Opposition fans: Pochettino or Solskjaer?

ti vu

Ole still has better stats than Pochettino (and Klopp for that matter) after their 1st year in Tottenham and Liverpool respectively. I find it puzzling that some of our fan's don't consider that before jumping the gun here.
You’re funny. Selective stats. How about context?

Klopp had Liverpool to went to League Cup & Europa League finals without a pre season during this 1 year mark. There was priority where some result was sacrificed for the sake of progression in League Cup, and Europa League campaign. Toward the end of his 1 year mark, his win rate had been on the upward, after a pre season. How his first full season ended, showed that Klopp got Liverpool meet the bare target 4th place!

When Ole was lucky that we had no League Cup and Europa League to deal with. Our journey in CL is just like under Moyes, no expectation, nothing to lose. A 3-1 win over PSG while receiving 3 defeats ain’t exactly good in the big picture. to qualified have a pre season to stall a bit of downward spiral, yet failed to build up anything. And as we speak, from the horse mouth, he sounded as if he had already given up on this season!

Bringing Pochettino stats of the first year is stupid. It’s comparing Apple to Orange. Why? He didn’t have a a free ride. He’s judged as manager coming to a full season with no test run. And last but not least he didn’t got much to spend to fix a messy squad of Tottenham. By 1 year time, he got it! Not publicly asking for time. He also got a League final in his first year.

The stats was compiled by@utdrobbo on Twitter
  • Solskjaer - 29W, 12D, 14L - 52.7% win rate
  • Klopp - 30W, 19D, 13L - 49.2% win rate
  • Pochettino - 29W, 13D, 17L - 49.2% win rate
Not exactly ground breaking when you see actually see the count of win, draw, defeat isn’t it? We knew Poch and Klopp improved this stats, and how their team played in that a year period. At the moment, Ole at one year mark is asking for time to reassess the squad (not even a promise to improve the result), and team is as disjointed as ever. Using stats like this is pretty amateur. Even students was taught to look at context than just complied percentage when looking at stats.

Ole was Liverpool fan alright. Next year thing will get done.

Last edited:

Peeping Tim

Supports
Liverpool
As an opposition supporter this question is directed at me, so it'd be rude not to answer. And I'd like to state, on record, that between Ole and Poch, I would absolutely prefer you guys to have Ole at the wheel. It's been glorious!

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
You’re funny. Selective stats. How about context?

Klopp had Liverpool to went to League Cup & Europa League finals without a pre season during this 1 year mark. There was priority where some result was sacrificed for the sake of progression in League Cup, and Europa League campaign. Toward the end of his 1 year mark, his win rate had been on the upward, after a pre season. How his first full season ended, showed that Klopp got Liverpool meet the bare target 4th place!

When Ole was lucky that we had no League Cup and Europa League to deal with. Our journey in CL is just like under Moyes, no expectation, nothing to lose. A 3-1 win over PSG while receiving 3 defeats ain’t exactly good in the big picture. to qualified have a pre season to stall a bit of downward spiral, yet failed to build up anything. And as we speak, from the horse mouth, he sounded as if he had already given up on this season!

Bringing Pochettino stats of the first year is stupid. It’s comparing Apple to Orange. Why? He didn’t have a a free ride. He’s judged as manager coming to a full season with no test run. And last but not least he didn’t got much to spend to fix a messy squad of Tottenham. By 1 year time, he got it! Not publicly asking for time. He also got a League final in his first year.

The stats was compiled by@utdrobbo on Twitter
  • Solskjaer - 29W, 12D, 14L - 52.7% win rate
  • Klopp - 30W, 19D, 13L - 49.2% win rate
  • Pochettino - 29W, 13D, 17L - 49.2% win rate
Not exactly ground breaking when you see actually see the count of win, draw, defeat isn’t it? We knew Poch and Klopp improved this stats, and how their team played in that a year period. At the moment, Ole at one year mark is asking for time to reassess the squad (not even a promise to improve the result), and team is as disjointed as ever. Using stats like this is pretty amateur. Even students was taught to look at context than just complied percentage when looking at stats.

