Film Oscars 2024

Sweet Square

Didn’t watch as awards shows are incredibly dystopian and strange given current world events. But I did see that Jonathan Glazer and Mark Ruffalo mentioned Gaza which was a positive.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Emma Stone has 2 leading actress awards at the age of 35. Meryl Streep has 2 for leading and 1 for supporting out of 21 nominations - interesting.

mu4c_20le

I haven't liked a Nolan film since Inception, but yeah I reckon I'll enjoy this.
Same, but didn't think Oppenheimer was any different. Not terrible, just hugely overrated.

American Fiction was my personal movie of the year, I'm happy it won something.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Same, but didn't think Oppenheimer was any different. Not terrible, just hugely overrated.

American Fiction was my personal movie of the year, I'm happy it won something.
I find it so strange you call Oppenheimer overrated and then talk about American Fiction as your favourite film of the year :lol:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Of all the nominees the ones I have any interest in seeing (other then Oppenheimer) are Holdovers and Anatomy of a Fall... maybe Poor Things, but I doubt I'll give it a go to be honest.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Of all the nominees the ones I have any interest in seeing (other then Oppenheimer) are Holdovers and Anatomy of a Fall... maybe Poor Things, but I doubt I'll give it a go to be honest.
Holdovers is fine and enjoyable and charming, but Poor Things is such a great film. Much more interesting than the former.

Jev

Why would you not want to watch Poor Things? Or Killers of the Flower Moon for that matter?

MiceOnMeth

Oppenheimer best film? It barely even had a plot. Confusing time jumps and the whole thing with Strauss was boring as feck. Found myself not caring about anything after the success atomic bomb test. Well acted though 5/10

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Why would you not want to watch Poor Things? Or Killers of the Flower Moon for that matter?
He's allergic to good films maybe!
Because as enjoyable as American Fiction was, it was very forgettable and the hype around it is quite surprising - for me, that is.
Oppenheimer best film? It barely even had a plot.
I mean... It very clearly had a plot, a pretty clear and easy one to follow too. This is a bit of a weird take.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Fully deserved wins for Oppenheimer and Nolan. Poor Things was also great, and it certainly feels that Lanthimos' time will eventually come, sooner or later.

Anatomy of a Fall was amazing, Sandra Huller was exceptional in it. The Teachers' Lounge deserves more love and so does Leonie Benesh's performance. Along with Cillian Murphy, the top-three leading performances for me (Emma Stone is very close).

I'm also happy for Wim Wenders' comeback to good form with Perfect Days, since he's one of my favourite directors. The only ones i didn't enjoy were Barbie and Maestro.

mu4c_20le

Because as enjoyable as American Fiction was, it was very forgettable and the hype around it is quite surprising - for me, that is.
Hm, interesting, I didn't notice. I thought both AF and Killers were very solid movies, and would have won any other year, but neither had anywhere near the buzz that Oppenheimer seemed to had.

MiceOnMeth

He's allergic to good films maybe!

I mean... It very clearly had a plot, a pretty clear and easy one to follow too. This is a bit of a weird take.
It was just one scene after another with no indication which year each scene was from unless you know the history of the Manhattan project/ww2 which admittedly I don't.

I had no idea why Strauss was setting Oppenheimer up in the kangaroo court and why I should care. Maybe I'm a bit thick and missing the whole point of the last hour but it just wasn't very engaging

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Hm, interesting, I didn't notice. I thought both AF and Killers were very solid movies, and would have won any other year, but neither had anywhere near the buzz that Oppenheimer seemed to had.
I liked all 3 of those films, but I personally felt they got the buzz they deserved: Killers is not an easy film and while I loved it and didn't see the time go by, I understand it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. AF is fun, it's quirky, it's well written - but ultimately a little bit over indulgent I think, and quite forgettable on the whole.

I think Oppenheimer is an fantastic film to be honest, a cinematic tour de force by a filmmaker back to his best.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
It was just one scene after another with no indication which year each scene was from unless you know the history of the Manhattan project/ww2 which admittedly I don't.

I had no idea why Strauss was setting Oppenheimer up in the kangaroo court and why I should care. Maybe I'm a bit thick and missing the whole point of the last hour but it just wasn't very engaging
I dunno, without knowing the intricacies of the Manhattan Project, I thought it was quite easy to navigate and quite straightforward. I felt Tenet was a mess but I think in this one, the storytelling was easy to get into.

MiceOnMeth

Just finished Poor Things. For me a much much better film than Oppenheimer.

roseguy64

The avoidable one is only really Maestro. Barbie and American Fiction too if you don't like the premise or stuff like that but both good watches. The others are well worth the effort.
The Zone Of Interest is still on my watchlist. Hopefully, get a chance to do that this month.

roseguy64

American Fiction would only win in a poor year IMO.

roseguy64

I liked all 3 of those films, but I personally felt they got the buzz they deserved: Killers is not an easy film and while I loved it and didn't see the time go by, I understand it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. AF is fun, it's quirky, it's well written - but ultimately a little bit over indulgent I think, and quite forgettable on the whole.

I think Oppenheimer is an fantastic film to be honest, a cinematic tour de force by a filmmaker back to his best.
Agreed entirely

roseguy64

Did a review/predictions video for this year's Oscars. Same as I did last year. Released it later than planned as I'd wanted to release it on Thursday not today but that's life.

Oppenheimer, Anatomy Of A Fall, Poor Things, Past Lives and The Holdovers were my top 5. Liked Barbie and KOTFM also. Meh on the others a bit.

Did not get to watch The Zone Of Interest.
I got 14/18 so proud of myself here. Thought Lily would win Best Actress, Barbie would win Costume, Oppenheimer would win Sound and Maestro would win Makeup/Hair. All of these I was 50/50 on except Sound. Genuinely thought Oppenheimer would win that.

The only prediction I made that was a punt was Godzilla Minus One and I got that one. So nice.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I watched compilation of Kimmel's "jokes" on Oscars. Wow, guy is an idiot. How some people can't separate joke/banter from abusive comments is beyond me.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I got 14/18 so proud of myself here. Thought Lily would win Best Actress, Barbie would win Costume, Oppenheimer would win Sound and Maestro would win Makeup/Hair. All of these I was 50/50 on except Sound. Genuinely thought Oppenheimer would win that.

The only prediction I made that was a punt was Godzilla Minus One and I got that one. So nice.
Doesn't count if you didn't put money on it.

Mike Smalling

I watched compilation of Kimmel's "jokes" on Oscars. Wow, guy is an idiot. How some people can't separate joke/banter from abusive comments is beyond me.
Jokes about Robert Downey Jr.'s past are just incredibly played out. Of course, these are extremely privileged people that should be able to take a joke, but it seems like these jokes in particular are made every year. He took it like a champ though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
There was nothing abusive it. Kimmel’s issue isn’t that he crosses the line or is crass. It’s that he isn’t funny at all.

Imagine someone like Conan hosting this - I’d tune in just for him. feck the rest of the awards.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Doesn't count if you didn't put money on it.
I really should because I have a great track record with it.
Not to knock you roseguy, but I actually think this year's awards were amongst the most predictable in recent times. I've never done the guessing game prior to the awards but I'm pretty sure I would've gotten a lot of them right, it was fairly expected and, I believe, quite deserved.