Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I was so depressed the day he retired. Just felt like a part of my childhood vanished. Now it's all coming back. The old Manchester United I knew. I need to not get sentimental.... aghhhh feck it. Manchester United is back!

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
OGS: It's great to come home
To kick-off, he’s told MUTV: “It’s great. It feels like coming home. It’s been a few whirlwind days. It’s been very hectic. It’s great to see everyone again.”

OGS on what's to come
I’m going to enjoy the ride. It’s six months. I’m back home. I’m going to be myself. The club is running a process to find the next manager so I’m going to be myself in the meantime with Mick, Kieran and Michael. We’ll get the players enjoying their football again.

OGS on the upcoming games
The amount of games coming up is no problem because we’ve got quality players and they’ll get a chance to show that they’re Man Utd players. We’re in a results business and we want to win games. That’s my job to help the players do. We want to see them play the football they can do.

OGS on the club set-up
We’ve got a great set-up. The analysts were watching Cardiff this morning. I’ve seen the teams, I watch the Premier League. It’s about us though, not the opposition. We want to see the players express themselves. Our main focus is us, the opposition comes later.

OGS: Everyone will get a chance
We have to rotate. Everyone will get a chance. Everyone starts with a clean slate. You’ve got to start somewhere. i’ve seen the last few games. You pick a team now and you move on. Everyone will get their chance.

OGS on pride
I’m proud of my career as a player. i understand this club, I know the club. Being in the gaffer’s seat is very special.

OGS: We're going to restore pride
When I scored on my debut Eric was there and it was a brilliant feeling. You felt comfortable at Old Trafford and you want the players to feel at home there too. It’s about the players being proud of their performance and the fans being proud of their team.

OGS on Sir Alex Ferguson
I’ve had 300-400 games as a first-team manager. I’m confident. I’ve won the league, I’ve won cups, I’ve been relegated. It’s about man management. It’s about managing players, staff and it’s about getting the best out of everyone. The boss [SAF] will always be the best at that. I get my managerial style from him. He’s been the biggest influence but then again we’re different. I’m a different personality. I like to speak to people, I like to engange with people. I want to see people express themselves. That makes me happy.

OGS on Mike Phelan
That was the first thing I thought about. I’m young. Kieran and Michael are young. I rang him and he was at a coaching course in Burnley when I rang him. He’s an incredible calming influence. His football knowledge is really really good.

OGS on Michael Carrick
When he was signed I played with him for a season. I watched Michael evolve and develop. He was a top player for us and filled Roy Keane’s boots - and that’s not easy. I’ve been on the phone with him quite a few times and he’s been brilliant. I can’t wait to work with him.

OGS on youth
Being a manager in Norway that range of players I’ve been trying to get players on loan from Nicky Butt over to Molde. Kieran McKenna’s done a really good job with the under-18s and he’s really highly regarded. He’s a link between the academy and the first team and that’s crucial.

OGS on tradition
Matt Busby said if you’re good enough you’re old enough and I want to maintain that. I watched the Chelsea game and I was really impressed.

OGS on Emiliano Alvarez and David De Gea
We have the best goalkeeper in the world. He’s been there for eight years and he’s still a young goalkeeper developing. It’s fantastic for me to come in and have him. Maybe I’ll have to do some finishing training to keep him in check!

OGS on Lingard
I gave him his debut in the reserves away at Burnley. Within two minutes that little tiny kid goes in for a 50/50 with a massive centre back [Kevin Long] and the little kid absolutely clattered him. I thought you have a chance. He showed me he had something.

OGS on Rashford
I watched him when he was younger. He was really young. I’ve followed him closely and it’s great to see him where he is now.

OGS on first-team
I’ve spoken to most of them today. It seems like a great set of lads, professional, wanting to do well and learn. I’ve spoken to Michael and Kieran about them all. I’ll take time getting to know them.