Ole was Liverpool fan alright. Next year thing will get done.
The best thing about lazy oneliners (like mine) is that it opens up to every counter-argument there is to have. I've done that a few times the last few days and the replies are surprisingly hostile sometimes. Not that this post is especially angry but I sense that you got sufficiently triggered that you had to tell me how wrong i am for saying what i did. Which is fair enough.

You are making a lot of assumptions or pure conjecture with a few of these statements, when they can easily be applied to OGS as well. Apples and Oranges indeed.

Poch inherited a squad that had Harry Kane in it. Tottenham withour Harry Kane is essentially Bornemouth or Wolverhampton. He's so far and above anyone in goal production it's not even close. That output would never be replaced by a second tier forward. So by that metric alone, I am attributing a lot of Tottenham sucess to Harry Kane alone. Pochettino is a good manager. He also inheriaed one of the a all-time Premier League greats. Our team has a Marcus Rashford that until this season had never broken 13 goals on the season as spearhead.

Now, the only thing i said was that OGS had better statistics after 1 year. So of course you bring up context, to tell me why I'm wrong.

Then why is not the context of our recent loss of form applicable? Or more importantly, David De Gea's loss of form. Last season he was directly responsible for conceding 4 goals. 3 of which came in the pivotal series of 3 games when we lost our CL bid. We went from securing a place, to losing out in the blink of 2 weeks, because of De Geas direct involvement. Now it's of course unfair to pin the blame on our goalkeeper, he was phenomenal for the entirety of the season, except for the last 5-6 games, when it mattered the most.

As brilliant he was, De Gea is directly reponsible for Manchester United not playing in the Champions League this season.

Even this season, despite returning to his old self, he has given away 2 goals, most recently two awful involvements vs Watford. He gave away the 2-0 goal through an amateur fumble, and had the data he needed to know that the penalty taker would shoot down the middle, having done so three times in a row. But even if pining a penalty goal in the goaltender being a bit ridiculous, if he saves that, 2-0 never happens.

1-1 vs Everton. Lindelöf completely unpressured puts the goal in our own net. 'Freak goal.

Marcus Rashford missing so many high danger shots earlier in the season that the advanced metrics indicates he should have a higher goal tally than Jame Vardy.

Paul Pogba missing nearly half the season. And before anyone gives the ol' "Pogba missing doesn't matter". Just stop. You're saying that what players we put on the pitch barely matters.

See, I too can look at context, and appreciate that advanced data sets are fun. The fun part is that you can use it to defend nearly everything. Just like you go out of your way to defend other teams managers, and completely disregard our own.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
As an opposition supporter this question is directed at me, so it'd be rude not to answer. And I'd like to state, on record, that between Ole and Poch, I would absolutely prefer you guys to have Ole at the wheel. It's been glorious!
At least the games between the two teams so far have been entertaining with two draws. Hopefully we can end the trend at Anfield with a nice cozy 5-0 win.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
The best thing about lazy oneliners (like mine) is that it opens up to every counter-argument there is to have. I've done that a few times the last few days and the replies are surprisingly hostile sometimes. Not that this post is especially angry but I sense that you got sufficiently triggered that you had to tell me how wrong i am for saying what i did. Which is fair enough.

You are making a lot of assumptions or pure conjecture with a few of these statements, when they can easily be applied to OGS as well. Apples and Oranges indeed.

Poch inherited a squad that had Harry Kane in it. Tottenham withour Harry Kane is essentially Bornemouth or Wolverhampton. He's so far and above anyone in goal production it's not even close. That output would never be replaced by a second tier forward. So by that metric alone, I am attributing a lot of Tottenham sucess to Harry Kane alone. Pochettino is a good manager. He also inheriaed one of the a all-time Premier League greats. Our team has a Marcus Rashford that until this season had never broken 13 goals on the season as spearhead.

Now, the only thing i said was that OGS had better statistics after 1 year. So of course you bring up context, to tell me why I'm wrong.

Then why is not the context of our recent loss of form applicable? Or more importantly, David De Gea's loss of form. Last season he was directly responsible for conceding 4 goals. 3 of which came in the pivotal series of 3 games when we lost our CL bid. We went from securing a place, to losing out in the blink of 2 weeks, because of De Geas direct involvement. Now it's of course unfair to pin the blame on our goalkeeper, he was phenomenal for the entirety of the season, except for the last 5-6 games, when it mattered the most.

