• No - Give him more time

Votes: 449 13.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ten Hag signed a new deal at Ajax for 3 years. Can't find a salary but lets go for a reasonable expectation of £7m per season.

We'd have pay the contract out or some sort of compensation to Ajax, so lets say £20m. Then this offer you can't refuse - how much will that be? £10m per season? I wouldn't break contract midseason with a flying Ajax team to join a disjointed United for 30% pay rise. He could win more trophies with Ajax and wait for Pep to leave City.

Ten Hag won't leave midseason. To tempt him to come in May we'd be looking at a package in the region of £40m+ (compensation and new salary) plus whatever we need to pay Ole out - potentially another £20m+. That's your world class DM money, spent on a new manager with no guarantee of success - and if struggles to adapt his style to United within a season - I imagine fans will be calling for another sacking and for us to waste another £60m on compensation and new coaching salary etc.

More often than not, managerial merry go rounds are expensive failures.
If the manager is the right one it would be worth the financial hit. But I think we'll go for Conte or Zidane, two managers who are unemployed and super successful

Dr. StrangeHate

Even if the board has decided to sack ole they wont do it now because they'll want the new manager or the interim caretaker to have a soft landing. So they'll wait till our difficult fixtures are out the way by next month.
On the flip side any new manager will have zero expectations about the coming 5 matches and winning any of them might make their job easier going forward.

wise_old_man

Ten Hag signed a new deal at Ajax for 3 years. Can't find a salary but lets go for a reasonable expectation of £7m per season.

We'd have pay the contract out or some sort of compensation to Ajax, so lets say £20m. Then this offer you can't refuse - how much will that be? £10m per season? I wouldn't break contract midseason with a flying Ajax team to join a disjointed United for 30% pay rise. He could win more trophies with Ajax and wait for Pep to leave City.

Ten Hag won't leave midseason. To tempt him to come in May we'd be looking at a package in the region of £40m+ (compensation and new salary) plus whatever we need to pay Ole out - potentially another £20m+. That's your world class DM money, spent on a new manager with no guarantee of success - and if struggles to adapt his style to United within a season - I imagine fans will be calling for another sacking and for us to waste another £60m on compensation and new coaching salary etc.

More often than not, managerial merry go rounds are expensive failures.
Funny if we have to worry about bringing a right fit in just because he has a contract recently signed. We signed Harry Maguire from Leicester City when he has numerous years left in his contract (And even gave him the armband after that). We signed Fellaini from Everton AFTER his release clause expired (Jesus...). If we miss out on a good manager because we are scared of paying out his contract, our fans will be raging.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Funny if we have to worry about bringing a right fit in just because he has a contract recently signed. We signed Harry Maguire from Leicester City when he has numerous years left in his contract (And even gave him the armband after that). We signed Fellaini from Everton AFTER his release clause expired (Jesus...). If we miss out on a good manager because we are scared of paying out his contract, our fans will be raging.
Agreed. 20 million means nothing compared the benefit of signing a top class manager . Of course Ten Hag would have to actually prove to be that to be successful here.

InfiniteBoredom

I would be astounded if he is on anywhere even near that. Ajax are hardly paupers but even mid table PL managers only get 2-3m a year, and they all have more money than Ajax.

More reasonable expectation is about 10m in buy out fees, and that's if we have to pay all of the contract which is rare. Then whatever compensation for Ole and you are looking at 20-25m at worst, theres no fecking way we are such a bunch of idiots that the only way we can get rid of a manager is to pay out all of his remaining contract, was not the case for any manager before Ole.

Is 20m worth paying to get one of the best up and comers in coaching? Yes for me. Let's not forget there's opportunity cost with not doing anything. Our current manager is benching the 70m marquee signing he made just this last summer because he cant use him, is that not money down the drain if we persist?

izec

He is staying, gap to 4th place is too small. The board will back him to get top 4. Only after that increases significantly, we will sack him. So maybe in winter

James35

At the end of the day this club will deserve everything it gets if it keeps Ole at the wheel. Personally I just despair under his so clearly obvious lack of ability as a manager. We really are just a parody at this point.

