Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

redom

Gotta take the bad with the good, there was always going to be some downs but after such a strong start and getting us into a position in the league where top 4 is a real possibility and advancing in the cups the expectations have changed and it's no longer a free shot and the pressure is now there to perform week in and week out to take advantage of the position we've gotten ourselves in to. Last week was a blow to top 4 and today put an end to our most realistic chance at silverware so it's no wonder people are feeling a bit deflated, the team really needs to bounce back quickly because the end of the season is going to be a grind.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Why should we rotate in FA cup which is probably our only option for a trophy? And there's international brake coming too so..
Because the fa cup is a trophy that should be very low on our priorities (lvg got sacked after winning it (his championship!!) and Saf didn’t even enter it one year). Top 4 is our major ambition now, especially after drawing Barcelona in the last 8. Today players should have been rested, instead he rested our goalkeeper, who would have probably saved both goals (certainly the second)!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So half a seasons worth of games, if you convert it all to points it would be 44 points from the 19 games. Then when you consider that 6 of those have been cup games against PSG (home/away), Arsenal (away), Chelsea (away), Wolves (away) and Reading (home).

Yeah I'd say Ole's done alright so far. feck off all the knee jerkers going so in depth on every single little thing. It's like people are going to ask questions if hes anything less than perfect, when theres never been a manager who was perfect.
Exactly.

Paul_Scholes18

I agree.

I will say that though tbf to Ole, during our first few games, we genuinely did look good. There were some kinks and all, but we played some really promising stuff. It's just progressively gotten worse over time.
Confidence boost can really help sometimes :). We had some easy games to start with too.

tombombadil

It was a good performance at Arsenal, so why change the team so much. Lukaku and Young were the only ones that needed changing.
Maybe he trusts the first team more and they let him down.

Maybe he felt switching the team so drastically would be unexpected tactically but was anticipated by Nuno.

Who knows?

I just want to see how they react and bounce back from this consecutive defeat. It's the latest in a long line of tests for ole

Jaae

Not ITK
My worry is that Ole’s reputation will be damaged should he get the job full time after how ever many months.

As far as I’m concerned, what we’ve seen is nothing more than a prolonged new manager bounce and a slice of good luck here and there and now it seems both have come to an end. That tonight was the type of performance we saw week in and week under Jose, LVG and Moyes.

I love Ole, he is a Man Utd legend but he isn’t the man to take us forward next season.
And had happened once in 3 months under Solskjaer...

Feel free to name all the managers who don't have dreadful games from time to time. We'll all wait for you.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Wolves have beaten better teams than us at home and they kind of played us the way we play good teams so its kind of moot to moan too much about this. We do however need a plan for how we attack when we are given the ball. Possession is almost a strange concept to us now.

Eddy_JukeZ

Confidence boost can really help sometimes :). We had some easy games to start with too.
Of course, but we had those easy games under Moyes, LVG and Mourinho too.

Our performance vs Cardiff was better than anything those 3 produced in similar easy games. It was a nice building block I thought. We did continue playing well for a few more games afterwards in similar style, but it's declining since then.

Ban

Because the fa cup is a trophy that should be very low on our priorities (lvg got sacked after winning it (his championship!!) and Saf didn’t even enter it one year). Top 4 is our major ambition now, especially after drawing Barcelona in the last 8. Today players should have been rested, instead he rested our goalkeeper, who would have probably saved both goals (certainly the second)!
Low priority? When its only realistic opportunity we shouldnt think which is low and which is a high priority. As I said with international brake coming in there was no point in resting them. On the contrary they needed games.
Also DDG would save the 2nd goal but actually I think he wouldnt have saved that one on one chance Romero saved in the 1st.

Web of Bissaka

I don't get why he's not being proactive in making tactical changes for this game vs Wolves.

Disappointed with Ole in this, he and the rest of his 3 assistants were proactive in past games, this time it's like they don't even bother, geez, overconfidence or something?

His starting lineup and starting tactical game plan are all fair, nothing wrong with that.

Thing is, in game, if the game plan doesn't work, make some adjustment immediately. Wolves gameplan in attack and defend works, ours doesn't even if we managed to held on that long defensively, but damn Wolves didn't slow down at all in having a go. Our attack totally is not working.

Hoping to see changes after half time team talk, but nope, same shite is served. And what's with the lacklustre in effort and desire by our players. Geez. Having a manager that is too easy and too nice is a heaven for some.

Only bother to make changes wayyy late game, just before Wolves finally break the deadlock. Geez. Good changes anyhow, but wayyyy late. Good changes after their 2nd goal too.

I don't care if we lose if all our players seriously tried hard. Doesn't happen that way, no idea what some players are doing there, deserve to lose with this shit.

POF

What ridiculous overreactions. 2 defeats in a row and Ole is "out of his depth" and "outclassed".

United played Arsenal off the pitch and were unlucky not to win comfortably.

Wolves were the better team today but it was always going to be a tough game. They have beaten some quality teams this season. The game came down to the quality of the attackers. Jimenez took his goal brilliantly. United's front 3 didn't produce. Rashford is a kid and the other 2 are just back from injury. They will have off games so you need depth.

You can blame Ole but he had no options. Lukaku, Sanchez and Greenwood were all out. Maybe Mata could have come on earlier but with the options available it's hard to argue about anything else.

Jaae

Not ITK
Ole isn't the miracle worker that some desperately believe he is.

The squad is the squad, they've proven time and time again their inconsistency. In all honesty we should've been out vs PSG but we had a magical moment which was great. In the grand scheme of things though, it wouldn't matter much.

I just don't see OGS reshaping the club to get with the modern times. All I see (and hear) are just nice things and what SAF would've done, SAF's way, spirit etc.

I thought we all agreed (when Fergie left) that the next guy shouldn't try to emulate the great man. But now Ole's fine? I don't really get that, personally.

If we give him the job, I hope he succeeds of course, but I'm really worried.
And were you 'really worried' two games ago?

Knee jerk, reactionary bollocks as always with this place.

SAFMUTD

What worries me about Ole, since he is not a proved manager, is that as soon as there’s a little blood the press the fans and even the players will doubt him.

I don’t know if the players and him can take it, it’s easy to have confidence in the manager when everything goes your way but as soon as things get hard that’s when the doubts start.

Today was the first game where I was really worried, we play shit and Ole didn’t adjust, I know we don’t have a lot of options on the bench but I expected a change in tactics since it was clear that it was just a matter of time until Wolves scored.

For sure we need a rebuilding and some players are clearly not good enough if we are to compete with City and Liverpool, but I’m not sure Ole is the right person to do it. It’s not going to be an easy ride and I don’t know if he can take the pressure.

Reactions: Sultan

Ban

My worry is that Ole’s reputation will be damaged should he get the job full time after how ever many months.

As far as I’m concerned, what we’ve seen is nothing more than a prolonged new manager bounce and a slice of good luck here and there and now it seems both have come to an end. That tonight was the type of performance we saw week in and week under Jose, LVG and Moyes.

I love Ole, he is a Man Utd legend but he isn’t the man to take us forward next season.
Prolonged new manager bounce and slice of good luck and nothing else?
That's not far from he got the team smiling stuff. And anybody would have done it..

One really bad game and its all over, you dont want him?

Mister_Stubbs

And had happened once in 3 months under Solskjaer...

Feel free to name all the managers who don't have dreadful games from time to time. We'll all wait for you.
It hasn’t happened once though. We were poor against PSG at home. Poor against Burnley at home. Lucky to beat Southampton at home. We were okay at Arsenal but lost.

All managers have blips from time to time, of course they do but for me and I said as much when Ole was doing well.. he isn’t the man who is going to take us forward in the long run.

Mister_Stubbs

That's not far from he got the team smiling stuff. And anybody would have done it..

I didn’t want him when he was doing well.

All 3 United

Low priority? When its only realistic opportunity we shouldnt think which is low and which is a high priority. As I said with international brake coming in there was no point in resting them. On the contrary they needed games.
Also DDG would save the 2nd goal but actually I think he wouldnt have saved that one on one chance Romero saved in the 1st.
Well personally I’d prefer CL next year than winning the Fa cup this year.

