Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Really poor subs. Not bringing on Lukaku has come to bite him in my eyes. Rashford vs Bernat was calling out for it, and Lukaku could be more physical against their three center backs.

It’s a shame with the injuries
Lukaku wouldn't win single ball against Silva and Kimpembe considering both of them are far quicker and equally strong. He has problem with quick players and we would struggle to even bring the ball, let alone score.

AndyJ1985

He can bring on Fred and push Pog even further up. Bring on Rom and ask Rash to do us a favor out wide. Mata offers zero out wide attacking or defending - pointless against the pace of PSG
Fred has barely kicked a ball for us so I can't see that going well. Lukaku is in terrible form. It all comes down to the same problem, an alarming lack of quality in our squad. That's why I don't blame Ole for tonight; we had a go in the first half, then injuries ruined us. We never stood a chance no mater came off the bench, because our bench is made up of dross.

AaronRedDevil

A lost was coming eventually. It had to be freaking psg to end it. Let's be honest, united were never going to win it. PSG are completely stacked with quality players. Yeah you could say Martial and lingard leaving was a gut punch. But look how easy they made it look passing it around. United are a whole of that quality. A lost was coming. The next match will be very important to see how they respond.

hobbers

Serious question would you guys really want Ole now? not even just on this loss but in general. United next appointment is so and I cant emphasize this enough SO important or United risk falling into Liverpool levels of shet and really falling behind the other teams in the League. Ole is a great guy and everyone loves him but is he the right choice ?
Deciding now is stupid.

We were never winning the CL this season with this squad. Our first eleven is still significantly weaker than PSG's on paper even without Neymar and Cavani.

What matters is how we play against Chelsea, Liverpool and City. Those three games define Ole's chances of getting the job in the summer.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
But what else can he do? Our strength in depth is piss poor. Our options are Sanchez, Lukaku, and Mata. Whoever he brings on is going to be next to useless against PSG
Yep. It's not like a decision to bring on Lukaku wouldn't have been criticised as soon as we went behind. Hell, given the criticism Lukaku gets generaly it probably wouldn't have taken that long even.

Greck

The quality of our possession play really dropped off after the first few games. Every team in Europe is well drilled in possession and we need to catch up

Skills

Snitch
This cant be right, according to this we average more shots on goal pr game
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/8400387/man-utd-solskjaer-stats-boring-mourinho/

And a lot more fast breaks, and counter attacks are usually good chances
https://www.caughtoffside.com/2019/02/05/man-united-fast-breaks-solskjaer-vs-mourinho-stats/

I have no idea how xG is calculated, but even a blind person could see we are looking more dangerous now than before. Games like Tottenham and Leichester you could argue we were fortunate to get all three points, but considering how utterly toothless and impotent we looked under Mouhrino this season it seems absurd our "expected goals" are the same
It's worth remembering we were often 1-0 behind after 10 minutes under Mourinho. We usually had to throw the kitchen sink at it just to get a result, and that probably gets his xG quite high.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The statistics were showing we were 'getting away with it' defensively rather than being solid, unfortunately the luck ran out tonight.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Deciding now is stupid.

We were never winning the CL this season with this squad. Our first eleven is still significantly weaker than PSG's on paper even without Neymar and Cavani.

What matters is how we play against Chelsea, Liverpool and City. Those three games define Ole's chances of getting the job in the summer.
I did not mean now I meant in the summer. Was just a general question on if you had to pick now.

AndyJ1985

Essentially this.

Not good enough for the top levels - yet.

The united board should be ALL IN for Pochettino, who with these resources would excel I think.
What would Poch have done tonight? Pulled a magic wand out of his arse hole and turned Mata Sanchez and Luakaku in to good footballers?

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Fred has barely kicked a ball for us so I can't see that going well. Lukaku is in terrible form. It all comes down to the same problem, an alarming lack of quality in our squad. That's why I don't blame Ole for tonight; we had a go in the first half, then injuries ruined us. We never stood a chance no mater came off the bench, because our bench is made up of dross.
Alexis or Mata havent really kicked on either. I’m not blaming Ole, it’s just an obvious mistake. We were poor first half anyway. But you’d still prefer an out of form Rom out there than a past it Mata in a key part of the game. Yes we have a lack of depth, but you need to make a better call in these situations.