OGS on Champions League
I was watching the draw on Monday without a clue as to what was about to happen. PSG is a fantastic chance. Under the lights at Old Trafford. The manager [SAF] talked about those nights. Those are the nights that United come to the fore. I can’t wait for it. But we need to build a foundation in the games leading up to it. We can’t wait.

OGS on Man Utd DNA
The first thing I noticed was that it’s a family club. Everyone is so tight-knit. And then I noticed the winning mentality. Attacking football, giving youth a chance and winning. Biggest club in the world, best supporters in the world, best players in the world.

OGS on that night in Barcelona
It was a fantastic night. It’s gone 20 years now. Unbelievable how time flies.

OGS message to supporters
It’s great to be back home. I promise I’ll give everything I’ve got to get this club back to success. I can’t wait to get going.
What a man.

I’ve got a stiffy, lads.

MonkeysMagic

Oh how my ears have ached to hear a Utd manager speak positively, with passion and just a smile on his face. If Ole carries this through the dressing room it could only be beneficial and you never know might even galvanise the players into playing like a Itd team should. Big thumbs up from me, cant wait to see the team step out on sat.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
For the first time since ferguson we have had a manager praise the players without singling anyone out.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Glad to hear he'll be given everyone a chance. Especially what he said about how we should play our own game, not letting our opponents decide how we set up. He seems like a big fan of Michael Carrick.

Tiber

What a man.

I’ve got a stiffy, lads.

(What a thing to quote! But...) That's the thing with Jose - Even when we supposedly had a good season by coming second (whilst playing medicore football) and even when we won the micky mouse European cup... Jose and United always felt like such a loveless marriage.

He was clearly only ever United boss because he was sacked and United were desperate. I take more pleasure in watching Ole do an interview full of soundbites than watching Jose talk about winning a trophy

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Words on lingard are interesting, must be a fan

Caf does collective groan
I love Lingard me. He's so intelligent on the pitch with his movement and decisions. He also turns up for big games.

I used to be a doubter, but his performances have won me over.

Reminds me a bit of Son in his game (and character in the dressing room).

I think the key of getting the best out of any front 3 in modern footy is movement, and thus for me, if Ole plays a front 3 - as it seems he favours - I'd just love to see variations (with rotation) of Lingard, Martial, Rashford, Sanchez, Rom with Mata behind them.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I don't want Ole to take over pernamently as I am convinced Poch is the only man up to the job, but good god I'd love it if be changed my mind
Imagine having the Ole dynasty for 10-20 years at OT. If he somehow managed to turn things around drastically, get the players playing and OT rocking by the end of the season, Ed would be stupid not to.

Man, I'm so pumped up for Saturday! Been off work a week already and not back till 7th Jan. Was hoping to get tickets to OT, but doubt that's gonna be possible now. So many games to look forward to now.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I love Lingard me. He's so intelligent on the pitch with his movement and decisions. He also turns up for big games.

Reminds me a bit of Son in his game (and character in the dressing room).

I think the key of getting the best out of any front 3 in modern footy is movement, and thus for me, if Ole plays a front 3 - as it seems he favours - I'd just love to see variations (with rotation) of Lingard, Martial, Rashford, Sanchez, Rom with Mata behind them.
I like lingard too, I think he brings balance to the team when played with like minded players

However a good portion of cafites think he’s the devil incarnate. 1 even said recently that he’s a league 1 player!

Borden

Good interview, says all the right things. That's the easy part though. Extremely interested to see how we line up and play against Cardiff. Hopefully we see some major changes in our play.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
That is the most satisfying 24 hours or so I've had as a United fan in a long time. I can't stop smiling. I've haven't smiled in 18 months.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I like lingard too, I think he brings balance to the team when played with like minded players

However a good portion of cafites think he’s the devil incarnate. 1 even said recently that he’s a league 1 player!
To be fair, I've said some daft rubbish when he was given the new contract - I still liked him at the time, but thought it was too much, but in hindsight I was probably viewing it through an old fashioned perspective.

