Ole will be in attendance for the game against Wolves tomorrow

GeordieRed

He said that Ratcliff had tried to get him involved at Nice? When?

Furthermore, that he did not believe Ratcliff is a good fit for Man Utd? Quite a statement!

Does anyone have any more info on this? The quotes?
He didn’t clarify when the Nice thing was floated; and his comment about SJR bid was about it only being for 51% rather than him not being a fit. He didn’t mention Qatar and annoyingly the interviewer didn’t press him a little more about the takeover

Gavinb33

Can anyone remember his debut ? From memory it was 2-2, at ot and he scored twice?

My memory may have just made this up.
Blackburn it was 2-2

He didn’t clarify when the Nice thing was floated; and his comment about SJR bid was about it only being for 51% rather than him not being a fit. He didn’t mention Qatar and annoyingly the interviewer didn’t press him a little more about the takeover
It wasn't a press interview he did a q&a with fans at the Lowry last night

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
When ole first joined us he asked for 4m to sign a striker from his team molde. Turns out that striker was Haaland. An example of our owners bein a joke! 4m on a striker that’s now worth over 100m. Missed an opportunity there.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
When ole first joined us he asked for 4m to sign a striker from his team molde. Turns out that striker was Haaland. An example of our owners bein a joke! 4m on a striker that’s now worth over 100m. Missed an opportunity there.
I wouldn't take it as a given that he would've made it here. Haaland was smart about his development by choosing to gradually increase the level of difficulty he played against and he ensured he played regular football. Something which he may not have got here.

Moreover, it doesn't mean Ole had a great for talent, after all he got many transfers wrong.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Well, he’ll always get a hero’s welcome anyway but that’s one way to make it a bit louder. Mourinho, LVG and Rangnick have all said the same in their own ways though along with numerous former players. You can almost forgive the current lot and even ETH for heading the same way. The virus was not Pogba, it’s always been the Glazers.

Eriku

He’s got a cheek

Eh? No more supportive of the Glazers than Fergie was when he ran the shop.

Also forgetting that when the Glazers first took over he was the ONLY active player to speak out, and was made a patron of MUST for it.

United Hobbit

I'd rather he came on than WW, he can probably still finish better despite his dodgy knee!

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Solskjaer was sacked in November 2021 after a run of defeats that made it clear, almost three years into the job, that there was still a long way to go before United could justifiably see themselves as title challengers.

One of those games was a 5-0 home defeat to Liverpool and it was fascinating, 18 months on, to hear Solskjaer’s appraisal of what went wrong.

His usual tactic would have been to try to spring Liverpool on the counter-attack. That ploy, he said, had helped United overcome City a couple of times. For Solskjaer, it was important to make United, in his words, the best counter-attacking team in the world.

“In the end, though, there comes a point where you think, ‘OK, let’s see if we can really challenge them (Liverpool)… let’s go toe to toe.’ Maybe that was my mistake. But if you sit back when you’re playing at home, you’re not really a Man United team. So it was, ‘OK, lads, let’s see what you’ve got.’ At half-time, it was 50-50 for possession and chances. But they had scored four and we hadn’t.”
Maybe, in hindsight, it would have helped if United had not dismissed Solskjaer’s advice while he was the manager of Molde in Norway and trying to persuade his former club that the teenage Haaland could become one of the world’s greatest strikers.
Jose Mourinho was the manager at Old Trafford at the time. Ed Woodward was the chief executive and, for reasons unexplained, United chose against signing the player who has now smashed all sorts of scoring records for City this season and could conceivably win the Ballon d’Or.

“I got in contact with United because we had this talented striker who they should have had,” said Solskjaer. “But they didn’t listen, unfortunately. Four million, I asked for. But they never signed him. Four million! Don’t ask (where he is now). He’s too good…”
It probably sums up Solskjaer’s popularity with United’s supporters that one member of the audience called out to ask whether the man on stage, visibly moved by his reception, had enough money to launch his own takeover. Solskjaer politely pointed out that he did not have the necessary funds.

Instead, he sees himself returning to the game as a manager despite admitting that there were parts of modern-day football that he found difficult to embrace.

“My best mate’s daughter said to me a few weeks ago, ‘You’ve got quite a lot of hair for a man your age’,” said Solskjaer, now 50. “I didn’t know if it was a compliment or if she was having a go at me. At least I’ve got some. It’s greying, but that’s just the players. Managing players — it’s horrendous.”

Solskjaer did, however, have some issues with first-team players and he made the point that dressing-room attitudes had changed for the worse, as far as he was concerned, since he was part of a United team that won the Premier League as a matter of habit.

