Film Oscars 2024

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The time is almost upon us to once again raise up the best, brightest and most plastic of the human race at the 96th Annual Academy Awards, hosted by famed wit, Jimmy Kimmel.

Well laugh, we'll cry, we'll hurl!

Nom-noms:

Best picture
American Fiction
Anatomy of a Fall
Barbie
The Holdovers
Killers Of The Flower Moon
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Past Lives
Poor Things
The Zone Of Interest

Best actress
Annette Bening - Nyad
Lily Gladstone - Killers Of The Flower Moon
Sandra Hüller - Anatomy Of A Fall
Carey Mulligan - Maestro
Emma Stone - Poor Things

Best actor
Bradley Cooper - Maestro
Colman Domingo - Rustin
Paul Giamatti - The Holdovers
Jeffrey Wright - American Fiction
Cillian Murphy - Oppenheimer

Supporting actor
Sterling K Brown - American Fiction
Robert De Niro - Killers Of The Flower Moon
Robert Downey Jr - Oppenheimer
Ryan Gosling - Barbie
Mark Ruffalo - Poor Things

Supporting actress
Emily Blunt - Oppenheimer
Danielle Brooks - The Color Purple
America Ferrera - Barbie
Jodie Foster - Nyad
Da'Vine Joy Randolph - The Holdovers

Director
Justine Triet - Anatomy Of A Fall
Yorgos Lanthimos - Poor Things
Christopher Nolan - Oppenheimer
Martin Scorsese - Killers Of The Flower Moon
Jonathan Glazer - The Zone Of Interest

Animated film
The Boy And The Heron
Elemental
Nimona
Robot Dreams
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

Documentary feature
Four Daughters
20 Days In Mariupol
Bobi Wine: The People's President
The Eternal Memory
To Kill A Tiger

International feature film
Society Of The Snow - Spain
The Zone Of Interest - UK
The Teachers' Lounge - Germany
Io Capitano - Italy
Perfect Days - Japan

Costume design
Barbie
Napoleon
Oppenheimer
Poor Things

Make-up and hairstyling
Golda
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
Society Of The Snow

Original Score
American Fiction
Indiana Jones And The Dial of Destiny
Oppenheimer
Poor Things

Original Song
The Fire Inside - Flamin' Hot
I'm Just Ken - Barbie
What Was I Made For? - Barbie
Wahzhazhe (A Song For My People) - Killers Of The Flower Moon
It Never Went Away - American Symphony

Production design
Barbie
Napoleon
Oppenheimer
Poor Things

Film editing
Anatomy Of A Fall
The Holdovers
Oppenheimer
Poor Things

Adapted screenplay
Barbie
Poor Things
American Fiction
Oppenheimer
The Zone Of Interest

Original screenplay
Anatomy Of A Fall
The Holdovers
Past Lives
May December
Maestro

Animated short film
Letter To A Pig
Ninety-Five Senses
War is Over! Inspired By The Music Of John & Yoko
Pachyderme
Our Uniform

Live action short film
The After
Invincible
Knight Of Fortune
Red, White And Blue
The Wonderful Story Of Henry Sugar

Best cinematography
El Conde
Killers of the Flower Moon
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Poor Things

Best visual effects
The Creator
Godzilla Minus One
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One
Napoleon

Last edited:

Tarrou

glad to see Past Lives nominated, probably my favourite film last year

Jev

Poor Things looks like a real contender for Best Picture with all those nominations. Could be an exciting three-horse race. Snubbing Greta Gerwig for Best Director seems strange to me, to make such a successful blockbuster with such a distinct voice and vision is quite an achievement, it’s much more of a director’s movie than a writer’s movie.

Jericholyte2

Greta Getwig - No nomination
Margot Robbie - No nomination
Ryan Gosling - Nominated

It’s as if the Academy saw Barbie and sided with Will Ferrell!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Does Bradley Cooper annoy the shit out of anyone else? Get the vibe that he really thinks he’s generational.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Greta Getwig - No nomination
Margot Robbie - No nomination
Ryan Gosling - Nominated

It’s as if the Academy saw Barbie and sided with Will Ferrell!
Some people seem to have no idea what an acting award is for.

Sweet Square

I like the Barbie film because it’s based around the 2am drunken feminist ramblings of Gerwig. It’s probably the reason why it’s made over a billion at the box office.

But in terms of actual quality the only things the film has got is the production design and Gosling performance. So the lack of nominations for best film, best director and best actress makes sense(The car chase scene in Barbie is extremely dog shit for example).

