Our fitness regime and injuries

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Another ridiculous decision by the entire medical and coaching staff to allow Rashford to play lastnight.
Jesus wept. It's like Ferrari allowing a slow puncture tyre to be fitted during a pit stop. Pub teams have more cop on.
"Needed the win". If he'd been so conscious of a win, he'd have made better managerial decisions in the first game.
Clowns.
This for real??
Absolutely ridiculous post if so.

jackal&hyde

For the past seasons i don't know, but for this season it was to be expected.

There was an article about this on the Athletic that talked about the changes when you go from a more lethargic training regiment to a high intensity one. There were a few conclusions:
1) some players simply can't do it and they need to be moved on
2) from the ones that can, some of them will sustain injuries while their bodies adapt
3) it's worth going through the pain as you get a much fitter team with less injuries
4) it takes about 2 years of training to see the full results

The hindsight example was Liverpool in the first 2 years under Klopp as well as United in this first year. We had one of the if not the laziest teams in the league last year under Mourinho so the pressure on the players bodies is really big now.

Last edited:

The Firestarter

At this rate we need to sign 10 more players just to keep up with all the fecking injuries.

Josep Dowling

For the past seasons i don't know, but for this season it was to be expected.

There was an article about this on the Athletic that talked about the changes when you go from a more lethargic training regiment to a high intensity one. There were a few conclusions:
1) some players simply can't do it and they need to be moved on
2) from the ones that can, some of them will sustain injuries while their bodies adapt
3) it's worth going through the pain as you get a much fitter team with less injuries
4) it takes about 2 years of training to see the full results

The hindsight example was Liverpool in the first 2 years under Klopp as well as United in this first year. We had one of the if not the laziest teams in the league last year under Mourinho so the pressure on the players bodies is really big now.
This would make sense if we tried to play with Liverpool’s intensity. Our press is half hearted and we never attack with any real intensity so I’m not sure how our players are adapting to a more intense style, which in turn is meant to be causing injuries.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
10 years of injury crises isn't bad luck, it's incompetence. We should have the best medical staff in the world.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm so confused, I thought Ole would get us to be super fit after the pre-season? It's the only thing he kept banging on about last season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
At this rate we need to sign 10 more players just to keep up with all the fecking injuries.
We’ve really had the worst luck possible with injuries this season. We gambled and it failed massively. It was clear that our squad lacked quality. We had so many filler players, but we may have just gotten away with it if the little quality we have stayed for all season. Unfortunately, it is this quality that has been struck down. Barring Maguire, pretty much every outfield player expected to bring the class to the squad has had long term injuries this season.

We could barely make a worse list of players than Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Shaw to get long term injuries. Literally only Maguire missing from that list for it to be the complete set of top class first teamers. All of those players have sustained injuries keeping them out for at least 2 months this season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
10 years of injury crises isn't bad luck, it's incompetence. We should have the best medical staff in the world.
People love to slag off their club on here. Everything we do is the worst. How can a medical department stop a player fracturing his back? Or breaking a bone in his foot/ankle? Doing an ACL?

We probably have the best medics in the game.

Magical Manchester United

The thing I notice is that the injuries always seem to be a "training injury" or something innocuous. Other than Shaw against PSV you pretty much never see a player suffering a big injury in action. It will just be "Martial suffered an injury in training and will be out for 6 months"

Beans

Supports
Neutral
People love to slag off their club on here. Everything we do is the worst. How can a medical department stop a player fracturing his back? Or breaking a bone in his foot/ankle? Doing an ACL?

As I said, i can't believe 10 years of having an injury crisis every season is a coincidence. We don't have enough info to make that case clearly, but it seems we have a problem paying players when they're injured or tired, which is known to be very risky. Of all the posts that are sagging off this club, pointing out 10 years of injury crises is hardly me taking a dump on my team. It's just a simple fact.

Eddy_JukeZ

Apparently Rashford had a single stress fracture prior to the Wolves game.

So I think you should have rested him and allowed him to heal up.

The rest I agree with.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

The rest I agree with.
Thats not true. The source of that bollocks was some journo on twitter with no other sources. Think about it realistically. A single fracture is fine to play with but a double fracture is just too much?

Solskjær insisted Rashford had not been carrying the stress fracture before the Wolves game and that it was the result of the challenge from Matt Doherty. He appeared to confirm Rashford had a double fracture and ruled him out for a minimum of six weeks but added that after this the player would need “some recovery or rehab”.

