Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

Todd

I believe that 1) the team mentality is causing issues and 2) the number of shots he's facing has to get at you at some point.

I don't think this season is a good judge of him, as he's had good and bad spells.
While the criticism of Onana is fair, it's definitely also important to acknowledge that he has been a victim of circumstance because he's facing more shots than most keepers, especially in the second half of the season. It's a pretty simple mathematical inevitability that the more shots you face, on average the more goals you're going to concede.

So a lot of the blame shouldn't fall on Onana's shoulders. The back line has been really bad this season, and that obviously comes down to an unreasonable amount of injuries, and in an alternate reality in which our preferred defenders were mostly healthy and available all season Onana probably would've conceded 10-15 fewer goals this season.

The thing I'm worried about is that the club will be dumb enough to make the same mistake for a second summer in a row.

We desperately need a striker, a box-to-box mid, a holding mid, and a center back this summer, at the very least, and we absolutely cannot afford to blow money on trying to replace Onana one summer after we incorrectly prioritized upgrading the position when we desperately needed other things.

Onana has shown at times that he's capable of playing very well, and needs to be given at least one more season to prove his mettle.

If he's still underperforming after next season, then hopefully there will be room in the budget to look at replacing him, because at that point we will have hopefully already replaced 3 or 4 players in the first eleven.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
He looks like he's terrified of playing football. Reactions are so slow and I'm not sure he's ever been this bad for Inter but maybe he has, maybe they've got a much better defence and much worse opponents and he hasn't been exposed there.

Why is our recruitment so hopelessly bad? It's like everyone at the club goes out of their way to make sure the wrong decision is being made. We're in constant state of harakiri.

FerociousCorgis

bad technique strikes again. His footwork is just incredibly poor. Hopefully he can get that sorted with some better coaching perhaps.

Robbie Boy

Well, how bad is he?

He isn't as bad as some now have concluded. But he has serious flaws as a player, and when those flaws are mercilessly exposed - he looks like shit.

I dunno. To me, having seen him regularly over a full season, he's just not up to scratch technically and tactically as a defensive keeper (kinda important, that defensive part).

You can argue that we haven't seen the best of him as an offensive keeper (his passing, his ability to initiate attacks) because we've been disjointed and generally not very good - and, yes, I won't dismiss that argument.

You can also say that we've been setting up in a near suicidal manner (allowing the opponent to get at us for fun), which has put him under much more pressure than he should have faced in a well-functioning system (for a supposed top team). And I can sort of buy that too.

But that doesn't really explain what seems like a basic lack of technical (and tactical) prowess as a...goalkeeper (on the highest level).

It's obvious enough that he would've looked infinitely better for a hypothetical team that was very dominant in possession and allowed very few direct chances (shots), and - again - you could argue that United should be that team. But - nah, on the whole he looks a bit like a busted flush. Much like the man who recruited him.
I have no idea how bad he is overall. I can only judge how bad he's been here, and he's been absolutely shocking. His failure to do the very basics has me very worried tbh. Yes, there are obviously some factors that have made him look worse, but even without those factors, he doesn't inspire any confidence whatsoever.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Number of shots faced will never explain how Olise managed to score his second. That was just appalling positioning.
Because he like you and I are human.

He is in his first season, the team is having a shit season, he has himself has been up and down, the defense is trash and he's facing record numbers of shots.

It is natural that his levels have dropped under the present circumstances.

gaffs

Ten Hag got it wrong. Even with no injuries, we do not have the players or system to be able to play out of the back. This should have come first, before spending big on a keeper who is apparently great with his feet, but, as we have seen, is poor with his gloves.

acnumber9

Because he like you and I are human.

He is in his first season, the team is having a shit season, he has himself has been up and down, the defense is trash and he's facing record numbers of shots.

It is natural that his levels have dropped under the present circumstances.
It’s not about levels. It’s about knowing where to be on the pitch. His positioning is shit.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Oh look the DDG fans have crawled back out again. It’s just painful, move on he was awful which is why we him go and even then about three seasons too late.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ten Hag got it wrong. Even with no injuries, we do not have the players or system to be able to play out of the back. This should have come first, before spending big on a keeper who is apparently great with his feet, but, as we have seen, is poor with his gloves.
Disagree with this actually.

Dalot - Varane - Licha - Shaw

That’s a very competent defence for playing out the back when played together. Varane is the weakest of the four, but he’s never the defender to demand the ball centrally, he defers wide, it’s shaw or Licha who demand it in the middle.

DON’T PANIC ™

That’s a very competent defence for playing out the back when played together. Varane is the weakest of the four, but he’s never the defender to demand the ball centrally, he defers wide, it’s shaw or Licha who demand it in the middle.
Why refer to Martinez by his first name and not the others?
Is Licha a mate of yours or something? :cool:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Why refer to Martinez by his first name and not the others?
Is Licha a mate of yours or something? :cool:
Yes, he was a few (12) years below me at (a different) school (on a different continent).

JB7

I never said I wanted him or that it was a good idea but it will happen.
There's more chance of you starting in goal next season for Manchester United than David De Gea, and that's probably a good thing as I've seen De Gea play and haven't seen you play, so there is a large chance you would be better than him.