“The lads in that dressing room were absolutely fantastic. Keano was the leader, the one everyone looked up to. David May was the joker, the clown. Gary (Neville) is still the busiest and was the busiest back then as well. Nicky (Butt) and Giggsy (Ryan Giggs) were the entertainers.
“It was just a fantastic dressing room. Winners, who hated losing. They had a few fights, like you should do, after bad games. You had to shake each other up.

“If you do that to the boys now, they will get their dad, or their mum, or their agents… snowflakes. Not many of today’s lot would have survived in that dressing room.”
As for his first game back at Old Trafford, it sounds like he wants to keep a low profile. It is unlikely there will be any interviews. Solskjaer is living back in Norway and it might be a while before he returns again. “I’m clever enough to stay away,” he said. “It’s difficult enough to be the manager of Manchester United without the ex-managers trying to give you advice.”

All of which brought him to the apology he received from Ferguson for appearing to question one of Solskjaer’s team selections. “That’s the one time Sir Alex has ever apologised to me. He was caught on a video saying, ‘You should always play your best players,’ after Ronaldo started on the bench for one game. He (Ferguson) rang me and apologised because he knows how difficult it is.”
Solskjaer also talked favourably about Richard Arnold, United’s chief executive, adding that “it’s about getting the people above him to do what’s needed for the club”. Plus, there was a special mention for Michael Carrick now he is managing Middlesbrough in the Championship play-offs. Carrick was previously Solskjaer’s assistant at Old Trafford and warranted high praise.

“I mean this with my whole heart: I’m sure he will be the manager of Manchester United one day,” said Solskjaer. “Michael is class, from top to bottom. Integrity, loyalty, respect, knowledge; he’s got absolutely everything. I hope we do well with Erik, really hope so, and when he goes that Michael has had enough years for the club to say, ‘Come back, Michael, because we need you’.”

But Solskjaer has not finished with management. “I’ve got another job in me, if it’s the right chance and exciting enough. There are so many clubs, but I’m not going to work just for the sake of working. It has to be something special, a new culture, or a club that really excites me. Or maybe they will want me back at the club (United) in some capacity, who knows?”

Eh? No more supportive of the Glazers than Fergie was when he ran the shop.

Also forgetting that when the Glazers first took over he was the ONLY active player to speak out, and was made a patron of MUST for it.
I doubt most people would publically speak out against their boss. Especially if you're in your dream job.
There was so reason for him to undermine the fans that wanted to protest against them.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There was so reason for him to undermine the fans that wanted to protest against them.
The last pic has nothing to do with protests. iIRC it was during preseason and about players abuse on social media or negative attention on Twitter. He even praised fans in the very same answer and then had a go at "Twitter fans".

Cloud7

Is there any context to this quote? Not that I disagree with him about most of them anyway

JustinC00

Maybe, in hindsight, it would have helped if United had not dismissed Solskjaer’s advice while he was the manager of Molde in Norway and trying to persuade his former club that the teenage Haaland could become one of the world’s greatest strikers.
Jose Mourinho was the manager at Old Trafford at the time. Ed Woodward was the chief executive and, for reasons unexplained, United chose against signing the player who has now smashed all sorts of scoring records for City this season and could conceivably win the Ballon d’Or.

“I got in contact with United because we had this talented striker who they should have had,” said Solskjaer. “But they didn’t listen, unfortunately. Four million, I asked for. But they never signed him. Four million! Don’t ask (where he is now). He’s too good.

Not sure what he is on about. Haaland was never coming here because of his dad

JustinC00

Hopefully we don't revert to the home form we were under him. ETH already has more home wins in the league than OGS had in either of his 2 full seasons and there is 2 more home matches after this

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Imagine if the Glazers answered back saying that there would have been money for the stadium if former managers were less busy spending tens of millions on championship level players and more time in actually winning trophies

Eriku

As was pointed out, the last pic wasn’t him saying that all people wanting Glazers out were bad fans, or anything like that.

If Ole’s not allowed to speak out, who is? When he sided with MUST against the Glazers he was told by the club that he’s not allowed to comment further on that matter. Him and Cantona were the only ones to pipe up, as I recall. Don’t really see cause for eyerolling just because he had to be more diplomatic whilst they were his employer.

Ted Lasso

Solskjaer was sacked in November 2021 after a run of defeats that made it clear, almost three years into the job, that there was still a long way to go before United could justifiably see themselves as title challengers.

One of those games was a 5-0 home defeat to Liverpool and it was fascinating, 18 months on, to hear Solskjaer’s appraisal of what went wrong.

His usual tactic would have been to try to spring Liverpool on the counter-attack. That ploy, he said, had helped United overcome City a couple of times. For Solskjaer, it was important to make United, in his words, the best counter-attacking team in the world.

