g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

JohnnyKills

And who do you think is the best available? and in case you get him, will you start again with the rebuilding?
1. Good question. I have no idea apart from the obvious candidates (Pochettino, Jardim) but there must be a better candidate than someone who's come from the Norwegian league.
2. Yes, definitely need to start the rebuilding.

JohnnyKills

I heard it a lot. Which were those games?

Because I remember some of his first games were pretty shit and us needing to grind out some results with some late goals. And, the attacking play was never that smooth in those games. At all.
We won our first three games under him, didn't we. 3-1 Bournemouth, 2-0 Southampton and 1-0 Hull.

We also started off with 10 goals in three games last year, when it looked like we were having a rebirth after winning the Europa League.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
1. Good question. I have no idea apart from the obvious candidates (Pochettino, Jardim) but there must be a better candidate than someone who's come from the Norwegian league.
2. Yes, definitely need to start the rebuilding.
Why? Was there a better candidate for Barcelona than a Frank Rijkaard that had just got Sparta Rotterdam relegated? Didn't turn out so badly for Barca giving him the job, eh?

Ole has plenty of experience making Molde competitive in Europe against richer, stronger sides. With Molde's football heritage he managed to win against Sevilla in Europe, unlike the previous manager.

The guy has managed like 400 first team games. He's not some idiot off the street you know?

We won our first three games under him, didn't we. 3-1 Bournemouth, 2-0 Southampton and 1-0 Hull.

We also started off with 10 goals in three games last year, when it looked like we were having a rebirth after winning the Europa League.

I think this is a bit different...

Last edited:

arthurka

We haven't played good football in years.

This is a pleasant surprise for us too.

Our defense is a problem though. 31 ue goals conceded this season.
It really isnt with this rate we would be +60 goals if these results would have been the norm.

redshaw

I remember after Spurs hammered us 3-0 at OT Jose said he was teaching the players "more advanced attacking football" and that "it would take time to implement"

Funny how Ole did in 3 games what Mou didnt do in almost a 1/3 season
Think it was after 3 minutes of arriving at Carrington

Bwuk

Slowly coming round to the idea - as long as we can keep the current coaching set up. Phelan is vital for me - he’s the one with the experience.

Kapardin

At that time, we were so excited and convinced about Mourinho, we ignored the warning signs in those wins. The Bournemouth goals were a deflection, a penalty and an Ibra wonder goal created out of nowhere; our forwards did not look like they linked well together to score from open play. In the Southampton game, we averaged something like 40% possession with Fellaini holding and got carved apart several times; but Southampton were amazingly wasteful in their finishing when they could have scored 3 or 4. The Hull game was a tiring, boring endeavor where we had no clue how to break down that parked bus and resorted to lumping it, and finally Rashford scored by fluke.

These deficiences came to a head when City schooled us in the fourth game, and we ended the season scoring just 54 fecking goals. As for the second season goal-rush, you might remember that it was more due to the players having purple patches in terms of being clinical where we would be tumescent for 80 minutes and then score 4.

Ole's time in contrast has seen positive football with energy, purpose and goals. While the teams are not big ones, his appointment reminds me of Klopp's first half season with Liverpool where some encouraging signs were there. Comparing his start to Mourinho's football is like chalk and cheese.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
As a non-United fan, but someone who lived in Manchester and has been to Old Trafford many times, it's so refreshing to hear Solskjaer talking. It would be good anyway, but the contrast with Mourinho is literally like chalk and cheese. He's such a likeable and decent guy, you just want him to succeed.

When Mourinho was manager, he's such a cynical, negative, self-absorbed, egocentric, childish, spiteful bore, even though I have a bit of a soft spot for United, I wanted them to lose. I cannot support any team managed by Mourinho. And the football his teams play reflect his outward personality. Luckily, I don't really support anyone, and as I'm technically a Grimsby fan, I doubt Mourinho will ever be appointed!

But it's good to see United playing properly, and just for the manager to be saying positive things. I still think the players should have tried harder when Mourinho was in charge, but he sure as hell didn't make it easy for them to be motivated.
Give it about 3 years...

MacabbiUnited

Supports
Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
This! And...remember LVG's "philosophy" that never took hold?! The difference is a manager who can communicate with, and has mutual respect with, his players.
Im not sure even LVG knew what the philosophy was, other than not playing football.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Are people starting to believe yet..? ;)
Believing is irrelevant. Stranger things have happened in football. Ole should have in my opinion always had a shot at the permanent role if he did well, but he is apparently a stop gap and never had the chance to become permanent manager.

