Oscars 2012

Leg-End

Here comes Billy Crystal to be nice and safe funny for the night.

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
Here comes Billy Crystal to be nice and safe funny for the night.
I always find it amusing that a ceremony that honours the best and brightest of the film industry always struggles to produce good clips and script good lines for the presenter.

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
Why is Stewart Downing not nominated for impersonating a footballer?

Hal9000

Iv'e seen The Artist, don't think it's as special as all these awards make it out to be. Think it's only won due to the concept around it.

Cold_Boy

So make a wierd film and win a Oscar that's basically it.

I couldn't watch the artist for more than 20 mins because maybe silent movies are not my type.

But yea I make it a point to not watch most of the movies nominated for an Oscar as I know they will be not so entertaining.

Zen

Tree of Life won? Thats the only film thats kind of weird nominated?

Did Malick come out of hibernation for it?

Werder Herzog

I refuse to entertain the oscars. I do not need the opinion of a bunch of grumpy old men to tell me whether a film is good or not, albeit i can be a bit of a snob with film, but i do like my trashy stuffy aswell.

It is all political and the amout of injustices served over the years made me lose interest a long time ago.

Oggmonster

So make a wierd film and win a Oscar that's basically it.

I couldn't watch the artist for more than 20 mins because maybe silent movies are not my type.

But yea I make it a point to not watch most of the movies nominated for an Oscar as I know they will be not so entertaining.
Bit of a strange logic, missing plenty of good films just to spite the Oscars or something, don't think they'd be that arsed but you get plenty of good films nominated for them. Surely the better logic would be to avoid the Oscars and the hype around them and watch the film and judge it for yourself? These people don't ask to be nominated for awards (though I doubt they complain as it's obviously a big achievement and also some great free publicity) and there's been plenty of brilliant films nominated or winning Oscars. Of course film is an opinionated subject so my taste is different to yours and that's fair enough but I do reckon most people would enjoy at least a few films which are nominated for Oscars.

I've not seen the Artist but I've heard mixed about it. I agree when people say Oscars do have a tendency for giving people stuff because their film is a bit "different" but that's probably the way with most award shows, they've taken the risk on doing something which could of been dreadful and backfired awfully and that didn't happen, a lot of people enjoyed it and it did achieve it's goal.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Really wasnt interested in the Oscars this year... haven't got round to seeing any of the films nominated for best picture, or those in the best actor/actress category, so didn't really hold an opinion.

From what I've heard from people that have seen it, The Artist is very good... so well done them I suppose.

I refuse to entertain the oscars. I do not need the opinion of a bunch of grumpy old men to tell me whether a film is good or not, albeit i can be a bit of a snob with film, but i do like my trashy stuffy aswell.

It is all political and the amout of injustices served over the years made me lose interest a long time ago.
When did you get promoted?!

Zen

These people don't ask to be nominated for awards
Not quite true....an awful lot of scripts are greenlit with an "oscar campaign" stamped on it. All the production companies know well in advance who they will be pushing for each award and will be coughing up hard cash to campaign.(some flop massively, some stay to the original plans and some overachieve as you'd expect and well you always got the odd indie surprise -that won't win without a big backer mind you.)

The Artist wasn't quite so early, but good old Harvey took it from Cannes and paid tons to get it to where it is today, and well has obviously paid off, since it's won and made a nice profit...he ain't the master for nothing.

Werder Herzog

Really wasnt interested in the Oscars this year... haven't got round to seeing any of the films nominated for best picture, or those in the best actor/actress category, so didn't really hold an opinion.

From what I've heard from people that have seen it, The Artist is very good... so well done them I suppose.

When did you get promoted?!
This weekend :D

The biggest let down of the Oscars is how Drive and Albert Brooks in particular did not get any recognition.

cinc

Not quite true....an awful lot of scripts are greenlit with an "oscar campaign" stamped on it. All the production companies know well in advance who they will be pushing for each award and will be coughing up hard cash to campaign.(some flop massively, some stay to the original plans and some overachieve as you'd expect and well you always got the odd indie surprise -that won't win without a big backer mind you.)

The Artist wasn't quite so early, but good old Harvey took it from Cannes and paid tons to get it to where it is today, and well has obviously paid off, since it's won and made a nice profit...he ain't the master for nothing.
There's a decent (though boring) docu on Weinstein that deals with his Oscar mania and how he changed both the Oscar-marketing and how he shapes his projects to cater for the Academy's taste.

Cold_Boy

Bit of a strange logic, missing plenty of good films just to spite the Oscars or something, don't think they'd be that arsed but you get plenty of good films nominated for them. Surely the better logic would be to avoid the Oscars and the hype around them and watch the film and judge it for yourself? These people don't ask to be nominated for awards (though I doubt they complain as it's obviously a big achievement and also some great free publicity) and there's been plenty of brilliant films nominated or winning Oscars. Of course film is an opinionated subject so my taste is different to yours and that's fair enough but I do reckon most people would enjoy at least a few films which are nominated for Oscars.

I've not seen the Artist but I've heard mixed about it. I agree when people say Oscars do have a tendency for giving people stuff because their film is a bit "different" but that's probably the way with most award shows, they've taken the risk on doing something which could of been dreadful and backfired awfully and that didn't happen, a lot of people enjoyed it and it did achieve it's goal.
I don't literally mean that I won't watch a movie because it was nominated for an oscar.