Last edited:

Mike Smalling

I love the manufactured outrage over Robbie and Gerwig not being nominated. I haven't seen all the movies, of course, but is it at all possible that it's down to the quality of their performances relative to the nominees, and not some evil misogynistic plot?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I like the Barbie film because it’s based around the 2am drunken feminist ramblings of Gerwig. It’s probably the reason why it’s made over a billion at the box office.

But in terms of actual quality the only things the film has got is the production design and Gosling performance. So the lack of nominations for best film, best director and best actress makes sense(The car chase scene in Barbie is extremely dog shit for example).
Agreed. The highlights were the set design, Ryan as Ken and the Ken song. The actual film and other actors were a bit meh.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I love the manufactured outrage over Robbie and Gerwig not being nominated. I haven't seen all the movies, of course, but is it at all possible that it's down to the quality of their performances relative to the nominees, and not some evil misogynistic plot?
I think you're right. But when powers that be nominate a formulaic piece of crap like the Black Panther for Best Picture to acknowledge the young teens who sustain the Marvel "phenomenon", it's only natural for other "die-hard groups" to want a piece of the same pie. The Golden Globes decided to create an award for best blockbuster and be done with it. Gosling is just preaching to the choir, which is standard procedure for celebrities in the age of SM. As for Gerwig, she will eventually win her Oscar when she returns to the fine form she was in before taking on the Barbie project.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

Agree completely here, although it did get a nomination for Best Film. It just wasn’t a great film and there are more deserving films that tend to do well with Oscar voters out there that didn’t get much of a look in either.

RORY65

I think you're right. But when powers that be nominate a formulaic piece of crap like the Black Panther for Best Picture to acknowledge the young teens who sustain the Marvel "phenomenon", it's only natural for other "die-hard groups" to want a piece of the same pie. The Golden Globes decided to create an award for best blockbuster and be done with it. Gosling is just preaching to the choir, which is standard procedure for celebrities in the age of SM. As for Gerwig, she will eventually win her Oscar when she returns to the fine form she was in before taking on the Barbie project.
The good news is she's making at least 2 Chronicles of Narnia movies for Netflix so you might be waiting a while.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

I actually think Margot Robbie was great in bringing Barbie to life, but having not seen all the other performances I can't really judge.

I don't get the outrage related to Gerwig, and it's not like there's some evil plot against her as she's actually nominated for adapted screenplay anyway! I don't think the film deserved a directing nod, and I feel it got the nom nods it deserved, overall (I actually really enjoyed America Ferrara's performance in this).

Raw

Of course. It was a silly movie that I enjoyed but it really doesn't deserve to win most of these categories. I like America Ferrera but I don't know how she gets nominated over someone like Rosamund Pike in Saltburn for example.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Of course. It was a silly movie that I enjoyed but it really doesn't deserve to win most of these categories. I like America Ferrera but I don't know how she gets nominated over someone like Rosamund Pike in Saltburn for example.
Actually I do get that, but Saltburn wasn't nominated at all was it?

Mike Smalling

I guess I'm just also a bit baffled by the perceived cultural importance of who gets the Oscar nomination and who doesn't. Of course, it's always nice to get recognition for your work, but the film was already a major critical and box office success. I get it, Hollywood is dumb and the media needs something to write about, but still. Was a public lamentation from Gosling really necessary?

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I feel that you have to watch at least 50 highly acclaimed films from a bunch of different countries in a given year to have a good grasp over which films deserves an award or not.

I've just seen 4 films released in 2023. And one of them was Cocaine Bear. Needless to say I'm an expert.

hobbers

Robbie getting a nomination for Barbie would have been a shambles.

Not that she was bad or anything but come on. It was a comedic role with zero evolution or depth.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Robbie getting a nomination for Barbie would have been a shambles.

Not that she was bad or anything but come on. It was a comedic role with zero evolution or depth.
I feel that's unfair, but you're entitled to your opinion!
Yeah no nominations. Thought it would at least get cinematography.
Yeah that's a bit weird. Barry Keoghan also could've been in for a shout. I guess they didn't particularly lobby to get any nominations.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I guess I'm just also a bit baffled by the perceived cultural importance of who gets the Oscar nomination and who doesn't. Of course, it's always nice to get recognition for your work, but the film was already a major critical and box office success. I get it, Hollywood is dumb and the media needs something to write about, but still. Was a public lamentation from Gosling really necessary?
My take is that it's important to the people involved in the industry. I love Spielberg and Cameron but both Schindler's List and The Titanic, more so the latter, were tailor-made for winning Best Picture and Best Director. They both didn't need to do it, as they were already household names. The late Robin Williams was very open about how much winning an Oscar meant to him. DiCaprio wouldn't stop until he got his. When you receive it early on, it's more than a vanity thing. It's a nod from the industry that the doors are wide open. All this, i guess, creates the perception that they are some sort of gatekeepers and that their approval is something special. And this is what they sell when they hold the ceremony every year. For the rest of us mere mortals, it's a validation (of sorts) that our beloved star is worth the fuss. And in the age of SM, if you make enough noise, you can even bring the gates down and force your opinion on those conservative gatekeepers. Gosling is just bigging up people he would like to work with again in the future by using the "pay attention to me" language that is so popular on the internet.

