Opposition fans: Pochettino or Solskjaer?

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Poch would be the better choice. A better and more proven manager IMO.

With that said, I don’t think that Ole is as bad as people say.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The standards has dropped significantly here. It is disappointed to see. However, the season it is not over. Ole can still win Europa League, fa cup and league cup, plus finish in top 4. If Ole fails to meet similar targets sets by previous managers then he should be sacked. There is no reason why we should give Ole more time to rebuild when our result with him has been worse than our past four managers so far.
Yeah but I doubt he’ll get sacked if he doesn’t make top 4 because all the excuses have already been made and the bar has already been lowered. If we achieve top 6 with OGS this season, some would already hail it as a miracle. More importantly, I think he has Woodward’s support because a 4th managerial sacking and pay out will turn a lot of the heat back on the CEO.

So unless we finish bottom half (still possible, but quite unlikely due to us having much better players and as teams positions 5-10 are quite inconsistent and not a lot of points separating them/us - a couple of good weeks and suddenly we can find ourselves 4-5 points off top4).

All in all, I’d honestly love Ole to be successful here, but I just don’t see it. But I also don’t see him getting sacked anytime soon. He’ll get another summer at the very least, in all likelihood.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Sorry to detail and I know it’s probably because you’re not aware of the word (as I’d suspect a lot of people on here aren’t) but could I ask you to please not use that abbreviation or word. It’s highly derogatory towards black people here in South Africa.
I am very sorry. I just meant the members of the RedCafe forum, which is often abbreviated as Caf. Didn't know it was a derogatory word. My apologies, again.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I am very sorry. I just meant the members of the RedCafe forum, which is often abbreviated as Caf. Didn't know it was a derogatory word. My apologies, again.
No need to apologise bud. I wouldn’t suspect most people would be aware anyway! All good. No worries at all man. Thanks for understanding.

NewGlory

And Utd are the only team to take points off Liverpool this season so far. Great! If being 2018/2019 Wolves is the height of your ambition these days then it's good news for your immediate rivals.
No, mate. Height of our ambition was when we were winning consecutive league titles, while Liverpool was having a 20-year drought. But you have to start somewhere. Also, some people here seem to have problem with listening. Nobody said any United fan is happy right now. All I am saying - clueless coaches don't win big games. We are in trouble, but that doesn't mean Ole is an idiot who can't win anything. He clearly can win games, but we need some fixes. It's not all black and white, there're a lot of shades of gray and the reality is much more complex than "ugh, Ole is clueless".

NewGlory

Imagine the meltdown if this did happen.

It would be legendary.
He would rather cut his limbs than betray Pool like that :) Gerrard is a proper legend of his team. He understands the history.

He is probably gonna be Liverpool's manager after Klopp is gone.

vkd

Supports
liverpool
I think this conversation has to start with Woody. Let's face it he's 100% a Liverpool fan.

Been doing everything by the book to stay in power, make money and let it all go to waste.

About Ole - it's a joke really. He has no credentials to be a United manager. How is this even a debate?

As a Liverpool fan myself I would absolutely hate Poch to become the new United manager.

He would play attractive football, be given time due to that, will sort the squad fast with United's money and

we will have an insane rivalry that will outdo Boca - River, and Red Star - Partizan.

p.s. If I have to pick football-wise what I'm most grateful for happening in the last 5 years, I'd go :

1. Klopp
2. Woody
3. Ole - he's levels below Moyes in my opinion. Insane appointment. This is Manchester United ffs not Cardiff.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
No, mate. Height of our ambition was when we were winning consecutive league titles, while Liverpool was having a 20-year drought. But you have to start somewhere. Also, some people here seem to have problem with listening. Nobody said any United fan is happy right now. All I am saying - clueless coaches don't win big games. We are in trouble, but that doesn't mean Ole is an idiot who can't win anything. He clearly can win games, but we need some fixes. It's not all black and white, there're a lot of shades of gray and the reality is much more complex than "ugh, Ole is clueless".
Well, Roy Hodgson has a great away record against top 6 in the last few years. The problem for Utd is that even in their current state, for most teams a point against them is a good result and they are happy to sit back and deny your fast players space to run into. Now, this is a genuine question because I don't watch Utd matches unless it's against us. What can you point to and say, look Ole has made these tactical/personnel changes to combat the absolutely predictable strategy of the opponents? Whether it worked or not is irrelevant. I just want to know what he's tried to do differently.

NewGlory

Well, Roy Hodgson has a great away record against top 6 in the last few years. The problem for Utd is that even in their current state, for most teams a point against them is a good result and they are happy to sit back and deny your fast players space to run into. Now, this is a genuine question because I don't watch Utd matches unless it's against us. What can you point to and say, look Ole has made these tactical/personnel changes to combat the absolutely predictable strategy of the opponents? Whether it worked or not is irrelevant. I just want to know what he's tried to do differently.
That's fair. I don't think Ole is better than Hodgson, or anywhere near Klopp's level, but if he is as good as Hodgson… do you think Hodgson is clueless, or an idiot of a coach?

