Votes: 3,004 87.8%
  • No - Give him more time

Votes: 449 13.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparx99

It’s too late for Ole to fix this but I don’t get what we are trying to do out of possession. Either they are trying to press and doing it horribly or they aren’t trying to press but they also aren’t dropping into a low block.

Simplify it and just get everyone deep when we lose the ball. It doesn’t mean we play pure counter attack football. In possession we can try to counter attack but if that fails you keep the ball and camp in their half.

It just seems like half the team are dropping deep and half are counter pressing. It all just looks wrong.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Club aren't even briefing...just silence.
They want to ride it out. The man is going nowhere.

Sure but nobody has done more than Jose amongst all the managers that were mentioned (Zidane the exception but he has had a set of much better players still getting dodgy ref decisions in the CL and being spanked by Barca in the league) and the Caf still wanted his head. The point is the right fit not the manager with a stellar CV as both Jose and LVG flopped at United.

I get the frustration and you can have the last comment but I don't think the CAF or 99% of United fans can pin point who the proper manager for the job is at this stage. I certainly don't know.
No-one can ever pin point a certainty man, if that’s what you’re looking for you’ll be looking forever. No-one had Tuchel as a certain success for Chelsea.

Ajax went through 4 managers in 2 years after a few years in the league wilderness, before finally hitting jackpot with Ten Hag. The idea you “stick” with any manager because no-one else is certain is what has us in this mess.

As for Mourinho, best CV of all 4 post SAF managers, managed a EL and League Cup in his first season, managed our best league points total by some distance in his second season, them lost his shit and his head at changes in transfer policy. Second best CV (LVG) also won the FA Cup. If anything they are proof that the better the Cv, the more chance of success, even for a managars that we’ve since confirmed has seen their best days behind them.

largelyworried

It doesn't even look like there is a murmur of him being replaced, other than the odd pundit saying "surely he has to go now".

Gary Neville calling for the club to be 'brave' is bizarre at this point. It would make sense if he was new and needed time, but he's had several transfer windows and enormous backing, and despite a fair amount of progress last season, albeit some ups and downs, there has been clear backward motion pretty much since the Leeds game.

Things aren't going to magically get better just by keeping him, nor are we going to start looking like an organised team. If Ole doesn't have a plan now, then why would he all of a sudden have one in a months time, or 3 months, or however long they want to keep this going?
To be honest, even if he doesn't go right now, he's a dead man walking. I think everyone knows he doesn't have it in him to challenge Klopp, Pep and Tuchel at the top. Yesterday made a mockery of any arguments that he was building up to something good. If he stays in post then of course United will hit a bit of form eventually, teams always do. But everyone will know that he doesnt have what it takes. Once you're in that position, its only a matter of time.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Pretty sure he's getting sacked today or tommorow.
Just a feeling? No noise coming out of the club and it feels hopeless. Can't see him getting sacked while we're still in the CL. The board will write this season off

big_jeffstar

I refuse to believe it’s this difficult.. we’re talking about Manchester United trying to find a manager.. here’s a thought, maybe we should act like the rest of the premier league.. look at the top managers in world football, wether they’re available or not.. which teams do you want to emulate? If you like the look of Ajax, and that’s how you want your team to play football.. then approach the manager and make him an offer he can’t refuse.. give him everything he needs to be successful, and emulate his style of play at your club but with better players… we have literally never done that, and I don’t understand why.. west fecking brom did it with the Barnsley manager and he brought his entire back room staff and the captain with him…Man City were preparing for Pep long before he even came… this isn’t rocket science, we just seem to bounce from one terrible idea to another
For once, I’d just like to see us making changes structurally to allow the next “project” to succeed, an actual plan in place to help the team long term..
I think we’re far too reactive with what happens that week on the pitch tbh..
ps sticking by Ole is not a long term plan.. it’s just hoping he somehow gets them playing good football, nobody knows what his style of play is, not even the players

Reactions: Cheimoon

red4ever 79

Just a feeling? No noise coming out of the club and it feels hopeless. Can't see him getting sacked while we're still in the CL. The board will write this season off
I dont think so. The difference and I said this when we signed him is Ronaldo. There is no way he accepts writing a season off and such is his presence, I would bet Ed has already consulted with him. Change is coming soon I believe in it!