Skills

Snitch
Serious question would you guys really want Ole now? not even just on this loss but in general. United next appointment is so and I cant emphasize this enough SO important or United risk falling into Liverpool levels of shet and really falling behind the other teams in the League. Ole is a great guy and everyone loves him but is he the right choice ?
I've never really wanted him for the permanent job because I don't think we're the right club to make this work.

The fans and board are just too sentimental and would get too attached. It would be the cults of Mourinho, Van Gaal and Moyes combined multiplied by 10 for the club legend factor. I love Ole, but there's a chance of it not working out and there is the certainty of us just persisting with it and sinking ourselves in the process are even higher.

Alex1982

Well I have to say I’m shocked.

I’d never have guessed that after (during?!) our first loss a bunch of people would turn on him and suddenly he’s not good enough etc etc.

So predictable

AXVnee7

This match doesn't say much about Ole, it says more about the squad. Mourinho did and said much wrong, but one thing he was absolutely spot on about is that the squad isn't good enough to challenge for top honours. What can you do with Ashley Young for example...

Ole has done brilliantly well so far, but he can only make the squad so much better than it actually is. We are a top 4 team, but not a title winning and certainly not a CL winning team. Whilst obviously I'd have loved for the Ole train to keep rolling like everyone else, this loss helps stop a potentially dangerous mindset of thinking Mourinho was a bigger problem than he actually was. We have already messed up somewhat by giving Jones a new contract.

The overall run of games coming will be a bigger indicator of where Ole is at. We need one of, if not the biggest transfer windows in our history, regardless of who is our manager come July. We also need time for coaching because we still crack under pressure when we have possession.

thesheriffjw

Made a big big error tonight when bringing on mata. It should have been lukaku with rash going on the right.

Players looked off it, which seems strange.

As kipbembe? He should have seen red in first hslf

Chairman Steve

OGS has to rely on that XI he’s been using most of the time. We can’t spend money because we don’t have an actual permanent man in place and we are supposedly looking into DoF figures at the club. Serious investment needs to be made regardless of who the new manager will be.

Unfortunately for OGS, his backup options are Mata and Lukaku, who suck at the lightning fast counter attack game and Sanchez who has been very much our Chelsea F.Torres white elephant.

Ban

Should have brought Lukaku sooner, that's about it. But I see some already gave up on him based on this game.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Now the members of Redcafe are understanding my assessment of Ole. I saw this coming and if some of our fans actually watch games rather than score line, they would have notice this as well when we played Pochettino Spurs.

Ole has now been tactical outsmarted by Tuchel and Pochettino. Tuchel were playing without two of their best attacker and we barely troubled Buffon.

Many fans jumped the bandwagon, but I stated that it is good to wait and see. Ole has done well to dominate the smaller team, but he has not passed Amadaeus test on showing such dominance against a top team. It will be an uphill battle next leg without Pogba, but if Ole can come through that, then he will definitely earn a lot of praise.

It is unfortunate now. I really wanted us to go through as we would not look so desparate when we try and go after Pochettino. Regardless, if Ole doesn’t go through, the season is still long and he still has a chance to be my number 1 choice.

hobbers

I did not mean now I meant in the summer. Was just a general question on if you had to pick now.
I really wouldn't ever consider making the choice until after the Liverpool game at least.

But I hope the board don't make a final decision until after the final ball has been kicked tbh. No need to rush into making it permanent now, it won't motivate Ole or the players any more.

NinjaFletch

The Caf always manages to convince itself of some odd things, but the idea that bringing on a baby elephant to bounce the ball at random angles off of his shin was the key to victory tonight is laughable.

PoTMS

Not good enough today, much like our players. We should forfeit the second leg and concentrate on top four.

Rish Sawhney

Perhaps set up in a manner more befitting to the game.

Pochettino is a better manager than OGS, there's nothing controversial about stating that.
What does being the better manager imply though? Will he win the CL this season then I'm assuming? Or at least comfortably get past Dortmund yeah?

Kapardin

What's happened, has happened. Now we need to see how Ole reacts. Reel off wins in the league with atleast 4 points against Liverpool and City and the feel-good factor will be back despite the second leg being dead rubber.