Devil81

I'm 100% behind giving him the position. We haven't got a guy more deserving of this position than Ole, he loves the club and the history of the football played by the club, I also believe he's got the respect of everyone from players to staff at the club.

If he fails, he fails, he's never going to lose his legend status. I believe he will work hard and make a success of his position and he won't ever want to move on and leave us. Ole could be our manager for the next 20 years if all goes well.

Ole gets my vote!!!!

Give him the job!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Think I'd like to see more than 3 games before we give him the job.
I'm 100% behind giving him the position. We haven't got a guy more deserving of this position than Ole, he loves the club and the history of the football played by the club, I also believe he's got the respect of everyone from players to staff at the club.

If he fails, he fails, he's never going to lose his legend status. I believe he will work hard and make a success of his position and he won't ever want to move on and leave us. Ole could be our manager for the next 20 years if all goes well.

Ole gets my vote!!!!

Give him the job!

Tiber

Just watched his interviews and presser...

Forget the football and results, my stance on 'Poch is the only man that is up to the job' is starting to soften purely based on how much joy I receive from watching Ole talk about Manchester United. I think id rather watch Ole discuss an upcoming fixture than watch a game under Jose.

Devil81

Think I'd like to see more than 3 games before we give him the job.
Fair play to you but are you in the camp of giving the job to a manager who's inherited a very good squad at Spurs and won absolutely nothing?

I think Poch is a great manager but he doesn't know Manchester United, Ole does, if he fails, he fails, we've given one of the heartbeats of our club a chance to make a name for himself.

crossy1686

career ending
Believing is irrelevant. Stranger things have happened in football. Ole should have in my opinion always had a shot at the permanent role if he did well, but he is apparently a stop gap and never had the chance to become permanent manager.
Bollocks, if he wins a trophy or god forbid the CL there's not a chance he'll be allowed to walk away. They'll be mass uproar from all angles.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Just watched his interviews and presser...

Forget the football and results, my stance on 'Poch is the only man that is up to the job' is starting to soften purely based on how much joy I receive from watching Ole talk about Manchester United. I think id rather watch Ole discuss an upcoming fixture than watch a game under Jose.
You would think you would have learnt by now that there is no holy grail of manager, SAF was one of a kind.

Poch being the only option is incredibly naive, and if the board think that way then we are fecked. Not only because Poch preferes to work without a DoF but also because getting him will be a pain.

Bollocks, if he wins a trophy or god forbid the CL there's not a chance he'll be allowed to walk away. They'll be mass uproar from all angles.
:lol::lol::lol:

First of all winning only the FA cup is not gonna make a difference. Second of all, if Ole has to win the CL to get the job permanently then no he hasn't been given a chance to be permanent manager. Winning the CL is a ludicrous criteria for being given the job, especially since we are probably not even in the top 10 of teams in europe.

crossy1686

career ending

Ole gets my vote!!!!

Give him the job!
This, coupled with his motives and agenda will never be questioned, something most managers never get the luxury of. Whatever Ole say's, goes. If a player doesn't like it, they go. It would be like SAF 2.0.

The United

At that time, we were so excited and convinced about Mourinho, we ignored the warning signs in those wins. The Bournemouth goals were a deflection, a penalty and an Ibra wonder goal created out of nowhere; our forwards did not look like they linked well together to score from open play. In the Southampton game, we averaged something like 40% possession with Fellaini holding and got carved apart several times; but Southampton were amazingly wasteful in their finishing when they could have scored 3 or 4. The Hull game was a tiring, boring endeavor where we had no clue how to break down that parked bus and resorted to lumping it, and finally Rashford scored by fluke.

These deficiences came to a head when City schooled us in the fourth game, and we ended the season scoring just 54 fecking goals. As for the second season goal-rush, you might remember that it was more due to the players having purple patches in terms of being clinical where we would be tumescent for 80 minutes and then score 4.

Ole's time in contrast has seen positive football with energy, purpose and goals. While the teams are not big ones, his appointment reminds me of Klopp's first half season with Liverpool where some encouraging signs were there. Comparing his start to Mourinho's football is like chalk and cheese.
Exactly how I remember those games.

Nothing like the 3 games we just had. Of course it does not mean Ole is leading us to glory. I am just pointing out that Jose's first 3 games were not as good. At All.

