Ole will be in attendance for the game against Wolves tomorrow

alexanderplatz

After the misery of lvg and mourinho’s football I at least enjoyed watching games again under Ole. It was never going to work out long term but there were some enjoyable matches during his time in charge. The 2-0 win v city before lockdown was a personal highlight and of course PSG too.
Football aside, it’s important to respect people who come and give their all. Ole is always welcome at OT

el3mel

Again, I wasn’t making that comment based on one post
No one hates the guy personally. "Hating" as a word is ridiculous anyway. None of us had a direct personal contact with him to love or hate him. Our perception of him is based solely on what we have seen from him both as a player and a manager.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
No one hates the guy personally. "Hating" as a word is ridiculous anyway. None of us had a direct personal contact with him to love or hate him. Our perception of him is based solely on what we have seen from him both as a player and a manager.
“Hating on..” is a phrase meaning giving grief

I don’t think it’s the same as “hating” someone

I mean how could anyone hate Ole?

Ronaldo's Love Child

I'm not even sure OGS was leading our training. He was a paper manager and a poor one at that.

We are three years behind on our journey because his ego led him to believe he was good enough when NOTHING on his CV indicated he was.

He was appointed manager based on emotion and sentiment.

The choice to award him the full time job ahead of schedule is indicative of the woefully poor management of the club from the very top.

He was a legendary player but a poor manager.

Chairman Steve

A good player with legendary status. A dinosaur of a manager who hit one of the purplest of purple patches in his first dozen games to land the job full time (assisted by the fact Woodward is an absolute imbecile and PSG fecked up big time) and owes a lot of his tenure to Bruno carrying us on his back.

I have more issue with his zealots on here more than him, and how they would berate anyone who had plausible doubts whether the way we played was sustainable long term.

e.g. typical post match thread:
’I‘m glad we won, but the other team really could have beaten us or drawn on another day. This happens way too often as well. I’m not sure he’s a long term solution.’
’Shut the feck up we won didn’t we? Stop complaining and get out of here with your anti-Ole agenda’

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

He was also the one who fecked on a holiday to Norway when things got tough, who had a proper meltdown when RVP criticised him and who had the old guard closing ranks around him at every single turn.
I wouldn't say this in any way resembles a meltdown... would you?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
You sure could've fooled us.
Indeed, it was clear some resented him being Manager from Day 1 and attacked him over and over. The same that complain that he was an awful Manager, when it's clear he wasn't, we had very good runs of form under Ole and got close to winning trophies, simply couldn't push us over the finishing line.

glasgow 21

Club legend.....only wanted 4mil for Haaland.
The timing of this is for what purpose ? Look at me I knew better ? What he really should have done is name and shame the incompetent persons who spoke to him if they are still there. Or better still, wait until the new owners are on board and then let it rip. The story of that this weekend was poor to say the least. Anyhows he had plenty of opportunity to get Haaland to United if indeed anyone could as the bottom line is he was never ever coming to United as long as Alfie Haaland was his father.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Indeed, it was clear some resented him being Manager from Day 1 and attacked him over and over. The same that complain that he was an awful Manager, when it's clear he wasn't, we had very good runs of form under Ole and got close to winning trophies, simply couldn't push us over the finishing line.
Agreed. The way some of our fans still overegg/fabricate negative stories surrounding Ole's tenure is baffling to me. It's almost as if they haven't fully recovered from the trauma of finishing 3rd and 2nd in his two full seasons in charge.

Devil You Know

He got 2nd and 3rd with team that had Maguire, Lindelof, McTominay, Fred, Dan James, Martial, Lingard, Pereira, Brandon Williams all as relatively regular players. Not even Klopp or Guardiola could have done that.

Ole was clearly an above average manager. Probably even a very good one. Just not elite. And in no way did "set back United by 3 seasons". That's obvious nonsense. He kept the club moving up the table and changed our reputation to the extent that Ronaldo wanted to join (Ronaldo even said that our 2nd place finish was what convinced him to pick us over City). That obviously turned out to be a bad decision for the club in hindsight, but it still shows that Solksjaer did a good job in rehabilitating our image amongst players and agents.

The final 2 months of his reign were a disaster though. No getting away from that. His last 7 league games were W1 D1 L5. He deserved to go for that. But what came before was actually quite good and easily the most enjoyable football we've played post-Fergie.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He got 2nd and 3rd with team that had Maguire, Lindelof, McTominay, Fred, Dan James, Martial, Lingard, Pereira, Brandon Williams all as relatively regular players. Not even Klopp or Guardiola could have done that.

Ole was clearly an above average manager. Probably even a very good one. Just not elite. And in no way did "set back United by 3 seasons". That's obvious nonsense. He kept the club moving up the table and changed our reputation to the extent that Ronaldo wanted to join (Ronaldo even said that our 2nd place finish was what convinced him to pick us over City). That obviously turned out to be a bad decision for the club in hindsight, but it still shows that Solksjaer did a good job in rehabilitating our image amongst players and agents.

The final 2 months of his reign were a disaster though. No getting away from that. His last 7 league games were W1 D1 L5. He deserved to go for that. But what came before was actually quite good and easily the most enjoyable football we've played post-Fergie.
Then let's see where he ends up after us.

justsomebloke

I don't think he was a poor manager - we enjoyed two good seasons under him. But he wasn't the man to take us to the top. The squad he built wasn't good enough, and the style and method he relied on wasn't sustainable. On top of which he got the whole destabilising Ronaldo mess, which he couldn't handle (in fairness, no one else really could either). Then the belief goes, and that's that. But it's not like this was a particularly dark period of the last decade - for most of it, we were better than we've been for most of the time since SAF left.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Then let's see where he ends up after us.
Where he ends up has nothing to do with the job he did at ManUtd. Lampard ended up at Chelsea after Everton, doesn't mean he was good manager or did good job. De Boer after the shit job he did at Inter got Palace job, when he did even worse job he got Netherlands job.

roonster09

Scout
The same ones who worshipped Jose, or most of them.

roonster09

Scout
I don't think he was a poor manager - we enjoyed two good seasons under him. But he wasn't the man to take us to the top. The squad he built wasn't good enough, and the style and method he relied on wasn't sustainable. On top of which he got the whole destabilising Ronaldo mess, which he couldn't handle (in fairness, no one else really could either). Then the belief goes, and that's that. But it's not like this was a particularly dark period of the last decade - for most of it, we were better than we've been for most of the time since SAF left.
Yeah, we had good times and bad times with Ole as manager. There were many games where we scored lot of goals and football was good to watch but it wasn't sustainable as we didn't have a clear style of play and left behind tactically. It was much better than how we played under previous managers where we were just praying to have a shot on target.

There was too much randomness in our player, which resulted in some amazing games and then some awful days where everyone looked like pub level player, all down to not having clear style of play. He had couple of decent-good seasons where we had acceptable league campaigns but it was obvious that we hit the ceiling and we won't be the team capable of 80+ points under him.

shamans

Where he ends up has nothing to do with the job he did at ManUtd. Lampard ended up at Chelsea after Everton, doesn't mean he was good manager or did good job. De Boer after the shit job he did at Inter got Palace job, when he did even worse job he got Netherlands job.
Nope it speaks a lot. He only got the job based off of his player profile. No other club agrees he did a good job and no premier club is going to bother to give him a job let alone a club of our standing.

He was a terrible manager and set the team a good few years behind. No vision no plan and atrocious transfers.

roonster09

Scout
Nope it speaks a lot. He only got the job based off of his player profile. No other club agrees he did a good job and no premier club is going to bother to give him a job let alone a club of our standing.

He was a terrible manager and set the team a good few years behind. No vision no plan and atrocious transfers.
No other club agrees he did a good job? So much confidence knowing feck all :lol:

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The same ones who worshipped Jose, or most of them.
Exactly. A lot of Jose lovers who just could not stomach even until today that Ole succeeded their God Jose. Some of them are also constantly finding weaknesses in ETH, it’s like they are afraid he could surpass him (which he will already do in a few weeks if he gets top for while winning a trophy in the same season which Jose never did).

jeff_goldblum

Agreed. The way some of our fans still overegg/fabricate negative stories surrounding Ole's tenure is baffling to me. It's almost as if they haven't fully recovered from the trauma of finishing 3rd and 2nd in his two full seasons in charge.
The only time we've finished top 4 in consecutive seasons since Fergie retired.

Stadjer

No other club agrees he did a good job? So much confidence knowing feck all :lol:
He hasnt been hired by a different club since he got sacked. I havent even seen much rumours about clubs wanting to hire him eventhough enough manager positions have opened up after a manager was sacked. Sure, he could have been turning them all down, waiting for the right option and getting calls every day since his sacking but it could also be a lack of interest in hiring him. He isnt retired as a manager right? He still wants to be a manager?

I dont think he is the hottest manager on the market when searching for a new manager.... maybe other clubs dont think he did a very good job? It isnt the weirdest thing to conclude.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
How the 2nd and 3rd seasons are still being celebrated, is really beyond me. Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, United, Spurs have all been crap for a few seasons the last few years, with usually one of them peaking and nearing City.

It was a decent achievement but nothing to keep repeating and making it seem like some great job was done. We were never title challengers or anywhere close, we were slightly better than an awful bunch. Just as we are now.

roonster09

Scout
He hasnt been hired by a different club since he got sacked. I havent even seen much rumours about clubs wanting to hire him eventhough enough manager positions have opened up after a manager was sacked. Sure, he could have been turning them all down, waiting for the right option and getting calls every day since his sacking but it could also be a lack of interest in hiring him. He isnt retired as a manager right? He still wants to be a manager?

I dont think he is the hottest manager on the market when searching for a new manager.... maybe other clubs dont think he did a very good job? It isnt the weirdest thing to conclude.
I have given you few examples just from top of my head, the manager who did the worst job possible and then still got jobs. Manager getting next job has nothing to do with how he did in his precis job, at least not the only thing that matters.

Ole getting or not getting job has nothing to do with the job he did at ManUtd.

JB7

In the interests of fairness multiple well connected journalists have said a number of times he's rejected several job offers since leaving United.

roonster09

Scout
How the 2nd and 3rd seasons are still being celebrated, is really beyond me. Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, United, Spurs have all been crap for a few seasons the last few years, with usually one of them peaking and nearing City.

It was a decent achievement but nothing to keep repeating and making it seem like some great job was done. We were never title challengers or anywhere close, we were slightly better than an awful bunch. Just as we are now.
Looks like few think it wasn't a decent achievement and a downright failure.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
How the 2nd and 3rd seasons are still being celebrated.
Who are actually celebrating these seasons? When viewed in the context of post Fergie management they are among the better seasons of course, but that's also a very low bar to clear.

roonster09

Scout
Exactly. A lot of Jose lovers who just could not stomach even until today that Ole succeeded their God Jose. Some of them are also constantly finding weaknesses in ETH, it’s like they are afraid he could surpass him (which he will already do in a few weeks if he gets top for while winning a trophy in the same season which Jose never did).
Yeah, the real virus at the club.

I have seen a poster who said "we signed players from midtable clubs, so we should expect midtable finish" and this was said in 2018-19 season start, but when ole took over same poster in the very same season said how good our squad is and Ole should be finishing 4th, even though we were 11+ points behind 4th place when he took over.

Too many posters make up standards based on who the manager is and whether they love the manager

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Was never the right manager for us, but he's a club legend, and i fecking love the guy.

shamans

No club is interested in him. On paper finishing 2nd with Man United should be seen as a decent achievement but why is it not a single premier league club is even rumored to offer him a job?

