful and approved by the new DOF (if this is true or not that’s what I would have said).

I am going to leave it here and look forward to Saturday when I will be 100% behind Ole and the team.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Ole has a banner in the Stretford end. If that doesn’t get you authority over some of our players...
I bet the fans will mostly be on his side in a player vs manager situation.

Not too sure that'll happen in the short time he'll be at United though. Mourinho, a far more toxic character, actually lasted a season before pissing everyone off.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
That’s part of the problem, I love ole but fear this will tarnish his reputation at the club. He is not qualified for this job in any shape or form. Personally I would have gone for Conte, given him a 6 month contract with a view to making it permanent if successful and approved by the new DOF (if this is true or not that’s what I would have said).

I am going to leave it here and look forward to Saturday when I will be 100% behind Ole and the team.
What makes you think Conte would have wanted to come here, and more importantly accept a derisory 6 month contract?

He is not far from the top tier of current managers, therefore it would be a bizarre offer.

red forever

Hiddink was unemployed for a long time and was extremely well paid for the contract period (one of his demands, he's not cheap) and Rafa is... Rafa. Rafa Benitez is that manager that in the same season managed Real Madrid and got relegated at Newcastle, for crying out loud. Not even in FM you can make stuff like this :lol:
I'm not suggesting Hiddink or Rafa but I'm merely pointing out that when you said that 'no unemployed manager with some reputation wouldn't accept a 6 month contract ever' you were wrong and I have provided 3 examples which prove that you were wrong. :lol:

Phil Osophy

Phelan coming back is very welcome news, he knows well what's this all about. And I didn't remember that Ole managed Pogba before, so that's a point too. I'm seeing now that he's been supportive about him, so maybe he can get more from Paul now. I don't expect big achievements to be honest but at least we'll clean the atmosphere inside and around the team which is very much needed, and we'll have some incentives to follow the team closely during this short transition until the summer.

The truth is I would have signed Jardim months ago as I rate him highly, so he'd be able to evaluate the team now and start next season with some advantage. But if people at the club want Pochettino, and they are planning to rebuild the club structures then it makes sense to wait.

From that point and being realistic, tell me who's going to come here for 6 months and guarantee us big improvements in that time. Our options are limited, so instead of signing some Hiddink profile we've decided to appeal to that United mystique by signing Solskjaer, and an authorized voice in Phelan. I'm supercritical with those ruling the club as I don't rate anyone of them in football matters, but this makes perfect sense all things considered.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
The Norwegian season is over for now and they only start in March. So he has been released by his club Molde temporary till end of April. He is on loan from his club and he goes back to Norway in May.
I meant a permanent manager leaving a club for us, for example Pochetino

yamo123x

lovely guy brilliant servant to the club. I really hope it works out. I have my reservations about whether he is a big enough personality and has enough experience to take on the enormity of the role even in the short term...i guess this is why Fodslap Phelan is there to help.. but i back him and wish him well.
Players need to step up now and earn their corn. No excuses

Poch is the one for us in the summer and im sure this is well underway in the background. My worry is that if Ole does really well it will be harsh for us not to offer him role full time.

Lookatu

I for one am very excited about the appointment.
My favourite player growing up, never complained when he was left out of the team just got on with it and scored a lot of very important goals.
Comes across as an absolute gentleman with buckets of class and has a fair bit of managerial experience too.

I think he will play attacking football, I think he will get more from Sanchez, Fred, Pogba, Bailly and Lukaku, I also think we could see the return of a United side that doesn't drop back into their own box if they manage to take the lead . . . but I Know I'm excited to watch Man United play away at Cardiff this weekend . . . that's a million miles from how i felt last Sunday at 6pm.

That's what it's all supposed to be about really.