Osimhen v Kane

Well...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

croadyman

I'm a big fan of Osimhen, but I'm pretty shocked by these poll results tbh. Kane is definitely another level and would be perfect for an ETH team. I would also take Vlahovic ahead of Osimhen because I think he suits a possession based team more, which I think is what ETH wants to take us towards. Kane could be an RVP-like signing that could end up winning us the league. I'd expect him to perform at a top level until at least 33 which would give us plenty of top performances to justify the price. I'm already delighted with the £70m we spent on Casemiro after just half a season, so £70-80m on Kane would be fine imo.
Yeah I like Osimhen too and still think there could be a possibility to get him at 27 or is that now considered too old on here.

Surely even his biggest fans on here can see the benefit of bringing in Kane while Rapha,Casa,Bruno & Eriksen are in prime.

colombianmancunian

Kane by far. He knows the league, so there’s won’t be “adaptation time”, will bring 25-30 goals a year for at least 3-4 years. Bringing Osimhen from mediocre Seria A is a bet.

croadyman

Kane by far. He knows the league, so there’s won’t be “adaptation time”, will bring 25-30 goals a year for at least 3-4 years. Bringing Osimhen from mediocre Seria A is a bet.
Many on here just won't have it and think he's on a steady decline and not worth it,only need to look at poll to see proof of it

El Jefe

No longer the best version of himself, he's currently in the best scoring season of his career!
If you think this is the best version of Kane, then you've just exposed yourself as a watcher of stats rather than actual football.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
If you think this is the best version of Kane, then you've just exposed yourself as a watcher of stats rather than actual football.
I take no notice of the xG this, that and the whatever BS, the only stat that matters to me in a CF is how many goals does he score or assist, Kane has 15 goals in 20 odd games, no idea on the assists

El Jefe

So you are firmly in Osimhen camp then
I'm on the fence with Osimhen tbh. I really like him and I think we need a player of his type more than Kane. My issue is he's not the finished product yet and will still need some developing of his back to goal play. I have no doubt he can eventually be very solid in that department but I worry that paying £100m will put him under so much pressure to be excellent immediately. The weight of these big money moves has made much better players struggle.

If he has the mentality to cope with the pressure, I think he can be a big hit. He's a physical powerhouse and has the pace to match it, works tirelessly in running the channels and pressing too. I think he could potentially offer us more than Kane can. A player like Bruno would also look much better with Osimhen in front of him rather than Kane trying to drop into the areas he operates best in.

He's also great in the air. Purely anecdotal but I rarely see Kane win headed duels, though I could be wrong here.

croadyman

I'm on the fence with Osimhen tbh. I really like him and I think we need a player of his type more than Kane. My issue is he's not the finished product yet and will still need some developing of his back to goal play. I have no doubt he can eventually be very solid in that department but I worry that paying £100m will put him under so much pressure to be excellent immediately. The weight of these big money moves has made much better players struggle.

If he has the mentality to cope with the pressure, I think he can be a big hit. He's a physical powerhouse and has the pace to match it, works tirelessly in running the channels and pressing too. I think he could potentially offer us more than Kane can. A player like Bruno would also look much better with Osimhen in front of him rather than Kane trying to drop into the areas he operates best in.

He's also great in the air. Purely anecdotal but I rarely see Kane win headed duels, though I could be wrong here.
I still cannot decide what type of striker Erik is looking for. The concern about Kane getting in Bruno’s space is very valid. However one thing he does have over Osimhen is there aren't concerns about him being the finished product because we know he is.

I like Osimhen and offers us real pace and power but think there will be a big price difference between the two. Levy will push for near £100m but knows this time he won't get that. So if I had to estimate would go Kane £80m plus addons and Osimhen £120m plus addons.

AlPistacho

Problem with Kane is you don’t know when he’s decline will start. He’s not a pressing forward.

Buy the striker that suites the system.

croadyman

Problem with Kane is you don’t know when he’s decline will start. He’s not a pressing forward.

Buy the striker that suites the system.
He might well be looking for a pressing forward hence the links to Osimhen & Vlahovic,on the other hand might want someone who can score and join in with buildup hence links to Kane. I don't honestly know enough about Sesko to comment on which type he falls into.

El Jefe

I still cannot decide what type of striker Erik is looking for. The concern about Kane getting in Bruno’s space is very valid. However one thing he does have over Osimhen is there aren't concerns about him being the finished product because we know he is.

I like Osimhen and offers us real pace and power but think there will be a big price difference between the two. Levy will push for near £100m but knows this time he won't get that. So if I had to estimate would go Kane £80m plus addons and Osimhen £120m plus addons.
I guess when you put those potential prices up, it does seem much more justifiable spending that on Kane. Osimhen is not worth that at all even though I'm a fan. Napoli and Spurs also happen to be some of the toughest negotiators in football.

