Omar Berrada | Man Utd CEO

Zed is not dead

I was just pointing that our new CEO has mostly worked in the commercial side of his past clubs, not unlike our previous CEOs.

The funny part is that to me, past experiences are not good indicators of future success when it comes to running a football club, so to me, him working mostly on the commercial side is not a negative.
If anything, him being appointed as Chief Footballing Officer and apparently being a success proves it.

But calling him a football guy is a stretch.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Would be interested to know how we managed to get him to join from City

Wonder how much involvement he had with the 115 charges

Can only hope he's left as a) we have finally been able to demonstrate ambition and b) hes jumping ship because he thinks relegation can be the only outcome for 115 charges FC
United offered a higher ranked role. That alone is a big thing for ambitious people.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
I was just pointing that our new CEO has mostly worked in the commercial side of his past clubs, not unlike our previous CEOs.

The funny part is that to me, past experiences are not good indicators of future success when it comes to running a football club, so to me, him working mostly on the commercial side is not a negative.
If anything, him being appointed as Chief Footballing Officer and apparently being a success proves it.

But calling him a football guy is a stretch.
The job of CEO is to implement the strategy/plans of the board.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Blanc is above everyone, he is the CEO of Ineos Sports.
Thanks JP. As I’m reading through the thread now (just saw the news earlier this eve on some W/A groups but couldn’t respond as I was out to dinner) I just saw the “structure” with SJR, SDB & JCB as Ineos sports heads, with Omar as CEO of the club. For some reason I thought Blanc was replacing Arnold! Silly me! Seems great news anyway, moreso if we could get Ashworth (& Mitchell) on board as well - compared to what we had. Some reason to be positive!

Zed is not dead

The job of CEO is to implement the strategy/plans of the board.
Thank you sir. I myself have been in executive roles within companies so I’m well aware of what a CEO does or doesn’t do.

It’s funny that people think I’m saying anything about his competence.

My only point is that, to me, he cannot be labelled a « football guy » when he spent most of his career in the commercial side of football.

But him not being football guy has little incidence on how good a CEO he can be actually.

Zed is not dead

Thanks JP. As I’m reading through the thread now (just saw the news earlier this eve on some W/A groups but couldn’t respond as I was out to dinner) I just saw the “structure” with SJR, SDB & JCB as Ineos sports heads, with Omar as CEO of the club. For some reason I thought Blanc was replacing Arnold! Silly me! Seems great news anyway, moreso if we could get Ashworth (& Mitchell) on board as well - compared to what we had. Some reason to be positive!
Blanc will actually sit on the board with Ratcliffe and Brailsford if I remember correctly, meaning they are not intended to be on the day to day running of the club as a whole, but would rather be involved in the strategic planning

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Discussions about everything else aside - I'm not seeing enough welcome to the club posts so here goes:

Welcome Omar! Wishing you all the success in your new role because holy feck could we use some of that again.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Incorrect. CEO of MUFC works for the board of MUFC.
What is incorrect? Blanc is the Ineos Sport Chairman and he is in charge of overseeing all the sport portfolio, it's due to that role that he is a member of the board. Brailsford is Ineos Sport performance manager.

My only point is that, to me, he cannot be labelled a « football guy » when he spent most of his career in the commercial side of football.
Managers, coaches and players don’t become CEO’s of any super clubs, so how does anyone qualified enough to be CEO get labelled as a football guy if the guy with 17 years experience working in football doesn’t?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Thank you sir. I myself have been in executive roles within companies so I’m well aware of what a CEO does or doesn’t do.

It’s funny that people think I’m saying anything about his competence.

But him not being football guy has little incidence on how good a CEO he can be actually.
He's definitely a commercial guy. It's a nice move up with a wider range of responsibilities now.

Question is why? My guess is - after so many years with city there is only so much of uphill pushing of the boulder he can do.
Must have realised that despite their huge footballing success, commercially they are only a faux success, depending on the largeness of the Emir and his companies.

And there is a long lag of footballing success to actual real financial/commercial success. (Or in Woodsons term, you don't need short term footballing success for commercial success.) Omar wasn't going to wait that long?

Or he is dirty and wants to jump ship?

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Probably the most encouraging staffing appointment this century.

Look none of us are experts on Omar, but it is pretty much an acknowledgement of what every person with common sense has been saying since Fergie and Gill left we need to bring in some some people who have knowledge of how to build and run a football club. Looking at Omars C.V. he fits thats description.

It is also in direct contrast to the appointments we have seen under the Glazers, who have pretty all been internal appointments. Woodward, Arnold, appointments like Murtough have all come across like yes men appointments who the Glazers knew wouldn't rock the boat. Omar has a proven track record, it comes across that he isnt just going to come in and be a yes man.

Hopefully this is the first of many external appointments and we will get a clear out of the rotten infrastructure at the club.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
We’d likely get busted before City eventually do, and with a much harsher sanction than they will get!
No doubt especially seen how fast they’re moving with everyone else not City
You want to poach him alive?! That’s just sick….
That’s the kind of torture the law breaking bald genius deserves, don’t you think?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Managers, coaches and players don’t become CEO’s of any super clubs, so how does anyone qualified enough to be CEO get labelled as a football guy if the guy with 17 years experience working in football doesn’t?
I’m sure you’re both saying the exact same thing: he’s a football CEO (ie worked in the industry for so long that’s where his expertise lies) with a commercial background (speciality) ie not a Edwin van der Sar “football” type CEO (I think he is CEO at Ajax?).

So yeah, he’s a football CEO but not a “football” guy I suppose. (Though most CEOs would have his experience anyway as it’s a merger of the 2).

Grande

Top move this. Exactly what we needed, and a real statement of intent.

The nerd in me is compelled to point out though that we need to be very careful if we appoint anyone called Klaatu & Nikto as his assistants.
Wonder who’s gonna be his right hand.
'Rag'
'He's a snake'
'Rag'
'Is he jumping ship because of the charges'
'This means nothing'
'Rag'
'This is awful news, he knows the blueprint to our success'
'Man takes a better job, who cares'
'They just want to be us'
'Rag'
If you send this to Bluemoon, they’ll put it up as a sticky.

Zed is not dead

Read my post again. I said absolutely nothing about him being qualified or not. And I actually agree with what you’re saying. It’s actually a point I was trying to make in the threads about new CEOs or sporting directors, that these roles in big clubs are hard to fill because experience is hardly a metric for future success.

Im simply that saying he’s a football guy would be a stretch, but once again, it’s not pejorative. I simply found it funny that so many posts were saying how nice it was to finally get a « football guy » when his resume is heavily more on the commercial side.

And I actually don’t care if he’s a football guy since it’s an executive job. I’d be more interested in his qualities in strategic implementation, leadership, and administration required in running a business

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I’d like to know how we got him from city. There a much better footballing side at the moment. Winning everything. Maybe he fancied a new challenge or just wanted to join a bigger club.