DSG

I believe this has been played perfectly by the board. They are in a no lose position. If Ole brings us into the top 4 he should be considered for the permanent job. If he does well and just misses the top 4, the threat of him staying on permanently helps us in negotiations with another candidate.

If we continue to play attractive, attacking football, it helps us recruit top players. We most likely keep our best players.

He brings The United Way back to the club.

Because he is a manager who is still building his reputation in a lower league, he’ll be willing to work with a DoF. He will cede off pitch issues to others and concentrate on on-pitch performances.

It’s three wins that make me very happy. The best thing to do is just wait for the results against the big clubs and CL. Our performances against PSG are going to be fascinating.

It feels great to love football again.

L1nk

My big worry about all this is that everyone is getting blindsided , we've played some nice football and won some good matches yes, and i love Ole as much as the next person but this is an absolutely critical time for the club, this could arguably be more critical than the first appointment since SAF left, this is the opportunity we have to really shake the club up and put all the wrongs of the last few years, right, this does not necesarilly mean hiring Ole just because he used to play for the club, and that's the thing, everyone is getting swept up in the feeling of how romantic this all is but this needs to be critically thought out now and no rash decisions made just because Ole "gets it", if he does well between now and the end of the season of course he should be considered, but he should be on the list of many other managers and not automatically be given it. I'm thoroughly enjoying this right now, but I hope people don't lose sight of just how important this coming summer is, I feel like it's completely make or break at this point, we need to get it all right.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

100%. Mourinhos team always seemed to be hanging on or scoring out of the blue. We never dominated teams and rarely seemed in control in any matches. I rarely felt like winning was certain.

Under ole it just feels different currently. I do expect this honeymoon period to end though, but with the basics he’s reinstalled we will still be scoring more goals, which is what we sorely lack.

deafepl

If we bring in top-class defenders and RW before the start season with Ole as coaches, we'd be challenging for the league, sadly. We can see progress and Ole give us hope even though I am very excited for next season and looking forward to seeing how Ole can take us so far this season, Jose hasn't given us hope despite Jose convincing us that we're so far light behind in City and Liverpool, need billions investment to invest in top strikers, top midfielders, top defenders, top fullbacks.

Alabaster Codify7

Lads making us so proud,again.
it will see bad times. of course it will
But man. For the first time in 5yrs im genuinely excited to watch the boys. Its what we should feel.

Ole is one of.us.

DBT85

1/3 of our goal scored under Ole, just 3 games? Madass.
Weird isn't it. And last season started so well too.

As I;ve said before, I'm not worried about these games. How we are doing in 10 games time is what is of real interest to me.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

This. I remember that Southampton game alright. We were not great. Not near as good as we have been under Ole. The writing was on the wall even at that early stage.

I remember when we played Southampton at Southampton the following season and Lukaku got the one goal. basically we were defending for our lives. Horrible stuff really. Every away game under Mourinho was a tough slog. Win 1-0 kind of stuff.

Granted it will be interesting to see how we perform against Newcastle.

AltiUn

Fair play to you but are you in the camp of giving the job to a manager who's inherited a very good squad at Spurs and won absolutely nothing?

I think Poch is a great manager but he doesn't know Manchester United, Ole does, if he fails, he fails, we've given one of the heartbeats of our club a chance to make a name for himself.
Right now, sure, I absolutely want Pochettino. To me it doesn't make an ounce of difference that he hasn't won anything yet, he embodies everything I value in a United manager. If Solskjaer continues to show what he is doing until the end of the season then I'd be equally happy for him to get the job, right now he's very much an unknown quantity as I've only seen 3 of his games as a manager so I'd like to see more before I say I want him as a full time appointment.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Why? Was there a better candidate for Barcelona than a Frank Rijkaard that had just got Sparta Rotterdam relegated? Didn't turn out so badly for Barca giving him the job, eh?

Ole has plenty of experience making Molde competitive in Europe against richer, stronger sides. With Molde's football heritage he managed to win against Sevilla in Europe, unlike the previous manager.

The guy has managed like 400 first team games. He's not some idiot off the street you know?

I think this is a bit different...
Wait until Rangers are going to win the league under Gerrard and then start seeing the same people dismissing Solskjaer then championing Gerrard for big jobs. A lot of stupid people out there who seem to think Ole has only managed Cardiff in a hospital pass of a job and then put his feet up for the rest of the time after playing.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Right now, sure, I absolutely want Pochettino. To me it doesn't make an ounce of difference that he hasn't won anything yet, he embodies everything I value in a United manager.
What, being allergic to silverware and being proud of qualifying for the Champions League? Fire up the DVD burners and close the streets for the bus tour!

crossy1686

career ending
Keown speaking a lot of sense on Solskjaer today on MOTD.