“In the end, though, there comes a point where you think, ‘OK, let’s see if we can really challenge them (Liverpool)… let’s go toe to toe.’ Maybe that was my mistake. But if you sit back when you’re playing at home, you’re not really a Man United team. So it was, ‘OK, lads, let’s see what you’ve got.’ At half-time, it was 50-50 for possession and chances. But they had scored four and we hadn’t.”

“I got in contact with United because we had this talented striker who they should have had,” said Solskjaer. “But they didn’t listen, unfortunately. Four million, I asked for. But they never signed him. Four million! Don’t ask (where he is now). He’s too good…”
It probably sums up Solskjaer’s popularity with United’s supporters that one member of the audience called out to ask whether the man on stage, visibly moved by his reception, had enough money to launch his own takeover. Solskjaer politely pointed out that he did not have the necessary funds.

Instead, he sees himself returning to the game as a manager despite admitting that there were parts of modern-day football that he found difficult to embrace.

“My best mate’s daughter said to me a few weeks ago, ‘You’ve got quite a lot of hair for a man your age’,” said Solskjaer, now 50. “I didn’t know if it was a compliment or if she was having a go at me. At least I’ve got some. It’s greying, but that’s just the players. Managing players — it’s horrendous.”

Solskjaer did, however, have some issues with first-team players and he made the point that dressing-room attitudes had changed for the worse, as far as he was concerned, since he was part of a United team that won the Premier League as a matter of habit.

“The lads in that dressing room were absolutely fantastic. Keano was the leader, the one everyone looked up to. David May was the joker, the clown. Gary (Neville) is still the busiest and was the busiest back then as well. Nicky (Butt) and Giggsy (Ryan Giggs) were the entertainers.
“It was just a fantastic dressing room. Winners, who hated losing. They had a few fights, like you should do, after bad games. You had to shake each other up.

“If you do that to the boys now, they will get their dad, or their mum, or their agents… snowflakes. Not many of today’s lot would have survived in that dressing room.”
As for his first game back at Old Trafford, it sounds like he wants to keep a low profile. It is unlikely there will be any interviews. Solskjaer is living back in Norway and it might be a while before he returns again. “I’m clever enough to stay away,” he said. “It’s difficult enough to be the manager of Manchester United without the ex-managers trying to give you advice.”

All of which brought him to the apology he received from Ferguson for appearing to question one of Solskjaer’s team selections. “That’s the one time Sir Alex has ever apologised to me. He was caught on a video saying, ‘You should always play your best players,’ after Ronaldo started on the bench for one game. He (Ferguson) rang me and apologised because he knows how difficult it is.”
Solskjaer also talked favourably about Richard Arnold, United’s chief executive, adding that “it’s about getting the people above him to do what’s needed for the club”. Plus, there was a special mention for Michael Carrick now he is managing Middlesbrough in the Championship play-offs. Carrick was previously Solskjaer’s assistant at Old Trafford and warranted high praise.

“I mean this with my whole heart: I’m sure he will be the manager of Manchester United one day,” said Solskjaer. “Michael is class, from top to bottom. Integrity, loyalty, respect, knowledge; he’s got absolutely everything. I hope we do well with Erik, really hope so, and when he goes that Michael has had enough years for the club to say, ‘Come back, Michael, because we need you’.”

But Solskjaer has not finished with management. “I’ve got another job in me, if it’s the right chance and exciting enough. There are so many clubs, but I’m not going to work just for the sake of working. It has to be something special, a new culture, or a club that really excites me. Or maybe they will want me back at the club (United) in some capacity, who knows?”
Gosh I miss the guy around Old Trafford. Don't think he was necessarily the best long term solution for us, but my goodness if we had moved him up into DOF type roles after his interim stint I think we would have seen some good things. But heck, who knows if he'd have actually have taken it. Managing us full time a number of seasons and getting to a EL final may still rank higher for him than such a role

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ole is saying that when he was Molde manager, he offered United the chance to sign Haaland for 4m.

But remember we had Mourinho in charge at the time, so Haaland going to Salzburg instead was a much better decision for his development.

Skills

Snitch
Ironic he's on about characters and snowflakes considering this is the man who was in charge of the cultural reset which put us further behind than any of his predecessors bar Moyes.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
As a player and Manager he always did his best for United. Anyone soured to him by the events of a couple of years ago needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

AlPistacho

This will be hard for people to hear because as a footballer he’s a legend of the club etc. But his personality type has always been syncopantic.

LordSpud

Ultimately the players stopped playing for him and for me that is the worrying thing about the future - that they could all just down tools for whoever is the manager (not just ETH)

Fully Fledged

Ultimately the players stopped playing for him and for me that is the worrying thing about the future - that they could all just down tools for whoever is the manager (not just ETH)
That's why we need to back a manager long term. Let him get rid of all the bad actors in the squad and take time rebuilding a squad that know downing tools wont end in their favour.