Film Oscar nominations

BlueHaze

For Top Gun? I hope your kidding, it's a joke it's even in best film category.
If top gun is a joke what is banshees of inisherin! :lol:

IMO just the overall choices are not that super impressive.

Personally thought Top Gun was good but ''All Quiet On The Wester Front'' - this was imo a brilliant movie.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

Personally thought Top Gun was good but ''All Quiet On The Wester Front'' - this was imo a brilliant movie.
That does look compelling.
Think Happening is still the best film I saw last year, though that came out in 2021.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Agree that Aftersun should have been nominated. At least Mescal got a nod for it I suppose.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Thought I was the only one who watched On Cinema. :lol:
One of the hardest time I've ever laughed was the James Dean bit

Genuinely can't tell at times if the old guy was acting or just very confused.
Aftersun is the best movie I’ve seen in ages.
Agree that Aftersun should have been nominated. At least Mescal got a nod for it I suppose.
Didn't even get nominated for the main BAFTA prize(Instead it's in a weird sub category like best film made by a British director or some shite).

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Pleasantly surprised he got the nom. Hope he wins, but it's probably nailed on for Fraser.

lsd

The Oracle

Western Front would be my pick or Banshees actually which I really liked.

Top Gun to me it's just not an Oscar film. It's a popcorn flick and coasted by on pure nostalgia.

Now that's not bad and I would pick stuff like that over most Oscar films the majority of times.

The Oscars though should be above films like that. To go for films just because they were popular is not the path to take. That's a path to having fast and furious being considered in all honesty

As for nominating him for best actor based on that I mean no chance. It's not exactly an acting masterclass doing films like that.

He has far better acting roles than that

Hoof the ball

Why in the living feck is Decision to Leave not listed?

Did Hollywood do their one good deed with Parasite and now feck 'em? :lol: Come on, man. Park Chan Wook deserves better than that.

Idxomer

Did Hollywood do their one good deed with Parasite and now feck 'em? :lol: Come on, man. Park Chan Wook deserves better than that.
It lacks the importance factor, Parasite was a film that depicts class struggle. You'll see a bit of that in basically every best picture winner since 2016.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
I hope she wins just so Scorsese can storm the stage and say “If God ain't want me to run on stage and say Tang Wei had the best performance by an actress, he wouldn't have sat me in the front row."
But Tim's like that. On Office Hours he's exactly the same with the callers. :lol:
When they call in with their puns that fully bomb and he doesn’t say anything, it’s amazing to watch.Adds a bit uneasy tension which makes it funnier.

His almost 5 hour long trial is one of most underrated pieces of comedy.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Top Gun to me it's just not an Oscar film. It's a popcorn flick and coasted by on pure nostalgia.
I'd argue a couple of things here, although I'm probably wrong.

1) Being a popcorn flick shouldn't prevent a film from being the best movie of the year. The Oscars have been too pompous for a long time and the belief that a film needs to be something other than a film to win is old fashioned. There's too many hang ups about deviating from the artsy template from the judges, which is why shite like Crash ends up winning.

Maybe they want to keep that clique going but if that's the case then The Oscars shouldn't be put up on a pedestal as the ultimate prize in cinema, when it seems to be nothing more than yet another fancy party for rich folk.

2) Maverick certainly had nostalgia in it but that nostalgia served a purpose. It had nostalgia in the sense that it was a sequel that referenced past events, but it was driven by a new story. Saying it coasted on pure nostalgia seems unfair, especially compared to the litany of movies that have come out in the last decade that are nothing more than "remember this from the original? We've got it here for no particular reason". Strangely, the first film that pops into my head like that is Ready Player One.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I didn't know they remade All Quiet on the Western Front.
The older version (from 1979) was haunting. I've not seen the original 1930 one.
Have they managed to find a new angle on those?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

This seems so stupid to me given the notorious amount of Oscar campaigning that goes on every year.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

You are someone with great taste. That and Broker were my best films of 2022.