As brilliant he was, De Gea is directly reponsible for Manchester United not playing in the Champions League this season.

Even this season, despite returning to his old self, he has given away 2 goals, most recently two awful involvements vs Watford. He gave away the 2-0 goal through an amateur fumble, and had the data he needed to know that the penalty taker would shoot down the middle, having done so three times in a row. But even if pining a penalty goal in the goaltender being a bit ridiculous, if he saves that, 2-0 never happens.

1-1 vs Everton. Lindelöf completely unpressured puts the goal in our own net. 'Freak goal.

Marcus Rashford missing so many high danger shots earlier in the season that the advanced metrics indicates he should have a higher goal tally than Jame Vardy.

Paul Pogba missing nearly half the season. And before anyone gives the ol' "Pogba missing doesn't matter". Just stop. You're saying that what players we put on the pitch barely matters.

See, I too can look at context, and appreciate that advanced data sets are fun. The fun part is that you can use it to defend nearly everything. Just like you go out of your way to defend other teams managers, and completely disregard our own.
:lol: Ole in brigade are so desperate it is comical now. Kane was a nothing player before Poch transformed him into one of the best striker in the world. He was not as talented as Rashford, Greenwood or even James Wilson. Ole has Greenwood who is much more talented then Kane at the same age. Rashy at the same age was even producing better numbers and was more highly rated to started games.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Thanks for another cheerful thread on Xmas day @MaxiPaxi . Christmas cracker.
Would you prefer Solskjaer over Pochettino if you had to pick one?

I know you’re against sacking a manager for the sake of it, which I do think is a mistake clubs can make. There should always be a plan.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Feel free to cheer everyone up with more positivity on new year's day. I'd welcome it for one. Thanks in advance.
Feel free to put me on ignore, so you won't see my threads. Sorted.

TheReligion

Abusive
Would you prefer Solskjaer over Pochettino if you had to pick one?

I know you’re against sacking a manager for the sake of it, which I do think is a mistake clubs can make. There should always be a plan.
Id bring in Poch at the end of the season yes. That's not my point though. The negativity on here is depressing. It's Christmas Day and people can't seem to have a time out from it. The caf isn't a fun place for me anymore and most the people on seem to want to drag you down with them.

Course im not happy. I go to games and pay good money but yeah maybe I just have another outlook on things to others. So much unconstructive negativity. It's pointless.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
:lol: Ole in brigade are so desperate it is comical now. Kane was a nothing player before Poch transformed him into one of the best striker in the world. He was not as talented as Rashford, Greenwood or even James Wilson. Ole has Greenwood who is much more talented then Kane at the same age. Rashy at the same age was even producing better numbers and was more highly rated to started games.
So you are saying that OGS is responsible for transforming Rashford into (at current pace) a 20+ goalscorer then?

Why use belittling words to make your point though, can't you do it without having to resort to insults? Tell me why I'm, wrong instead.

The bolded is such an opinion statement. But even so. Greenwood has scored 7 this season. I'm not sure what the problem with Ole having Greenwood is exactly? The kid is 18.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Id bring in Poch at the end of the season yes. That's not my point though. The negativity on here is depressing. It's Christmas Day and people can't seem to have a time out from it. The caf isn't a fun place for me anymore and most the people on seem to want to drag you down with them.

Course im not happy. I go to games and pay good money but yeah maybe I just have another outlook on things to others. So much unconstructive negativity. It's pointless.
Yeah that’s fair. People are so reactionary nowadays instead of trying to get behind their teams. letting bad results influence their opinions dramatically. I’ve probably done it myself.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

You know whats negative, Religion? Ole wrapping his tits on xmas eve with still half a season left to play. I'd be way more positive if he came out and said that we will fight tooth and nail for every point from now until the end of the season, in every game and in every competition. I'd have loved to have heard that from him. His quotes from yesterday are garbage, so I think if you have a problem with negativity, criticise Ole, please.

