Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Raw

Also thought that he'd have a really good chance of winning manager of the month again, but then I saw City's results in February and yeah Pep's definitely winning it :lol:

Bobski

Back to the future under Ole. Embracing the qualities that made the Utd he knew great.

Ban

8 away victories, 12 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat?

Pih, I could do that with my left leg.

deafepl

Also thought that he'd have a really good chance of winning manager of the month again, but then I saw City's results in February and yeah Pep's definitely winning it :lol:
The media is in love with Ole, they are going to give him a manager of the month, it's not always about winning every game.

Halftrack

Such a breath of fresh air. A certain someone would be full on whinge mode.
He'd probably have us 9th with a negative GD, complaining about how shit his defenders are and claiming it's impossible to do better with the players at his disposal. One of Martial and Pogba would probably have been offloaded in January as well, the other one likely to go in the summer.

cyberman

Nah, Jose always made a point of concentrating on who was fit. It's the one aspect of his management that I was impressed with. But he was always criticizing the press for always talking about who wasn't playing so maybe it was out of spite.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I'd only be convinced by him if he overturns our 0-2 deficit and beat PSG away. He is just a good interim manager and I don't think the job should be given to him permanently. Go all out for Poch.
@Ban him

Raw

The media is in love with Ole, they are going to give him a manager of the month, it's not always about winning every game.
Sure thing, but City beat Arsenal 3-1, Everton away 2-0, West Ham 1-0 and Chelsea 6-0. I just can't see him not winning it based on those fixtures and results!

Paxi

Any time anyone raises issues with a particular manager, it's negative or awful for a certain kind of fan. Of course he should be next manager. The question is can he go up to the next level tactically.
Next level tactically by doing what? Pressing high up the pitch? :houllier:

Paul InceUlt

Guys, it's only Palace. The real test is still somewhere out there. I don't know where, but it must be.
Indeed! We have yet to see how he will perform on an intergalactic level. Got a feeling we would be schooled by DeathStar Galacticos. We need a manager who is blessed with the force..someone like Master Ince maybe?

Who am I kidding!! Ole is our very own Master fecking Yoda!! Champions again we will be!

Bojan11

I'd only be convinced by him if he overturns our 0-2 deficit and beat PSG away. He is just a good interim manager and I don't think the job should be given to him permanently. Go all out for Poch.
Overturn a 2-0 against PSG with about six players injured and Pogba suspended then you’d be convinced. Erm ok.

Today was the most impressive performance with all the injuries. Then when we were under the cosh his sub of Bailly kept Zaha quiet.

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
Are people still questioning Ole's tactical acumen?

He has played different tactics against different oppositions and came out with good results(except the PSG game).

Against Palace we started with a 433 when we were two goals up, he wanted to give Chong some minutes, then Palace scored and continued to threaten for about 10 minutes.

Palace overloaded our RB giving Zaha space to run at a Young, Ole quickly sub Dalot and Sanchez for Bailly and Rashford switching the formation from 433 to 352.Bailly played as RCB thereby plugging the hole and matching Zaha's pace and pushing Young up.

It is not surprising that our third goal came from a right wing back.A negative manager would have made a defensive substitution thereby inviting more pressure and maybe draw the game.

Reactions: Theonas

Canagel

only SAF could win such games with injury crisis at total ease. its all in the mentality. give him the job already .

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
8 away victories, 12 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat?

Pih, I could do that with my left leg.

As silly as that remark was, it might end up becoming legendarily foolish and Solskjaer's 'You cannot win the league with kids' moment.

Lucky Buttons

How the heck did Jose convince everyone (including the players themselves) that our defence was so crap? One of the most astounding changes caused by Ole´s appointment. We look so much better.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Next level tactically by doing what? Pressing high up the pitch? :houllier:
By doing something new. I'm all for returning to club tradition and ditching the awful post SAF football. But that on its own won't be enough to win the big prizes and we all know it. Ole will have to add something special to beat Klopp and Pep, or get to the last eight in Europe, and I look forward to seeing what it might be.

RedTiger

Half mast
Having changed my vote to Ole, it's worth considering the downside of appointing him.

For me, he's playing football the United way. My only fear is that it might be an outmoded tactic. The previous two managers failed because they tried to change tactics and couldn't make it work. Ole is largely working because he's gone back to SAF basics. But the two outstanding teams in the league play with a high press. Are we really likely to do better than them over the course of a season with a counter-attacking formation. Or is it the kind of strategy that will give us top four but not silverware?

