Opposition fans view - Louis van Gaal

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
There was always a feeling, since he was appointed, among other club supporters I've spoken to that van Gaal was the wrong choice to replace Moyes in the first place. A lot of this was based on the reputation he's garnered among ex-Netherlands players and coaches as being a stubborn, past it coach with little or no new ideas.

This thread might be a bit too late in the day, but what are your views on his future at United. Do you feel he can challenge for the title this year? Is he the right man for the next couple of years for United?

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I had Chelsea/City/Arsenal for the title at the start of the season, and City/Arsenal for it now. I don't think United have a chance with that attack, but LvG can't moan given the time and money he's been allowed to spend.

If Moyes had the time & resources LvG had, he wouldn't be doing any worse than this.

Minimalist

I don't think the majority of them had a clue.

Certainly plenty of them were wary given his results with Holland at the World Cup.

I wouldn't take any notice of any Captain Hindsights you might see now popping up.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I don't think the majority of them had a clue.

Certainly plenty of them were wary given his results with Holland at the World Cup.

I wouldn't take any notice of any Captain Hindsights you might see now popping up.
Definitely not hindsight. With all the frothing over him in the English media there were a few journalists and fans who didn't think it was going to be as brilliant a ride as suggested.

Red_toad

I had Chelsea/City/Arsenal for the title at the start of the season, and City/Arsenal for it now. I don't think United have a chance with that attack, but LvG can't moan given the time and money he's been allowed to spend.

If Moyes had the time & resources LvG had, he wouldn't be doing any worse than this.
What exactly do you base this on? Moyes had lost the dressing room & his purchases have not exactly set the world on fire. Moyes was a massive failure & I'm amazed some are saying they'd rather have Moyes back. Astounding!

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
We hope he stays at Utd for the whole tenure of his contract. That says it all really.

By the way can Utd fans please only respond to non-Utd fans' feelings on LvG and not express their own. There are enough LvG Bash Up threads on the main forum.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Definitely not hindsight. With all the frothing over him in the English media there were a few journalists and fans who didn't think it was going to be as brilliant a ride as suggested.
No one expected it to be brilliant and easy. Everyone and their dog knew that he is going to be stubborn and rigid.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Honestly have not seen much of an improvement on what Moyes did and considering the context, he really is lucky to be in a job. If the football was better you'd be a bit more forgiving but watching United play nowadays more often than not you quickly lose interest in the game. His faith in Rooney was ridiculous, any general football fan could have told you going into the season with your striking options, given the money available, was criminal.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Would like to read the opinions of Bayern Munich and Barcelona supporters, because our situation right now is similar (in part) to what happened at those two clubs. Particularly his second season at Bayern, and his second stint at Barcelona - and the effect him leaving had on the morale/ performances of the team, and in terms of European qualification (which might be in jeopardy if this keeps up - maybe it's a kneejerk reaction but it's not a possibility we can discount any more given our form over the past month or so). Largely because Wolfsburg/ Bournemouth in conjunction has proven to be a watershed moment for a lot of supporters, with a significant portion of our fanbase now divided between - a) Letting Louis go at the end of the season; and b) Letting him go if results don't pick up pronto (the next month so so?), and replacing him with someone just before the winter transfer window expires (don't know who that might be but Ancelotti is a popular choice - though that might rule out Pep from taking over in the summer/ 2017 unless Carlo is a stopgap - and I don't suppose he will take over a short term bandage appointment FWIW). Just fan opinion mind, not something the club might consider realistically speaking.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
What exactly do you base this on? Moyes had lost the dressing room & his purchases have not exactly set the world on fire. Moyes was a massive failure & I'm amazed some are saying they'd rather have Moyes back. Astounding!
Moyes' season had a really difficult start IIRC, and after 16 games, United had 25 points. In comes LvG, more than £200m and a season extra under his belt, an easier fixture list, and all he can manage is 29 points.

Give Moyes another 12 months and £200m in players, and he'd find 4 points from somewhere, too.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
He sits on the sidelines, endlessly scribbling in his notebook, and never gets to feet: he communicates to the players all the passion and connection of a wax-works dummy. On top of that he makes bizarre substitutions, bizarre team selections and spouts bizarre "philosophical" bollocks in interviews. Not to mention the vast sums of money spent.

Basically he comes across as cold, disconnected, old-fashioned, out-of-touch, stubborn and arrogant. Long may he stay at United.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
If you go to the LVG Out Thread poll, 21 people voted to extend his contract. Of those, at least 8 (Donaldo, B20, Vato, Eboue, BobbyManc, Cheech Wizard, fcbforever, and Manchester Dan) are opposition fans. That should tell you a bit about how he's doing and how opposition fans feel.

C'est Moi Cantona

He sits on the sidelines, endlessly scribbling in his notebook, and never gets to feet: he communicates to the players all the passion and connection of a wax-works dummy. On top of that he makes bizarre substitutions, bizarre team selections and spouts bizarre "philosophical" bollocks in interviews. Not to mention the vast sums of money spent.

Basically he comes across as cold, disconnected, old-fashioned, out-of-touch, stubborn and arrogant. Long may he stay at United.
If it wasn't for us nabbing him he could have been yours, you have alot to thank United for.... so much in fact you should sell us Kane.