It lacks the importance factor, Parasite was a film that depicts class struggle. You'll see a bit of that in basically every best picture winner since 2016.
I don't think any of the Best Picture nominees depict class struggle this year.

Andy_Cole

wow... looking at that list of best picture. This has to be the worst era of cinema yet
Yup the fact Avatar and Top Gun has made it, no disrespect to either. But that genre never makes it. Shows the lack of films in the last year. Covid/ streaming has ruined cinema.

Maroon Lucifer

Yup the fact Avatar and Top Gun has made it, no disrespect to either. But that genre never makes it. Shows the lack of films in the last year. Covid/ streaming has ruined cinema.
oh I think it goes way further back than covid. But you might be right about streaming.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
I don't think any of the Best Picture nominees depict class struggle this year.
Everything Everywhere All at Once - Petit bourgeoisie lady battles against big finance capital and the declining rate of profit in a attempt to reconnect with her downwardly mobile working class daughter.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
wow... looking at that list of best picture. This has to be the worst era of cinema yet
No, there's some quality films out there. Just because Top Gun, which I gather is pretty good anyway, and Avator: The way of the Water People made the list doesn't illustrate a lack of brilliant films out there.
There's films that could've, arguably should've, made the list.

So, no, its silly to judge a whole year of film on Oscar picks. Actually, its comical to even come to that conclusion.

Last edited:

Maroon Lucifer

No, there's some quality films out there. Just because Top Gun, which I gather is pretty good anyway, and Avator: The way of the Water People made the list doesn't illustrate a lack of brilliant films out there.
There's films that could've, arguably should've, made the list.
Some of these films are great but I am not talking about how these films compare to each other. I mean how this list of best picture nominees compares to any list of best picture nominees from say the 90' or 70's. Personal opinion ofcourse, but the 2010's and 20's have been underwhelming to say the least.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Everything Everywhere All at Once - Petit bourgeoisie lady battles against big finance capital and the declining rate of profit in a attempt to reconnect with her downwardly mobile working class daughter.
That's true. If @Idxomer is correct then EEAAO will be the clear winner

Tarrou

what happened to the days when all the nominated films were available on torrents?

they must have tightened things up somehow

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
We don't need an Oscars nominations list to tell us that. It's getting harder to find good cinema every passing year. However, the Oscars was woke long before woke was invented, so it's quite funny to see the likes of Top Gun and Avatar in the best film lists

Chairman Steve

Michelle Yeoh should win one for her Hong Kong stuff alone.

Brendan Fraser should win one because of his incredible versatility over the years, and because he seems like an all round cool guy (a rareity in Hollywood in my opinion)

Amarsdd

But what does "best picture" mean? Does it just mean a movie with the best story, best acting, best direction, etc etc? cause there are already awards for those. Or should it also involve the movie going experience along with the others? If we're talking about cinema, then probably that should also be counted. In that sense, Avatar and Top Gun getting nominated makes sense to me.

Andy_Cole

But what does "best picture" mean? Does it just mean a movie with the best story, best acting, best direction, etc etc? cause there are already awards for those. Or should it also involve the movie going experience along with the others? If we're talking about cinema, then probably that should also be counted. In that sense, Avatar and Top Gun getting nominated makes sense to me.
I agree with you. Some of my favourite movies are blockbusters. But I think the fact that these movies never get nominated, and the lack of top tier Oscar worthy films that have come out, shows the decline of quality in the film industry.

roseguy64

For Top Gun? I hope your kidding, it's a joke it's even in best film category.
Watched it this weekend. It's a fantastic film. A great experience.

I don't expect it to win but no problem with it being nominated. It's a great spectacle and wonderful filmmaking even if it's not a great story or anything like that. I'd say it's like Mad Max : Fury Road.

roseguy64

Not watched any of the Best Picture nominees except Top Gun this past weekend. Aiming to watch all of them before the ceremony and make a video about my predictions.

Need to watch Avatar soon while it's still out and I doubt I'll be able to see Women Talking because it's likely not gonna be released here but 9/10 is good.