Bratt

There wasn’t any leaks when Mourinho was let go either, was there?
And the official statement when he was fired was 10:46AM, so it’s still time for this to happen today.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Got a BBC Sport notification on my phone at 09:02. Got excited.

It was about Ben Stokes..... :( (Incidentally, i'd take Stokes as our next manager)

Delano

The problem is, we talk about the right fit, and Ole clearly isn't. At any competent club getting destroyed 5-0 by your biggest rivals and being played off the park would suffice. Add to the fact we have 9 (mostly last minute) wins in 21 and it's laughable.

Unfortunately, I'm 99% positive we have done absolutely zero planning to identify the right fit moving forward. Woodward is still here for some unknown reason, the Technical director is Oles mate, and we have an obsession with allowing situations to get worse and worse. Its unacceptable.

sparx99

Sure but nobody has done more than Jose amongst all the managers that were mentioned (Zidane the exception but he has had a set of much better players still getting dodgy ref decisions in the CL and being spanked by Barca in the league) and the Caf still wanted his head. The point is the right fit not the manager with a stellar CV as both Jose and LVG flopped at United.

I get the frustration and you can have the last comment but I don't think the CAF or 99% of United fans can pin point who the proper manager for the job is at this stage. I certainly don't know.
Even when he was at his peak a lot Utd fans didn’t want Jose. Similarly to how a lot of us don’t want Conte. Combustible characters and negative football. Yes they win things and that’s good. But it’s a miserable journey most of the way.

Clearly if you could clone Klopp or Guardiola then you’d want them. An attacking manager who also wins things. That’s why a lot of fans are pointing to Ten Hag. He has a good record with Ajax, was an assistant coach to Guardiola and has shown he can get a lot of players who you wouldn’t expect it of. Not to mention Ajax feels a good cultural simile to Utd. A giant in their division with big expectations but also a commitment to attacking football and youth development.

Nagelsmann before the Bayern move was obviously an up and coming coach.

I also think people need to accept that we may hire someone and it doesn’t work out. Maybe Zidane comes in as caretaker until the end of the season and we don’t look like title challengers. We might have to sack a couple of managers in quick succession before landing on the right one.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
There wasn’t any leaks when Mourinho was let go either, was there?
And the official statement when he was fired was 10:46AM, so it’s still time for this to happen today.
My memory of Jose's sacking is hazy but it kinda came out of the blue. So in that sense, the silence around the club right now is as condemning for Ole as anything else. If the board were firmly behind him, they would have released a statement confirming as much like they did last week.

There is no conceivable way Ole can still be in a job after yesterday's debacle.

Rooney24

Im now of the opinion that Ole is actually most likely the worst manager in the entire PL.

Maybe with the exception of the Norwich manager I would probably take every other manager ahead of him. Thats not to say I think every other manager in the league is capable of managing United, but just that they are probably better than him.

Yesterdays result has been on the cards for quite a while. Its actually incredible he's still in the role.

Shark

@NotShark
To be honest, even if he doesn't go right now, he's a dead man walking. I think everyone knows he doesn't have it in him to challenge Klopp, Pep and Tuchel at the top. Yesterday made a mockery of any arguments that he was building up to something good. If he stays in post then of course United will hit a bit of form eventually, teams always do. But everyone will know that he doesnt have what it takes. Once you're in that position, its only a matter of time.
Is he really? If he's not sacked after yesterday another Atalanta like comeback against some shite side could buy him months again. We're doomed until the match going fans take a stand.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It is a vicious circle. They give him time, he will get a couple of wins, everything is great again. Then lo and behold we hit a slump, usually caused by his mistakes as a manager, then the calls for his head start again. He does just enough to keep his job, that is what he is bothered about, keeping his job. He is destroying these players careers.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
My memory of Jose's sacking is hazy but it kinda came out of the blue. So in that sense, the silence around the club right now is as condemning for Ole as anything else. If the board were firmly behind him, they would have released a statement confirming as much like they did last week.