I think we need to add another level of tactical sophistication to our play. Not sure who in the current coaching team has that kind of bandwidth.
We're currently leading the Clausura...dont see why we can't do it for a full season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Just occurred to me that the silliness of that comment from Ince also reflects the silliness of the previous "give Giggs the job because he learned from SAF" arguments people put forward on here. No, just having been around SAF (as countless failed managers were as players) doesn't mean you're a good choice to be manager and yes, learning your trade at a lower level (as Solskjaer has over several years) can help even at a club like Manchester United.

Charlie Foley

To be fair his first couple games a high press is exactly what he implemented in the team. I think he just recognized that not all our players can play that system, and they definitely aren’t conditioned to it after 2.5 years of Mourinho’s tactics, which are the polar opposite of a high pressing team. I’m pretty sure if he gets the job, we will emerge next season as a very aggressive, high pressing team.
I think we could be in a really good position with that in mind with no major tournament this summer-chance for a fall pre-season with the squad, recharge the batteries and then really work on conditioning.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
By doing something new. I'm all for returning to club tradition and ditching the awful post SAF football. But that on its own won't be enough to win the big prizes and we all know it. Ole will have to add something special to beat Klopp and Pep, or get to the last eight in Europe, and I look forward to seeing what it might be.
Sure he'll come up with something. But lets get him the best possible players first, you know just in case.

sveisa

Actually, he has been beating them since he took over. Whatever he is doing is working.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I think we can announce Ole for the job. If the season has started when he took over, we will probably be top of the table and there about. This man deserve to get the job so he can plan for next season. Probably, 1 CB, 1 CM, RW/RM and we will be ready for next year.

Lucky Buttons

Why would he do something new when we´re winning and playing well?

Moriarty

Just occurred to me that the silliness of that comment from Ince also reflects the silliness of the previous "give Giggs the job because he learned from SAF" arguments people put forward on here. No, just having been around SAF (as countless failed managers were as players) doesn't mean you're a good choice to be manager and yes, learning your trade at a lower level (as Solskjaer has over several years) can help even at a club like Manchester United.
Ole has that "something" about him though and I don't think it's just him having been around Fergie. The players clearly love him, as do the coaching staff. When Garner was about to come on, Carrick had a grin like a Cheshire cat on his mush. Haven't seen him like that for quite a while. Phelan bounces around while Ole sits there watching things unfold.

Paxi

By doing something new. I'm all for returning to club tradition and ditching the awful post SAF football. But that on its own won't be enough to win the big prizes and we all know it. Ole will have to add something special to beat Klopp and Pep, or get to the let eight in Europe, and I look forward to seeing what it might be.
I'm not sure what else he can do, to be honest. We scored one less than Liverpool and conceded the least in the premier league since Ole took over. Not only that, but we've just won 8 consecutive away games, which is a club record. So wanting Ole to beat Klopp and Pep to make your mind up, whilst already achieving the results that we've seen is a bit bizarre to me. Surely what we have seen is enough, seeing as we're currently in title winning form?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Great tactical choices this game. Flawlessly good. Needed to stop Palace from counter attacking so we defended deep. They almost only score goals from counter attacks, so good move but the way he let us attack as well in periods is amazing. Doesn't strangle them but awards them. You done your job defensively? Then run forward now! Love it

ReddBalls

Great tactical choices this game. Flawlessly good. Needed to stop Palace from counter attacking so we defended deep. They almost only score goals from counter attacks, so good move but the way he let us attack as well in periods is amazing. Doesn't strangle them but awards them. You done your job defensively? Then run forward now! Love it
Don't forget subbing Bailly in and pushing Young forward, which resulted in Zaha taken out of the game and Young getting a goal.

Trizy

Wonder how the poor Molde fans are feeling now? They know he's not coming back :lol:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Having coming into such a mess, then having so many hurdles, including a tough loss against PSG and now these injuries, plus a difficult run, and on top of that seeing the synergy on the bench, and the positivity in the press conferences, and from the players, I just can't see how we don't give it him. He's had every test. Still obviously a wonder whether he can keep it going long term, but we have to see don't we?

podurban2

Wonder how the poor Molde fans are feeling now? They know he's not coming back :lol:
Probably very proud and happy to receive the 8m EUR for him. Here in the Nordics, we are used to have players/managers move onto greater things, and this is Manchester United. He will be an even bigger legend back home now!

Canagel

mate we are ahead of Klopp and Pep since Ole arrive. same goals and less conceded. he doesn't need to add anything except 3/4 players and full pre season to work on fitness.

Wanderlust_09

So true, my goodness what a change from the negativity on and off the field we had earlier under you-know-who. He sucked the joy out of the club and the football we play.

What I like about Ole is that he is ready to openly accept his mistakes, like how he acknoweledged that may be bringing Lingard on was not a good idea.

With every passing game Ole seems to be adding to his tactical skillset.
We are still a long way to go, the fight for top 4 could go all the way to the last game week. Hope we continue this momentum.