Omar Berrada | Man Utd CEO

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
What is incorrect? Blanc is the Ineos Sport Chairman and he is in charge of overseeing all the sport portfolio, it's due to that role that he is a member of the board. Brailsford is Ineos Sport performance manager.
CEO reports to the board of MUFC, of which Ineos have 25%, this percentage is enough to block any major decisions, but is not a controlling interest.

Zed is not dead

I’m sure you’re both saying the exact same thing: he’s a football CEO (ie worked in the industry for so long that’s where his expertise lies) with a commercial background (speciality) ie not a Edwin van der Sar “football” type CEO (I think he is CEO at Ajax?).

So yeah, he’s a football CEO but not a “football” guy I suppose. (Though most CEOs would have his experience anyway as it’s a merger of the 2).
Yes spot on.
I think my initial posts were taken as a criticism of his appointment when they’re not.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I’d like to know how we got him from city. There a much better footballing side at the moment. Winning everything. Maybe he fancied a new challenge or just wanted to join a bigger club.
It’s technically a promotion as he was COO at City working under their CEO, Soriano. It gives him the opportunity to be the big dog and get into the INEOS project from the ground up.

Zed is not dead

He's definitely a commercial guy. It's a nice move up with a wider range of responsibilities now.

Question is why? My guess is - after so many years with city there is only so much of uphill pushing of the boulder he can do.
Must have realised that despite their huge footballing success, commercially they are only a faux success, depending on the largeness of the Emir and his companies.

And there is a long lag of footballing success to actual real financial/commercial success. (Or in Woodsons term, you don't need short term footballing success for commercial success.) Omar wasn't going to wait that long?

Or he is dirty and wants to jump ship?
I think City are coming at the end of a cycle.
They achieved CL success, Pep won’t be here indefinitely, KdB is not eternal either, they may be starting to have to operate a more « normal » operation, and so on.

Also the guy spent almost a decade there, so he might be looking for a new challenge. Let’s hope he’s actually clean - and let’s also hope he’ll be able to do some good work at United.

redshaw

Sounds like a good get.

I just wait for the breaking news that he's the first man the PL want to interrogate all of a sudden.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
But him not being football guy has little incidence on how good a CEO he can be actually.

Agreed.

A CEO tends to be a long term role, very much aligned to the board vision, looks like Omar has been convinced this is a job for him. Its significant.

Redivy

I’d like to know how we got him from city. There a much better footballing side at the moment. Winning everything. Maybe he fancied a new challenge or just wanted to join a bigger club.
I didn’t realise the difference in size of clubs until I was in Manchester for the first time a few years ago. Manchester United as an institution is just too big for City despite the recent success.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Im simply that saying he’s a football guy would be a stretch, but once again, it’s not pejorative. I simply found it funny that so many posts were saying how nice it was to finally get a « football guy » when his resume is heavily more on the commercial side.
He was expected to take over from Txiki Bergiristain at City - who is the DOF so Omar must know a bit of something about the game from his time at Barca and City. Much more than bankers Woodward and Arnold who we signed from PWC and JPM. He clearly has a good understanding of the Football industry business wise and from interviews posted in this thread we can see he knows the importance of balancing business and sporting interests. He will make a very competent and interesting go between for the Glazers and INEOS.

Yes spot on.
I think my initial posts were taken as a criticism of his appointment when they’re not.
This kinda sounds like it.

ing to the football side in 2020 only.

Strange that this place is so happy when the recurring complaint on the Caf was to get people with « proven track record » and not people from commercial background.

My questions remains the same, what constitutes a “football man“ for this role?

Surely you can answer that as you find it “strange” that people are happy with a “none football man”. And do any top clubs in England or Spain have such men as CEO of their clubs?

Seems you are the only one who expected such a role to be given to an ex player, manager or director of football, whereas 99% of fans always expected this role to be something different and are delighted we have taken in someone who’s got 17 years of football experience, with the 3 most recent of those as Chief Football Operations Officer. That’s as “football” a man we could have expected for this role and is a far cry from Woody and Arnold.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I never found real sources to those quotes, so sadly, likely not true
I thought the story was he might have thought he was signing for Chelsea or something. Then when told “Manchester” he didn’t know there we another team there. But yeah, not sure I’ve ever read a confirmed report either.

Redivy

I just wonder whether us signing him means that City aren't going to get punished severely for their cheating.
If they do, it makes no sense for United to sign someone who by all means must have known about the shady stuff,
and therefore would be held accountable for some of it.

Even if I manage to put that aside, well... it's so fecking hard to get excited about a Utd signing, off or on the pitch.

Hopefully this guy I never heard of will do brilliantly in one of the toughest jobs in world football at the moment.
One can surely hope.
As hard as it is to believe, the likelihood is that the people who led the dodgy dealings at City are people in the background that we’ve never heard of. If I’m not mistaken, the cheating starting even before Berrada, Txiki and Soriano arrived at the club.

It’ll be people very very close to the Sheik and his group.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
This kinda sounds like it.

My questions remains the same, what constitutes a “football man“ for this role?

Surely you can answer that as you find it “strange” that people are happy with a “none football man”. And do any top clubs in England or Spain have such men as CEO of their clubs?

