Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Nhuyb

If, only if he is appointed for the job, are we calling his time "The real Manchester, Fergusson like" like I see numerous time here and in the press, or are we calling it like it deserves, The Solkjaer's Manchester United ?

The state of the club after Mourhino, there was so much to do, he did some miracle with many players, with attitude. Always positive, that's what I like, he's a good person.

simon2727

Whether it is saf united or ole united... it make me excited. Always looking forward to the next game. Always going in sports websites reading united reviews and reports. Always login into red cafe....

I can't say the same for our past 3 permanent managers.

Reactions: SteveJ

Tony247

Jose is finished. I doubt any elite club will now appoint him again. 2nd tier like roma, psg, benefica, valencia might.

I don't think real will go for jose. Looks like his own marketing team is putting up those links. I think real will ask zindane for interim job and in summer they will go all out for Poch.

hocane

I am happy to see SAF enjoying football again, He might have a slight guilt feeling for recommending Moyes and how it went since but he redeemed himself by bringing in Ole/Mike

Hope we see some success and he will enjoy his later years with a smile and pride on his face
It was Ole that brought in Mike, not Fergie.

Ole has said the first thing he did after accepting th job was to call Phelan and ask him if he wanted to join the coaching team.

diarm

It really was a disgrace that he wasn't sacked the morning after that Sevilla presser.

He belittled everything the club stands for, publicly and loudly because he was too thin skinned to take any responsibility on himself.

Above Moyes, Van Gaal, sacking the backroom staff, signing this player or not signing that. Allowing Jose to continue in his role after that outburst is the worst decision the club have made since Sir Alex retired.

Djemba-Djemba

I remember thinking Mourinho's post match comments after the Sevilla game were utterly disgraceful but I'd forgotten just how astonishing they were.

How the feck did he not get sacked the minute he left that press conference?

What an unprofessional arsehole he was.

cathari

It really was a disgrace that he wasn't sacked the morning after that Sevilla presser.

He belittled everything the club stands for, publicly and loudly because he was too thin skinned to take any responsibility on himself.

Above Moyes, Van Gaal, sacking the backroom staff, signing this player or not signing that. Allowing Jose to continue in his role after that outburst is the worst decision the club have made since Sir Alex retired.
It's quite obvious how very far we had drifted with Ole now in charge. The presser should almost be added the curriculum for the board, managers, staff and even players on what United is not.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
VG, Norways biggest newspaper, today asks if United are being "tricked" by the the clubs luck since Solskjær came in. And that perhaps we are not creating enough and should concede more. It's important to not make decisions solely based on emotions.

mav_9me

VG, Norways biggest newspaper, today asks if United are being "tricked" by the the clubs luck since Solskjær came in. And that perhaps we are not creating enough and should concede more. It's important to not make decisions solely based on emotions.
I agree in general that we have been a bit lucky. Agree that we have been scoring without necessarily opening up teams for chances particularly since the injuries. But I feel like our defense has played well and not let other teams have much chances due to increased work rate.

Even if we have been lucky with the results, it's still a great job Ole has done. In fact I would give him the job not for the results but for what he has done for our spirit, work rate and how he has improved players and getting so much more out of players like Shaw/Lindelof/Herrera/Lukaku.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I agree in general that we have been a bit lucky. Agree that we have been scoring without necessarily opening up teams for chances particularly since the injuries. But I feel like our defense has played well and not let other teams have much chances due to increased work rate.

Even if we have been lucky with the results, it's still a great job Ole has done. In fact I would give him the job not for the results but for what he has done for our spirit, work rate and how he has improved players and getting so much more out of players like Shaw/Lindelof/Herrera/Lukaku.
Some lucky results mixed with good play.
I do feel that giving it to Ole can go either way after the summer. He obviously need a good pre - season and get in the players he wants.

I have expressed my concern about Ole before but obviously hope I'm dead wrong.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I'd rather have a lucky manager than a good one.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
So they've seen people mention xG.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm not concerned about Ole. Give him time and he'll come good. If it looks like going tits up the club will just go back to the managerial roundabout anyway....

Here's hoping for some stability.

Greck

Can't say I haven't noticed. Our quality in possession tapered off and that was never more obvious than against PSG. There are some mitigating factors that make one give Ole the benefit of the doubt though. Some of it is by design. We let teams have the ball. It's also by design that we look lethal everytime we counter. Another factor is the combined lack of technical quality from our central midfield and centreback paring would make it hard for most managers to dominate any game. We are a composed CM or CB away from where we should want to be

Peter Brewer

Anyone have an active bet for the new permanent united manager?
How much is at stake and what manager did you bet on?

Canagel

You dont win 14 games from 17 including a club record 9 consecutive away wins just by luck.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
People are having a hard time believing what they are seeing. Surely the results speak for themselves though? This isn't luck, it's Ole.

Yes... It's Ole. He's actually good at this.

Acquire Me

You should read the article.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
You should read the article.
I did but it raises some important questions. We have seen some really good football being played last three months but we have also had a good chunk of luck, and the only way we will find out is when he gets the job long term.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I did but it raises some important questions. We have seen some really good football being played last three months but we have also had a good chunk of luck, and the only way we will find out is when he gets the job long term.
Apart from Spurs I don't remember any game in league where we were lucky. Even against Spurs I argued we weren't lucky, we created better chances for 60 mins. In any case if we were lucky vs Spurs then we were unlucky against Burnley.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
We've also seen a lot of bad luck. There's a balance, some good, some bad.

