Ole won't spend big![OP's inference, not Ole's words]

Status
Not open for further replies.

minoo-utd

I have to laugh at the thread title, what a piss take to read that.:lol: Next up, Cheapskate boss Ole refuses to sign Man City star Sterling for 250m after secret lunch at Greggs.
He just won't ask to spend big. So you maybe continue seeing Young/Dalot at R.B and Jones as C.B with only our midfield trio who surely need good backup and much much better than Fred, Pereira and Mctominay?

Fracture90

Going by his words, think we won't be spending big on galactico type of players, meaning we'll still be spending but not on Pogba type of signings.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Is this the mains or the newbie forum? Cant see any basis for the OP?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I'm a bit lost tbh, what does that even mean if he's only caretaker at the moment ? What if a new coach comes and insists on spending big ?

AJ10

"It is about who we've got here as well"

Ah unless i'm missing something, don't see anything wrong with what he said. One of Jose's problems was he said the squad was crap etc nearly every time he was asked a question, which I'm sure took everyone's motivation to a higher level :rolleyes:.

if you have read what he said, I'd like to see where he said United won't spend.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think most of us know that what you say in a job interview actually means nothing, you are just trying to get the job and you say what you think they want to hear.

C'est Moi Cantona

Sure we'll still spend plently, but got to admit, after all the waste & mistakes on so called big signings over the last 4-5 years it really doesn't bother me that much if they're few & far between for a while.

I wouldn't mind betting players like Rafael, Evans, Kagawa, etc would have been around a lot longer, & we'd still have players like Blind, Zaha, Depay, & maybe Adnan still here now, (& much improved versions at that) if someone like Ole had been brought in sooner, so it'd be nice to think the waste will be less, & most players might actually improve rather than regress from now on.

AndyJ1985

It's pie in the sky nonsense. When you compare our squad to the very best we're obviously miles behind. You think the likes of Lingard and Phil Jones are going to turn in to world beaters at the hands of Ole's coaching, and we'll batter Barcelona or Real Madrid in the CL final? Come on let's be real

Devil77

Considering how most big signings have failed at United in the past few years (Falcao, Di Maria, Sanchez, Mata etc) I wouldn't mind if he gets decent, hungry players who will improve our overall play and depth.
Don’t include Mata in that sorry bunch.

pacifictheme

Following the SAF strategy means signing two quality CBs, a fullback on the brink of becoming fantastic and a world class striker, plus plenty of sharp looking youngish talent.
Yeah our last european cup winning team had rio, rooney, nani, hargreaves, carrick and anderson in, who all cost a decent amount. And tevez who was a suspicious weird loan deal. And ronaldo who wasn't mega money but still cost us a bit.

When you factor in tranafer inflation i am sure i've seen that rio is one of the most expensive prem signings ever.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Yet again he says the right thing. The players who are here will much prefer to hear that than “we need 3 signings before this sorry lot are anywhere near ready to challenge”.

Also, isn’t this what people wanted when Jose was here? They accused him of just throwing money at the problem without actually doing any coaching of the players he had. This is exactly what a coach should be saying and his quote about taking Molde from 10th to 1st in a year should show the players that there’s no excuse. They can’t just sulk and blame incoming signings for nicking their place when the manager wants to improve them.

Cockney Phil

If ... that word of infinite possibilities.

If the decision to cut back on transfers is based solely on winning the Prem then we fans already have some inner doubts about this squad. Certain players in particular have fallen short at the last hurdle and we all feel pretty uncomfortable when they play. We mostly feel the club needs to spend on new players to fill gaps, how many depends on the opinion holder. However...

If Ole gets this squad fully functioning - including Sanchez, Fred, Lukaku, Rojo, etc as well as raising the younger players like Greenwood, Chong et al - then does he really need to spend on new players? If the management team believes they can salvage what they have and work them into a top outfit, then Ole has as much of a chance as LVG and the Sacked One who spent half a billion between them and only came Second once in 4-5 years. If he succeeds Ole is a hero and if he fails he gets the Brexit treatment.

If the squad is stabilised and all the pegs fit all the holes then he stands a chance but footy never remains constant for more than a couple of matches. An injury and points to a couple of key players and we could face some serious setbacks. But, If he succeeds then what? Will players really want to stay after they get a set of honours? Whichever dimension Ole follows/outcomes his continuing success generates issues over the squad and future transfers - that subject won’t go away.

Conclusion - forget the squad or transfers journalist story, this issue runs deeper. This story is really about rebuilding the management structure and ethos of the club. It’s about exorcising out the impact of the 3 previous managers and establishing an entirely new managerial philosophy. It’s not really about a Fergie system although he’s been attributed with having influenced the changes. If Ole succeeeds, his proposals will be in place and the management team system will be fully functioning. Whether he stays or goes won’t really matter in the long run because the key people/roles/jobs will be organised and in place. The key to the Ole revolution lies in management which primarily is about management systems, philosophy and method.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Rb:Rafael on free. If we believe dalot is class then we need to play him week in week out. Therefore all we need is a cover up until laird can take his place

Lb: Tierney for 30m. Alternatively retain Ashley young + bring mitchell back.

CB: Toby for 25m.

DM: Rabiot for free

RW: Cengiz under or pepe for 55m

110m-120m

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

As our previous 'big name' transfers have proven, spending obscene amounts of money isn't always successful. Our team has a decent amount of quality and I'm convinced some sensible signings will quite easily take us to the next level:

RB - Wan Bissaka (~25m)
CB - Alderweireld (£25m)

RW is for me the only 'problem' area because the attacking players often command the highest fees. But, even if an RW costs us £100m and outlay of £150m is very low compared to the £400m Mou spunked on players he ended up hating.

Out of interest, has anyone actually found a source for Ole saying this, or is this just he OP's interpretation?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
There's no evidence in Ole's interview where has said that we spent big money or something.

The basis of this thread is stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.