Sweet Square

Agreed. The highlights were the set design, Ryan as Ken and the Ken song. The actual film and other actors were a bit meh.
I get the real world scenes are meant to look dull and lifeless. A lot of the scenes did reminded me of Hallmark movies. The chase scene looks like a super bowl advert. Overall it’s Ghostbusters for soccer moms. Which imo is a great thing.

although it did get a nomination for Best Film.
Cheers. I completely missed this.

I actually think Margot Robbie was great in bringing Barbie to life, but having not seen all the other performances I can't really judge.
Tbh I did think this until seeing Emma Stone in Poor Things yesterday. Stone plays a Frankenstein Barbie and her performance is incredible. Just on another level.

Which isn’t really the fault of Robbie as the biggest positives about the Barbie film are also its biggest negatives - the very messy and contradictory feminism. Robbie performance is imo restricted by the writing.

I don't get the outrage related to Gerwig, and it's not like there's some evil plot against her as she's actually nominated for adapted screenplay anyway! I don't think the film deserved a directing nod, and I feel it got the nom nods it deserved, overall.
I guess it’s online sites trying to get the last bit of juice out of the film for clicks. I also remember seeing a tv news segment interviewing the mass lines for Barbie when it came out. And a few people said it was the first time they’ve been to a cinema since the pandemic. Barbie might be the only film they’ve watched last year that wasn’t some dogshit Netflix original.
I actually really enjoyed America Ferrara's performance in this.
Yeah I did as well. America Ferrara character is meant to be for the mums. Her big speech isn’t “cringe” or “bad” for a middle class suburban mothers. It’s probably one of the rare times where mainstream media has talked about how shitty things can be for these people.

Also as Ferrara has said there are tons and tons of people who have absolutely no idea about feminism. The Barbie message will be seen as radical and tbh I suspect most wont even get the messaging at all. One of the people I went to see the film with just thought it was about a doll becoming a real person. Nothing at all to do with feminism.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
as the first time they’ve been to a cinema since the pandemic. Barbie might be the only film they’ve watched last year that wasn’t some dogshit Netflix original.

Yeah I did as well. America Ferrara character is meant to be for the mums. Her big speech isn’t “cringe” or “bad” for a middle class suburban mothers. It’s probably one of the rare times where mainstream media has talked about how shitty things can be for these people.

Also as Ferrara has said there are tons and tons of people who have absolutely no idea about feminism. The Barbie message will be seen as radical and tbh I suspect most wont even get the messaging at all. One of the people I went to see the film with just thought it was about a doll becoming a real person. Nothing at all to do with feminism.
You've got to stop going to see films with that person who also thought Starship Troopers was just an alien invasion action sci-fi film. The sex might be good Sweet Square but it's just not worth it anymore.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

I didn't think much of Gosling's performance. Thought his execution of certain jokes was way off which I found surprising because he can do comedy well.
Will Ferrell got on my nerves, like usual.

Sweet Square

You've got to stop going to see films with that person who also thought Starship Troopers was just an alien invasion action sci-fi film. The sex might be good Sweet Square but it's just not worth it anymore.
:lol:

I heard it’s a popular sub genre on certain websites(Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets)but for the record I am not sleeping with my step dad!

I just know conservatives. Which sadly means I hear a lot bad opinions but it does mean I have a better understanding of why Stalin did certain things.

I didn't think much of Gosling's performance. Thought his execution of certain jokes was way off which I found surprising because he can do comedy well.
Fair enough. The Nice Guys is still my favourite comedy performance of Gosling but I thought he was pretty great in Barbie. To the point where it does become a problem for the film as Kenworld is clearly a cooler place for everyone.

My bar is so low for Will Ferrell these days that the fact he didn’t ruin the film was a positive.

It is nominated for Best Film, right?
Yeah it is. I made the mistake thinking it wasn’t.