Our Finishing

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Ronaldo and Bruno missing sitters week in week out. One of them is a 37 yo striker we’ve pinned our season on which shows how short term our clubs thinks.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
If you think it is bad, watch psg games. At least if we have penalties, I feel we are likely to convert them. I do believe though that our finishing could be better and it is hard to pinpoint a root cause

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
If we had a lethal no 9 , a prime RVP for example, we'd be such a stronger side. I think we had Greenwood earmarked for that position, but its going to take some significant investment now, and not easy managing Ronnie's situation.
So would pretty much every side in the league, including City. It's going to be very difficult if we can't move Ronaldo on in the summer.

MonkeysMagic

Since Van Nistlerooy we have not had a 1 in 2 striker. Most of our forwards since have been poor on chance conversion so the current malaise is nothing new.

Delano

The chances we miss are criminal.

But that forward line are a set of whiny, moaning children who go into hero mode when they miss a few chances.

So you see ludicrous shots, simple passes not taken and players trying to take on their whole team.

devlinadl

Why not go for kane? One year left on contract, is very very open to leave. Levy has to sell him this summer or lose him for nothing the next. He would be awesome for us I think. There isn’t a better striker with a better pass of the ball so I think he’d work really well with Ronnie. Still only 28 so got another 4-5 years at top level.
The only problem with this is that Kane will have two years left on his contract at the end of the season.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
We are creating chances that should be a simple tap into the net if we passed. I was saying this a month ago against Burnely or Aston Villa. If we passed instead of shot, we would have won the games comfortably.

ForeverRed1

If City go for him again he's definitely going there, but if they decide to go for somebody else then there's actually a fair chance of that happening.
I think much of it will depend on haaland possibly. There’s a big chance he goes there.

Judas

Open to offers
We are creating chances that should be a simple tap into the net if we passed. I was saying this a month ago against Burnely or Aston Villa. If we passed instead of shot, we would have won the games comfortably.
Yep. Its something City do and it makes all the difference. I would love to see the idea of passing to make a simple goal drilled hard into this side. So much greed.

UpWithRivers

We started the season thinking we had a world class attack with the additions of Ronaldo and Sancho. Now look at us.

croadyman

Dire to say the least we are trying to walk through defences too many times

Hester_manc

I read this today:

OpponentExpected goalsGoals scored
West Ham1,671
Middlesbrough4,321
Burnley1,671
S`ton2,531
Brighton2,572
Watford2,530

Seems like we are creating enough chances, but our finishing is very poor.

Last edited:

Lost bear

I read this today:

West Ham1,671
Middlesbrough4,321
Burnley1,671
S`ton2,531
Brighton2,572
Watford2,530

I once had a girlfriend who went to a top Swiss finishing school. I could give her a call….

Bearded One

Anyone that's relying on a forward that is well in his 30s to lead the line into the medium term has got to think again.

If we have not already started making serious advances at Haaland, we are not doing something right.

I reckon that he would want to associate himself with one of the big names of the game, a club with rich tradition and not some club that became "big" overnight.

croadyman

Anyone that's relying on a forward that is well in his 30s to lead the line into the medium term has got to think again.

If we have not already started making serious advances at Haaland, we are not doing something right.

I reckon that he would want to associate himself with one of the big names of the game, a club with rich tradition and not some club that became "big" overnight.
Yeah but why would he want to associate himself with a team who haven't won anything for 5 years

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I feel comforted by the fact that we are fashioning good scoring chances. Finishing will come with confidence and the addition of a young hungry striker in the next window.

Any new striking addition would have to be an unpolished gem as the big names will probably prefer to ply their trade with City or Liverpool as much as I hate to say it, where winning silverware is a possibility.

cyril C

I can't remember ever watching a Utd side as wasteful as this one. It's incredible just how many chances we manage to feck up.
Funny that when I watched the League Cup final, Chelsea was like us for the entire game, wasteful on sitter and a few rule-out. Liverpool could at least blame it on Mendy.

cyril C

I feel comforted by the fact that we are fashioning good scoring chances. Finishing will come with confidence and the addition of a young hungry striker in the next window.

Any new striking addition would have to be an unpolished gem as the big names will probably prefer to ply their trade with City or Liverpool as much as I hate to say it, where winning silverware is a possibility.
If our opposition is Chelsea or City or Liverpool, then I concur with such statement.

Chairman Steve

I can't remember ever watching a Utd side as wasteful as this one. It's incredible just how many chances we manage to feck up.
Mid-noughties transitional United springs to mind. We used to waste chances by the bucketload and get sucker punched into draws and losses when we should have won.

Red00012

I read this today:

West Ham1,671
Middlesbrough4,321
Burnley1,671
S`ton2,531
Brighton2,572
Watford2,530

You needed a table to prove that did you? :lol:

L1nk

This isn’t really the issue though is it. Everybody’s seemingly blaming Ronaldo and yes he hasn’t been great, but the issue is that everyone is missing chances, absolute sitters sometimes, if it was just Ronaldo thats less of an issue because he can be replaced, but its everyone! Chance after chance they can’t put away, worrying times.

World Game

I read this today:

West Ham1,671
Middlesbrough4,321
Burnley1,671
S`ton2,531
Brighton2,572
Watford2,530

So that's a total of 15.29xG.
An average finisher would've scored 15 goals.
Someone with half the skill would've scored 7-8.
We have scored 6.
Embarrassing.

Varun

Staff
When Mount missed from that Havertz pass yesterday, I went that's Ronaldoesque. That's how bad it's gone

Foxbatt

We don't play as a team. That's one of the reasons why we don't score. Yes sitters may be missed but the Bruno one he was stretching too.
Our players don't know what the other players are going to do in any given situation.
This probably is one reason why RR is getting them to practice 11v 11.
Too much dribbling is also creating an issue.

Grande

We don't play as a team. That's one of the reasons why we don't score. Yes sitters may be missed but the Bruno one he was stretching too.
Our players don't know what the other players are going to do in any given situation.
This probably is one reason why RR is getting them to practice 11v 11.
Too much dribbling is also creating an issue.
One quite obvious explanation, is that we are currently in a process of learning new attacking patterns. It works - evidenced by us creating more and more chances on the whole. But cool finishing is also a product of players being in situations they are comfortable in, knowing how they should finish and when, and having done it hundreds of times, becoming second nature. Ole built the play specifically to set up Rashford in his favorite position, Bruno in his favorite positions, and Martial in his. This was very efficient, but also vulnerable. He couldn’t make all of those three together have it like that and still stay defensively sound, or even build play sufficiently. Rangnik wants us to have a style of play were collective efficiency is more central than catering to the individual. Like Pep does. That will set up the same players in situations were they are less comfortable and experienced. Scoring regularily at that level is incredibly difficult, it demands of even the best players to feel comfortable and being able to trust their instincts. Likely, more and more players will finish with more regular output as they get used to this way of attacking. Which is why I hope we continue with a similar coach in the summer.