My only hope is Ole resigns but I believe he is way too stubborn to do so. We are probably going to have to rely on other teams getting his position so untenable that the club have no choice, by then though our season might as well be finished. It is all rather depressing to be honest.

Some are only just coming to this realisation but others like myself have wanted him gone a very long time.

mark_a

The worry for me is still that those running the club don't seem to be football people. People who signed off on David Moyes, then made on-the-hoof decisions to get in VdG and Mourinho, seemingly with no plan. Then accidentally made the right call getting Ole in as caretaker. Even then they made him permanent for no good reason at all, they should have left him as caretaker appointing him at the start of the following season. He was the right man for turning the club around, and he has.

Whether it's time for Ole to go or not - we'll be relying on those who run the club to get the right man in. Who the hell is that? We shouldn't be digging around in the bin of "which managers aren't taken" for a manager to take us forward for the next few years. Our club sat by and didn't go for Pep or Klopp, drowning in hubris brought on by the success Sir Alex oversaw. We need to be sacking the Glazers first and foremost. Not football people, and even worse, just leeches on the club. Hats off to Ole for what he's achieved and for taking the heat on this, but what of his coaching staff? What are they doing? Which "tackling free" brand of football are they aiming at?

God help us. Really. Who the hell do we get? Who is out there who can take the highest pressure job in football? They won't get some of the free-passes that Klopp had or that Arteta has had. As we can see now, the pundits who often say "nobody should call for a manager to be sacked" are all doing just that! Pretty rich coming from the likes of G Nev, United legend and also laughable failure at management. Why doesn't Roy Keane get involved in coaching, a bollocking from Roy is clearly what this team needs!

Either way, clearing out Ole and the coaching staff is a total gamble and there isn't an obvious choice (or even a good choice?). And we can kick all the suggestions around here we want, and why not. But the club should be monitoring this stuff, they should have ideas. Just like we can kick around ideas of players to sign, but United's scouting system should be on the case. I don't have any faith that the club isn't badly run, that's self-evident by the decisions made over the last 8 or 9 years. This is just a debate over which manager we'll be sacking in 2 or 3 years after having failed again.

The realities of what is wrong need to be tackled now. Clue.. It's not Ole. It's who appointed Ole.

Lynty

I don't think we'd be put off by spending money. I'm just highlighting that its far more expensive to sack and hire managers than most fans think.

Plus, Ten Hag won't come mid season.

I would be astounded if he is on anywhere even near that. Ajax are hardly paupers but even mid table PL managers only get 2-3m a year, and they all have more money than Ajax.

More reasonable expectation is about 10m in buy out fees, and that's if we have to pay all of the contract which is rare. Then whatever compensation for Ole and you are looking at 20-25m at worst, theres no fecking way we are such a bunch of idiots that the only way we can get rid of a manager is to pay out all of his remaining contract, was not the case for any manager before Ole.

Is 20m worth paying to get one of the best up and comers in coaching? Yes for me. Let's not forget there's opportunity cost with not doing anything. Our current manager is benching the 70m marquee signing he made just this last summer because he cant use him, is that not money down the drain if we persist?
I agree. This isn't an argument for keeping Ole. More so an example of why offering managers 'offers they can't refuse' is bad practice.

I think Jose was compensated £20m with less time on his contract remaining and a worse league position. It's a pointless discussion to be honest without knowing the set targets, but I think we're in a tough position.

Conte or Zidane are the only real options. We could wait and see if Poch gets the sack. We could probably lure Luis Enrique away from Spain - as he's on a pittance (although he may prefer to go to the World Cup next year) or we write off the season, get a caretaker and find a new manager (possibly Ten Hag) in May.

I do think Ole needs to be sacked within the next two weeks.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Hes managed to build a very potent squad imo, but that there had to be the coup de grace surely?

I thought it would be smart to let him see the season out while the club scouted for a replacement, but as it stands now i fear it might actually be more damaging to keep him on than to sack him and appoint an interim

Paranoid Android

Hes managed to build a very potent squad imo, but that there had to be the coup de grace surely?