In the actual football world no one even considers Ole as a relevant manager for top teams. He’ll likely get a job in Norway or similar ranked league.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24

Like the carabao cup this season :D.
We are a divided fan base untill today. Up until we get genuine progress there will always be part of the fan base which will be at odds with the manager. The best pointer to genuine sustainable progress is when the whole fan base will be behind the manager/team. No Newcastle/City fan can be negative at this point, even Arsenal with their bottling the league all their fans were behind the team 100%.

roonster09

Scout
No club is interested in him. On paper finishing 2nd with Man United should be seen as a decent achievement but why is it not a single premier league club is even rumored to offer him a job?

In the actual football world no one even considers Ole as a relevant manager for top teams. He’ll likely get a job in Norway or similar ranked league.
fecking hell same again, like I said you speak with so much authority on the topic you have feck all knowledge.

Did you talk to all the clubs? Or the "football world"? Is this like one more "I met 10000 Germans in real life and they said what I wanted to hear" kind of post.

shamans

fecking hell same again, like I said you speak with so much authority on the topic you have feck all knowledge.

Did you talk to all the clubs? Or the "football world"? Is this like one more "I met 10000 Germans in real life and they said what I wanted to hear" kind of post.
No need to get so sensitive over Ole. Do you really think clubs are interested in him as a manager? Which clubs exactly?

roonster09

Scout
No need to get so sensitive over Ole. Do you really think clubs are interested in him as a manager? Which clubs exactly?
I don't know which clubs, there were reports from Norway paper that PL clubs were interested in Ole but he turned them down. Even recently Club Brugge was linked with Ole.

Do you think Moyes did some fantastic job at ManUtd that he ended up with lot of opportunities after ManUtd? Or do you think De boer was awesome manager at Inter and Palace? Or Lampard did some exceptional job at Everton and Chelsea?

Since I don't know what the clubs think, I don't post with utmost confidence, or in other posts, one shouldn't post out of their arse, especially on topic entirely based on assumption.

Gavinb33

If you ask the match going fans I'd surmise you'd get a lot that said under Ole they looked forward to going to games a lot more than under the majority of his predecessors especially in the 1st 2 full seasons anyway

shamans

I don't know which clubs, there were reports from Norway paper that PL clubs were interested in Ole but he turned them down. Even recently Club Brugge was linked with Ole.

Do you think Moyes did some fantastic job at ManUtd that he ended up with lot of opportunities after ManUtd? Or do you think De boer was awesome manager at Inter and Palace? Or Lampard did some exceptional job at Everton and Chelsea?

Since I don't know what the clubs think, I don't post with utmost confidence, or in other posts, one shouldn't post out of their arse, especially on topic entirely based on assumption.
Your examples are terrible. Moyes clearly did not get his job off of his United stint but a previous proven track record of a decade as a premier league manager. Moyes also didn’t get another job of the Man United level so you’re proving my point.

De Boer was had success at Ajax. Lampard within context did pretty well at Derby, got sacked very early at Chelsea and got the Everton job of the back of that.

Ole achieved what exactly? This is like saying clubs are interested in me as a manager because you have no proof that they’re not since you’re not inside those clubs.

The weak club Brugge rumors may be true. A premier league club has had zero interest. We’ve heard zero rumors zero talks and there’s been plenty of clubs available. He’s just not that good

justsomebloke

Can't believe there actually is such a thing as Jose lovers, at least not at this club. What is it they like about him? His football philosophy ("the game is won by the team who commits the most errors" in combination with "whoever has the ball is the most likely to make mistakes")? The condition he left United in? His lovely personality? His people skills? His selflessness? His attention to his teams physical fitness?

justsomebloke

I don't think he's getting sensitive over Ole. He sounds more like he's annoyed by the fact you make a series of outlandish claims that obviously lack any basis.