Seems you are the only one who expected such a role to be given to an ex player, manager or director of football, whereas 99% of fans always expected this role to be something different and are delighted we have taken in someone who’s got 17 years of football experience, with the 3 most recent of those as Chief Football Operations Officer. That’s as “football” a man we could have expected for this role and is a far cry from Woody and Arnold.
This is his city background:

He joined City in 2011, serving as head of international business Development, director of partnership sales and then senior vice president group commercial director, before becoming the club’s chief operating officer in 2016.
In 2020, he was promoted to a senior role at City Football Group.

Didn't Arnold and Kenyon have similar carrer paths? Did partnership/commercial roles? I forget. The main diff this time is, that the CEO role was an external hire rather than the usual internal pool.

Last edited:

r0663664

Worships Man City
Now let’s go poach Pep!
We need to give Pep 1 billion to built a new XI, none of the current XI is wanted by Pep. I don't think United can make this appointment without understanding the implications to FFP.

This is his city background:

He joined City in 2011, serving as head of international business development, director of partnership sales and then senior vice president group commercial director, before becoming the club’s chief operating officer in 2016.

In 2020, he was promoted to a senior role at City Football Group.
I know that, why are you sharing with me like I’m unaware :confused:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
We need to give Pep 1 billion to built a new XI, none of the current XI is wanted by Pep. I don't think United can make this appointment without understanding the implications to FFP.
I’d say there’s a handful here Pep can use or see a use for but yeah, he’d come with a list of demands as is his right with his standing in the game. Still, best coach in the business. I was saying that tongue in cheek anyway, and wasn’t too serious.

JediSith

I've heard of Txiki Begiristain but not this guy.
Txiki is probably the most known one, maybe because of the name and he was more senior. But to me it was always common knowledge that City took two guys off of Barca and both were equally important.

ScholesyTheWise

As hard as it is to believe, the likelihood is that the people who led the dodgy dealings at City are people in the background that we’ve never heard of. If I’m not mistaken, the cheating starting even before Berrada, Txiki and Soriano arrived at the club.

It’ll be people very very close to the Sheik and his group.
Yeah, I guess that the really horrible stuff that has to do with people's lives is being done by people we will never hear about.
I would expect someone like Berrada or Begiristain to not have a clue about the people the Sheik bribed in the Council of Manchester, for example [hypothetically speaking, right?].

I would however expect them to know about things like Mancini being paid double contracts.
Or City having some crypto-related sponsor that doesn't seem to exist.

I don't think it's plausible that the cheating is being done without senior officials who run the club daily knowing about it and allowing it.
They'd never be able to pull it off if it was just a select few who are part of the Sheik's entourage or what have you.

Just my pinion of course.

McFred

Seems like a coup, first time in a long time that Utd have done something quickly and quietly. Encouraging also that they are hiring in the right order with the CEO first, who’ll obviously have his own ideas for football director.

ScholesyTheWise

Txiki is probably the most known one, maybe because of the name and he was more senior. But to me it was always common knowledge that City took two guys off of Barca and both were equally important.
Aren't you thinking of Ferran Soriano as the other guy?

Didn't Arnold have a similar carrer path? Didn't partnership/commercial roles? I forget. The main diff this time is, that the CEO role was an external hire rather than the usual internal pool.
Berrada worked at Barca for 8 years before City too remember.

That + his 3 years as Chief Football Operations Officer certainly make him more qualified as a “football man” coming into the job as CEO here.

If Arnold had a role prior to getting the job where he was “overseeing talent management, performance services and football intelligence as Chief Football Operations Officer” you’d be closer to having a point.

As I say, it’s not a job at any top club in England or Spain that goes to an ex player or manager, so his latest role at City certainly makes him as much a “football man” as anyone could expect/hope.

StamsShinyHead

"SAF you're an old dick, but I respect you."
Remember when WCW got Russo and thought they won the jackpot then folded a year later after they discovered he was a fraud hiding in plain sight and wasn't some intelligent savior they had bet the farm on?

Sorry, bit of a weird comparison but it immediately popped in my mind for whatever reason. I should be excited. And I am. Just won't show it on the outside for some time.
Alliance-era MUFC will be very odd

Dravy

Top move this. Exactly what we needed, and a real statement of intent.

The nerd in me is compelled to point out though that we need to be very careful if we appoint anyone called Klaatu & Nikto as his assistants.
Underrated Groovy!

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
An excellent statement of intent. Very happy with this move. Finally getting proper football men at the top of the club hierarchy.

Define ‘football men’?

He started as the ‘Head of Sponsorship’ at Barca, before working his way up to ‘Director of Partnership Sales’ and ‘Group Commercial Director’ at City…

Not really a huge departure from the kind of people we’ve employed before…. Just at a much better run club*

* give or take 115 charges of financial impropriety

Last edited:
Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Define ‘football men’?

He started as the ‘Head of Sponsorship’ at Barca, before working his way up to ‘Director of Partnership Sales’ and ‘Group Commercial Director’ at City…

Not really a huge departure from the kind of people we’ve employed before…. Just at a much better run club
clubS. His position was for the City group of clubs not just City.

You can say a lot of things about City, but they are well run with good people in position… or they’re replaced.

Between that and Ratcliffes track record for surrounding himself with good managers, it feels a good move