Said the talk surrounding Solskjaer at the moment is patronising as he's more than just an interim manager who's here to put smiles on faces, he's a football specialist.

Said it was a great opportunity for him to go ahead and get the job if he continues in this way because the work he's done in practically 11 days and 3 games is amazing.

Last edited:

AltiUn

What, being allergic to silverware and being proud of qualifying for the Champions League? Fire up the DVD burners and close the streets for the bus tour!
If that's all you think he is, fair enough.

wormdoktor

Weird isn't it. And last season started so well too.

As I;ve said before, I'm not worried about these games. How we are doing in 10 games time is what is of real interest to me.
Agreed. And to a lesser extent, how we do vs Spurs will be telling. Although a defeat in that match won't be the end of the world, a solid performance in which we see tactics aimed at winning the match against a top 6 team (imagine that!!) will be very encouraging for me. That match could also be OGS's chance to stake his claim for the permanent job against the favourite.

PeteManic

What is different in this situation compared to Guardiola at Barca or Zidane at Madrid?

Absolutely nothing.

He is 100% the right man for the job (with proper recruitment infrastructure in place).

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
To those who are saying that we'd probably beat these 3 teams even with Mourinho as manager, are you sure?
Do you remember our matches vs bottom half/much weaker teams? Not only did we lose or draw many of them, we played shit too.

Brighton - United 3-2
United - Wolves 1-1
United - Derby 2-2 lost on penalties
West Ham - United 3-1
United - Valencia 0-0
United - Newcastle 3-2
Bournemouth - United 1-2
United - Palace 0-0
United - Young Boys 1-0
Southampton - United 2-2
Valencia - United 2-1

I am 100% sure that we would have better results in all these matches under Solskjær, with happier, more positive players, and even if the results against the best teams were the same, we'd be firmly placed in top 4.

All that said, i am not 100% sold on him getting the job full time yet, want to see how he does against better opposition first, but for now, i'm very excited, and enjoy watching the team for the first time in years.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Ole is a breath of fresh air,love watching us play again and we are playing as a team.
Will be interesting to see what type of football we will be playing after he has had us for 6 months to implement his ideas and coaching.The signs look good so far,just need to sort out the defense.

Kind of reminds me a bit of Rodgers liverpool nice attacking football,scoring plenty of goals but dodgy at the back.

Last edited:

shaky

How badly would Ole have to actually do before we didn't give him the job full time?

I don't see anyone wanting him to go if we manage top 4. Even if we don't, but keep playing the more enjoyable football, would anybody seriously want to go for Poch? We've just spent 5 fairly rubbish seasons experimenting with different managers. If Ole's got everyone enjoying themselves, and the old Utd culture feels back, quickly ditching all that for yet another managerial throw of the dice would be madness.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
To those who are saying that we'd probably beat these 3 teams even with Mourinho as manager, are you sure?
Do you remember our matches vs bottom half/much weaker teams? Not only did we lose or draw many of them, we played shit too.

Brighton - United 3-2
United - Wolves 1-1
West Ham - United 3-1
United - Valencia 0-0
United - Newcastle 3-2
Bournemouth - United 1-2
United - Palace 0-0
United - Young Boys 1-0
Southampton - United 2-2
Valencia - United 2-1

I am 100% sure that we would have better results in all these matches under Solskjær, with happier, more positive players, and even if the results against the best teams were the same, we'd be firmly placed in top 4.

All that said, i am not 100% sold on him getting the job full time yet, want to see how he does against better opposition first, but for now, i'm very excited, and enjoy watching the team for the first time in years.
Remember Fellaini in the ten against Young boys. We would have hammered Young Boys at home with Ole.

DBT85

Brighton - United 3-2
United - Wolves 1-1
West Ham - United 3-1
United - Valencia 0-0
United - Newcastle 3-2
Bournemouth - United 1-2
United - Palace 0-0
United - Young Boys 1-0
Southampton - United 2-2
Valencia - United 2-1

Couldn't agree more. Anyone who says "it's only" clearly hasn't been paying attention for the last 18 months. "It's only" has been a huge problem for us.