Raw

If it wasn't for us nabbing him he could have been yours, you have alot to thank United for.... so much in fact you should sell us Kane.
Have to admit I'd love Pochettino at Utd right now. Obviously it would have been mental to get him at the time, but that's hindsight for you.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Honestly thought that he wasn't doing that bad a job until this run of atrocious form where the decisions he made in the summer are coming to bite him back in the arse. Aye, you haven't been helped by injuries but his stubbornness is astounding. He settled the foundations well but he's suddenly taking one step forwards and two steps back. He was only meant to be a short term appointment but his tenure is looking shorter each day.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
we lack talent however we should be doing better than this

devilish

Honestly thought that he wasn't doing that bad a job until this run of atrocious form where the decisions he made in the summer are coming to bite him back in the arse. Aye, you haven't been helped by injuries but his stubbornness is astounding. He settled the foundations well but he's suddenly taking one step forwards and two steps back. He was only meant to be a short term appointment but his tenure is looking shorter each day.
which decisions exactly?

His biggest mistake was not bringing in more players. Having said that we dont know if the club had stopped him from doing so

C'est Moi Cantona

Have to admit I'd love Pochettino at Utd right now. Obviously it would have been mental to get him at the time, but that's hindsight for you.
Indeed it is, we were all laughing at Spurs when we got LvG when they thought they would, now they're laughing at us, and rightly so.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
which decisions exactly?

His biggest mistake was not bringing in more players. Having said that we dont know if the club had stopped him from doing so
Ding ding ding. Also Hernandez/Van Persie leaving, either he keeps one of them or he buys another striker.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

even this idiot feels sorry for us now.
I think the time I saw Carragher ranting about how crap we were under Moyes was the time I knew his game was up.

We're getting close to that with Van Gaal now.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
There was always a feeling, since he was appointed, among other club supporters I've spoken to that van Gaal was the wrong choice to replace Moyes in the first place. A lot of this was based on the reputation he's garnered among ex-Netherlands players and coaches as being a stubborn, past it coach with little or no new ideas.

This thread might be a bit too late in the day, but what are your views on his future at United. Do you feel he can challenge for the title this year? Is he the right man for the next couple of years for United?
I have been skeptical not mainly because of his stubborness but because I remembered, as mentioned in the match day thread, that Uli Hoeneß stressed during the presser after he had sacked LvG that contrary to LvG's belief, players were not backing him and that players and club lost the fun of football under LvG.
Therefore I thought there's a good chance of Louis losing players and no matter how good his ideas may be he will feck it up.

Polite Poster

Supports
Manchester City
If you go to the LVG Out Thread poll, 21 people voted to extend his contract. Of those, at least 8 (Donaldo, B20, Vato, Eboue, BobbyManc, Cheech Wizard, fcbforever, and Manchester Dan) are opposition fans. That should tell you a bit about how he's doing and how opposition fans feel.
I voted to extend his contract too :D

I thought he was the wrong appointment from day one and so I was obviously delighted. Knowing his track record of arrogance and falling out with people I thought it far more likely to go wrong than right. I manage people myself and LVG's style is not one that generally works long term. He will never get the best of of your squad. Long may he reign ;)

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I voted to extend his contract too :D

I thought he was the wrong appointment from day one and so I was obviously delighted. Knowing his track record of arrogance and falling out with people I thought it far more likely to go wrong than right. I manage people myself and LVG's style is not one that generally works long term. He will never get the best of of your squad. Long may he reign ;)
Fair enough, I wasn't familiar with you, make that 9 out of 21 then :lol:

Red_toad

Moyes' season had a really difficult start IIRC, and after 16 games, United had 25 points. In comes LvG, more than £200m and a season extra under his belt, an easier fixture list, and all he can manage is 29 points.

Give Moyes another 12 months and £200m in players, and he'd find 4 points from somewhere, too.
Ah so you base it pure speculation & fiction! Cool

RedStarUnited

Everything went downhill about a month and a half ago. The last time we played well was when we played Everton.

devilish

Which is all well and good provided they're replaced.
That's what I said in the previous post. The million dollar question is, was he allowed to bring more players? We had already spent alot that summer

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
That's what I said in the previous post. The million dollar question is, was he allowed to bring more players? We had already spent alot that summer
It's irrelevant really, either he's made transfer decisions completely lacking foresight and splurged the budget before accounting for players that are likely to leave or he's been complacent and believed his options were adequate in spite of the sales. Considering the money spent on Martial on deadline day and United's revenue I'm heavily inclined to swing towards the latter hypothesis.

devil in me

I've got a wide ranging bunch of mates when it comes to who they support, but all quite knowledgeable. A couple of Villa fans, Spurs and Middlesboro season ticket holders and unfortunately a few Liverpool and they all believe that LVG is, to put it bluntly, an idiot. I've fended off the claims that he's a bit of a clown since we've had him as I thought that it was a bit unfair, but it seems that they were right!

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Ah so you base it pure speculation & fiction! Cool
With some fact thrown in for good measure. But really, what else am I going to do but speculate? You really don't think Moyes would've found four points with an extra year in the job, an easier fixture list, and £200m in transfers?

I don't think it's an outrageous statement, honestly.

devilish

It's irrelevant really, either he's made transfer decisions completely lacking foresight and splurged the budget before accounting for players that are likely to leave or he's been complacent and believed his options were adequate in spite of the sales. Considering the money spent on Martial on deadline day and United's revenue I'm heavily inclined to swing towards the latter hypothesis.
I think that money is running thinner than it used to be it + LVG is being arrogant

caid

With some fact thrown in for good measure. But really, what else am I going to do but speculate? You really don't think Moyes would've found four points with an extra year in the job, an easier fixture list, and £200m in transfers?

I don't think it's an outrageous statement, honestly.
Moyes got gradually worse, his first few months weren't too comically disastrous.
We'd have probably been in relegation form with half our squad refusing to play most weeks if he'd still been in the job a year and a half.