Judas

Open to offers
Reality is we could go on a bit of a losing streak now, Chelsea away then Liverpool at home. Think this really is when we see what him and this team is capable of.

hobbers

The Caf always manages to convince itself of some odd things, but the idea that bringing on a baby elephant to bounce the ball at random angles off of his shin was the key to victory tonight is laughable.
Lukaku would have made exactly no difference to this outcome whether he came on at 45' or 85'. Mata isn't a better option but neither is he a worse option.

The reality is that we have no quality in depth behind the first choice front three. Mata is probably on his way out in the summer, Sanchez is a busted flush, Lukaku is not United quality.

Romez

Tactically outclassed today.

(Though to be fair PSG have a better squad)

He had no answer to their back 3 and their wingbacks taking our wingers out of the game.

It’ll be more important to see how he/the team react to this.

Acquire Me

PSG is ahead of us. Its sad, but true. This is not on Solskjær imo. Unlucky with Martial and Lingard out as well.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
They were just better. At least we didn't just sit back in our own 18 yard box and let them slap us around, which would have happened if we still had Jose.

Still believe in Ole. Team needs investment, especially at full back and right wing. The injuries hit us hard, we have no depth beyond our front 3. Mata and Sanchez always make us look disjointed.

FujiVice

I think today just simply showed that we need better quality in certain areas. Solksjaer has worked a miracle with what he's got.

Ash_G

This match doesn't say much about Ole, it says more about the squad. Mourinho did and said much wrong, but one thing he was absolutely spot on about is that the squad isn't good enough to challenge for top honours. What can you do with Ashley Young for example...

Ole has done brilliantly well so far, but he can only make the squad so much better than it actually is. We are a top 4 team, but not a title winning and certainly not a CL winning team. Whilst obviously I'd have loved for the Ole train to keep rolling like everyone else, this loss helps stop a potentially dangerous mindset of thinking Mourinho was a bigger problem than he actually was. We have already messed up somewhat by giving Jones a new contract.

The overall run of games coming will be a bigger indicator of where Ole is at. We need one of, if not the biggest transfer windows in our history, regardless of who is our manager come July. We also need time for coaching because we still crack under pressure when we have possession.
Agree with this. There's an argument that Mata and Sanchez together might not have been best option given they both come to the ball but it's not like Lukaku has been great either. Personally for me this was a mixture of players not performing and some of them not being used to big nights like this. We had some dangerous moments in first half that we didn't capitalise on but 2nd half PSG turned it up a notch and we just couldn't match it. I don't think there was too much OGS could have done, think this was more the players than him.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Still behind Ole. Forget this result, the test for him will be how he reacts to this setback.

I'd rather lose this game than the one against Liverpool to be perfectly honest.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Now the members of Redcafe are understanding my assessment of Ole. I saw this coming and if some of our fans actually watch games rather than score line, they would have notice this as well when we played Pochettino Spurs.

Ole has now been tactical outsmarted by Tuchel and Pochettino. Tuchel were playing without two of their best attacker and we barely troubled Buffon.

Many fans jumped the bandwagon, but I stated that it is good to wait and see. Ole has done well to dominate the smaller team, but he has not passed Amadaeus test on showing such dominance against a top team. It will be an uphill battle next leg without Pogba, but if Ole can come through that, then he will definitely earn a lot of praise.

It is unfortunate now. I really wanted us to go through as we would not look so desparate when we try and go after Pochettino. Regardless, if Ole doesn’t go through, the season is still long and he still has a chance to be my number 1 choice.
I agree. When you look past our results and look at the actual footy, I don't think we've played that well.

Still, love Ole and the job he's doing. I'm just not sure he should be appointed full time. Especially if there's a chance of getting Pochettino

spiriticon

Whoever wins the league and CL double out of Solksjaer and Pochettino gets to be our full time manager.

If neither can do it, I say we go for a guaranteed winner like Jose Mourinho who never loses any matches.

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect
SAF and Matt Busby combined would have been fecked when Lingard and Martial went off.

If Ole made a mistake tonight it was not bringing on 2 lads from the crowd who'd at least press the c*nts.