ForeverRoma93

Supports
A.S. Roma
I guess you'd look at this in a number of different verticals and who you feel is better in each:

1. Style of play - Poch
  2. Recruitment - Both even in my opinion
  3. Defensive Organisation - Poch
  4. Attack/Counter Attack - Poch
  5. Integration of youth - Both even in my opinion
  6. Big game tactics (City, Liverpool, Chelsea) - As of late, Ole (though shouldn't discredit the City QF for Poch)
This is just half a dozen verticals from the top of my head but clearly i'd be leaning with Poch more. Good football, good recruitment with a long term view.

While Ole has bought few players over the summer, the 3 who he did sign in my opinion are doing well and the intergration of the youth players is good to see. I feel you went from a very static attack last year to a more mobile one where James, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood can interchange positions and are very quick on the counter. He's done very well in the big games, you need to learn how to be a flat track bully again.

Siorac

That's fair. I don't think Ole is better than Hodgson, or anywhere near Klopp's level, but if he is as good as Hodgson… do you think Hodgson is clueless, or an idiot of a coach?
Wait, so you are backing Solskjaer with your best hope being that he'll turn out to be as good as Hodgson?

BigRedScouser

Supports
Liverpool
Honestly...

I've been enjoying reading your forum lately. I'm absolutely baffled at the level of support Solskjaer has. I understand the sentiment in wanting to be patient and being glad to have a coach with a long-term plan... But really? That's enough? There's nothing about Solskjaer to suggest he is a coach that you will progress with. Everyone I know was absolutely made up when he got the job permanently and he's proving why.

Pochetino is someone who has a long-term plan and a vision for the way a team should be coached, as well as a track record of getting the best out of the players he has and elevating them. He seems like the perfect fit for a club trying to rebuild.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Ole should be given the resources to build a team of his liking before being judged. He's played half a season without Pogba and Lukaku(or a striker at a similar level).

NewGlory

Wait, so you are backing Solskjaer with your best hope being that he'll turn out to be as good as Hodgson?
No. I am saying people who paint him as clueless coach that isn't even EPL level, are full of shit. He is a smart coach, at least on par with average EPL coaches. Whether he is one of the greats or not, and even if he is - whether he can turn United around (because some greats have already failed at it) - remains to be seen. It's too soon to judge.

And besides, nobody is asking us whether to sack Ole or not. He is clearly not going anywhere until the Summer. Y'all should seriously stop acting like RedCafe is United's board and Woodward is checking temperature here every day to make his decisions. Somebody recently wrote that "Ole enablers are making things worse" - I don't know where to even start analyzing such ridiculousness. Um, yeah - if nobody defended Ole on RedCafe he would be sacked by now... Come on!

Centenary Boy

Supports
Liverpool
I'm not sure either of them will do the sort of job you want them to, but if it's a binary choice between the two, Pochettino every time. He's a top-level, albeit slightly overrated coach. Solskjær is out of his depth.

Amerifan

Yeah, that is a dreamland. Not only Klopp is at a whole different level, but Liverpool's rebuild has been significantly supported by scientific/analytical/statistical model that Fenway Group and the new owners brought to Liverpool from Baseball. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/magazine/soccer-data-liverpool.html

We don't have anything like that. Comparing our current situation to Liverpool's rebuild is definitely not serious.
Agree. Ole has shown nothing to justify comparisons with arguably the top manager in the world right now. That the Fenway Group is more accomplished in sport than the Glazers is also not open to argument. The question before us is whether Ole is good enough to lead us to some reasonable definition of success.

NewGlory

Agree. Ole has shown nothing to justify comparisons with arguably the top manager in the world right now. That the Fenway Group is more accomplished in sport than the Glazers is also not open to argument. The question before us is whether Ole is good enough to lead us to some reasonable definition of success.
Yeah, curious to find that out. Clearly he will be given some time, despite all the "protests" on RedCafe :D, so we should be able to see what happens :)

jamesjimmybyrondean

No. I am saying people who paint him as clueless coach that isn't even EPL level, are full of shit. He is a smart coach, at least on par with average EPL coaches. Whether he is one of the greats or not, and even if he is - whether he can turn United around (because some greats have already failed at it) - remains to be seen. It's too soon to judge.

And besides, nobody is asking us whether to sack Ole or not. He is clearly not going anywhere until the Summer. Y'all should seriously stop acting like RedCafe is United's board and Woodward is checking temperature here every day to make his decisions. Somebody recently wrote that "Ole enablers are making things worse" - I don't know where to even start analyzing such ridiculousness. Um, yeah - if nobody defended Ole on RedCafe he would be sacked by now... Come on!
"Whether he can turn United around remains to be seen". You said it yourself mate. We hired a manager from Norwegian league that has no track record of ever rebuilding a team and we tell him to rebuild one of the biggest teams in the world. The same problem we had with Moyes and Mourinho. We hire managers and tell them to rebuild when they have no track records of rebuilding a team. Van Gaal was a has been

Mourinho and Moyes, they failed because they have no track record of rebuilding a team as unstable as ours. And Ole has that in common with them too. That is why he is going to fail.