I'm sorry, but I found them extremely irritating, defeatist and yet we hear about rebuilding this culture. Well he's certainly not sending the right message, just feels like he's trying to absolve himself of the abject results that he has served up since becoming permanent manager. I think his win percentage is second worst in history of the club, and you'd have to go back to 1930 to find worse if I recall correctly.

TheReligion

Abusive
You know whats negative, Religion? Ole wrapping his tits on xmas eve with still half a season left to play. I'd be way more positive if he came out and said that we will fight tooth and nail for every point from now until the end of the season, in every game and in every competition. I'd have loved to have heard that from him. His quotes from yesterday are garbage, so I think if you have a problem with negativity, criticise Ole, please.

I'm sorry, but I found them extremely irritating, defeatist and yet we hear about rebuilding this culture. Well he's certainly not sending the right message, just feels like he's trying to absolve himself of the abject results that he has served up since becoming permanent manager. I think his win percentage is second worst in history of the club, and you'd have to go back to 1930 to find worse if I recall correctly.
I get that and I didn't like the comments either. I just don't think a thread like this really helps or even adds to discussion. Everyone gets it. Everyone knows it. We just end up with a forum reiterating the same thing in a number of different ways. I appreciate some people come on here to vent, perhaps I do at times myself, but yeah the place is toxic and simply depressing at the moment and it really doesn't need to be.

OohAahMartial

I get that and I didn't like the comments either. I just don't think a thread like this really helps or even adds to discussion. Everyone gets it. Everyone knows it. We just end up with a forum reiterating the same thing in a number of different ways. I appreciate some people come on here to vent, perhaps I do at times myself, but yeah the place is toxic and simply depressing at the moment and it really doesn't need to be.
Hearing you on this one.

It was Winter Solstice a couple of days ago (which Christmas borrowed, along with other Pagan trappings such as Christmas Trees), which is the longest night of the year. It's darkest before dawn, and so the Solstice is celebrated as a return of the light.

The transfer window opens in a week's time, no new manager can influence that in time anyway, so why not give Ole a chance to get some players in to correct what we've all seen as our problems--problems which no doubt every one of our coaching and recruitment team have seen just as clearly as all of us, and reasonably, much clearer and more detailed/data driven than the best of our critiques--and give Woodward a chance to pay Ole back for being patient with being sold short in the Summer market by selling players right at the end of the window, not replacing players when he was promising exits would all be replaced. And of course, we literally have only just got Pogba back at long last, and he instantly made us a more creative team. Maybe it is his last 6 months at the club, can't we all just enjoy his magic while we can?

There's still time to turn this around. The league is tighter than ever, just a few wins on the trot, and we are in 5th, a good run and 4th is doable. With a bit of luck, might bag a Cup too. Next Summer we can clear out the remaining deadwood and fix the weaknesses in the team and squad--with the knowledge of which young players are ready, which need loaning, which 1st team players are genuinely good enough or just squad material.

Spring is coming.

ti vu

So you are saying that OGS is responsible for transforming Rashford into (at current pace) a 20+ goalscorer then?

Why use belittling words to make your point though, can't you do it without having to resort to insults? Tell me why I'm, wrong instead.

The bolded is such an opinion statement. But even so. Greenwood has scored 7 this season. I'm not sure what the problem with Ole having Greenwood is exactly? The kid is 18.

Kane was not considered as wonder kid. No team sniffing around him when he was sent out on loan. Not on Martial level of hype. Not even Rashford, Sancho, Lukaku... Not in England NT until he’s established under Poch. Without hindsight, I don’t see how Harry Kane was so assurance for Poch coming into his first season with so little backing, and a test run. Harry Kane ain’t start for first few months into the first season. Even people being skeptical for a season wonder type. @GladstonSpurs is the sole debater in Harry Kane thread at that time, you can ask him.

Kane ain’t just a 20+ goals in all competition. He had been fighting consistently for top scorer in PL bar last season. It’s not just Harry Kane, it’s about complete a functional team within a year time, so there is AllI who broke through at young age, sharing the scoring load, solidifying the defense while improving the ability to play out from the back at the same time... All that without much spending in the first season! The work earns him the time, not begging.

DDG had been rubbish. Ole had test run and a summer to think about it. He played part in DDG extension when we had a very good back up in Romero, and a young GK on loan at Sheffield United. Ole can’t make tough decision then he has himself to blame.

LLoris was error prone as well, even long into Poch reign. LLoris improved, Poch improved the defensive system. That was evidently in his very first year.

What’s with the Pogba missing part of the season? As if other managers hadn’t dealt with injury. Remember how Kane had just injury a riddled season. Tottenham still made top 4 and reached CL final. Remember the season before, Mourinho didn’t have Pogba for part of the season too, first due to hamstring issue, then the fall out, and finished second (loser). People here didn’t accept that excuse for Mourinho back then. Why now for Ole? Pogba wasn’t that good toward the end last season and at the beginning of his season. He had quality patches, but on consistency term, he has been worse than when he first came back, even liable with his sloppy passing from deep.

You can concede freak goals, but if you’re good enough, you can make up at the other ends. In long run, the average would bring out the true reality. This excuses of freak goal conceded and should have gotten more goal are the same things that L’pool fans had been talking to excuse their failure. Check out their tune now. If anything, you sound more like a Liverpool in disguise taking a piss with United dire situation.

There is nothing context with your argument is full of excuse. Poch and Klopp at the end of their first years showed their progress. There is evidence to show. Ole already reached a year. Progress? People on another metrics comparing to Mourinho’s worst, and Ole did no better. How did that even add up?

I don’t see any insult in my previous and @Amadaeus. If anything, you’re too insensitive. Everyone can see.

Last edited:

shahzy

Only Rose tinted United fans can possibly say Ole. The rest of the world who look at it logically know its a no contest really

billybee99

If we're going to talk about "context", then how about we talk about the trajectory of year one for these guys because Ole's trajectory is going in the wrong direction. All, and I do mean all, of his success came in those first 12 games or so. His record since then is shocking. We have only 30 points in our last 25 games. Most people like myself would argue he benefited from the new manager bounce in that initial period; there is a reason that the term exists; it's a real thing. Since then, it has gotten worse and worse. People love to bring up the injuries but as more and more people come back from injury, we continue to play poorly and I don't expect much to change when Pogba returns. He'll win us a few games but we will continue to hover around 7th or 8th.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
After 18 games in his first full season, following a summer net spend of approximately £70m, Ole has 25 points.

After 18 games in his first full season, following a summer net spend of approximately £1m, Klopp had 40 points.
While I agree that Klopp > Ole, and Liverpool's multi-year Fenway Group project has been genius... while United has rotten hierarchy and no real project, I feel very sorry for people who think football performance is adequately represented by some dead, out-of-context, pointless numbers.

At the end of the day, Ole isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. So United fans amongst us may as well watch the games instead of chasing stats, try to enjoy the good ones, and root for the club we love. If you are enjoying pointless hatred and online activism, please direct those towards Woodward and clueless board.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
The mental gymnastics when comparing Ole to Klopp are something else... :lol:

I guess is because I don't support Manchester United I don't see anything remotely special about him but again maybe that's the reason he got the job on the first place given how tolerant the fans are with him and that's about it. Football wise I don't think United is going to improve under him regardless of how many seasons he's in charge and even if he does an 'ok' you would then wonder what could have been if all those resources and time were given to a better qualified manager. I could be wrong but I definitely think he's going to get sacked eventually and is going to be a matter of how ugly things will have to get in order for United sack him or he could just resign himself. Anyway it hasn't to be Poch to begin with as upgrading on Ole isn't a hard feature to begin with.

lemmiwink

Is this a serious question?

I don’t see how this is a comparison at all. I’d rather have Tony Pulis, Neil Warnock or Steve Kean over Ole. Scratch that, I’d take Ole over Kean.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
This Pochettino nonsense is never going to die is it? It's not really about who is the better manager out of him or Ole.

The only current question is whether to give Ole more time. Until the answer to that from the club is no then Pochettino just isn't part of the discussion. If Klopp or some modern equivalent of Sir Alex was floating around without a club that would be different, but Pochettino is not in this category, or even remotely near it.

