Ole's Clean Slate for 2019/20 Season

Hoof the ball

There's reasons to be positive, even amidst all the depressing drama of City/Liverpool challenging for the title, Spurs/Liverpool fighting for the UCL, Arsenal/Chelsea duking it out for the EL, and even with the knowledge that we're not in the Champions League next year.

1. Having managed for half a season already, Ole doesn't require time wasted in the new season to give this current squad a chance to impress. Moyes, LvG and Mourinho all required using the beginning of their respective debut seasons as a trial period of players inherited from the previous regime. Ole has the benefit from knowing already who is, and who isn't cut out for us next season, which means we at least have a greater chance at starting the season with clarity and focus.

2. Ole has an idea of how he wants his football to be played. He'll have a nice long pre-season in which to work on fitness and tactical improvements. Since he's had 1/2 a season already with this squad, he knows who will be able to work within his system moving into the new season. He'll have space and time at last to get his ideas across and work on implementing them with both the players he believes in at the club, as well as those he brings in to supplement the squad further. Coaching ideas aren't easy to get across in mid-season, since the players carry habits and instincts from the previous manager. A long pre-season will drill Ole's mentality in the squad with more success.

3. Tactically, Ole and co. will have the time to work on multiple formations and systems for next season so that we can more fluidly switch between them next season depending on the opposition and demands of any given game. Players should have a better idea of what is expected of them in different phases of the play, and will be in a better mindset to learn them without the added pressure of being in the middle of a top four chase.

4. Recruitment. Now, I know that there's scepticism because we have such an erratic transfer record post-Sir Alex, and rightly so the scepticism exists, however, every successive manager isn't indelibly linked to the previous manager and so the merits of Ole's recruitment choices deserve to be judged on the basis of what he decides, and not on what the previous management decided. More than any previous manager of the last few years, I'm convinced that Ole understands the areas that we are weak in; he's even made mention in public the issue of work rate of this squad in comparison to others, so, it gives me confidence knowing he's admitting something that previous manager's didn't (at least in public).

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Van Gaal and Jose did not waste their first season assessing players either. Van Gaal immediately let Cleverley, Nani and Welbeck go. Mourinho immediately jettisoned Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin and Depay were both out the door as soon as the January window opened.

Of course, it is only fair to Ole that he gets judged from the beginning of the season. I am not massively optimistic, as I wasn’t when he was appointed in the first place. He’s obviously massively under-qualified, and the language being used was in keeping with expectations on an interim manager. His coaching ability was never referenced, he was brought in as a cheerleader to lift spirits and ‘put smiles back on people’s faces’. That’s fine for a quick interim spell. Going forward, that cannot be the criteria.

Owen06

I think he did well in his first few games but we've been dogshite ever since. He's not good enough to turn our sinking ship around,the job is just too big for him.

He'll be gone by Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gandalf

I really have to object again to the "massively under-qualified" comment which is repeated ad nauseum in threads here lately. Ole has every coaching qualification required in Europe's top leaguers and has been employed as a full time coach for over a decade including the last 8 years as a head coach. He has won league titles and cup competitions as a Manager, implemented playing systems, bought and sold players, hired staff and competed in European competitions.

You can argue he has not won anything at the top level yet but many of the names linked with the job fit that description, however he is clearly more than qualified for the position. This does not have any bearing on how successful he will be but claiming he is unqualified is flat out wrong.

Dr. StrangeHate

There's reasons to be positive, even amidst all the depressing drama of City/Liverpool challenging for the title, Spurs/Liverpool fighting for the UCL, Arsenal/Chelsea duking it out for the EL, and even with the knowledge that we're not in the Champions League next year.

1. Having managed for half a season already, Ole doesn't require time wasted in the new season to give this current squad a chance to impress. Moyes, LvG and Mourinho all required using the beginning of their respective debut seasons as a trial period of players inherited from the previous regime. Ole has the benefit from knowing already who is, and who isn't cut out for us next season, which means we at least have a greater chance at starting the season with clarity and focus.

2. Ole has an idea of how he wants his football to be played. He'll have a nice long pre-season in which to work on fitness and tactical improvements. Since he's had 1/2 a season already with this squad, he knows who will be able to work within his system moving into the new season. He'll have space and time at last to get his ideas across and work on implementing them with both the players he believes in at the club, as well as those he brings in to supplement the squad further. Coaching ideas aren't easy to get across in mid-season, since the players carry habits and instincts from the previous manager. A long pre-season will drill Ole's mentality in the squad with more success.

3. Tactically, Ole and co. will have the time to work on multiple formations and systems for next season so that we can more fluidly switch between them next season depending on the opposition and demands of any given game. Players should have a better idea of what is expected of them in different phases of the play, and will be in a better mindset to learn them without the added pressure of being in the middle of a top four chase.

4. Recruitment. Now, I know that there's scepticism because we have such an erratic transfer record post-Sir Alex, and rightly so the scepticism exists, however, every successive manager isn't indelibly linked to the previous manager and so the merits of Ole's recruitment choices deserve to be judged on the basis of what he decides, and not on what the previous management decided. More than any previous manager of the last few years, I'm convinced that Ole understands the areas that we are weak in; he's even made mention in public the issue of work rate of this squad in comparison to others, so, it gives me confidence knowing he's admitting something that previous manager's didn't (at least in public).
You could have waited at least a sentence to tell a lie.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He’s going to get proper United players who are technically excellent with added quality and an immense hunger and work rate.

He’s going to be stupidly ruthless all Summer, shifting out a mass of players with absolute no sympathy.

We’re going to play excellent football next year with the intensity we saw when he first took over, taking to our new signings immediately whilst blooding a bottomless pit of young talent in the Europa League.

We’re going to challenge on all fronts the following season and dominate the English game throughout the 20’s.

Flytan

He'll be gone by December. He had half a season to weed out some of the trash and instead of doing that he gave them more prominent spots in his lineups.

MoskvaRed

I’m sure Ole recognises there is a problem (even we do on here, even Jamie Redknapp does) but does he possess the experience and skillset, and does he have the support within the club, to solve those problems? Only time will tell but I am not optimistic. I keep reading comments like “Ole knows what type of player is needed to succeed at United” but doesn’t that apply to a dozen ex-players under Fergie who have underwhelmed in management?

Stubble

Ole has too much loyalty to the players who have been stinking up the place for years and should really have been shipped out by now . The Youngs, Smallings, Jones and Lingards of the squad - i.e ex Ferguson players. Playing these will ultimately sink him and cost him his job..

Kapardin

He’s going to get proper United players who are technically excellent with added quality and an immense hunger and work rate.

He’s going to be stupidly ruthless all Summer, shifting out a mass of players with absolute no sympathy.

We’re going to play excellent football next year with the intensity we saw when he first took over, taking to our new signings immediately whilst blooding a bottomless pit of young talent in the Europa League.

We’re going to challenge on all fronts the following season and dominate the English game throughout the 20’s.
And then we will wake up.;)

izec

that is the wishlist. Reality will look different. He will fail already at the first 2 sentences in the summer before going into the season. He isnt as ruthless as he would like to be, especially in interviews and press conferences.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He needs better coaches and its a fact. Carrick and McKenna doesn't cut it.

AshRK

He'll be gone by December. He had half a season to weed out some of the trash and instead of doing that he gave them more prominent spots in his lineups.
How is he supposed to weed out the trash in between of the season. Also, its not like we have 2 or 3 trash, we have a lot and he cannot drop everybody and play kids, that's not how football works. He has given these lots a fair chance to impress and by hearing what Ole has said, many have not impressed so it could be highly likely he ships out many this summer.

Having said that if he does not do it and keeps playing Jones/Young/Smalling next season then he has no where to hide.

Sterling Archer

He had half a season to realize that Jose was correct and that this team is full of rotten apples.

Remember, he started full of praise for the players during that early run, and slowly started being critical of the attitude and now to the point no less than opening agreeing with the need to gut the entire squad.

Need to be realistic. Clean slate will never happen. The role is cursed.

Will Singh

I think the transfer window will determine how much faith the club has in Ole by the size of the war chest. If he gets drips and dabs I can't see him turning things around and probably by Christmas he will be out. It's to bigger job for him and the club is broken from top to bottom.

C'est Moi Cantona

I don't want him as our manager, but they'll be no 'witch hunt' from me, when he goes then he'll be untainted, we all know where the blame lies now.

I just hope we don't sack him too soon if it's going wrong, as the last thing we need is the club getting another unplanned interim manager they will just give the job to if they string a few wins together, and then we're back in to where we are now again.

Dé jonge god

So what Ole couldn't do in the last six months he'll miraculously do in about four to five weeks of pre-season?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He needs better coaches and its a fact. Carrick and McKenna doesn't cut it.
Carrick is pretty much a newbie in coaching and the reason for his involvement was originally to keep some of the squad in check and be a good connection between the dressing room and the manager. Like a leader to keep up the old standard. Our biggest issue this season has been lack of unity and effort so I don't think Carrick has brought anything to the table that could rectify that problem, which make his position redundant.

I do however believe in McKenna, he has a modern football brain on him. He had the U18's play some beautiful football, and did well at Spurs before we required his services.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I really have to object again to the "massively under-qualified" comment which is repeated ad nauseum in threads here lately. Ole has every coaching qualification required in Europe's top leaguers and has been employed as a full time coach for over a decade including the last 8 years as a head coach. He has won league titles and cup competitions as a Manager, implemented playing systems, bought and sold players, hired staff and competed in European competitions.

You can argue he has not won anything at the top level yet but many of the names linked with the job fit that description, however he is clearly more than qualified for the position. This does not have any bearing on how successful he will be but claiming he is unqualified is flat out wrong.
This, plus he has a successful spell as Reserve team Manager which was good enough for the dude over at City

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
And replace them with who exactly? He's not bought anyone yet ffs.

Give the guy a break. If he's still picking Jones and Young in August then you can moan.

peridigm

He booted Fellaini, everyone’s favorite whipping boy. Has to count for something.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I'm feeling very smug having said when Ole came in that it wouldn't be long before people turned on him. He got a stay of execution when results were good and this was used as evidence that Jose was 100% the problem.

Players who have seen off 3-4 managers are still at the club.

They'll be the same no matter who comes in unless the club tell the players that they no longer have any power to down tools on managers. I.e. the manager is here to stay and every player can and will be sold if needs be.

Ekeke

I wouldnt say completely clean slate, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what he can do with his own signings and players and changing the team to run harder with a high intensity pre-season.

Regardless of whether we start to catch the top teams in the league, it sounds like we'll be seeing far more players who walk off the pitch and we know they've given everything to try and get the 3 points, rather than players who have been quiet and havent even tried to be winners. If we arent a top 3 side in the premier league, I'll at least prefer that type of performance from the players.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I agree with this assessment, unfortunately.

Gandalf

So what Ole couldn't do in the last six months he'll miraculously do in about four to five weeks of pre-season?
Well he couldn't sign any players previously so yes he can do more now in pre-season than he could in six months. If you don't look at the slide of the last 2 months or the winning streak of the first 2-3 months in isolation the whole of his work so far has been better than Mourinho managed with this squad in the first half of the season. Good chance we finish 5th on Sunday and a 2 nil win for example gives us a plus 15 GD as opposed to 6th and no positive GD before he started. Even if it's 6th we are closer to Arsenal and Chelsea than we were when he came in.

There are positive signs and some negatives but changes to the squad have not been possible so far. Ole did intend to blood the youngsters more but injuries have scuppered those plans and honestly it's hard to drop Rashford and Lukaku when the alternatives are all on the treatment table. Reality says we won't be winning the PL next season but if we rejuvenate the squad and manage to stay at least top 6 whilst establishing an identity then I think that will be job done to start with.

I would actually be happier with a 6th place finish next year if I can see a plan and style of play that can bring greater success rather than a fluky top 4 finish and more of the same chaos as the last couple of years. I would add that we may well know by the middle of next season if Ole is on the right path but I would advocate for staying the course the full 12 months unless it is a disaster because if we do need to make a change it would be better done at the end of the season.

Reactions: nimic

Kapardin

I agree with this assessment, unfortunately.
His bias towards Rashford in particular is jarring. Not once did he criticize Rashford the same way he did Sanchez and Martial indirectly for their performances. And it appears Rashford has developed a bigger ego since he came in.

He seems to have the mentality that whatever the academy produces is good, so long as it's young. It will be his big failure.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He's going to need to hit the ground running next season otherwise he will be under huge pressure.
Club is fecked then as there's a good chance we won't win the ground running with us possibly bedding in a new team. Either give him the time to build a side or let's just forget it. People who say he has to get top 4 next season or he's sacked don't seem to understand that we just end up going through this over and over again.

el3mel

Club is fecked then as there's a good chance we won't win the ground running with us possibly bedding in a new team. Either give him the time to build a side or let's just forget it. People who say he has to get top 4 next season or he's sacked don't seem to understand that we just end up going through this over and over again.
You're dreaming mate regarding the bold part.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Oh have you not heard? The Caf has it's own qualification criteria in determining who is a worthy manager for Manchester United. A criteria so rigorous that it would have failed some of the top coaches in the game today (Guardiola, Zidane, Pochettino).

Jostein Hjorteset

I feel there has been a culture change among fans towards a more "galacticos" Real Madrid attitude in recent years. If the manager and players do not have a reputation it is all bad with the first sign of failure. The vision of the club (maybe from Ed Woodward) is to be a "mini" Real Madrid then? In Ole we have a manager with the incentives there (he wants the club to succeed) and also he is intelligent. Just give the man a chance to do his job. The most successful companies are run by intelligent people with the right incentives for instance. "Give the manager time" Fergie said. Well, Fergie operated almost a sporting director at the end of his tenure and that position is required to be long term if it is any point of having it all together.

All the deficiencies are there to be sorted out if there is enough wisdom around; more discipline maybe Phelan can be a helping hand, better tactics? (I doubt Ole, Phelan, Carrick and Mckenna together are bad a tactics - I believe the opposite is true). Recruitment is a major obstical - that too can be sorted out. The major obstacle is if he is allowed to do his job by his CEO (Ed). A corporation is only as successful as a CEO allows it to be, I doubt it is any different in Manchester United than anywhere else. If Ole got to go, the focus is on the CEO and the board and we as a club are in a no better place whatsoever. Far worse probably. So lets hope Ole get the backing he needs, because it is going to take 2-3 years to get any rewards from this rebuild.

Reactions: Sultan

Canagel

Our transfer business and targets will determine the success( or lack of) next year. And success isn't the title.

Last edited:

Godfather

That's cute.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Argh I don’t want this to be true but I fear it is. He’s definitely going to have to hold on to and play some of the dross next year too because we can’t replace the whole squad in one summer. I’d love 5 or 6 players in and out. 3 more experienced and 3 top first team youth prospects and play one or 2 of the kids around them and then add every window accordingly going forward.

Probably what you said though going on the way he’s picked his teams and the players who’ve gotten extensions and stuff. Also the football has been awful for months and the players clearly aren’t motivated by ole anymore.