I thought it would be smart to let him see the season out while the club scouted for a replacement, but as it stands now i fear it might actually be more damaging to keep him on than to sack him and appoint an interim
As well as more horrific performances, we also risk other good candidates for Ole's replacement going elsewhere. Spurs will be looking for another manager soon I think, then you've got Barca. And there will be others. If we don't act quickly, we'll have missed out on another top managerial appointment again.

Robbie Boy

Buckle up for a long depressing season lads. Ole ain't going nowhere unfortunately. The sad thing is, if we beat a dog shite Spurs side next Saturday, the crazy gang on here will be beating his drum again.

Kinky Melinky

Keeping him on this early in the season would be a massive mistake in my opinion

red4ever 79

Is he really? If he's not sacked after yesterday another Atalanta like comeback against some shite side could buy him months again. We're doomed until the match going fans take a stand.
Thought they did that yesterday. The boos at half time and full time were very bad. The fans walking out at half time and when we went 5-0 down were extremely visible. When have fans ever left the ground at half time before. Shocking

Chipper

Adulterer.
How is it possible that the poll has 89% sack and 12.1% stay? 101%? What?
It's a multiple option poll for some strange reason so you can vote for both.

Let's say the question was "Which of the following colours do you like?"
Red
Blue
Green

All three could be on 80%.

BigRon1985

Buckle up for a long depressing season lads. Ole ain't going nowhere unfortunately. The sad thing is, if we beat a dog shite Spurs side next Saturday, the crazy gang on here will be beating his drum again.
Agree 100% - this squad is too good not to get a top 4 finish even with Coco the Clown in charge!

Anekdote

Call me a pessimist, but the next 4 games against Tottenham, City, Chelsea and Arsenal. I don’t see that this team will recover the motivation by next week. The last 10 games were all horrible. This bounce back bullsh*t, can’t hear this anymore.
For the next fixtures I see no hope of getting decent results.

The midfield general

Needs to go asap and bring someone in who can sort our defence and midfield out, We have got great attacking players but nothing to back them up.Next 4 league games Tottenham,Man City, Watford and Chelsea,how many points here guys I would say 3 at best, then have a look at the league table at the end of November’s it will be disastrous.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It doesn't even look like there is a murmur of him being replaced, other than the odd pundit saying "surely he has to go now".
Yep. That’s what suggests to me this is far from being close to done. There’s no Ducker/Ogden/Ornstein articles with rumbles of a sacking any time soon — the only thing we have had from those mentioned above was that Ole was actually safe! A few weeks ago.

Bondi77

Looking at Ole today walking from the pitch it reminded me of this clip from a few years ago and I wondered if similar thoughts were on his mind;

RedCheekz

It’s not nice for anybody lose their job but I really hoped after that embarrassing defeat to wake up today that ole had been sacked.

Jordan_mufc

As well as more horrific performances, we also risk other good candidates for Ole's replacement going elsewhere. Spurs will be looking for another manager soon I think, then you've got Barca. And there will be others. If we don't act quickly, we'll have missed out on another top managerial appointment again.
I think the opposite, I think if you sack him now then you have less options to choose from in the Summer. Essentially exactly what happened with Mourinho's sacking.

If we wait until the summer we probably have our pick of quite a few top managers. Ten Haag as an example.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I think the opposite, I think if you sack him now then you have less options to choose from in the Summer. Essentially exactly what happened with Mourinho's sacking.

If we wait until the summer we probably have our pick of quite a few top managers. Ten Haag as an example.
But if we wait till summer then we might not have CL next season

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Not at all. I just think sacking another manager is a massive step backwards and all the ground work done in the last four years gets undone in an instant.
Yes just like Chelsea sacked Lampard and undid all his good work and only have CL and 1st position in league to show for.

sparx99

Even if he somehow manages to win any of the cups I want him gone.
Oh for sure. He should be gone already. He should have walked down the tunnel at halftime and straight out of the fire exit never to be seen again. The performances all season have been shambolic. This is the 2nd or 3rd season in a row when we have looked like a relegation candidate in the early part of the season.

I've been supportive at times of Ole when any of the numerous corners have been turned. But at some point, you cant keep needing turnarounds, comebacks, and job-saving results to keep you in your position.

Status
Not open for further replies.