If you're going to sack a manager JUST to replace him with a specific target, it really shouldn't be someone who has literally done worse than your current manager over the same period of time you've employed them, never won a trophy, and who has already literally been sacked this season for failing to do the exact same thing you want your manager to do.

Pochettino has not proven anything in terms of being able to be a success at United, and this forum's insistence on pretending he has isn't going to magically make it true. Just like pretending Van Gaal was a genius for a year and a half mysteriously didn't make that true either (and at least that nonsense only started up AFTER he was announced as our manager). Some of the stuff on here is based on fantasy and borderline obsessive. It's weird. Pochettino had Spurs playing absolute dogshite football and producing midtable results for OVER A YEAR, and then got sacked for this reason. This is something that happened. His club have literally employed the guy we sacked to try and sort it out. I mean, this is a pretty significant detail to ignore.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but at the time of Solskjærs appointment it was a logical decision because of the fantastic results.

I think his job is probably the hardest in club football right now. Massive expectations, a frustrated and divided fan base, and a bit if a mess on the pitch. Who knows if it's the manager, the squad, or the Glazers and Woodward who is the problem, or a bit of it all?

The balance of your squad is not right. Your midfield is a right mess, your forwards are young and inconsistent, and you're still lacking goals despite reinforcements. I can't see what he is trying to do. What is his plan? You are a great counter attacking side, but if he doesn't know how to make you dominate the lesser sides then he will be in trouble sooner or later.

You never know in football, but I can't see him being the one to bring you back at the top. I'm not sure Pochettino is the right either, but he has proven a lot more than Solskjær, so right now it's a no contest tbh.

But Solskjær is a legend of yours. He gets your club and he is a nice person so I understand your sentiments.

Runaway Sue

What? What has he proven?
Are you for real? I know you are norwegian, but come on, you cant see Poch is waaaaaaaay ahead of the failed Cardiffand Molde (lol) manager? You do know who Magnus Haglund is, dont you? Would you like to see him as our next manager? His cv is comparable with Oles, a bit better maybe, and he didnt have the chance of relegating a team in the PL

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Ole still has better stats than Pochettino (and Klopp for that matter) after their 1st year in Tottenham and Liverpool respectively. I find it puzzling that some of our fan's don't consider that before jumping the gun here.
Let’s hope united’s board feels the same way. Two more transfer windows then see where you are.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
13 January 2019, Tottenham gets their behinds handed to them by Ole's Man United, at the height of Tottenham's best run of form under Poch. But sure, let's hear how Ole is a loser and Poch is a genius. Haters gonna hate.
We had 39 percent possession and faced 21 shots out of which DDG made a dozen world class saves. We hung on for dear life most of the game. The delusion is really strong or the weed is. I don't know which.

AungAung

Supports
Liverpool
So, oppo fans, If your club had a similar crisis to United's and you had Ole or a club legend like Dalglish or Di Matteo say, at the helm; but Pochettino was just waiting there to take over, which manager would you pick? Would you sack your current manager and legend now and hire Poch, or let them try to do the rebuild that they talk about, buy into it, and ultimately stick by them?
Between Ole and Pochettino, if i were a United supporter, I would take Pochettino every time.

For me, even the comparisons with Dalglish or Di Matteo are not completely fair. Di Matteo won UCL during his half season , even if you say it is a fluke win. Ole beat PSG but lost next round to Barca, can't even fluke Man Utd to a final, let alone win it. Di Matteo also won FA cup as well.

For Dalglish, he won league titles and doubles in his previous stint and also won EPL with blackburn. So Dalglish, apart from being a bit outdated due to being away from managing clubs for a long time, his past managerial record is far better compared to Ole. The only similarity between them is they are both club legends. Although the results back then were bad, I had no problem if the club gave Dalglish more time instead of replacing him with Rodgers. I didn't rate Rodgers that much higher especially the way his tenure tailed off after Suarez left. He might have improved now but he wasnt that good back then. I might be a bit more willing if a guy like Pochettino was waiting back then.

I am not saying Ole is bad, he might learn and improve with time and ended up being successful, but i think it will take long even with the financial power of united.

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool
I don't think Pochettino is an amazing manager, but I think he's worlds ahead of Ole.