Solskjær said: “Marcus suffered a stress fracture against Wolverhampton. I don’t know how long he will be out. We will give him enough time to heal. It’s normally six weeks before you get going slightly, probably, and then he will need time to get match-fit again.”

Solskjær was asked whether Rashford had one of the fractures before the Wolves replay. “No,” he replied. “It happened, both of those ... I don’t want to go into too much detail but it happened in that game. We’ve just got to deal without him for a while. He’s been absolutely fantastic all season. We had a similar spell with Anthony Martial out for eight weeks and Mason Greenwood got a few more games, he has got more experience. We’ll just have to deal with it.”
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...re-injury-manchester-united-england-liverpool

Its easy to say in hindsight that he never should have played vs Wolves (and he should not have), but i think serious questions have to be asked about our medical staff. If Rashford was in that bad of a shape that a single knock could injure him for weeks, he should not even had been training, never mind join the match day squad. Its the same as the Pogba situation really. Unless Ole is some Machiavellian villain whos only goal is to destroy the club from the inside, there is no way in hell he would risk his best players like that if he knew it could aggravate their injuries and sideline them for months.

Having such a thin squad is obviously not helping, but our physical/medical team have to be doing something very wrong considering all the injuries we are picking up. Liverpool for example play with much higher intensity than we can manage, and they have hardly had an injury all season.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Just be thankful you're not Newcastle, Watford or Bournemouth all are suffering worse injury lists than you

FrenchRed

This is what comes from having such a threadbare squad, especially with a clear 11 that are a class up from everyone else - the top players have to play week in week out.

Yes players play with niggles or injuries, but to run players into the ground (like Rashford) as we have no established backup is crazy. There was a reason SAF always had 4 good strikers, multiple backups for midfield etc. Arguably we were always a bit thinner at the back, but with Paly, Bruce, Stam, Rio and Vidic, they were never out for very prolonged periods.

You can't really blame Ole for the current squad, he is just reaping the 'benefit's'' of Ed and the previous few managers appalling lack of squad planning. He is in a place where he has to clear out deadwood, but players aren't coming in to replace them.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Thats not true. The source of that bollocks was some journo on twitter with no other sources. Think about it realistically. A single fracture is fine to play with but a double fracture is just too much?

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...re-injury-manchester-united-england-liverpool

Its easy to say in hindsight that he never should have played vs Wolves (and he should not have), but i think serious questions have to be asked about our medical staff. If Rashford was in that bad of a shape that a single knock could injure him for weeks, he should not even had been training, never mind join the match day squad. Its the same as the Pogba situation really. Unless Ole is some Machiavellian villain whos only goal is to destroy the club from the inside, there is no way in hell he would risk his best players like that if he knew it could aggravate their injuries and sideline them for months.

Having such a thin squad is obviously not helping, but our physical/medical team have to be doing something very wrong considering all the injuries we are picking up. Liverpool for example play with much higher intensity than we can manage, and they have hardly had an injury all season.
We could have avoided it if he just played the full team in the first leg instead of trying to half-ass it and made us play an extra game. Our squad is thin as it is, an extra game is just asking for trouble.

Water Melon

I'm so confused, I thought Ole would get us to be super fit after the pre-season? It's the only thing he kept banging on about last season.
Shows that we can not deliver neither result-wise, nor tactics-wise or fitness-wise. Need a complete overhaul.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
One of the richest club in the world should have the resources to get the best facilities and staffs rather than the shitshow we have.
"One of" indeed but that poster just said we should have the best medical team in the world. Maybe our players are natties and we need to seriously invest into PEDs

SteveW

This is what comes from having such a threadbare squad, especially with a clear 11 that are a class up from everyone else - the top players have to play week in week out.

Yes players play with niggles or injuries, but to run players into the ground (like Rashford) as we have no established backup is crazy. There was a reason SAF always had 4 good strikers, multiple backups for midfield etc. Arguably we were always a bit thinner at the back, but with Paly, Bruce, Stam, Rio and Vidic, they were never out for very prolonged periods.

You can't really blame Ole for the current squad, he is just reaping the 'benefit's'' of Ed and the previous few managers appalling lack of squad planning. He is in a place where he has to clear out deadwood, but players aren't coming in to replace them.
Spot on

SteveW

The rest I agree with.
The extra 3 days would have been enough yeah?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

The rest I agree with.
Why is that ‘apparent’? Ole specifically said the injury came in the Wolves game. I saw that Redcafe, in their infinite negativity, immediately declared within minutes of him going off, that he had been ‘playing with an injury for weeks’. Everyone gets injuries. Rashford less so than most footballers. He hasn’t played every game. He’s played most of them, as important players do for their teams. He’s come off the bench in a fair few though.

