Ole has to start agitating over lack of signings

Ranchero

Fair enough. But let’s wait till then before complaining. I imagine by Thursday we will have two more signings to get excited about.
How many times have i heard this since Fergie left. Head in sand. All will be ok. Nothing to see. Nothing to see.

Meanwhile Rome burns.

Eric's Seagull

Ole also said that this will be the survival of the fittest and here we are keeping all the players and he also wanted all signings to be wrapped up by pre season training and here we are. Correct me if I am wrong but the target was 5 players. We had since signed 2 one of which is some runner from the Championship. If the minimum target for Ole is the same to what was set for Moyes, LVG and Mou then we'll need to make it to top 4. I doubt we've got the squad for that.

I am quite excited on youths as most people in here. However what we're asking from them goes way beyond to what we asked the class of 92.

a- we had a better manager back then
b- we had a better team back then.
c- the class of 92 were older then Greenwood, Chong and co when they were introduced to the first team
d- the EPL wasn't as tough back then than it is now

Regarding Sancho, with all due respect, these clowns can't even sign a decent CB or bring in a DOF. How on earth can Sancho be a target? I think the real target is to find ways how to blood suck the club so that the Glazers can make pay their loans
I was excited initially when I thought that we would be making 5 signings, as to seem this seemed a decent way to start off the rebuild and was also happy Ole wanted all his signings done by preseason as that gives them more time to get used to his methods and gel with the team. Disappointing this hasn't happened.

I agree on your point in bold and got ridiculed for having this opinion a couple of days ago.

I am happy with the youth coming through but I think Woody is banking on them all coming good which I really hope happens, although it may or may not. Although I think it will be too much pressure to expect them to play amazingly this season, they need time to grow to fulfill their potential.

An easier thing in a way for the class of 92 that we had a stable team to bed them into full of big personalities like Cantona, Schmeichel, Ince, Hughes and Bruce to absorb the pressure which which we don't have at the moment causing more pressure for our new youngsters to perform.

I think we will find it really hard to sign Sancho next season because should he even want to come; if he has another decent season and stars at the Euro's, which he could well do; then his price is going to going to be astronomical.

Sanchez7

Which is dangerous for Ole. United had already destroyed the careers of 3 managers all of which were more experienced then he was. I can understand he loves United and he wouldn't want to leave us. However he shouldn't ruin his career for anyone
To be fair we have also given him an opportunity of a lifetime. I don’t think he would have attracted interest from any top clubs will working in Norway.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I for one do not think that we will be challenging for titles this upcoming season. The theme here is to rebuild and you don't rebuild in just one season.

Besides, I would like to see what Ole can do with limited resources, to gauge if he is good enough as a manager. If it's only two that we sign, then so be it. Let Ole do his work and for feck sake, get behind him and the team through thick and thin.
I really don't wanna know. Obviously between gonna crazy on the transfer and what we have done, there is a middle ground I'd love us to reach. AWB is the only true signing, James will have to earn his playing time. What we're doing is setting up Ole to fail

POF

Ole also said that this will be the survival of the fittest and here we are keeping all the players and he also wanted all signings to be wrapped up by pre season training and here we are. Correct me if I am wrong but the target was 5 players. We had since signed 2 one of which is some runner from the Championship. If the minimum target for Ole is the same to what was set for Moyes, LVG and Mou then we'll need to make it to top 4. I doubt we've got the squad for that.

I am quite excited on youths as most people in here. However what we're asking from them goes way beyond to what we asked the class of 92.

a- we had a better manager back then
b- we had a better team back then.
c- the class of 92 were older then Greenwood, Chong and co when they were introduced to the first team
d- the EPL wasn't as tough back then than it is now

Regarding Sancho, with all due respect, these clowns can't even sign a decent CB or bring in a DOF. How on earth can Sancho be a target? I think the real target is to find ways how to blood suck the club so that the Glazers can make pay their loans
I agree that it's completely unfair to compare them to the class of 92. The main reason being that the class of 92 came into a squad with experienced leaders like Keane, Cantona, Schmeichel, Irwin, Bruce and Pallister. There isn't a single strong character in the existing squad.

But they also aren't expected to win the league. I also don't think there is any "minimum 4th" requirement. If the club is on an upward trajectory, I'd be amazed if Ole left.

Not sure where you got 5 signings from. Ole said there would be changes but "you can't change 6 players in one window". Is that why people assume 5?

The Glazers own a global behemoth of an organisation in Manchester United. If they do not want that organisation to be the most successful club in world football then they are sabotaging that asset. Why would they do that?

The more successful United is, the more valuable the asset will be. It boggles the mind that people think the Glazers don't want the club to be successful.

The club is run terribly. Van Gaal performed a "squad rebuild". He left and Jose wanted to sell every one of his signings. Now Ole is in and 4 of Jose's costliest signings (Lukaku, Sanchez, Fred and Matic) seem completely unsuited to Ole's style.

The club is a disjointed mess and it is incredible that they still haven't appointed a Director of Football. Their leadership and structuring of the senior management of the organisation has been farcical but the Glazers and Woodward have spent plenty on improving the team.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Please don’t mistake Ole for Mourinho. Ole will not go against the board and the CEO. Can’t you guys see that always ends in a disaster? I’m not saying Ole is a yes man but there’s two weeks to go and Ole looks relaxed which means he feels he will get the players. I don’t want another Mourinho. Ole is doing the right thing and keeping everything internal which is what Sir Alex did. Back from my holiday with a spring in my step but as soon as I come on here I get depressed. You all need chill the Feck out

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
How the feck could any manager in the world be expected to rebuild on a £100 million budget?

I just cannot believe that a financial powerhouse like Manchester United is dependent on selling players to then purchase new players.

Fans can dress it up any way they like, but the reality of the situation is that this has been a disgraceful summer transfer window.

When you consider the size of the rebuild required, you could probably say that this has been the worst window ever. We needed to get it right this summer if we wanted to really push on and so far it’s been a disaster.

I hate Real Madrid with a passion, but I really do look at them with enviable eyes. Not because of the number of CL wins, but because they have owners that put the football first.

Sad sad times :(

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

Didn't say it was a mega deal just evidence of them spending more more noney than us this transfer window:( which I hope changes really soon :D
I don't think that'll be the case by time the window shuts. Looks like a Lukaku deal is close now (apparently he was working on setting up a move from October when he signed for Conte's brother as an agent), it will trigger moves in.

Don't forget United are on the stock exchange and the difference in money from champs league and europa league is about £60m. There is no way the Glazers are going to to spend £200m+ net to gain £60m for champs league qualification. It would be a financial loss. It was never going to happen.

I suspect deals are lined up both in and out but they're keeping the books balanced.

Eric's Seagull

I don't think that'll be the case by time the window shuts. Looks like a Lukaku deal is close now (apparently he was working on setting up a move from October when he signed for Conte's brother as an agent), it will trigger moves in.

Don't forget United are on the stock exchange and the difference in money from champs league and europa league is about £60m. There is no way the Glazers are going to to spend £200m+ net to gain £60m for champs league qualification. It would be a financial loss. It was never going to happen.

I suspect deals are lined up both in and out but they're keeping the books balanced.
I really hope you are right on this and this would make make me extremely happy:D as I think if we stay as we are the moment we will struggle.

Ranchero

Please don’t mistake Ole for Mourinho. Ole will not go against the board and the CEO. Can’t you guys see that always ends in a disaster? I’m not saying Ole is a yes man but there’s two weeks to go and Ole looks relaxed which means he feels he will get the players. I don’t want another Mourinho. Ole is doing the right thing and keeping everything internal which is what Sir Alex did. Back from my holiday with a spring in my step but as soon as I come on here I get depressed. You all need chill the Feck out
11 days.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I agree that it's completely unfair to compare them to the class of 92. The main reason being that the class of 92 came into a squad with experienced leaders like Keane, Cantona, Schmeichel, Irwin, Bruce and Pallister. There isn't a single strong character in the existing squad.

But they also aren't expected to win the league. I also don't think there is any "minimum 4th" requirement. If the club is on an upward trajectory, I'd be amazed if Ole left.

Not sure where you got 5 signings from. Ole said there would be changes but "you can't change 6 players in one window". Is that why people assume 5?

The Glazers own a global behemoth of an organisation in Manchester United. If they do not want that organisation to be the most successful club in world football then they are sabotaging that asset. Why would they do that?

The more successful United is, the more valuable the asset will be. It boggles the mind that people think the Glazers don't want the club to be successful.

The club is run terribly. Van Gaal performed a "squad rebuild". He left and Jose wanted to sell every one of his signings. Now Ole is in and 4 of Jose's costliest signings (Lukaku, Sanchez, Fred and Matic) seem completely unsuited to Ole's style.

The club is a disjointed mess and it is incredible that they still haven't appointed a Director of Football. Their leadership and structuring of the senior management of the organisation has been farcical but the Glazers and Woodward have spent plenty on improving the team.
The class of 92 was introduced at an older age, gradually (there's a gap between Giggs and Scholes in midfield that translate in years), in a better team, with a better manager in place and in a league that was way less competitive then it is now. We weren't really dependent on them either. As said we had some top players at that side like Keane, Cantona, Schmeichel, Irwin, Bruce, Pally, even Giggs whom, by that time, was already becoming an established winger worth of being mentioned in pressers by Lippi. Also no one expected United to win the league back then either. Some pundits even thought we'll end up 4th which was a bit of an exaggeration in my books. We should have ended between 1st and 3rd place max

We keep mentioning that Rome wasn't built in a day which is fair enough. However it wasn't rebuilt by putting 2 bricks every year while keeping the heap of rubbish there might have been there. Do you know how many players Sir Alex bought in 1988 and 1989? 11 players. Ole bought two which consist of a RB with 1 good EPL year experience in his belt and some runner from the Championship. And don't get me going about Ole's quotes.He had to backtrack on his survival of the fittest quote, on having his transfers made prior to preseason training quote and on bringing some hungry players to the club quote. That's not how rebuilds are made.

Regarding the Glazers, we're not their first sports asset they bought that they had managed to bring to their knees. Tampa Bay are pretty much a joke as well. All they are good at is to generate and then suck as much money from their assets as possible. Which explains why all the managers we had from Moyes to Mou had complained about that very same thing. It also justify why Sir Alex's squad at retiring age was by far the weakest he had ever had and consisted of players in their mid thirties (one of which just came out of retirement) which was further augmented by donkeys to do the leg work. Since then we had wingers playing as full backs and we had a CB whose been here for 9 years being handed a 5 year contract despite doing jack shit throughout all his entire career. Meanwhile the DOF role has yet to be filled, none of our deadwood has been sold and there's rumours of OT's roof leaking water when it rains. FFS we're Manchester United. Not Fulham, not Everton, not even Spurs.....we're the most supported club in the world, a club that generate millions every year.

fps

Will the Bale move be the start of the Pogba transfer? And would forumites here accept Maguire and Bruno coming in if it meant Pogba heading out?

Sparky Rhiwabon

Will the Bale move be the start of the Pogba transfer? And would forumites here accept Maguire and Bruno coming in if it meant Pogba heading out?
I think we'd still need another good midfielder in that case.

fps

I think we'd still need another good midfielder in that case.
For a lot of forumites, it feels like a best-case scenario would be Pogba and Lukaku gone leading to Bruno, SMS and Maguire.

I can't help but wonder if Pogba has a great season in him for Utd, but even that would only mean he was more certain to leave the next year.

Sparky Rhiwabon

For a lot of forumites, it feels like a best-case scenario would be Pogba and Lukaku gone leading to Bruno, SMS and Maguire.

I can't help but wonder if Pogba has a great season in him for Utd, but even that would only mean he was more certain to leave the next year.
On the other hand he could just as likely put in a season of sulky lazy performances due to not getting his desired move. He may well be behaving himself on tour on the basis that he is being promised a move.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I mean best case scenario, I'd much rather have a motivated Pogba - but are we going to get that if he stays? He's shown that he can do it when he wants to - look at the ten games after Jose went - almost unplayable. But after that he went back to 'bad Pogba' when he decided he wanted to leave

Posh Red

Possibly from the BBC article that stated Ole wanted a minimum of five signings

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
How the feck could any manager in the world be expected to rebuild on a £100 million budget?

I just cannot believe that a financial powerhouse like Manchester United is dependent on selling players to then purchase new players.

Fans can dress it up any way they like, but the reality of the situation is that this has been a disgraceful summer transfer window.

When you consider the size of the rebuild required, you could probably say that this has been the worst window ever. We needed to get it right this summer if we wanted to really push on and so far it’s been a disaster.

I hate Real Madrid with a passion, but I really do look at them with enviable eyes. Not because of the number of CL wins, but because they have owners that put the football first.

Because incompetent people are running the club, we've spent (see wasted) incredible amount of money on wages and transfer fees in the past 6 years. Instead of trimming our wage bill and shedding the deadwood, we've haggled for couple of millions and handed contract extension to keep the value of players high. That's all well and good but ultimately you have to sell those players, which we haven't. Darmian is still at the club even though he's wanted to be sold for 5 windows now, Rojo, Mata, Smalling, Jones, Pereira all got shiny new contracts. Players who haven't pulled up any trees have been handed hefty pay rise (Shaw, Martial and Rashford). It's all a mess.

Our squad is extremely bloated, hence we're waiting for few departures before making new signings. Frustrating part is, it has been bloated for a long time. This should've been sorted a long time ago but we're being a made a fool by Woodward and board, plebs like Wumminator will lap it up though and preach alls ok when it obviously isn't.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Said it from the start he’s a yes man nothing more, if Woodward told him on deadline day we’ve sold Pogba and de gea but can’t bring anyone else in he wouldn’t kick up a fuss.

Has zero ruthlessness he’s a Glazer/Woodward puppet nothing more.

Litch

Because incompetent people are running the club, we've spent (see wasted) incredible amount of money on wages and transfer fees in the past 6 years. Instead of trimming our wage bill and shedding the deadwood, we've haggled for couple of millions and handed contract extension to keep the value of players high. That's all well and good but ultimately you have to sell those players, which we haven't. Darmian is still at the club even though he's wanted to be sold for 5 windows now, Rojo, Mata, Smalling, Jones, Pereira all got shiny new contracts. Players who haven't pulled up any trees have been handed hefty pay rise (Shaw, Martial and Rashford). It's all a mess.

Our squad is extremely bloated, hence we're waiting for few departures before making new signings. Frustrating part is, it has been bloated for a long time. This should've been sorted a long time ago but we're being a made a fool by Woodward and board, plebs like Wumminator will lap it up though and preach alls ok when it obviously isn't.
Wouldn't argue with lots of that. The writing was on the wall when Ole offered Mata, Jones, Young and Pereira contract extensions as arguably, that's the polar opposite of what most of us expected. I suspect we aren't going to sign anyone else and Ole has been told to make the most of other managers mistakes. Ole was firm about some players won't be here but I didn't expect it was because they wanted to leave anyway....

Moriarty

Bloated, yes, but the squad is bloated and unbalanced. Moreover, there's scant cover for key positions. If we're to play a high-tempo pressing game, then we should be prepared for the inevitable injury crisis and pray it doesn't happen to a right-sided player, a striker, or a midfielder.

C'est Moi Cantona

Said it from the start he’s a yes man nothing more, if Woodward told him on deadline day we’ve sold Pogba and de gea but can’t bring anyone else in he wouldn’t kick up a fuss.

Rubbish, why would he set himself up for a hiding to nothing for their sake? Ole isn't stupid, and neither are most fans, they know he needs players to stand any chance.

Ole is the silent assassin, so if they don't back him, and try to do to him what they did to the last theee managers, then he'll be the one to finally slay Ed, and hopefully the Glazers as well.

SuperiorXI

Ole speaking out will actually reduce the chance of signing players as it benefits the other teams we are negotiating with as we appear more desperate.

VanGaalyTime

I really hope you are right on this and this would make make me extremely happy:D as I think if we stay as we are the moment we will struggle.
I'm hoping they understand, as business owners that United must invest 200m for the next three years at least in order to get close to winning the champions league. Even 600m wouldn't get close to the amount City have spent or the amount the Glazers owe United. But it would be a start. There will likely be significant riots this year if we don't invest properly. So we have to replace Lukaku and Pogba if they're sold. And buy an RW and Maguire or another CD. If that happens I can see Woodward being okay for the season.

buckooo1978

keeps Woodward, the Glazers and the romantic United fans satisfied

they'll soon trot out Rio and others in advisory roles or coaching positions and naive fans will be convinced this is what will return us to the Fergie

meanwhile we spend less than promoted teams

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

They can't but that's just the reality of where we're at. Solskjaer kicking up a fuss about it in public isn't going to change anything.

Years of bad decisions have caught up with us and we're left with a poor squad despite spending reasonable amounts in the last few seasons (but not enough). We've blown the big financial advantage we had over other teams on dross.

When Liverpool are having to tighten their belts this summer despite major success in the CL and the prize money that comes with it it tells a story. As Klopp has said their wages have gone up significantly but they still won't be as ridiculous as ours and that has a big impact on what we can spend.

As for Real, haven't they been net spend positive over the last few seasons until this summer? Loads of our players are next to worthless in sales, that's one of our many problems.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
keeps Woodward, the Glazers and the romantic United fans satisfied

they'll soon trot out Rio and others in advisory roles or coaching positions and naive fans will be convinced this is what will return us to the Fergie

meanwhile we spend less than promoted teams
So on that last line, which teams have spent more than 70m in england so far this summer?

Sparky Rhiwabon

£100m is one top player in their prime these days. Unless we sell Pogba but then we're losing our best player before we start, hardly the best foundation for a rebuild!

Maybe that's part of the appeal of Solskjaer though, he'll not kick up too much of a fuss, just keep smiling and say how happy he is with the squad.

Red For Ever

I'm glad we are not seeing public tantrums from Ole, and I do not believe he is the pushover that some think.

Although we all want news and updates by the minute, I prefer to believe difficult decisions and discussions are
going on behind closed doors, and away from public scrutiny.

It looks better for the players and fans, the rest I do not care what they think.
Many will just twist and invent what suits them anyway.

hubbuh

The stupidity of this forum knows no bounds. You dont air your dirty laundry in public and Ole is intelligent enough and sensible enough to do it in the right.

What im sick of seeing on this forum is a complete lack of common sense on the grounds that because United wont pay ridiculous amounts for overpriced players, it is seen board's not backing Ole. The cash cow that other clubs seem to see United as needs to stop and if that means that we dont pay 80-90 million for a defender, I dont care.
Well said.

baskinginthesun

So on that last line, which teams have spent more than 70m in england so far this summer?
Villa maybe. I'm not sure. But, promoted teams tend to spend a lot to try and survive. Didn't Fulham do the same thing last season?

Other than that, this has to be one of the quietest summers for the Premier League that I have seen. The fact that no one is spending is maybe a sign that they are preparing for a global recession again or Brexit or something. I dunno, pure speculation at this point but, if Ole is happy with the squad then I can get on board with that.

Grande

Wouldn't argue with lots of that. The writing was on the wall when Ole offered Mata, Jones, Young and Pereira contract extensions as arguably, that's the polar opposite of what most of us expected. I suspect we aren't going to sign anyone else and Ole has been told to make the most of other managers mistakes. Ole was firm about some players won't be here but I didn't expect it was because they wanted to leave anyway....
Ole said there was ‘a chance’ some players had played their last game for United. That’s not being firm that Mata, Young, Jones or Pereira will not be here.

He also said in December that the players where better than many thought. He also said in July that he was pleased with how the players have responded to his demands after last season’s end.

I think people expecting some big clear-out in the face of Solskjærs statements, where thinking wishfully, based on their own impatience with many of the players.

I’ll still be surprised if not at least three players have left before the windows close.

SuperiorXI

The stupidity of this forum knows no bounds. You dont air your dirty laundry in public and Ole is intelligent enough and sensible enough to do it in the right.

What im sick of seeing on this forum is a complete lack of common sense on the grounds that because United wont pay ridiculous amounts for overpriced players, it is seen board's not backing Ole. The cash cow that other clubs seem to see United as needs to stop and if that means that we dont pay 80-90 million for a defender, I dont care.
Spot on mate. People are quick to forget United is a business and can't just chuck money away left right and centre. Public moaning from our manager creates problems for us. This is one of the gripes I had with Mourinho. You could tell he was all about himself since he publicly criticised the club.

Castia

The squad could actually end up worse than last season.

We’ve lost Fellaini, Herrera and possibly Pogba and the indication is we won’t sign a midfielder unless Pogba goes leaving us with 3 out (one of those arguably our best player) and 1 in who wont be better than Pogba regardless. The thought of losing those 3 and signing Longstaff is baffling.

Say what you like about Lukaku he’s got more goals in him than Martial or Rashford and I’d bet he’ll outscore both of them next season in Italy. Fair enough if Ole wants him gone but we need a replacement, there’s 10 days left to sign a pivotal part of our squad and it just doesn’t seem realistic.

I’m happy with Wan-Bissaka and James could be exciting but it’s simply not enough. We’re desperate for a CB, midfielder, winger and striker (when Lukaku goes) what the feck is going on.