What I don't like is when people personally insult players - be it Rom, Pogba, Matic, Fellaini, and I think Lingard gets a lot of that too.

One thing I was thinking with Lingard/Son comment above, is that if we do bring in Pochettino (as we damn well should), I really think Lingard would be so well suited to Pochettino's football.

I think Pochettino would really bring him on to the next level and we'd see the best out of him.

Same with Rashford - I think both of them under Pochettino would become really, really top players.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
If he gets us playing good football and we make a good push for top 4 and have a solid FA Cup run I can see him getting the gig.

The players liking him (Why wouldn't they?) and the fans adoring him should not be underestimated. He hasn't said it but deep down I bet he's thinking, this is my job to lose.

ash_86

Very refreshing to see a manager with positivity. Good to see that he's not taking anything for granted. He is clear he is here for six months and want to give his best. That's all we could hope for.

Rolaholic

Hitting all the right notes,absolute music to my ears :D:D

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Superb interview. Very infectious. I only hope it has an immeadiate impact on the players.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
:lol: I was genuinely going to do that
It feels like the right thing to do doesn’t it.

I’m actually looking forward to watching a press conference, what kind of bizarre world are we now living in.

Canagel

Saturday can't come quick enough. It's felt like the longest 2/3 days ever

Olril18

What a 24 hours it has been to be a United fan. Being a fan of this club is so stressful.
one has just enjoy the ride. The sun shall shine on old Trafford again,and this is the beginning of the real rebuild.

I'm just happy to see a club legend back regardless of how he performs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bola

Beautiful stuff. Mot sure others noticed it, but he mentions that most of his management approach is influenced by SAF and it looked like his eyes welled up with tears.

That is true passion for the club and one of our greatests

RepardReece

Imagine having the Ole dynasty for 10-20 years at OT. If he somehow managed to turn things around drastically, get the players playing and OT rocking by the end of the season, Ed would be stupid not to.

Man, I'm so pumped up for Saturday! Been off work a week already and not back till 7th Jan. Was hoping to get tickets to OT, but doubt that's gonna be possible now. So many games to look forward to now.
Yeah, I was so close to buying tickets with my mate for us against Huddersfield on boxing day, but changed my mind last minute (literally as I was entering my card details). If I knew OGS was coming in I wouldn't have thought twice. Looked at tickets yesterday after his announcement, sold out.

BlueHaze

I highly enjoyed that interview and now I hope that he will have a successful albeit short period with the team. We all know how much he loves the club and how familiar he is with it's ideals and traditions, hopefully it will reflect on the way we play. This will be the biggest moment of his managerial career and if the players let him down then I hope Tyson Fury pays them a visit.

R'hllor

“If you’re good enough you’re old enough. I really hope. I can be apart of that tradition. There’s some great youngster coming through.”
:drool::drool::drool:

Ulterion

I think Ole will win everyone over, and go on to a long dynasty at United. He lives and breathes United - he's a fan at heart, he knows the club history, the pride, the people, and the United way.

He's also had time to learn, fail and succeed as as a manager now - as he said, he's got 3-400 matches under his managerial belt now. And don't forget he's beaten the likes of Sevilla, Zenit, Celtic and Fenerbahce - and they even won their Europa League group in 2015-16 against Ajax, Celtic and Fenerbahce. This year they beat Zenit St.Petersburg at home, which are now through to the elimination stages of the CL.

But perhaps most important is his positive mindset. He wants to win, and win by attacking - he does it with a smile and can-do attitude, and he gives youth a real chance! He's also tougher than many realize. How many players have stood up to Sir Alex and won?

He also chose to stay at United and fight for his right to play for the club he loved. And finally - he had the balls to take on this job now, and he goes at it like a challenge, but one he thoroughly enjoys! He's 20LEGEND - a Manchester United great already, and only just getting started! :D

Last edited by a moderator: