Ole needs to trust ALL his players

redpatron

I don't know how anyone can disagree. We have a certain group of players who have a long leash, continue to feck up, and will picked to play the next game. Than, we have another group who are walking on egg shells. If they make one mistake, they are immediately subbed and never seen again for months. There's a reason there such a dramatic composure and performance difference between the starters and reserves.

Varane around town

One of the pieces I read today pointed out just how absurd it is that Ole wants a big squad but, clearly, only trusts a few of the players.

He was asking for trouble with that policy.

greatscott9930

Supports
St. Louis City Soccer Club
I have supported Ole all along, but this has been my biggest complaint with his management. The poor form at season's end is evidence of poor squad usage throughout the season. The main players are tired. Maguire especially must be running on fumes. He rarely sat out games last year and had the Euros over the summer. Players are complaining about too many fixtures, and Ole runs our internationals into the ground. I don't understand why you can't rotate 1-2 a match to keep everyone fresh and motivated.

On a personal note, my college coach operated this way. He never made subs and rarely changed the starters. I was the 12th man in terms of quality and rarely played. I hated playing for the guy. No matter what you did, you didn't play if you weren't one of his favorites.

ti vu

Every manager have their favorites, and they trust some players more than others. The issue with Ole is that he looks like he doesn't know what to do with his favorite and less so with the others players. Yet he was not ruthless beside ridding biggest Mourinho backers. He hoarded players, bought for the sake of buying.

VictoriaRed

Well he needs to begin trying new things are he's fuked and so are we. Here's to hoping we finish 4th.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Not sure about trust but Ole rarely rotates because we lack a system. We dont really have a way to build up our attack or a shape while defending, its mostly pass it to Bruno , Rashford and Ronaldo.

If we look at City,Pool or even Brighton as a matter of fact they seems to play a certain way regardless of the starting 11. I wish Ole had spent last summer coming up with a few formations to utilize all players but looks like hes sticking with 4231 till the end which is sad considering we have just 1 defensive midfielder and even hes past sell by date
This right here.

Ole relies on individuals and when his key individuals are out of form, injured or coming back from injury, it all goes pear shaped.

He doesn't even have the bottle to try something different.

If he is still there for the Spurs game, I won't bet against him using the same team he did at Liverpool. I would be very very surprised if we saw VDB get a start, or him trying out a new system.

ToToMarshall

Whilst our core of 15ish first teamers might not be performing remotely close to an acceptable standard, I think what we have to replace them would be even worse...

Telles is dreadful. Dalot is worse. Lindelöf is average and Bailly is at best unreliable. Matic we don’t think can be trusted to play more than 60 minutes a week. Lord knows what the issue with DvdB is but I’m beyond caring at this point. Mata is beyond finished. And he was my favourite player but Anthony Martial barely looks a mid-table player now.

The only ones I wouldn’t mind seeing more of would be Cavani and Lingard.

Daengophile

You would have to flip that coin on the head and ask if the players trust the coaching team.

I can't for the life of me understand why a whole busfull of defenders can perform like the 7 dwarves week in week out

Mindhunter

No he doesn't. He needs to provide equal opportunity to ALL players and play them on merit, not past performance. It appears that he resorts to overplaying his big guns when the going gets tough and he needs results. This is an indication of the lack of proper structure within the team that can't get a result despite having such a strong bench.

What's the point in paying high salaries to our bench warmers if the manager can't fit them in? His job as a manager is to optimize the use of available resources, not run players to the ground to try save his job. If I were in his shoes, I would make radical changes and drop underperforming stars.

There are rumors floating around that Bailey accosted Solksjaer and demanded an explanation around not playing him for the Leicester game when clearly Maguire was injured.

The only reason I can attribute this reluctance to utilize the squad is that he fears that the lack of planning and structure will be exposed.

hobbers

The only reason I can attribute this reluctance to utilize the squad is that he fears that the lack of planning and structure will be exposed.
It's exactly what everyone says, he relies on individual brilliance to win matches.

Managers who rely on their systems to win matches just need 11 cogs in the machine. Ole needs 11 machines.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Hella exposed = dribbled past once, which only led to a goal because of a deflection and wouldn't have happened if Matic had more mobility or VDB made a different decision. Not saying I rate him, but he sure as shit is better than Shaw in this form. Same for Bailly - Maguire and VDB - McTominay.

I agree with the OP, but it's too little too late now. Ole's finished.
Every word of this. 100%

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Think I've seen/heard one or two reports saying Ole is stubborn and doesn't want to be proven wrong about VDB / also persists with McFred to prove a point.

Unsure of how reliable that is but if true, it's absolutely shocking.
Thar stubbornness must gone mental because starting the same lineup with Liverpool that saw us go 0:2 down with Atalanta, was pure insanity

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Football is a confidence game and witht the right amount of it, even hopeless players can deliver decent performances.
When our subs rarely get playing time, they know unless they deliver a flawless performance, they won't have a chance to play again for a while. This sort of pressure is unhealthy while the main players know they can feck around as much as they want, they'll play the next game again and again

passtheball

It is one of the reasons he is about to lose his job. Starting Maguire against Leicester was ridiculous. Does he need four world-class center backs in his squad? Successful managers use their squad players.

Perhaps when Ole reflects on his time here, he will learn and do better when managing his next club. In Norway.

padzilla

Hipster
Ole needs to go - he can't stand up to the big names and is there to keep them happy, now that's blown up in his face it's game over. Our dressing room is full of sewer rats throwing managers under the bus with shite performances and then briefing the media it's the manager's fault.
The likes of Maguire and Shaw are picked week in, week out despite regularly turning in performances of utter shite.

AlexUTD

Probably should have noticed that before we bought him.
I thought our scouts would notice the lack of pace?

I did not know that he was this slow, cause i dont watch the portoguese league.

Hella exposed = dribbled past once, which only led to a goal because of a deflection and wouldn't have happened if Matic had more mobility or VDB made a different decision. Not saying I rate him, but he sure as shit is better than Shaw in this form. Same for Bailly - Maguire and VDB - McTominay.

I agree with the OP, but it's too little too late now. Ole's finished.
If you are not quick,you wont get any quicker by playing more.
A quite important attribute as a left back in premier league.

Man, if you do not get a run of continuous games, you do not get to adapt to the game in England. Training everyday just to not play is not going to increase the intensity.

The op is right. All these players now need to play more. Show players like Maguire that is not guaranteed to start.

Shaw had been bad, telles at the worst
is going to leak goals just like Shaw. Not going to lose anything, I have hope that telles might turn out to be a decent player.

His treatment of VdB has been nothing short of spiteful.
I couldnt agree more!

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Bailly did absolutely fine in the cup game he played and he was decent enough to get us to a 2nd place. Absolutely bizzare decision to not play him. It's not as ifMaguire was in the form of his life prior to his injury either.
Wrong. Dalot is among our fastest players and he's looked the worst defensively out of all our fullbacks (that performance against Villareal's Danjuma was damning).
Pace is an important attribute (not the most important), but when the competition is Shaw in this form it should not be a deal breaker.

Ixion

He is credited with putting together this amazing squad yet he doesn't use most of it. So the reality is half the squad is useless or he's not using it correctly.

Flexdegea

Been thinking the same. Main cause of Ole issues this season.

Maguire giving goals away every game, gets rushed back to start.........then proceeded to prob give away 6/7 goals in 3 games maybe. Same for Shaw, Fred been shocking this season, same problem couldn't win a tackle to save his life and actually passed the ball back to a opposition player and they scored too...........started nearly every game no matter what, think he even came on sub one time we were chasing a goal, and beek threw a chew gum at Ole in a rage. All the players beside Beek felt the same as him looked surprised Fred was coming on.

This stuff is hard to avoid.........why you have a lot of discontent with the squad at the moment, and the results show.

He has managed it well this season.

AlexUTD

Bailly did absolutely fine in the cup game he played and he was decent enough to get us to a 2nd place. Absolutely bizzare decision to not play him. It's not as ifMaguire was in the form of his life prior to his injury either.

Wrong. Dalot is among our fastest players and he's looked the worst defensively out of all our fullbacks (that performance against Villareal's Danjuma was damning).
Pace is an important attribute (not the most important), but when the competition is Shaw in this form it should not be a deal breaker.
Dalot? We are talking about Telles here and his lack of pace. A left back lacking pace in PL is dangerous, if Telles are in attack and we lose the ball to the opponement he will never have a chance to get back in time to defend.

I really like Telles cause he can shoot, put in good crosses, and take pens etc. But his lack of pace is a big concern.

nokoya

Bailey, Mata, VDB, Amad. His problem isn't so simple not trusting his players only, he also lack of man-management.

From a greatest former player to an annoying former manager.

KeanoMagicHat

I can agree with you on everything except Telles. The reason he does not start is that he is way too slow to run up and down. He got hella exposed against West Ham in the cup. Especially against Fredericks..that was painful to watch...
Shaw has had a few games in the past few weeks that have been worse in the past few weeks than any game Telles has played so far to be fair.

romufc

The thing with Ole is we go into a new season saying okay, he has got a better squad, he will rotate.. From his first full season when he ran his players down to the ground, to last season.

This season is exactly the same again, he keeps picking the same players who do not perform.

I dont know what AWB, Shaw, Maguire need to do to get dropped. We are leaking goals, if its not the defence and its the forwards, why are the same forwards starting? Make some fecking changes.

I cannot bare to watch another game where Greenwood, Rashy, Bruno, Ronaldo, AWB are walking back.

Baneofthegame

I’d like to see some rotation for the Spurs game, start Sancho/Greenwood/Rashford up top.

::sonny::

He is credited with putting together this amazing squad yet he doesn't use most of it. So the reality is half the squad is useless or he's not using it correctly.
He uses the same 13/14 players, playing them even if they are not fit or injured

It’s not only a matter of tactics or others things

It has to be questioned about his IQ, or the are other things we don’t know

He should stay away from managing any team in general

Last edited: