Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Keep Ole as the coach for the good feel factor and positivity. Give him the best brains in football to work alongside as coaches and reboot the scouting team. See how this goes before embarking on a complete change and new beginnings again.
I'm already thinking along these lines. I wonder if the club are.
They were considering Giggs at one point after all, and he didn't have the luxury of a 6 month test phase.

If we continue like this to the end of the season, it'd be quite a brave call to then go for Poch, if we could even get him.

crossy1686

career ending
I know many of us want to get Poch but I can't see the difference if Ole can get us playing nice football, winning a lot of games playing with winning form and finish the season with 75-80+ points. Only advantage Poch has is experience and on other hands, Ole may be considered for long-term as long as we keep progressing every season in the future and give top team tough games. Ole love the club and want us to do well.
There's no point in going to for Poch if we have a manager that is doing everything we want him to do. Even if Solskjaer has a blip, I'd rather we supported him and threw money at the problem instead of asking the question "Does this manager really understand what we're about? Can we trust his judgement?". With Ole we remove that doubt completely. With Poch we'd be asking ourselves if he's a bottler and why hasn't he won anything. It's a no brainer for me.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Exactly. Mourinho started like this too. Even Moyes won his first game 4-1.

The start we've made under OGS has been brilliant but I'd still be against giving him the job permanently. We need a proper reboot in the summer and as Neville said, the new manager and DoF need to be the best available.
Neither played with the same attacking verve though. Jose got a few 4-0s and 4-1s but it didn't feel the same. And Moyes started with the champions, so shouldn't be part of any conversation about this!

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Hate to bring this up because I want Ole to succeed more than I could possibly express in words, but how much of the recent upsurge in performance squad-wide can we attribute to the new manager bounce, if at all?

Thepinhead

Poch isn't going to do anything different to warrant throwing 40m at him. Allegri and Conte will be too defensive for our fans.

Keeping Ole looks like our best option. I'm so optimistic about him.
Ye, I like poch and even though he is praised for being a gentleman and loyal to a degree I just have this feeling that he will want the Real Madrid job one day. I can't see why Ole can't be our poch. With help from phelan, SAF, and many other experienced people the first couple of years, I think he will do well. He loves the club and it seems that for him it is the biggest job.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

3 points and 3 goals to overtake Arsenal now.
This graph says it all!
People might say it was 3 easy games, but we could barely keep in even positive goal difference when we've had 3 winnable games on the bounce earlier.
There's no way Jose would have had us winning these three games with a +9 GD!

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Apart from the results themselves:

- De Gea playing it short and not hoofing
- Center backs playing from the back
- Full backs playing high
- Matic can play football
- Two midfielders attacking the box and not two defending it
- Chase goals and not protecting leads
- The best central mid in the world enjoys playing football
- Actually playing to the strengths of our attacking talent
- Etc.

Just a world of difference.
Hey buddy!

What a wind of change!

Hope all is well. Happy Ole new year.

Cloud7

It’s been discussed a million times already, but when I was watching the pre game interview Ole said “we have a bigger and better squad than most teams in the league”

It was such a simple comment that he probably didn’t even think about it, yet it was such a stark contrast from “Everton have very ambitious owners who have spent a lot of money”

You probably need to put more effort in to constantly denigrate your team than to just be positive about them. I’m so happy to see Ole and not have to look at Mourinho’s smug, stupid face anymore. His face makes me imagine a skin infection.

Sultan

Poch isn't going to do anything different to warrant throwing 40m at him. Allegri and Conte will be too defensive for our fans.

Keeping Ole looks like our best option. I'm so optimistic about him.
I'd cry to sleep if United brought Conte anywhere near United.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Hearing “Ole Ole” ring around OT after a goal is honestly unbelievable. Be interesting to see how we get on against Spurs but so far so good for Solskjaer, football on show has been a delight to behold.

Castia

:drool:

Loving it. I know there’s harder test to come but to finally see attacking football again is incredible. He’s a club legend who loves the place and knows the ‘United Way’ I hope it goes well for Ole and he gets the job full time.

Under Jose it felt like we never had a chance no matter who we signed but suddenly I’m starting to drool at the thought of a couple more technical players in this side along with a world class CB.....I’m starting to enjoy football again!

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Hate to bring this up because I want Ole to succeed more than I could possibly express in words, but how much of the recent upsurge in performance squad-wide can we attribute to the new manager bounce, if at all?
May not even be a bounce as much as we’d think. Carrick and McKenna have been there a while already. Add in Phelan and we’ve got a fantastic staff that has both ethos and experience. Ole will only get better too I believe.

Broad Street Bullies

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
A lot of credit has to go to Mike Phelan too. I don't think anyone should underestimate what he brings as an assistant. We seem to do pretty well whenever he's around.

Reactions: Sultan

Sultan

It’s been discussed a million times already, but when I was watching the pre game interview Ole said “we have a bigger and better squad than most teams in the league”

It was such a simple comment that he probably didn’t even think about it, yet it was such a stark contrast from “Everton have very ambitious owners who have spent a lot of money”.
That was exactly my line of thought when I heard that interview. Losing or getting bored doesn't even enter my mind now Ole is managing. I look forward to watching United again.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I know many of us want to get Poch but I can't see the difference if Ole can get us playing nice football, winning a lot of games playing with winning form and finish the season with 75-80+ points. Only advantage Poch has is experience and on other hands, Ole may be considered for long-term as long as we keep progressing every season in the future and give top team tough games. Ole love the club and want us to do well.
I also like Solskjaer for you.
Seeing that the rest of the top Premier teams are so "Europeanized", it is refreshing that you bet on him. Although on the other hand, I think that any coach with a positive attitude could get good results, mainly because of the desire of the players to prove their worth after Mourinho, and because you had already hit rock bottom.

I am a neutral and should not affect me, but just thinking about the umpteenth reconstruction, reading three years of justifications, scares me. As Sultan has just said, I would opt for a more relaxed model, without embarking again on a project with a super coach and his thousand demands.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Same age as fergie when he took over. Would be nice to get some more longevity and long term planning again

Let’s hope for 4/4 against Newcastle. I’m loving it!

Djemba-Djemba

His press conferences are an absolute joy.

It's like he's studied everything Mourinho used to say and is now saying the exact opposite.

Humble and positive.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
May not even be a bounce as much as we’d think. Carrick and McKenna have been there a while already. Add in Phelan and we’ve got a fantastic staff that has both ethos and experience. Ole will only get better too I believe.
New manager bounce or otherwise, the players clearly have the ability to perform as a top outfit based on the evidence provided over the last couple of weeks.

I was more than prepared for a relegation battle when Ole took charge, but he has taken to the role like a duck to water. It's hard to believe how well he has done.

ZeMario

One point I never see mentioned is that Poch is a very “strict” manager with a lot of rules and what not.. I thought this was the reason Real Madrid stayed away and the same reason we should. Big clubs needs managers that can handle big ego’s. Last thing we need now is a authoritarian manager who have never won anything coming in. We have all ready found our manager imho.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Doing a wonderful job.

But don't think we should discount the 'new manager bounce'...

I'd still like to see Pochettino / Zidane brought in in Summer with Ole leaving on a high and returning at some point in the future.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Doing a good job so far. He had a chance to leave as a player but didn't so he can talk about loyalty and he can empathize with players fighting for places and he has the perfect example of someone coming off the bench and making a difference. He watched the game when he used to be on the bench rather then listen to music or sulk. He's managed our youth in the past. He's been a forward coach. He ticks a lot of boxes. Don't underestimate the feel good factor. These players are not magically better. We're just more positive and even if you question our opponents, we've struggled against these types of teams for a very long time. There are bigger challenges but half the games in the head and we're in a far better place. In addition to that, if Ole gets the best out of the forwards...then I think that's something we need to protect from too much change. Finally we are enjoying it. We will lose games in all probability but you have to know who you are better then and with that why should you fear them? It's as much attitude as anything. How we bounce back from a loss or criticism is still to come but our response to the sending off suggests the players are on board mentality with what's expected. As a supporter, we can dream about this or that player but what we see now has made a lot of supporters happy! And now we are all wondering, can Sanchez finally deliver? And if he does, how much better does that make us?...

One game at a time though :) However, if you have a happy camp at the end of the season - do you really unsettle it again?? We got a big decision to make (with all due respect to Molde).

Barthez

Regardless of whether he gets the Utd job full time, you know have to start wondering whether he will ever return to Molde given how he is well and truly back in the shop window again...

wolvored

thIt is early days and he can only beat whats in front of him. The games are also ideal in the way they have dropped. We played the worst, then the next worst, then a bit trickier, next a low mid table team im a toxic environment, then a top 3 team away. Even if we lose to Spurs but go out fighting and at least scoring, he is still on the right path. If Ole could win the FA cup finish at least 5th, hopefully 4th, then surely the club should give him a chance. even if its a 2 year contract. Same to Phelan as well.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Reckon Phelan has also made a big difference too. He knows how to work with players at this club and he strikes me as very level headed.

AaronRedDevil

If ole beats 3 of the 5 big teams in the second half of the season, I'll definitely want him to be our manager for the years ahead.

AJ10

New manager bounce or otherwise, the players clearly have the ability to perform as a top outfit based on the evidence provided over the last couple of weeks.

I was more than prepared for a relegation battle when Ole took charge, but he has taken to the role like a duck to water. It's hard to believe how well he has done.
I think most people forget ole has had something like 400 games as a manager. who knows how this will end in 6 months but there are lots of similarities between the way ole's Molde fk play and now United, of course at a higher level. Not really a surprise these players (defence not good enough for attacking or defensive football) are looking better under a manager who wants to play attacking football, they might not be world beaters but they're certainly not as bad as jose's tactics made them out to be. IMO jose would have done brilliant here if he actually knew how to coach attacking players but he didn't have a clue.

Reactions: Sultan

Tiber

I do understand this concern, but Jesus - it's a hell of a bounce.

It's not just the winning or even the amount of goals we score, its the Fergie-era style of play that is knocking my socks off

el3mel

If ole beats 3 of the 5 big teams in the second half of the season, I'll definitely want him to be our manager for the years ahead.
I'll be fine if we're just very competitive in big games and didn't look like we're getting destroyed. Anything can happen in big games, just be competitive and do your best.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
I love Ole.

Even if our season goes to shit, nothing will change my love and respect for that glorious man.

C'est Moi Cantona

We just need to keep all options open for the summer, and maybe Ole doesn't even want it long term, but for now I'm just grateful to be watching football I can relate Untied to once again.