Geistman

I just can't see Onana improving enough to be worth holding onto. Look it is fair that he has never had a settled back four in front of him but he has made so many ludicrous errors. I can't imagine he'd look as bad in a settled back four. Nothing yesterday was an error really but I watched that first goal from all angles and different speeds I genuinely have no idea how he didn't save it. Anything low seems to result in a goal. He is not good enough a shot stopper and his supposed best asset, his feet, is widely exaggerated. Just another Eredivisie level player. Antony and Amrabat too can go. Not premier league standard. Inter walked the league without him if he was such a fantastic player they would surely have struggled.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It was a question :lol: :lol:

Hence the not really following Serie A part.
Ok I thought the - was he not being an implied he was kind of question. A straight question would have just been, was he any good. Don’t know why you found it so funny to have two laughing faces

Robbie Boy

Ok I thought the - was he not being an implied he was kind of question. A straight question would have just been, was he any good. Don’t know why you found it so funny to have two laughing faces
It was pretty funny that you went for me when I didn't imply that I thought he was good.

I suppose, he seemed highly rated in general and I thought he was supposed to have been good for Inter. The assumption was based on us paying pretty big money after one season there. I also remember a thread about him on here during his Ajax days where plenty seemed to really rate him.

gaffs

And what happens when a couple are injured?

It not just about the back four. Do we have the midfielders who want to receive the ball facing goal? Casimiro - no. Mainoo - yes. Eriksen - no. Bruno, no.

We saw the slow passing out of the back earlier in the season when we had a near full team. It was awful and went nowhere.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It was pretty funny that you went for me when I didn't imply that I thought he was good.

I suppose, he seemed highly rated in general and I thought he was supposed to have been good for Inter. The assumption was based on us paying pretty big money after one season there. I also remember a thread about him on here during his Ajax days where plenty seemed to really rate him.
Went for you is a stretch

The Hilton

One if the worst around on the ball is such an exaggeration almost as big as “you can’t play out from the back without the GK being Ederson”. The same over exaggeration was used last may. Ramsdale didn’t stop Arsenal last season and Madrid just got into the CL semis with Lunin while Kepa is on the bench.
And as far as it was reported DDG was being offered a contract on much lower wages and on short term, that was the only reasonable thing to do with him, than ETH changed his mind.
I don't think it is an exaggeration, DDG was awful on the ball. If you believe that playing out from the back is overrated then fair enough, but there's no way we'd be able to do it with DDG.

You're wrong about what happened with DDG. He was originally offered another medium-long term contract on partially reduced wages that would still have made him the highest paid goalkeeper in the country.

Thankfully the club decided against yet another inflated contract for a player on the wane, which would have tied us to DDG for years (not like we could have offloaded him, given that he can't find a club on a free), and offered a short term contract more befitting a backup keeper, that DDG rejected.

Again, Onana doesn't look like the right replacement, but we did need a replacement.

The Hilton

I don’t fully buy into that just because pep has made it recently trendy to do so. There were many great teams in the past who dominated possession without having a “sweeper keeper”: why outfield players cannot find passing angles without a ball playing keeper is crazy.
It's less about Pep making it trendy, and more about the rise of high pressing teams. Think how often players need to go back to the keeper, if they're only good for lumping the ball out then without a Fellaini like character to bypass the other team then you reduce your chances of getting on the ball.

crossy1686

career ending
What happened to all the good keepers? Toldo, Frey, Canizares, Dida, Kahn etc. seems like there’s only one or two these days and they can’t maintain top level for long.

RedRocket9908

Andre Onana has 8 clean sheets in tbe league this season despite his team allowing the opposition 20+ shots every game which is a good return when you consider that Ederson who's team allow the opposition very few shots only has 1 more than him and Allisson despite being rated as the best keeper in the league has one less.

crossy1686

career ending
There's more chance of you starting in goal next season for Manchester United than David De Gea, and that's probably a good thing as I've seen De Gea play and haven't seen you play, so there is a large chance you would be better than him.
I love the faith, you’ve given me the confidence to audition.

I just have a weird feeling that they’ll see he’s still out of work, knows the club and will come back for peanuts. Let’s hope he’s settled at home in Madrid

RedRocket9908

I love the faith, you’ve given me the confidence to audition.

I just have a weird feeling that they’ll see he’s still out of work, knows the club and will come back for peanuts. Let’s hope he’s settled at home in Madrid
He still lives over here, there were some video's he released recently of him using the pitch at Altrincham FC for private training sessions.

lex talionis

I don't think it is an exaggeration, DDG was awful on the ball. If you believe that playing out from the back is overrated then fair enough, but there's no way we'd be able to do it with DDG.

You're wrong about what happened with DDG. He was originally offered another medium-long term contract on partially reduced wages that would still have made him the highest paid goalkeeper in the country.

Thankfully the club decided against yet another inflated contract for a player on the wane, which would have tied us to DDG for years (not like we could have offloaded him, given that he can't find a club on a free), and offered a short term contract more befitting a backup keeper, that DDG rejected.

Again, Onana doesn't look like the right replacement, but we did need a replacement.
Playing out of the back is overrated. Vastly overrated. You clearly want to see your defenders be able to handle pressure but consistently trying to break pressures with short passing out of the back invites too much danger and easy chances for the opposition, with little gain in return. Onana's footwork is superior to Dave's but we don't have the back line or the midfielders to capitalize on the perceived benefits of having a keeper who can hit short passes quickly. Many timbers have fallen to make us easy prey for clubs like Palace, but one of them was the downgrade in the keeper, the current keeper being poor at shot-stopping, which under every paradigm of goalkeeping is a crucial attribute to be successful as a keeper.

As for Dave's contract situation, you left out a key fact -- United withdrew the offer it made to Dave once he accepted it. Even if we concede Dave was awful on the ball, that's no excuse for treating him awfully, like trash.