The fact is the players all had a point to prove when Jose left, basically to stick one in on Jose (believe me that would have been one hell of a motivator!). Now that motivation has worn off we’re left with a load of pre-Madonna’s with a manager with very little experience.

Halftrack

I thought we looked very lackluster against them, especially in the area of determination. We were really outfought by them, especially in the first half. We could have won the game, certainly, and if Lukaku had scored that chance when it was 0-0 who knows how the game might have gone, but in my opinion most of the team were below par against arsenal.
Fair enough. A few players did look tired in that game, but I thought most put in decent to good performances.
The decision to sack LvG was made before the game as we made no progress under him. I doubt even a CL win would have saved him. The season we withdrew under SAF back in 99/00 was because the FA pressured the club to go take part in CWC because they thought it would earn them votes for England's WC bid.

redshaw

Always said lets judge at the end of the season. Will be interesting to see if he can pick things up again after the break.

Cloud7

The decision to sack LvG was made before the game as we made no progress under him. I doubt even a CL win would have saved him. The season we withdrew under SAF back in 99/00 was because the FA pressured the club to go take part in CWC because they thought it would earn them votes for England's WC bid.
Think you tagged me in the wrong post mate :lol:

All 3 United

Reasons aside the FA cup was made what it is today by Saf’s decision all those years ago.

Ban

Well personally I’d prefer CL next year than winning the Fa cup this year.

The fact is the players all had a point to prove when Jose left, basically to stick one in on Jose (believe me that would have been one hell of a motivator!). Now that motivation has worn off we’re left with a load of pre-Madonna’s with a manager with very little experience.
Well this year is this year, who knows what will happen next year.
It was a bad game but lets not make a mountain out of it.

Canagel

the subs were too late. I was actually content with the first half but we had a lack of ideas in possesion that must be solved asap to deal with park the bus teams. losing two matches on spin is not drama if we find quick solution to get us back on track. city lost two games to leicester and Newcastle so who are we to act entitled after wolves, Arsenal defeats? work harder and improve for the next stretch of matches after the break. ole is staying when he gets the top 4. some of you don't get your hopes up or you'll be left dissapointed when the confirmation is made.

Last edited:

Patrick08

Agreed.

On top of that, it feels like Rashford is allowed to do whatever we wants.
But there was no one on the bench to replace him. Also rashford wasn't going to get space in behind wolves defense.

All 3 United

Well this year is this year, who knows what will happen next year.
It was a bad game but lets not make a mountain out of it.
I just think we should wait until the summer before making any decisions on the manager and/or DOF.

Tapori

It's now that Ole needs our support
Knee-jerkers can go do one.
If this time in 2 years time we are back at square one then so be it.
But we should stick with this man and let him build
Trust
Can't wait to see what he has for the Barca games but ultimately he'll be judged by finishing in that top 4
Squeaky squeaky bum time indeed.

Patrick08

When Jose was sacked it was on the players to prove it. Until the end of the season it remains on the players only unless ole gets it incredibly wrong.

The players are exposing themselves.

All 3 United

Agree about that, just dont like to see all these kneejerk reactions.
We just can’t afford to cock up another appointment or we could be stairing down the barrel of a Liverpool scenario....

Hopefully ole bounces back and shows us another side to him but we need to judge that over the next few months.....

bleedred

I say we sack ole now and get in ince, he will win the next 12 games with the new manager bounce, then when he loses a game, we can sack him as well and get Hughes. And Bruce and so on. We have so many legends in waiting.

Am I doing it right?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

It is not just one bad game. Spurs, Leicester, Psg home and away and Southampton were not that good also. We just had more luck in those games. And after dire Jose's football, everything looks better and more attacking.
Again, i don't know is he good or not. I am just trying to be objective. Maybe our players are not good enough. I don't know. I think that Allegri or Poch would be better because with them we know what we are getting. With Ole, we don't.