Our Defence - Has it actually been fixed?

El Zoido

Telles would have played if he’d been available. Maguire is crap though.

Mike Smalling

It is absolutely shocking what we paid for Maguire. That decision in itself has proved to be extremely costly.

Based Adnan

It won't be fixed until Maguire is moved on

Whilst he's here he'll always play because of his price tag and the captaincy

Irwin99

The goal was disappointing again. Wouldn't mind seeing the Varane/Lindelof pairing. Still not convinced what our best back four is though.

James Peril

Harry maguire = Phil jones.
No discernible difference in calamitous decision making.
If Jones stayed fit for 35 games a season, he would be a much better player than Maguire. He is a better player by all accounts, but staying fit is as important as everything else obviously. Jones has respect for the line and understands defending, he knows his shortcomings too. Maguire is arrogant and naive to the fact that he is slow and clumsy, he makes risky moves like the one earlier in the game when he got carded. On another day, that’s a red for not paying attention or knowing where the danger is. Jones also heads the ball when it’s on the ground, unlike most.

Rockets Redglare

The goal was disappointing again. Wouldn't mind seeing the Varane/Lindelof pairing. Still not convinced what our best back four is though.
I don’t think it really matters either way, apart from Varane everyone else is average or worse.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
You know we will. No way will we let a player we signed for so much money leave on a free after a few years.
We were (are?) supposedly ready to give him a pay rise around the time we gave the other guy a 3-year deal. Shocking

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
At this point it's quite obvious that neither of Shaw and Maguire should be part of it if we want to compete for any trophies.

Really inconsistent defenders with dubious quality and really questionable mentality(which is probably the biggest question mark over them, Shaw still has problems with basic stuff on the pitch). I don't think they are cut for top club even if they have some talent and can be excellent on their day.

Is there really anyone who can watch them season after season and say they are good enough for a top team?

lsd

The Oracle
Shaw and Maguire were truly horrible they are like Laurel and Hardy

L1nk

Lindelof should be starting over Maguire whenever he is fit and able. Maguire is an absolute liability and isn't even an £8million defender, I don't care if he has a class game 1 in every 10 matches so that people say "see told you so he is a good defender achktually" he is absolutely diabolical

Paul_Scholes18

We need a top manager that can actually coach these players.

I have seen them all do better before. Maguire for example has been much better for England.

ti vu

Harry maguire = Phil jones.
No discernible difference in calamitous decision making.
That's not fair to Jones. Injury proneness destroyed Jones career. He never had chances to develop his game while losing the physicality of his game. The psychological aspect is no joke too.

With same durability like Maguire, Jones likely would have got a better career. He can last ditch tackle. Had some decent recovery pace. Used to have agility to turn. You don't contain Rooney around his peak years without great athleticism, and natural defending ability.

Then you look at Maguire being made look a clown by very ordinary attackers... If Maguire were as injury prone as Jones during his career, I doubt he's even in Championship team now.

Last edited:

Polar

Our defence will never be up to reguired standard (top 3 in PL) as long as Maguire is on the pitch. He is embarrassing slow and I’ve lost my faith in him. His performance today joined the ranks of plenty bad ones:(

croadyman

Every team smells vulnerability in that CB partnership is such a massive issue

Polar

Started to think Maguire and Shaw want to leave United and play down their value deliberately :mad:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Sure, Maguire's not playing to his level, but his level isn't good enough anyway and he places too severe tactical limitations on the team. I hope we get rid. But we are also needing to address the full back positions. I don't think Telles is anywhere close to good enough defensively, Shaw is too mercurial, and Wan-Bissaka is just not competent enough on the ball. For a modern progressive side, this is one hell of a problem.

We are fielding a back 4 where 3 of the 4 are not good enough and Lindelof is actually the most competent of the lot (whom I'd certainly have as a third choice centre back if things were optimal). Of course, they are not shielded by a DM and they are ahead of a keeper who is uncomfortable off his line.

The defense is so far from being settled it's tragic. 130m spent on two players who do not fit into a modern style. Madness.

jesperjaap

Sure, Maguire's not playing to his level, but his level isn't good enough anyway and he places too severe tactical limitations on the team. I hope we get rid. But we are also needing to address the full back positions. I don't think Telles is anywhere close to good enough defensively, Shaw is too mercurial, and Wan-Bissaka is just not competent enough on the ball. For a modern progressive side, this is one hell of a problem.

We are fielding a back 4 where 3 of the 4 are not good enough and Lindelof is actually the most competent of the lot (whom I'd certainly have as a third choice centre back if things were optimal). Of course, they are not shielded by a DM and they are ahead of a keeper who is uncomfortable off his line.

The defense is so far from being settled it's tragic. 130m spent on two players who do not fit into a modern style. Madness.
Agree, tooeasy to get round theback due to our full backs positioning along with lack of protection from the midfield and then we havecentr backs who cant defend the area from balls out wide.

I disagree on Lindelof though,maybe a decent squad options but his flaws are alawys exposed as soon as we play a decent side.

Where do you even start as a new manager in the summer? I barely see a 5 a side team of starters. We talk of priorities, but the defence almost needs rebuilding, the whole midfield certainly does and we will also uregently need attacking additions this summer.