Djemba-Djemba

Under Ole we've drawn Arsenal Chelsea and Wolves away in the cup.

We've also spent the last 4 or 5 games missing 9 or 10 players.

That doesn't seem very lucky to me.

Last edited:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Some lucky results mixed with good play.
I do feel that giving it to Ole can go either way after the summer. He obviously need a good pre - season and get in the players he wants.

I have expressed my concern about Ole before but obviously hope I'm dead wrong.
Good managers create their own luck. Just like SAF. It's the change in mentality that has made us lucky.

mav_9me

Apart from Spurs I don't remember any game in league where we were lucky. Even against Spurs I argued we weren't lucky, we created better chances for 60 mins. In any case if we were lucky vs Spurs then we were unlucky against Burnley.
That's true too.

I want to further clarify what I said above regarding scoring goals without necessarily creating a lot of chances. Lukaku's goals against Southampton are examples of goals out of nothing and not from chances really. Having said that which team apart from City create many chances? Liverpool are up there not too different to us.

gavdim2002

Yes, luck runs out and good managers turn bad. That's football. On the other hand, people who can not appreciate the difference made by 1 singel man (Ole) in less than 3 months do not know anything much about football, to say the least. When Ole came in, we are looking at the Watford and Wolves results. Within 3 months wins away against the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and PSG are talked down as something that "should be expected from Manchester United Football Club". If a transformation from looking at the Watford results to going beyond Sir Matt and Sir Alex in winning 9 away games in a row (incl. a CL history makingin one) is not a valid argument for Ole as our permanent manager, there will never be any.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That's true too.

I want to further clarify what I said above regarding scoring goals without necessarily creating a lot of chances. Lukaku's goals against Southampton are examples of goals out of nothing and not from chances really. Having said that which team apart from City create many chances? Liverpool are up there not too different to us.
Goals we conceded are once in a season type goals. I agree partially that we should create even better chances but we also have to consider our injuries.

GJNJ

As probably been mentioned lots of times stats don't give context to games, I don't mind xg stats but if you just look at them independently then you only get half the picture.

We've played most of our difficult games away, so more counter attacking.

We've taken the lead in lots of games which means the onus is on the other side to come at us.

We've dropped off in later part of games due to fitness (identified by ole).

We lack some quality or a player with ability to control possession in midfield to enable use to keep the ball better. (identified by ole).

We were a bag of shite defensively when ole arrived with no confidence. Defensive units form overtime so in the meantime you will give away chances that you shouldn't.

We were at bag of shite in attack with no confidence when ole arrived with patterns of play, link or cohesion. Again these things come with time.

We've had some luck and some good goalkeeping, weve also been unlucky and some good goalkeeping against us. Swings and roundabouts.

All in all it doesn't mean Ole will definitely be a success but we are heading in the right direction and if you want fine negatives you'll find them.

AgentSquirrel

As probably been mentioned lots of times stats don't give context to games, I don't mind xg stats but if you just look at them independently then you only get half the picture.

We've played most of our difficult games away, so more counter attacking.

We've taken the lead in lots of games which means the onus is on the other side to come at us.

We've dropped off in later part of games due to fitness (identified by ole).

We lack some quality or a player with ability to control possession in midfield to enable use to keep the ball better. (identified by ole).

We were a bag of shite defensively when ole arrived with no confidence. Defensive units form overtime so in the meantime you will give away chances that you shouldn't.

We were at bag of shite in attack with no confidence when ole arrived with patterns of play, link or cohesion. Again these things come with time.

We've had some luck and some good goalkeeping, weve also been unlucky and some good goalkeeping against us. Swings and roundabouts.

All in all it doesn't mean Ole will definitely be a success but we are heading in the right direction and if you want fine negatives you'll find them.
Yep. I think Ole's success so far is making people have unrealistic expectations of where the team is. He's doing brilliantly with what we have, and has said, repeatedly, that we need to improve certain things. These kinds of statements (we've been lucky - we haven't btw & that we need to change this and that) seem to be made from a standpoint of 'this is where we are and where we're staying' when everything coming out of the club suggests the exact opposite. Ole has pointed out the areas we need to improve, he's said we need a few more players. I just don't get the 'oh we can't keep this up, we need this and we need that' handwringing. We already know we're not the finished article, and when the manager himself keeps saying it, why do we need to keep having this conversation? Is it literally just for the sake of people being able to say 'I told you so!!!!' when we inevitably lose another game?

GM K

Lucky? Well, everyone needs a bit of luck to succeed so little wonder there. But like you rightly said, Ole has done a fabulous job. Yes, he will still be tested, no doubt about that (The real test will come when bad results come in, some players start getting too used to him and his 'newness' wears off). But morning at times, shows the day. He has done really, really well so far. I am not sure it is time to hail his tactical acumen just yet but his man management and ability to motivate has been excellent. He has been wise in dealing with the players, the fans and the entire team so far. Most importantly, he has that United spirit. That for me, is the key. I supported Jose and still like him but I had serious doubts about him getting what United was about when it was first rumoured he will be joining the club. That ultimately messed up his stay here.

Ole should be given the job. He has more than earned it and do otherwise, might drag us back.

wolvored

Jose is finished. I doubt any elite club will now appoint him again. 2nd tier like roma, psg, benefica, valencia might.

I don't think real will go for jose. Looks like his own marketing team is putting up those links. I think real will ask zindane for interim job and in summer they will go all out for Poch.
He can manage anybody he likes as long as we dont sign him again. He looks evil now