For me, Pochettino got a little too much credit for taking over at a time when Kane and a few other players were just coming into their own. He did a good job of motivating them and putting them into position to succeed, but it's not as if he developed Kane, Eriksen, etc. into the stars they became. Poch didn't have great financial support, but his biggest transfers were largely unimpressive, and he failed to really rebuild the squad as some key players aged. He's the type who could maintain a club that's already on solid footing, but not one who will lead a successful rebuild, IMO. I don't think he would fit well at United, even if he would do a better job than Ole.

Ole seems to understand United's issues, and what needs to be fixed on a macro level, but I think he seems clueless on how to implement the changes. United fans give him a lot of credit for their transfer success, but I think AWB is extremely limited going forward, and would not do well on top teams that are looking for their fullbacks to contribute to the attack. Similarly, Maguire is very slow, which hinders him for ambitious teams that look to press and keep a high line. He could contribute for Liverpool or City, but there's no way either one would've come close to matching the fee United paid, as he's not a VVD or Laporte, who can anchor a defense. James was a nice purchase for the price, but he's technically limited and should not be more than a quality sub to come in at tired, stretched defenses for the last 20-30 minutes.

I think very, very few managers could succeed at a high level given United's current management setup, though. If you look at the well-run clubs, such as City (they were doing pretty well before Pep), Atletico, and the Red Bull clubs, you see a structure with a well-articulated recruitment strategy and high-level professionals in different departments. With red bull, coaches and players have been moving between the NY, Salzburg, and Leipzig clubs with great success, as they all try to play the same way, and have it taught throughout all levels of the organization.

Woodward insists that they have a recruitment system set up, and I believe him for the most part, but it seems like they are still relying on Ole to determine the style of play, which is very naive, IMO. he came in talking about playing an aggressive style of play, but a year in and all they can do is cede possession and hope to counter.

IMO, United's only hope for high level success can come from finding a super-manager like Pep or Klopp, who can implement their own vision (although both benefit substantially from their clubs' structures), or completely rebuild the club's organizational structure and hire top DoF, recruitment analysts, youth coaches, etc. to determine an implement a style of play. Right now, even the good managers (of which there are few) like Allegri, Pochettino, and Conte would struggle to achieve more than Mourinho did, IMO.

NewGlory

We had 39 percent possession and faced 21 shots out of which DDG made a dozen world class saves. We hung on for dear life most of the game. The delusion is really strong or the weed is. I don't know which.
Posession, shmosession. We had dominant posession in every game we lost, this season, and those are losses Ole is being criticized for.

So sometimes win is a win and sometimes possession is a win? Get your facts straight, mate

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Posession, shmosession. We had dominant posession in every game we lost, this season, and those are losses Ole is being criticized for.

So sometimes win is a win and sometimes possession is a win? Get your facts straight, mate
Haha...you said we handed them their asses or something similarly asinine. We did not. We scraped a win. Get your words straight.

NewGlory

Haha...you said we handed them their asses or something similarly asinine. We did not. We scraped a win. Get your words straight.
We won. End of story. Stop drooling over that half-baked Pochettino and support the manager we have. He is better than what our club even deserves right now. At least he truly cares and there are consistent wins to prove he is capable, but you would rather clicketty clack on your keyboard and trash him, then appreciate that he is trying to give us joy under very difficult circumstances?

We were all heartbroken with Watford and other losses. You are not the only one. But that is not the whole story. The story continues

jamesjimmybyrondean

I'd give Ole the season and hire Pochettino when the season ends. Pochettino would be under alot of pressure to perform immediately if he comes right now.

Ole may not know it and he may be planning for the squad next season with him as the manager but he's really doing a good work in laying the groundwork for someone like Poch to take over next season. Imagine Pochettino managing Martial Rashford Wan Bissaka Mcctominay Fred Pogba James Maguire Tuanzebe Greenwood Williams. We even play pressing system that Pochettino does also albeit not very good. It might be happening indirectly but the squad Ole is building for next season is a squad that a Pochettino can work with

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Hard question for me to answer as Pochettino will never manage Barcelona ( even though that won't stop some putting his name forward as a Barcelona boss). I'll answer this as if I was a United fan and say that I have doubts that either of them are the answer for United.