I haven't seen much of Vlahovic but maybe he's an option especially with the turmoil at Juve.

croadyman

I guess when you put those potential prices up, it does seem much more justifiable spending that on Kane. Osimhen is not worth that at all even though I'm a fan. Napoli and Spurs also happen to be some of the toughest negotiators in football.

I haven't seen much of Vlahovic but maybe he's an option especially with the turmoil at Juve.
Oh yeah Levy and Laurentiis are a nightmare to deal with that's for sure,in terms of Juve I see them appealing points deduction and winning.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
No longer the best version of himself, he's currently in the best scoring season of his career!
Nah his peak goalscoring years were 16/17 and 17/18, when he finished on 29 and 30 goals in the league.

Goals/non-penalty goals per 90min:

16/17 - 1.04/0.86
17/18 - 0.88/0.82
22/23 - 0.76/0.66

This is his best goalscoring season since that peak though, and is obviously excellent in its own right.

Fabio Rochemback

Neither

Levy would expect 70m for Kane. At his age its simply not worth it. Meanwhile Napoli will take us to the cleaners for Osimhen ie a player who had only scored goals in a league were Immobile usually owns it.
And where Ademola Lookman is the second top scorer this season...

JeffFromHK

If Kane joins us in the summer, the age profile of our starting XI would probably be like this at the start of next season:
25 30 23
31 [hopefully replaced by a younger midfielder] 31 28(29 in sept)
27 25 30 24

Would we not have enough energy up front?

Mcking

We shouldn't look at both players and pick Osimhen just because he is younger. His age is going to be nothing more than an excuse that will be made for him if he joins and struggles to adapt. Could easily end up with 3-4 years of excuses, while good strikers come and go, and the likes of Bruno, Varane and Casemiro probably start to decline.

I'd argue Kane is the better striker between the two. He is proficient and as accomplished as they come as a striker, has a great goalscoring record, continues to score goals, is still a major threat in the league we play in, and would be a good fit for our current team. 30 is no where near as old as some are making it out to be, and shouldn't stop us from making what looks like a potentially transformative signing.

I doubt there are many Manchester United fans who would have another DM over Casemiro right now just because of age, but remember how many wouldn't stop talking about how old he was when we were linked to him.

Honestly don't think we could go wrong with Kane. If he comes in and gives us two to three good seasons right away, that's way better than having a younger striker struggling to adapt while we waste time waiting on our investment.

There will always be strikers in the market, we shouldn't put ourselves in a hole obsessing with potentially long-term players. If Kane struggles initially or fades after a few years, we find another striker right away. If Osimhen struggles initially, we have to wait because he was already anointed a 'long-term' signing before he was signed. We don't have that time.

Dannn411

Neither as we will have no chance at meeting the asking price for either. We should sign Evan Ferguson and try for Sesko.

Mainoldo

I’ll consider that in future.
I’ll break through the sarcasm.

Rashford as we know is fast

Garnacho will only get faster

Antony is fast he just runs to track back and uses it once a game.

Sancho’s no slouch he’s just not lightening

I don’t see why Osimhen makes much of a difference for speed. Just more players lacking intelligence of who to bring players in.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It's not really though, when you're losing your best player and source of the majority of your goals. They have more of a chance with Kane in the team, than without. I still don't understand how it's negligent. He's good as gone anyway, they paid nothing for him, they are better off getting as much time with him at the club as possible.

I genuinely don't think any of your arguments are from the perspective of the interest of Spurs, it's just reasons to justify your valuation. Every club has to buy smart, so do we. It's not important if they only get 60-70m euros, that's a pathetic fee for him. Again they don't have to accept lower than market value for him.

I'm interested to see what someone like @balaks , or any other spurs fans for that matter, thinks
I don't know what will happen this summer as a lot will depend on whether Conte gets backed by Levy and if he decides to stay. If Conte stays then I think it's likely Kane will also stay and sign a new contract. However there's also a fair chance he might decide to cut his losses and try for a move which probably would be to Utd. Then the question would be, would Levy sell him? I think if someone offered 80 million then Levy would be tempted to sell, anything less than that and Levy will laugh it out the door. As you said, Kane is worth a lot more to us with him in our team than a big lump of cash. With Kane in our team our chances of top four are much higher than without him and Levy will gamble on this rather than look to sell him, even if that means he might leave for free.

Telsim

Neither. A €100M + high wages for a 30-year-old striker or a €100M for a striker from Seria A? No, thanks.

Find someone else. Maybe Sesko, maybe someone else. But if I really have to choose just between those two, I'd take Osimhen.

Coops73

I voted Osimhen but if we get new owners Kane would be a statement signing so that’s what I think might actually happen and I wouldn’t be against it, he’s an excellent striker and would be great for us but I suspect only for a season or 2 and that’s why I would lean towards a younger more mobile striker.

Tarrou

Neither as we will have no chance at meeting the asking price for either. We should sign Evan Ferguson and try for Sesko.
Kane has one year left and likely won't cost more than 80, he'd be within our budget even without new owners

both of those are gonna be 50+ if we come calling anyway

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

I don’t see why Osimhen makes much of a difference for speed. Just more players lacking intelligence of who to bring players in.
Rashford and Garnacho are sufficiently fast. Fast enough to be outlets on a transition. However, they substitute for each other, and likely won’t be on the pitch at the same time. Antony is not sufficiently fast, not is Sancho, that they will give defenders something to worry about. Neither of them are capable of scoring the goals that Rashford scored against Arsenal and Liverpool this season. So teams really only have one player to worry about threatening in behind against us. Sancho being ‘no slouch just not lightning’ means he’ll be caught by all the ‘no slouch’ defenders he will be up against.’

Simply, if we had sufficient pace on both left and right, the idea of Kane would appeal more to me. He can play in between and look to release them. As it stands, we have only one runner, and we also don’t move the ball fast enough anyway. I fear that our game would be largely in front of teams. Compare that to Firmino dropping and having Salah left and right.

Mainoldo

Rashford and Garnacho are sufficiently fast. Fast enough to be outlets on a transition. However, they substitute for each other, and likely won’t be on the pitch at the same time. Antony is not sufficiently fast, not is Sancho, that they will give defenders something to worry about. Neither of them are capable of scoring the goals that Rashford scored against Arsenal and Liverpool this season. So teams really only have one player to worry about threatening in behind against us. Sancho being ‘no slouch just not lightning’ means he’ll be caught by all the ‘no slouch’ defenders he will be up against.’

Simply, if we had sufficient pace on both left and right, the idea of Kane would appeal more to me. He can play in between and look to release them. As it stands, we have only one runner, and we also don’t move the ball fast enough anyway. I fear that our game would be largely in front of teams. Compare that to Firmino dropping and having Salah left and right.
Antony is sufficiently fast he just doesn’t use it which is his problem. He had the young Crystal Palace player going full pelt to stay with him and Antony was dribbling. Dribbling… not kicking and running.

Antony has a real issue with his overall impact and directness. Which I questioned before we got him. What I didn’t realise was how fast he actually is.

As for Kane he’s done well for two years with Son being his pacey outlet. I don’t think it will matter with a player Just on the left offering that to us. Remember who are manager is. He’ll make it work.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I agree with this take. 60-70m isn't shit nowadays. They sold Bale all those years ago and what did it get them?
Maybe that gets them Vlahovic with the Juve connection, but unlikely. So you have to buy a downgrade, for more money.
I don't know what will happen this summer as a lot will depend on whether Conte gets backed by Levy and if he decides to stay. If Conte stays then I think it's likely Kane will also stay and sign a new contract. However there's also a fair chance he might decide to cut his losses and try for a move which probably would be to Utd. Then the question would be, would Levy sell him? I think if someone offered 80 million then Levy would be tempted to sell, anything less than that and Levy will laugh it out the door. As you said, Kane is worth a lot more to us with him in our team than a big lump of cash. With Kane in our team our chances of top four are much higher than without him and Levy will gamble on this rather than look to sell him, even if that means he might leave for free.
Thanks. Yeah, I think 80-90m is a fair value all things considered. As I said above, that still only gets you a downgrade.

Zed 101

Both will be ridiculously expensive, so probably neither unless the Glazers actually sell to a decent owner

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Kane slips straight into the side and pretty much guarantees 25+ goals next season.

Osimhen would be a huge gamble. How many Serie A strikers have adapted perfectly to the PL straight away?

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Never seen Osimeneh play, not a single game. However he's got a sexy name, therefore I vote osimeneh

Skills

Snitch
If we sign Kane, Ten Hag has to win the PL or CL within 2 seasons. No excuses.

You sign players over the age of 30 with a 3 year time frame in mind - and when you make one for the sort of financial commitment Kane would take, you have to win immediately.

croadyman

If we sign Kane, Ten Hag has to win the PL or CL within 2 seasons. No excuses.

You sign players over the age of 30 with a 3 year time frame in mind - and when you make one for the sort of financial commitment Kane would take, you have to win immediately.
Oh yeah I totally agree with that,however if he can put up those numbers in a so so Spurs team just imagine what he can do for a Utd team in need of that striker to put away chances

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

Sounds about right to me