There is no conceivable way Ole can still be in a job after yesterday's debacle.
That number of fans walking out yesterday, must have made some impact on the board, the booing. We have a massive fan base, who they need to keep onside.

wise_old_man

I say we ditch the whole "getting behind your manager" sentimentality and look at the future managers with a purely merit-based perspective. Let's say we don't have the right fit now, but still manager A, B, C...etc who are better than Ole. Then bring them in, because they are better than Ole.

In around 6 months or 1 year, we ditch whoever that stopgap man is if we manage to find a better right fit. City fired Pellegrini despite his Premier League win because they saw Pep Guardiola became available. Liverpool ditched Rodgers because Klopp became available. Let's go with whoever manager (Call him A) if he's better than Ole. We will ditch him later when manager S (Whoever "right fit" you mentioned) becomes available.

Cut the "backing your manager at all costs" sentimentality. It should be the manager serving the team, not vice versa.

Reactions: Sultan

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Im now of the opinion that Ole is actually most likely the worst manager in the entire PL.

Maybe with the exception of the Norwich manager I would probably take every other manager ahead of him. Thats not to say I think every other manager in the league is capable of managing United, but just that they are probably better than him.

Yesterdays result has been on the cards for quite a while. Its actually incredible he's still in the role.
Solskjaer could never play great football with Norwich in the Championship and get two promotions.

Solskjaer is the worst coach!!!!

pascell

How many of those are oppo fans though?
Is there even 260 oppo fans on here? I'd say 100-150 are probably oppo fans, the rest are deluded 'Ole In' crowd that are going to die on their sword until he's sacked. Even then when we lose under the next manager, they'll tell us we wouldn't have lost that game under Ole.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
That number of fans walking out yesterday, must have made some impact on the board, the booing. We have a massive fan base, who they need to keep onside.
Yeah, that's true. I've never seen anything like that at OT before, certainly not against Liverpool anyway.

Chairman Steve

Is there even 260 oppo fans on here? I'd say 100-150 are probably oppo fans, the rest are deluded 'Ole In' crowd that are going to die on their sword until he's sacked. Even then when we lose under the next manager, they'll tell us we wouldn't have lost that game under Ole.
Can newbies vote? Can conceivably see a bunch of oppo fans sign up to vote and skew the vote to troll.

scorgasm

Last Man Standing champion 2020/21
Awful, gutless performance with the only silver linen being that Liverpool took their foot off the gas after the red card.

It was the first time I've been in the ground that those around me wanted a change in manager and were vocal about it. There was some defiance with singing bouncing busby babes for the last 20 minutes but the mood definitely felt it had changed and rightly so. After almost three years to have no clear plan or style of play is nothing short of negligent. I would have loved it to work, but it hasn't and we need someone with the bollocks to make that call.

Eddy_JukeZ

He's not going anywhere this season.

I would be amazed if we did the right thing for once and sacked a coach very early to salvage the season.

padzilla

Hipster
Why aren't there stories appearing on BBC, Sky Sports, The Guardian etc saying Manchester United not commenting on Ole's future at the very least. Is it because they are afraid to ask the question everyone is asking in case it interferes with nice and cozy access to players etc?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
We lost 3 points and the 5-0 loss will hurt our egos for a long time. However, if this result changes the mindset of those in charge then a loss can be a win going forward.

norm87cro

I say we ditch the whole "getting behind your manager" sentimentality and look at the future managers with a purely merit-based perspective. Let's say we don't have the right fit now, but still manager A, B, C...etc who are better than Ole. Then bring them in, because they are better than Ole.

