Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

Yakuza_devils

He easily have the most mistake of any 1st choice GK in Man Utd as far as I remember. He made too many comical mistakes in one season.

JohnnyLaw

Had a couple of good saves to be fair to him but you can’t have a keeper who makes the kind of misses he did for Dokus goal, which he has consistantly across the season.

This is not the time to change him though. If we have a good window in the summer maybe we can look for a successor the season after that. Unless of course he makes the necessary improvements in the meantime.

Eric_the_Red99

Such a frustrating keeper. Not really a descriptor you want of a goalkeeper. Steady Eddie, consistent, these things would be better. Not somebody that combines great moments which shite that cost you goals.
I actually think that the ‘great moments’ and his mistakes are connected - he has a tendency to make routine saves look like worldies because he’s *only just* saving them, usually because he’s reacting so late or he was in a bad position to begin with. Sometimes a shot will be going straight towards him and he’ll dive dramatically into the air to push it over the bar when a more competent keeper would simply have caught the ball, no muss, no fuss.

If you play like that, and when you face as many shots as our defence allows, eventually one of those easy shots will go in and he’ll be exposed.

DontBeMeanToBeRuud

He isn't going to be a great keeper but i think he is good enough to utelise him for a season or two whilst we rebuild our squad holes like at LB, CDM, ST etc.

We are not going to be a league winning team next year and i think he is good enough to achieve CL qualifications.

We can try qualify once or twice for the CL and when its time to compete for the League then think about an alternative world class GK.

Top_Bins

He's massively inconsistent. In the same final he can make worldies and then let in a savable daisy cutter. Dunno if it's a confidence thing but it's two extremes at the moment from him. I hope the coaches can iron the mistakes out of his game and if they can't he won't last long.

Yakuza_devils

We can't have a GK where any shot from opponent will make you worry. We used to have Schmeichel, VDS and DDG who was very reliable.

We can't keep worrying about GK mistakes every other game. It's too many for this level. I have more confidence even with Henderson. We can count on him to make routine save and not to worry about every shot.

We need a GK and not an outfield player at the posts. His shot stopping, his positioning and even in the air are dodgy.

Irwin99

Yes it was thanks to Onana that Gvardiol and Ortega made a total feck up gifted us a goal and then made Walker to forget to defend. :houllier:

All that in 24% possession of the ball that we enjoyed, yeah Onana definitely contributed to much of that with his 49% pass completion, compared to 49% of DDG last year. :houllier:

Lots of posters on here driving the same narrative, but you take the biscuit easily,.
I'm seeing this a lot and while i think there's no denying that in terms of long range passing it hasn't been as good as we thought it would be there is a huge difference between how both keepers receive the ball and how they pass short range. DDG gave off serious 'don't give me the ball' vibes, Onana for the most part exudes confidence with the ball at his feet, and his first touch is great. That's been the best part of having a new keeper for me and I noticed it particularly from the game against Arsenal early in the season.

No one should be denying there are some serious concerns about other areas to his game though. For me personally, i'd like to see us get a very good back up keeper to give him some competition next season as the jury is still out if he can be United's number one for years to come.

Pronewbie

Peep
Onana doesn't have the composure and consistency to be our #1 long-term.

We need a new GK to challenge Onana. Someone cheap-ish so we can invest in more important positions.. I personally would have gone for Keylor Navas last season since Raya was already headed to Arsenal. Navas is incredibly underrated possibly because of his size. He showed that he still had it at Forest.

Kostov

I'm seeing this a lot and while i think there's no denying that in terms of long range passing it hasn't been as good as we thought it would be there is a huge difference between how both keepers receive the ball and how they pass short range. DDG gave off serious 'don't give me the ball' vibes, Onana for the most part exudes confidence with the ball at his feet, and his first touch is great. That's been the best part of having a new keeper for me and I noticed it particularly from the game against Arsenal early in the season.

No one should be denying there are some serious concerns about other areas to his game though. For me personally, i'd like to see us get a very good back up keeper to give him some competition next season as the jury is still out if he can be United's number one for years to come.
I certainly not deny that Onana is more comfortable in possession, it’s the overrating part that is annoying. As i pointed out exact same completion rate and 2 more passes than DDG last year. Onana had feck all to do with how well we played, gave his best to feck it up at the end that is agreed.

RoyH1

Onana doesn't have the composure and consistency to be our #1 long-term.

We need a new GK to challenge Onana
. Someone cheap-ish so we can invest in more important positions.. I personally would have gone for Keylor Navas last season since Raya was already headed to Arsenal. Navas is incredibly underrated possibly because of his size. He showed that he still had it at Forest.
I agree with the bolded part. While cheapish would be great, if we have to spend then let it be so. GK is one position where you absolutely need consistency and a pair of safe hands.

Dominos

The only reason I'd keep him is because I don't like writing players off after 1 season. I like to see players get 2 seasons to prove themselves.

But yeah, this season has been about as bad as it realistically could have been. So many mistakes, so many soft goals conceded that he could have saved. And worse than that, he seems to have some real technical weakness in his shot stopping that means it's likely going to be a long term issue.

Remember the final straw for De Gea was conceding 2 soft goals in the FA Cup final last year that a top keeper should save. And Onana follows that up this year by conceding an even softer goal in the cup final.

I do think at points he's been harshly judged whereby people are blaming him for every single shot that goes in. But overall a pretty bad season.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The only reason I'd keep him is because I don't like writing players off after 1 season. I like to see players get 2 seasons to prove themselves.

But yeah, this season has been about as bad as it realistically could have been. So many mistakes, so many soft goals conceded that he could have saved. And worse than that, he seems to have some real technical weakness in his shot stopping that means it's likely going to be a long term issue.

Remember the final straw for De Gea was conceding 2 soft goals in the FA Cup final last year that a top keeper should save. And Onana follows that up this year by conceding an even softer goal in this year's cup final.

I do think at points he's been harshly judged whereby people are blaming him for every single shot that goes in. But overall a pretty bad season.
If Martinez and Shaw are healthy next year and we replace Varane, I expect Onana to have a much better year....potentially even one where people like myself and others happily say we were wrong about him based on the first six months.

DevTheRed

Hasn’t really shown the ability on the ball we saw in the UCL final last year either which I think is a lot do the reason why a lot of us wanted him. He isn’t a serious problem so he’ll do for now.. he hasn’t exactly had the easiest first season so you never know, he could improve.

ArmaDino

It's crazy to think that we had Kovar on our books and we just shipped him out to Leverkusen where he is just happy to be the cup keeper. Not only that, but he impressed as well.

I followed him(as I did Vitek, our other academy GK) and I noticed that he was a bit of a Mainoo himself. He looked much more assured and commanding of the box than De Gea was at the time. The limited time he had during our pre season he showed a very good GK display. So I was sad to see him go.

Meanwhile during the winter phase we were absolute shambles GK wise. Onana was coming of consecutive howlers in the CL and we were losing him to AFCON.

If we were a well run Kovar would be our No. 2 and our cup keeper. He would've easily had 15+ appearances this season. And right now we wouldn't be too worries about the GK situation, because if Onana continued on his current trajectory, a young lad would be there to take his place.

Alas, it's another what could have been. I do hope that we do have some kind of buy back option.

Pronewbie

Peep
I agree with the bolded part. While cheapish would be great, if we have to spend then let it be so. GK is one position where you absolutely need consistency and a pair of safe hands.
I mean, look at what we got Schmeichel and VDS for - many other examples in today's market. The GK market is an interesting one, especially if we consider our financial situation and upgrades required up the pitch. If Keylor Navas can replicate his form for his recent clubs that's more than good enough for a side challenging for top 4, IMHO.

Abraxas

I actually think that the ‘great moments’ and his mistakes are connected - he has a tendency to make routine saves look like worldies because he’s *only just* saving them, usually because he’s reacting so late or he was in a bad position to begin with. Sometimes a shot will be going straight towards him and he’ll dive dramatically into the air to push it over the bar when a more competent keeper would simply have caught the ball, no muss, no fuss.

If you play like that, and when you face as many shots as our defence allows, eventually one of those easy shots will go in and he’ll be exposed.
I was sort of combining all his decent ball playing into one as part of the "great" descriptor. May as well be generous at this point...:lol:

I agree most of his goalkeeping in general has not been very impressive in terms of shot stopping in particular, commanding the box and aerial skills have also been average at very best. Clearly his passing is his best skill which he still fecks at times but in general is quite good.

Oscar Bonavena

I like the guy, but he's not a good goalkeeper. I mean, it's just blindingly obvious at this stage. The Doku shot bounced twice along the ground before it reached him and he still couldn't save it.