If you think appointing Ole was the right choice because we've tried world class managers in the past and they failed then you're wrong. Appointing Ole is as bad as appointing Mourinho because they both don't know how to rebuild.

Amerifan

Well put. I support Ole, and will continue to support him until he is no longer in the job. What’s the point of complaining about a situation I can’t change? We should all be behind Ole and hoping for the best.

NewGlory

"Whether he can turn United around remains to be seen". You said it yourself mate. We hired a manager from Norwegian league that has no track record of ever rebuilding a team and we tell him to rebuild one of the biggest teams in the world. The same problem we had with Moyes and Mourinho. We hire managers and tell them to rebuild when they have no track records of rebuilding a team. Van Gaal was a has been

Mourinho and Moyes, they failed because they have no track record of rebuilding a team as unstable as ours. And Ole has that in common with them too. That is why he is going to fail.

If you think appointing Ole was the right choice because we've tried world class managers in the past and they failed then you're wrong. Appointing Ole is as bad as appointing Mourinho because they both don't know how to rebuild.
Well, I was shocked when he was appointed even as a caretaker. But if there's one thing true about football it is that – there are never any guarantees. So one way to look at it is - enjoy the ride, when there is some intrigue. There was nothing to enjoy with LvG, that guy was boring as feck. With Ole it's actually quite entertaining. Obviously, it's heartbreaking to lose to shite teams, but if you admit that we are not a top team anymore, anyway - you can find pleasure in rooting for an underdog. Ole is an underdog, and he is neither a clear win (far from it), nor a clear loss. The odds of his success are actually much higher than some here think. It's still just odds, but they are higher, and that is the fun part. That guy has something that could turn into success. It is interesting to see if it does. Given that he is being given time anyway, we might as well try to root for him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
And Klopp. The only team Liverpool lost points with this year was us, and we really should have won that game. It was a stupid fluke of a chance to concede the goal from them. We beat them with our game - we beat the strongest team in the world, currently!

Have expectations dropped so much that some people are considering a 1-1 home draw, in which we massively went defensive in the second half, to be a win!?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Ole still has better stats than Pochettino (and Klopp for that matter) after their 1st year in Tottenham and Liverpool respectively. I find it puzzling that some of our fan's don't consider that before jumping the gun here.

devlinadl

Ole still has better stats than Pochettino (and Klopp for that matter) after their 1st year in Tottenham and Liverpool respectively. I find it puzzling that some of our fan's don't consider that before jumping the gun here.
After 18 games in his first full season, following a summer net spend of approximately £70m, Ole has 25 points.

After 18 games in his first full season, following a summer net spend of approximately £1m, Klopp had 40 points.

clarkydaz

Honestly...

I've been enjoying reading your forum lately. I'm absolutely baffled at the level of support Solskjaer has. I understand the sentiment in wanting to be patient and being glad to have a coach with a long-term plan... But really? That's enough? There's nothing about Solskjaer to suggest he is a coach that you will progress with. Everyone I know was absolutely made up when he got the job permanently and he's proving why.

Pochetino is someone who has a long-term plan and a vision for the way a team should be coached, as well as a track record of getting the best out of the players he has and elevating them. He seems like the perfect fit for a club trying to rebuild.
plenty of fans leaving the ground home/away are fuming and have no time for his free pass. I guess it hurts more when you are following them around the country being subjected to it

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Well, Ole in brigade is a case in point to how delusional our fan base are when it comes to Ole. All this from a fairly well adjusted individuals who lose all train of thought when it comes to Solskjaer. There was a poster who predicted that his run might bite us in the ass and I thought he was nuts at the time but he's an oracle. I'd love to remember who it was.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Coaches are overrated. Neither makes much of a difference. Apart from maybe 10 of them all coaches are about as good as the sum of their players.

King Eric 7

For this argument to have any sort of balance whatsoever, it should be: Pardew or Solskjaer?

BrownRecluse

Supports
Liverpool
If I had to choose between the two: Poch.
He did a great job at Tottenham, and with United’s spending power he would be a force to be reckoned with. That being said, United’s troubles are due to much more than the manager. It’s approaching clean slate territory.

Fridge chutney

This thread sums up how unenjoyable this forum is recently. Liverpool fans openly gloating how shit we are. Thankfully transfer season is around the corner.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
You mean the match going fans? You do realize support for this club exists outside of the caf and twitter
Yes they're hilariously deluded too. They'll come around when there is nothing left to play for this season. Maybe not even then.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Really simple. Right now if you got Poch tomorrow I would be somewhat worried about united next season competing after the winter and summer transfer windows.
With Ole I just worry about united taking points of us in the match at OT next season.