Seriously hopeall these players supposedly unhappy and wanting to leave are....and do along with the contracts ending. Take away the new signings and youngsters, Im tired of pretty much all of the rest individually let alone as a team, the backing on some of these threads of underperforming or/and truly mediocre players baffles me

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Agree, tooeasy to get round theback due to our full backs positioning along with lack of protection from the midfield and then we havecentr backs who cant defend the area from balls out wide.

I disagree on Lindelof though,maybe a decent squad options but his flaws are alawys exposed as soon as we play a decent side.

Where do you even start as a new manager in the summer? I barely see a 5 a side team of starters. We talk of priorities, but the defence almost needs rebuilding, the whole midfield certainly does and we will also uregently need attacking additions this summer.

Seriously hopeall these players supposedly unhappy and wanting to leave are....and do along with the contracts ending. Take away the new signings and youngsters, Im tired of pretty much all of the rest individually let alone as a team, the backing on some of these threads of underperforming or/and truly mediocre players baffles me
You probably start from scratch (as Mourinho mentioned: It's easier to start from scratch). If there is not plenty of money available, you retain all the promising young players at the club with no loans and shed at least half the squad both making some money that way and clearing out toxic elements.

Honestly, we could be seeing Lingard, Pogba, Matic, Mata, Ronaldo, Cavani, Bailly, Jones, Henderson, DVB, Martial, all leave. I'd definitely sell one or both of Shaw/Telles, I'd seriously look to offload Maguire as it's just not feasible to carry him as a squad player given his captaincy status and cost, it's a high profile mess. It's unrealistic to offload de Gea, but we most definitely shouldn't be extending his deal. If we can offload AWB, great.

Admit that the last 8 years have been an absolute shit show and that it's time to start completely afresh. We've got quite a few young players we can bring into the team. If we're out of the CL next season we can deprioritise whatever European competition we're in for the youngsters, which would mean 6 group games. Having just a small squad for the league.

That's what I'd like to see anyway.

jesperjaap

You probably start from scratch (as Mourinho mentioned: It's easier to start from scratch). If there is not plenty of money available, you retain all the promising young players at the club with no loans and shed at least half the squad both making some money that way and clearing out toxic elements.

Honestly, we could be seeing Lingard, Pogba, Matic, Mata, Ronaldo, Cavani, Bailly, Jones, Henderson, DVB, Martial, all leave. I'd definitely sell one or both of Shaw/Telles, I'd seriously look to offload Maguire as it's just not feasible to carry him as a squad player given his captaincy status and cost, it's a high profile mess. It's unrealistic to offload de Gea, but we most definitely shouldn't be extending his deal. If we can offload AWB, great.

Admit that the last 8 years have been an absolute shit show and that it's time to start completely afresh. We've got quite a few young players we can bring into the team. If we're out of the CL next season we can deprioritise whatever European competition we're in for the youngsters, which would mean 6 group games. Having just a small squad for the league.

That's what I'd like to see anyway.
I totally agree, we cando it too as we have a huge squad of 36odd and several could leave from there own choice.

Personally, on top of those you mention leaving, Id be looking to sell a couple of big names. We have a squad of squad players, barely a deserved starter so why not just sell those with value. Bissaka, Maguire, Fred, Rashford for example, almost any two of those brings in £50-80m.

Theres lots of quality young players at the moment and several good free transfers too, all for me better than the above players and all would be cheaper.

All this "isnt football manager" "you cant bring in 5+ players in one window" "You cant get rid of 8+ in one window".....all should be nonsense this summer. We could comfortably clear out lots of players,bring in 6/7 have a near zero net spend,squad of25 with younger hungrier and better players.

Anybody thinking a few out and 4 in solves our problems is in dreamworld, that was shown in the summer window just gone

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I totally agree, we cando it too as we have a huge squad of 36odd and several could leave from there own choice.

Personally, on top of those you mention leaving, Id be looking to sell a couple of big names. We have a squad of squad players, barely a deserved starter so why not just sell those with value. Bissaka, Maguire, Fred, Rashford for example, almost any two of those brings in £50-80m.

Theres lots of quality young players at the moment and several good free transfers too, all for me better than the above players and all would be cheaper.

All this "isnt football manager" "you cant bring in 5+ players in one window" "You cant get rid of 8+ in one window".....all should be nonsense this summer. We could comfortably clear out lots of players,bring in 6/7 have a near zero net spend,squad of25 with younger hungrier and better players.

Anybody thinking a few out and 4 in solves our problems is in dreamworld, that was shown in the summer window just gone
Yeah, totally agree. Especially that last sentence. We need to start again.

Skills

Snitch
We conceded 54 goals in 38 games in 2018/19. On the back of that season, we decided to spend a £130m on our defence and sign Maguire & Wan-Bissaka.

So far this season, we've conceded 48 goals in 33 games.

croadyman

We conceded 54 goals in 38 games in 2018/19. On the back of that season, we decided to spend a £130m on our defence and sign Maguire & Wan-Bissaka.

So far this season, we've conceded 48 goals in 33 games.
Those two were waste of money and to think we turned down Koulibaly & Meunier for these clowns