In around 6 months or 1 year, we ditch whoever that stopgap man is if we manage to find a better right fit. City fired Pellegrini despite his Premier League win because they saw Pep Guardiola became available. Liverpool ditched Rodgers because Klopp became available. Let's go with whoever manager (Call him A) if he's better than Ole. We will ditch him later when manager S (Whoever "right fit" you mentioned) becomes available.

Cut the "backing your manager at all costs" sentimentality. It should be the manager serving the team, not vice versa.
That is a good argument and despite our current form I reckon the squad is in a good shape ( except Fred and Lindelof). But it begs the question of a general director if the manager is just a tool and not the central figure of the clubs success or the lack of it.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think there's 3 scenarios we will take:

1) Zidane on a 2 year deal. He can focus on winning now, and move on to his France national dreams or Juve after that.
2) Blanc on caretaker (he should have been caretaker post-Mourinho for me). Good coach and more likely to get us playing as an organized unit and stay competitive and in the top 4. Then in the summer we can bring Ten Hag or similar out of their clubs.
3) Stick it out with Ole too long and plausibly fall out of top 4 by seasons end. 3 teams above us comfortably with Leicester, the side 90 mins away from placing us 5th a couple seasons ago, looking settled and welcome back some injured players.

I'd be fine with Option 1 or 2!
Blanc on a caretaker basis would be a good option if Ten Hag wants to wait til summer

Lynty

I refuse to believe it’s this difficult.. we’re talking about Manchester United trying to find a manager.. here’s a thought, maybe we should act like the rest of the premier league.. look at the top managers in world football, wether they’re available or not.. which teams do you want to emulate? If you like the look of Ajax, and that’s how you want your team to play football.. then approach the manager and make him an offer he can’t refuse.. give him everything he needs to be successful, and emulate his style of play at your club but with better players… we have literally never done that, and I don’t understand why.. west fecking brom did it with the Barnsley manager and he brought his entire back room staff and the captain with him…Man City were preparing for Pep long before he even came… this isn’t rocket science, we just seem to bounce from one terrible idea to another
For once, I’d just like to see us making changes structurally to allow the next “project” to succeed, an actual plan in place to help the team long term..
I think we’re far too reactive with what happens that week on the pitch tbh..
ps sticking by Ole is not a long term plan.. it’s just hoping he somehow gets them playing good football, nobody knows what his style of play is, not even the players
Ten Hag signed a new deal at Ajax for 3 years. Can't find a salary but lets go for a reasonable expectation of £7m per season.

We'd have pay the contract out or some sort of compensation to Ajax, so lets say £20m. Then this offer you can't refuse - how much will that be? £10m per season? I wouldn't break contract midseason with a flying Ajax team to join a disjointed United for 30% pay rise. He could win more trophies with Ajax and wait for Pep to leave City.

Ten Hag won't leave midseason. To tempt him to come in May we'd be looking at a package in the region of £40m+ (compensation and new salary) plus whatever we need to pay Ole out - potentially another £20m+. That's your world class DM money, spent on a new manager with no guarantee of success - and if struggles to adapt his style to United within a season - I imagine fans will be calling for another sacking and for us to waste another £60m on compensation and new coaching salary etc.

More often than not, managerial merry go rounds are expensive failures.

RedDevilRoshi

Been complete radio silence from the club this morning as usually you’d get an app notification or two or an e-mail by now about some random article to read or to spend some money on the club online shop.

Club definitely riding out the storm.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The problem is, we talk about the right fit, and Ole clearly isn't. At any competent club getting destroyed 5-0 by your biggest rivals and being played off the park would suffice. Add to the fact we have 9 (mostly last minute) wins in 21 and it's laughable.

Unfortunately, I'm 99% positive we have done absolutely zero planning to identify the right fit moving forward. Woodward is still here for some unknown reason, the Technical director is Oles mate, and we have an obsession with allowing situations to get worse and worse. Its unacceptable.
Absolutely

And the next guy we hire will not be well thought out but just the most accomplished one they can get their hands on. So we can only hope that he fits us well and ends up successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.