Osimhen v Kane

Well...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Rashford’s heading ability just makes me believe he is too similar to Osihmen to spend 150 million on him.

Fast, pacer, has become strong, heading ability and good finishes.

Link up play and passing are their weaknesses so let’s try get that in the team.

Kane for me.

croadyman

Tonight shows we have to sign proven one,if it's neither of these two then gotta get Kolo-Muani/Vlahovic/Ramos instead

ti vu

Either would be a good signing. It's just about who is more attainable on reasonable term.

Personally, I prefer Kane due to his playmaking ability, which enables flexible tactic switch without subbing. It's almost having another player in midfield. Also he's familiar with Rashford, and Rashford type of forward in Son may help the system hit the ground running without much trial and error.

Still believe we should look to buy another young forward as back up, if he who must not be named doesn't come back. Martial injury record means you can't rely on him even for back up role.

croadyman

I'll admit I haven't watched Napoli enough to be able to tell how good Osimhen is but what I have seen of him this season has been very impressive. Not worried at all he will be coming from Serie A however biggest problem will be negotiating with Napoli as many have mentioned in this thread.

Regarding Kane, as good as he is and also being proven in the PL I just cannot stand him and hope he stays away from our club. Petty reason obviously but it is what it is :lol:
Why can't you stand Kane?

TheRedHearted

Shouldn’t this poll open in may? We can see more of kanes injury record or lack of, more of where our team is and what would suit us better?

Bebestation

Why can't you stand Kane?
Some people can’t stand Great Britain players unless they play in another country like how some people rated Sancho and Bellingham so high but every other English player is overpriced and overrated to them.

They complain about players like Antony not being worth 85 million - but then would jizz at the next best Brazilian thing in an instant whilst the next best English player is overrated and over priced.

Kane is a loser to them due to the club they play for - an English player is likely to play for an English club, because they are less technical than an Argentinian like Messi and are overpriced.

ti vu

what is a reasonable price for kane considering he is free agent next year summer ? 50M the most ?
IMO, I am willing to go as much as 100mil.

With the inflation, and Boehly around no point trying to hard bargain because unlikely for Levy to blink when buying replacement would cost Tottenham closer to 100mil too in that market. Just get it done and quick if it's possible.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Kane. No contest here.

This Man United resembles peak Real Madrid to me. I know it’s an unfair comparison ability wise. But stylistically. Had we had a Benzema, who knows what level Rashford would achieve? Antony would have had more space to run into.

Kane is ideal for that role. He is motivated to win trophies. He can give us 4 to 5 seasons. He doesn’t have to make runs, doesn’t rely on pace. He scores 9/10 in every aspect of the game this team desperately lacks.

Osimhen is tearing Serie A apart. So did Lukaku. Don’t want another gamble.

zaafi

Kane. No contest here.

This Man United resembles peak Real Madrid to me. I know it’s an unfair comparison ability wise. But stylistically. Had we had a Benzema, who knows what level Rashford would achieve? Antony would have had more space to run into.

Kane is ideal for that role. He is motivated to win trophies. He can give us 4 to 5 seasons. He doesn’t have to make runs, doesn’t rely on pace. He scores 9/10 in every aspect of the game this team desperately lacks.

Strange comparison as Lukaku was banging in goals consistently in Premier League before moving to Serie A. In his best season he had 25 goals and 6 assists in 37 games. You would be displeased if Osimhen produced these numbers?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Kane. No contest here.

Lukaku comparisons are dumb.

First, because Osimhen is ripping Serie A apart in a way Lukaku never did. Second, because Lukaku got 25 PL goals at his peak. A tally that would have made him top scorer in the league in any of the last five seasons.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Strange comparison as Lukaku was banging in goals consistently in Premier League before moving to Serie A. In his best season he had 25 goals and 6 assists in 37 games. You would be displeased if Osimhen produced these numbers?
If we bought Osimhen for £120 M and he scores 25 goals first season and then turns into complete garbage? No

JohnnyLaw

I voted Osimhen, I think that’s the best choice. However, I’d be delighted with Kane. Especially if we find a potential successor to bring in alongside him, replacing Martial who’d otherwise fill that role.

A young talent a la Retegui/ Sesko (before he signed for Leipzig) that can be brought in relatively cheap with the long term view of taking over the role eventually.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Lukaku comparisons are dumb.

First, because Osimhen is ripping Serie A apart in a way Lukaku never did. Second, because Lukaku got 25 PL goals at his peak. A tally that would have made him top scorer in the league in any of the last five seasons.
Are you suggesting that Lukaku is a great player and is worth £120 M?
Lukaku was not Manchester United level player. 25 goals in one season doesn’t mean anything. Kevin Philips once scored more than 30 goals in EPL.