But I certainly won't be too keen because it has been nominated and might see which look interesting.

But as far as I am concerned , I watch movies for entertainment.

An example being Slumdog Millionaire is like many many Bollywood movies I have seen before. But for the English/American audience it was different.No way did it deserve so many Oscars. Similarly for Artist, it really isn't that good, I can tell from the 20 mins I have watched.Just different.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
The Artist is a harmless homage to silent cinema and classic Hollywood, it wasn't made just to win awards.

Iv'e seen The Artist, don't think it's as special as all these awards make it out to be. Think it's only won due to the concept around it.
I didn't think it was that outstanding either but neither was any of the other nominated films (Haven't seen Hugo yet mind), The Descendants would have been worse choice.

I don't literally mean that I won't watch a movie because it was nominated for an oscar.

But I certainly won't be too keen because it has been nominated and might see which look interesting.

But as far as I am concerned , I watch movies for entertainment.

An example being Slumdog Millionaire is like many many Bollywood movies I have seen before. But for the English/American audience it was different.No way did it deserve so many Oscars. Similarly for Artist, it really isn't that good, I can tell from the 20 mins I have watched.Just different.
Yeah, I bet you gathered enough information during those 20 minutes to know that it's rubbish. And what's wrong with films that are different?

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Looking through the most recent Best Film winners at the Oscars. The Artist is the 1st since Chicago that I have had no interest in. I think its a film that will certainly not float everyones boat.

I either like or love all the other recent winners. So I have no issue with Oscar winners in most cases

The Silence of the Lambs
Unforgiven
Schindler's List
Forrest Gump
Braveheart
The English Patient
Titanic
Shakespeare in Love (Never Seen)
American Beauty
Gladiator
A Beautiful Mind (Never Seen)
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Million Dollar Baby
Crash
The Departed
No Country for Old Men
Slumdog Millionaire
The Hurt Locker
The King's Speech

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Looking through the most recent Best Film winners at the Oscars. The Artist is the 1st since Chicago that I have had no interest in. I think its a film that will certainly not float everyones boat.

I either like or love all the other recent winners. So I have no issue with Oscar winners in most cases

The Silence of the Lambs
Unforgiven
Schindler's List
Forrest Gump
Braveheart
The English Patient
Titanic
American Beauty
Gladiator
A Beautiful Mind
Million Dollar Baby
Crash
The Departed
No Country for Old Men
Slumdog Millionaire
The Hurt Locker
The King's Speech
The films in bold I would class as films I that I personally didn't fully enjoy for whatever reason... so I suppose it's still not a bad hit rate.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

The Silence of the Lambs
Unforgiven
Schindler's List
Forrest Gump
Braveheart
The English Patient
Titanic
American Beauty
Gladiator
Million Dollar Baby
Crash
The Departed
No Country for Old Men
Slumdog Millionaire
The Hurt Locker
The King's Speech
I've seen every movie there except The Englist Patient and The King's Speech. I've got no longing to see the English Patient. Especially after watching Seinfeld. The King's Speech I will probably enjoy but I imagine it will solely be because of Colin Firth. Got no interest in royalty what so ever.

Agree with you on Chicago as well. Weird that it won. Gangs of New York and LOTR: TTT were both much better movies. But of course LOTR couldn't possibly win every year. No no.

Of the two you haven't seen. I only saw A Beautiful mind late last year. Really liked it. Great man and Crowe did a good job in that one.
If Shakespeare in Love had been more fictional, that is the character not being Shakespeare but made up, I don't think it would have gotten as much recognition. It's just typical Hollywood formula. Portray someone famous or WW2 or mental deficiency and you'll get a nomination most likely.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The films in bold I would class as films I that I personally didn't fully enjoy for whatever reason... so I suppose it's still not a bad hit rate.
The Departed, The Hurt Locker and Titanic you didn't like but your username is Annihilate Now! Somethings off here.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
How cant you like Forest Gump or Million Dollar Baby?
I like Forrset Gump, but bits about it annoy me. I'm not a huge Tom Hanks fan, and as most of the film is centered on him, that could be why.

Million Dollar Baby I didn't enjoy at all though... Second-rate boxing film in my opinion. Cliched in the extreme... also, I might be remembering this wrong, but doesn't she
lose the last fight where she gets paralysed?? How does that make any sense?

The Departed, The Hurt Locker and Titanic you didn't like but your username is Annihilate Now! Somethings off here.
The Departed is a poor version of Infernal Affairs... which is probably my favourite film out of East Asia. Where Infernal Affairs was great subtelty, great cinematography, great acting, and great storytelling... Departed was loud, in your face, OTT and total Hollywood... it even changed the ending so it could be more Hollywood!

Hurt Locker was average... good at times, but some of the lulls during the film took me right out of the experience. Never really got all the praise for that film.

And Titanic, again enjoyable in parts, but some of it just dragged.

I suppose I should hand over my Username then! Need something more timid...

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

The Silence of the Lambs
Unforgiven
Schindler's List
Forrest Gump
Braveheart
The English Patient
Titanic
American Beauty
Gladiator
Million Dollar Baby
Crash
The Departed
No Country for Old Men
Slumdog Millionaire
The Hurt Locker
The King's Speech
How many of those movies did you love? Only a couple for me, some really crap and about half of them are good but few jump out as great movies. Silence of the Lambs is probably my favourite although I've not seen Unforgiven.