He's comfortable with the ball at his feet, I'll give him that, but he's gonna let in 8 to 12 shit goals like that a season, guaranteed.

If people are happy with that, fine, let's keep him.

Tarrou

I'm all for giving people time but I've never seen a keeper so poor at getting down to low shots before

it's such a glaring weakness I wonder how he made it this far in his career, to be honest

Blood Mage

He has to face a minimum of 15 shots per game playing for us, and he's come from a team in Inter who control games and are largely untroubled by their opponents in Italy. Plus he's following in the footsteps of one of the greatest shot stoppers ever in De Gea. I'm willing to give him more time.

Martial

He is Pogba in goalkeeping form.

Some elite characteristics, but completely let down by the lack of simple basic fundamentals of the position.

OverratedOpinion

I don't think he is a brilliant keeper but he has also faced a ridiculous amount of shots this season, most in the league.

We have far bigger issues to address. He is not as good as De Gea so I can understand people's annoyance but we are where we are and he isn't our biggest issue by a long shot.

Dion

You can't judge a goalkeeper who faces so many shots by the volume of mistakes he makes, or indeed the great saves he makes.

Onana has made a lot of good saves and a lot of mistakes this year because he's had to make over 200 saves. Objectively he has the highest save % in the league, but how PSxG prevented is only decently above average this year. So I think it's fair to say he's done decently as a shot stopper this season, but the eye test just won't work because we hold good and bad bits in far more weight than average stuff. There's no way you're going to think a goalkeeper who makes 12 mistakes in 200 saves is as good as a keeper who makes 3 mistakes in 50 saves but objectively they're the same failure rate.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
It will be interesting to see how we adapt our play next season. His on the ball play has largely been great in flashes and ultimately the strength of that is supposed to mitigate his other weaknesses. If anything, ETH has him adapt more than the other way this season. Hopefully next season, whoever the manager is, we more deliberately shift to a possession based system and we see more of what he does best helps us score more goals.

dubplate warrior

Hasn’t really shown the ability on the ball we saw in the UCL final last year either which I think is a lot do the reason why a lot of us wanted him. He isn’t a serious problem so he’ll do for now.. he hasn’t exactly had the easiest first season so you never know, he could improve.
Actually think he was much better on the ball with Lisandro in front of him.

Scholsey2004

I think we signed a goalkeeper whose main strength is his use of the ball before improving the technical quality of the players ahead of him. We need defenders and midfielders who are technically better to maximise his strengths. His weaknesses are obvious but in a quality team, which we currently arent, theyd be far less important.

Scholsey2004

It will be interesting to see how we adapt our play next season. His on the ball play has largely been great in flashes and ultimately the strength of that is supposed to mitigate his other weaknesses. If anything, ETH has him adapt more than the other way this season. Hopefully next season, whoever the manager is, we more deliberately shift to a possession based system and we see more of what he does best helps us score more goals.
I keep hoping that and then we sign someone like Mason Mount.

Cantonalegod

Tbf though, how many previous Utd keepers had to face 20+ shots every game?
He faces an average of 5 shots on target per game out of that 20+.

Bearing in mind the mistakes he's made this season, if I was the opposition manager I'd be getting my forwards to shoot as much as possible.

Unfortunately for Onana, and us, there's always an error waiting just around the corner!

lex talionis

We do not need a new keeper now. Yes, he's a flawed keeper but his flaws would be masked with a better back line. What we need to do is to address more urgent priorities -- two CBs, a CDM and a striker at least -- and if Onana has another season like the one he just had then we can upgrade him next summer.

ShinjiNinja26

He faces an average of 5 shots on target per game out of that 20+.

Bearing in mind the mistakes he's made this season, if I was the opposition manager I'd be getting my forwards to shoot as much as possible.

Unfortunately for Onana, and us, there's always an error waiting just around the corner!
He also has the highest save percentage in the league. He’s made quite a few mistakes no doubt, most of them coming in the CL but he’s been nowhere near as bad as some are making out. With what could be a limited budget for the summer window there’s far more pressing areas that need addressing before we spend a good chunk of the budget on another goalkeeper. I’d give him another season with hopefully a settled defence in front of him and see how things go, if he’s still making errors on a regular basis then shift him on next summer.

Toblerone92

We need another keeper and Onana can stay and compete with them for the number one spot if he wishes. Or he can feck off. I don’t actually care.