Kane is proven talent of the highest level who will make us stronger. Osimhen - not so sure.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Are you suggesting that Lukaku is a great player and is worth £120 M?
Lukaku was not Manchester United level player. 25 goals in one season doesn’t mean anything. Kevin Philips once scored more than 30 goals in EPL.

Kane is proven talent of the highest level who will make us stronger. Osimhen - not so sure.
Eh, no, obviously not.

But your post seemed to suggest that tearing Serie A apart meant little, because Lukaku had done the same. As if Lukaku is a prime example of someone who did it in Serie A but failed to do it in England.

When in reality his performances in England were such that both us and Chelsea were willing to spend north of £70m on him long before he had even set foot in Italy, off the back of 18 & 25 goal league seasons. And Inter were willing to spend near the same again after a two year "failed" spell at United, during one of which he scored 27 goals in 51 games across all competitions. And then when he did land in Italy, his rate of returns was the same as in the PL.

In other words of all the many strikers you could point to to show that playing in Italy doesn't neccessarily translate to the PL, you picked one who actually made his career in the PL first and then successfully translated that to Serie A.

And again, Osimhen is performing better in Serie A than Lukaku ever did anyway and is a very different player. All of which makes for a dumb (or more kindly, lazy) comparison.

Last edited:

ThinkTank@Cafe

My comparison was spot on. It’s not my problem that you notice solely league issues and can’t think beyond. May be you feel an urge to insult people. Ok, I don’t take it personally.

Lukaku had nice stats both in Serie A and EPL being a very limited football player.

N9 in this (Ten Hag’s) side must have a vast range of talents and be hard working. More of a Benzema type of player, not a poacher like Osimhen or Lukaku.

Poachers thrive in leagues like Serie A but become a tactical burden in EPL. No matter how much they score. They are detached from the team.

I’ll make even “dumber” expamle. Haaland.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
My comparison was spot on. It’s not my problem that you notice solely league issues and can’t think beyond. May be you feel an urge to insult people. Ok, I don’t take it personally.

Lukaku had nice stats both in Serie A and EPL being a very limited football player.

N9 in this (Ten Hag’s) side must have a vast range of talents and be hard working. More of a Benzema type of player, not a poacher like Osimhen or Lukaku.

Poachers thrive in leagues like Serie A but become a burden in EPL.

For about 90% of the games he had managed before coming to United ETH's preferred strikers were the likes of Haller, Huntelaar, Dolberg, Lassina, Brobbey. Then upon arriving at United, he was reportedly interested in Nunez, Sesko and Arnautovic, before bringing in Weghorst.

Where among that array of strikers do you see a preference for a player like Karim Benzema of all people? The clear pattern is a heavy lean towards physicality first.

And again, Osimhen is a very different type of player to Lukaku. Not least in being extremely hard-working and hard-pressing, one of the qualities you allude to ETH wanting. And an area he quite clearly has an advantage over Kane, the player you're recommending.

Last edited:

ThinkTank@Cafe

For about 90% of the games he had managed before coming to United ETH's preferred strikers were Haller, Huntelaar, Dolberg, Lassina, Brobbey. Then upon arriving at United, he was reportedly interested in Nunez, Sesko and Arnautovic, before bringing in Weghorst.

Where among that array of strikers do you see a preference for a player like Karim Benzema of all people? The clear pattern is a heavy lean towards physicality first.

And again, Osimhen is a very different type of player to Lukaku. Not least in being extremely hard-working and hard-pressing, one of the qualities you allude to ETH wanting.
OP: Kane or Osimhen?
Me: Kane, no risk, quality player, will definitely improve us. Very much. Osimhen: looks a world class player in Serie A. Will I accept adaptation risk for £100M+ signing. No. is his profile a better suit for us than Kane’s? definitely no. So, definitely Kane. Don’t want another Lukaku: high hopes, impressive st but makes us weaker.
You: you are dumb.

nice to meet you

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Kane. No contest here.

And so would Kane. Osimhen is tearing Serie A apart because he happens to play in Serie A.

zaafi

Me: Kane, no risk, quality player, will definitely improve us. Very much. Osimhen: looks a world class player in Serie A. Will I accept adaptation risk for £100M+ signing. No. is his profile a better suit for us than Kane’s? definitely no. So, definitely Kane. Don’t want another Lukaku: high hopes, impressive st but makes us weaker.

nice to meet you
Okay, to make it more simple for you and other posters who don't want Osimhen because he plays in the Serie A. If Kane played in Serie A, would you take him for £100m or would you not want him because he plays in that league? You, and a lot of posters in this thread, look at the league instead of the player's abilities. You don't lose your abilities when you move to another league. Your strength won't disappear. Your movement and instincts won't suddenly vanish. Your pace won't be reduced to Mata's upon the sight of mighty defenders like Wout Faes and Chris Mepham. The difference that Osimhen will experience here is the intensity, but why should he not be able to adapt to that with his strengths and abilities? He is intense himself and a really hard worker, dragging several defenders to him which also opens up space for our most lethal goal scorer Rashford.
Additionally, United creates a lot of chances every game and Osimhen guarantees goals.

I'm not saying I don't want Kane, I'd probably prefer him too but I can imagine Osimhen being preferred by Ten Hag due to his intensity and work rate. Kane isn't exactly known for that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Me: Kane, no risk, quality player, will definitely improve us. Very much. Osimhen: looks a world class player in Serie A. Will I accept adaptation risk for £100M+ signing. No. is his profile a better suit for us than Kane’s? definitely no. So, definitely Kane. Don’t want another Lukaku: high hopes, impressive stags but makes us weaker.
I didn't say you were dumb. I said the comparison to Lukaku was dumb. Because it was.

Osimhen is stylistically different to Lukaku as a player, performing better in Serie A than Lukaku ever did and is an entirely different profile siging to Lukaku, who if anything is an example of the risk in believing someone is "PL proven" rather than the risk of signing someone from another league. Hell, stylistically Lukaku isn't even the United striker from the last few years Osimhen has the most in common with, with Cavani being a more natural comparison.

And again you assert that Kane's profile suits us better than Osimhen's, even though Kane certainly isn't any more in line with the style of striker ETH has preferred up to now. In fact the most recent report linking us to both players specifically noted that Osimhen was the better fit for what ETH wants.

Swordsman

Poachers thrive in leagues like Serie A but become a tactical burden in EPL. No matter how much they score. They are detached from the team.

how about la liga ?

Bebestation

I didn't say you were dumb. I said the comparison to Lukaku was dumb. Because it was.

Osimhen is stylistically different to Lukaku as a player, performing better in Serie A than Lukaku ever did and is an entirely different profile siging to Lukaku, who if anything is an example of the risk in believing someone is "PL proven" rather than the risk of signing someone from another league. Hell, stylistically Lukaku isn't even the United striker from the last few years Osimhen has the most in common with, with Cavani being a more natural comparison.

And again you assert that Kane's profile suits us better than Osimhen's, even though Kane certainly isn't any more in line with the style of striker ETH has preferred up to now. In fact the most recent report linking us to both players specifically noted that Osimhen was the better fit for what ETH wants.
But then again he played creative wide wingers like Tadic and Antony and ziyech at Ajax rather than proper goalscoring inverted forwards like Rashford.

Playing a striker that presses and headers does absolutely nothing for Rashford and Rashford’s doing nothing for them.

Rashford also playing centrally has a similar pressing, pace and now heading ability to Osihmen to go and spend 150 million on such a player.

If Osihmen gets bought and as you say he reminds you of an Ajax CF during ten Hag’s side then we have to play more of the Sancho and Antony playmakers from wide trying to play Osihmen behind on goal; which is the exactly thing Ten Hag played for most of the start of the season with Rashford on goal.

Kane on the other hand is the ultimate version of Martial & Weghorst - so we instantly improve on weaker players that are currently in our system whilst also having a lesser version of Osihmen centrally when Rashford’s playing as a striker - but when he plays left wing of Kane we have the most deadliest version of Son from Spurs. Even players like Sancho as a RW could turn to be the world class version of Lucas. Bruno would turn to the ultimate version of Delle Ali during Spurs CL season either scoring goals or playing in Kane on goal. Then we also have Eriksen as well.

Then we also get to see players like Antony & the unamed one - cutting in and getting played in on goal to start getting deadly finishes from the RW to give us the opposite side version of Rashford on the LW.

Consider the players we have -
  • LW - Rashford, Sancho, Garanacho
  • RW- Antony, Amad, the non nameable

• All Would get played in on goal by Kane whilst if we buy Osihmen only creative players like Antony, Sancho and Amad would play him on goal. All those players would still play Kane on goal as well because he isn’t just a creator - he is a deadly goal scorer too. We end up having some of the most best experienced players in Kane, Shaw, Casemiro, Bruno, Varane etc. They don’t need to learn anything - just do it and win the league. I wouldn’t cry if Osihmen came, he’s a good young player - but Kane fits us in a whole another realm in my opinion.

ThinkTank@Cafe

how about la liga ?
Both Serie A and La Liga (excluding Barca, Real, and AM? not sure) strikers level is much lower than EPL average in my view. I wouldn't say "crap" but very tempted to.

EPL top 5:

1. Haaland
2.Kane
3. Toney
4. Mitrovic
5. Rashford

Serie A:
1. Osimhen
2. Lookman
3. L. Martines
4. N'Zola
5. Arnautovic

La Liga
1. Lewandowski
2. Joselu
3-5. Aspas, Benzema, Iglesias.

Utuhu

You want us to spend £100m on a 30+ player in Kane?
That is ridiculous, Osihmen for me.

Bebestation

I’m 100% sure we will get Kane for less than 100million.

That’s what Spurs are asking for compared to 150 million when City wanted him 2 years back.

He is on his last year contract. If he pushes a move and cries about it we can get him for 75-80 million. If not we won’t go for him - aka only go for him if he wants the move.

That’s Casemiro price and perfectly acceptable for me.

Osihmen has been said as not for sale and Napoli wanted 200 million for Koulibaly, a worse player than Osihmen.

zaafi

He is 29 and has just turned 30 when the next season starts. Strikers that don't rely on pace and explosiveness can be great even in their mid-thirties. Lewandowski, Benzema, Cavani, Giroud, Ibrahimovic. Kane has 200 Premier League goals in 304 games. You don't think he can be our striker for the next 4-5 years and score a lot of goals with the amount of chances we create every game?
Besides, he is not going to go for £100m with one year left on his contract.

Chief123

With Utd getting new owners and it being rumoured that both Utd and Chelsea are interested in Osimhen, you can just see Napoli licking their lips with a £150m asking price. Chelsea will probably offer £180m instead.

croadyman

With Utd getting new owners and it being rumoured that both Utd and Chelsea are interested in Osimhen, you can just see Napoli licking their lips with a £150m asking price. Chelsea will probably offer £180m instead.
Oh yeah we would both get stung for him

Bebestation

It’s the only video I could find with just his assists - but my lord if this enters our team :houllier: our wide players & team are just going to turn to a different level.

We were very lucky he didn’t get in to that City team.

ti vu

It’s the only video I could find with just his assists - but my lord if this enters our team :houllier: our wide players & team are just going to turn to a different level.

We were very lucky he didn’t get in to that City team.
This is a better clip.

Pep was well pissed that Levy didn't pick up the phone, despite Kane had some sort of gentleman agreement to leave. Kane fits that false 9 tactic Pep crave for better than Haaland.

Last edited:

Steve 007

Kane is a proven quality striker in the PL he may end up as top scorer ever. Kane however is 30 in July meaning he’s going to be one of the best for 2/3 years max.
Osimhen is 25 in December, he’s got it all to prove, however I think Chelsea will pay silly money for him, their scouts probably haven’t watched him but the new owner reads the Sun.

Bebestation

This is a better clip.

Pep was well pissed that Levy didn't pick up the phone, despite Kane had some sort of gentleman agreement to leave. Kane fits that false 9 tactic Pep crave for better than Haaland.
And he is scoring this season like he is Lukaku for Conte under Conte tactics.

Mad player.

If Thiago Silva is the best defender in the PL at nearly 40, I don’t see the problem of Kane at 29 turning 30 in 5 months time.

Red00012

Gary Neville was on the overlap midweek saying a lot of clubs will pay £100 million for Kane in the summer if he’s available. He’s 1 year left in his contract why would anyone pay £100 million and having to replace him again in 3 years ?

Red00012

Funny but true

Doracle

Gary Neville was on the overlap midweek saying a lot of clubs will pay £100 million for Kane in the summer if he’s available. He’s 1 year left in his contract why would anyone pay £100 million and having to replace him again in 3 years ?
Because he’s the best in the world in that position and they expect to get at least 5 years out of him, looking at the likes of Lewa or Benz? £100 million remains a bargain really for a player of that quality.

Bebestation

Because he’s the best in the world in that position and they expect to get at least 5 years out of him, looking at the likes of Lewa or Benz? £100 million remains a bargain really for a player of that quality.
We will get him around Antony’s price in my opinion.
100mil is what Spurs want so we can negotiate to a lower price because they are not getting what they want.

Doracle

We will get him around Antony’s price in my opinion.
100mil is what Spurs want so we can negotiate to a lower price because they are not getting what they want.
Yeah, I still think £70 million is achievable but it does depend on him telling Spurs he won’t be re-signing.