Even if he did have a single stress fracture, he was clearly still able to run around and play, which means even if he was left out against Wolves, he could have just as easily aggravated it again against Liverpool yesterday. Unless he should have just rested for a month or something.

Irwin99

This. In LvG's second season in charge where we had 50+ injuries or something ridiculous like that over the course of the season. I am no doctor, but we obviously do something very wrong considering how many injuries we pick up during a season
I do cringe a bit when injuries are brought up as I don't recall LVG getting nearly as much leeway as some are prepared to give Ole and his situation seemed far worse at time. The injuries this season seem to be more a case of players being run into the ground or making stupid decisions than pure bad luck. Shaw trying to run off a hamstring injury is a good case in point.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It's Ed's fault really. No short-term manager has an interest in long-term squad planning which should be the preserve of the DoF.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I do cringe a bit when injuries are brought up as I don't recall LVG getting nearly as much leeway as some are prepared to give Ole and his situation seemed far worse at time. The injuries this season seem to be more a case of players being run into the ground or making stupid decisions than pure bad luck. Shaw trying to run off a hamstring injury is a good case in point.
Well, i cant recall anyone slaughtering LvG for injuries either? Injuries are part and parcel of the game, but my point was that we having an injury list longer than most teams has happened across several managers with different styles so perhaps it points to something else?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Alongside all the injuries there’s also the issue that no other “big” club seems to have anything like the number of players that we do who have problems controlling their weight, or bulking up to the point where it destroys their ability to play.

Anderson
Rooney
Shaw
Memphis
Schweinsteiger
Lukaku

Is this because the sports scientists are hopeless, or simply an indication that the entire culture of the club is riddled with laziness and complacency?
We are under performing from top to bottom. The sports doctors who monitor the players are also under performing.
This is the very reason why we need to make changes from the top.
Get rid of Wodoward, who is as much used a boil on an arse; then introduce a DoF, whose responsibility it will be to sort out the mess of the footballing side of the club.
He'll need to be ruthless as several members of the non-playing staff need to be replaced.

I'm no doctor but even I could tell that Lukaku was too fat and it was hindering his ability to run up and down the pitch. He was probably the heaviest player in the entire EPL and that's just embarrassing.
And I also know that Shaw is also too fat. The Shaw problem is happening right this time, but what are the sports doctors doing about this? Nothing.
When Pep arrived at MCFC, he immediately gave each player weight targets to achieve. If the player failed - he was left to run his contract down or sold. Nasri was the most brutal casualty. Nasri, btw, is slimmer than Shaw.

And then there are the coaches....

I could go on, but you get my drift.

baskinginthesun

Not sure if it's our club or the league as a whole. Had a quick skim of some of the PL injuries and it seems a lot of teams lose players this time of year. My bet is that there is just too much football at the worse time of year. It cannot be easy to get warmed up and ready to play and train during the coldest, wettest part of the year on a daily basis which probably leads to these annoying injuries like strains and pulls.

As far as we are concerned, it seems worse because our squad is pretty thin, IMO. Having a decent bench would alleviate some of the issues we see.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
One of the richest club in the world should have the resources to get the best facilities and staffs rather than the shitshow we have.
In theory yes but the reality is that it probably mirrors what we do with players, that there are more tempting and interesting offers out there.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Maybe the players need more education about injuries? Also, if Rashford got a stress fracture from what looked like a fairly innocuous bang while he was spinning then I have to think he must have had some sort of stress region showing in his bones before that. The whole point of a stress fracture is that it's a fatigue reaction to repeated loading. Whether an MRI could pick up the evidence of the imminent fracture before it happens I don't know, but it must at least warrant a review in the medical department.

Meep

Maybe the players need more education about injuries? Also, if Rashford got a stress fracture from what looked like a fairly innocuous bang while he was spinning then I have to think he must have had some sort of stress region showing in his bones before that. The whole point of a stress fracture is that it's a fatigue reaction to repeated loading. Whether an MRI could pick up the evidence of the imminent fracture before it happens I don't know, but it must at least warrant a review in the medical department.
As I wrote in another thread. Rashford looks a bit stiff in lower back and hips and this should have been an issue for physio team years ago to fix.

We probably should buy Sheffield united's physio team, they seem to be doing a lot better.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
How highly is our medical department ranked and our physios? I'm not suggesting it's at fault for a number of injuries to an imbalanced and very thin squad, but it's not exclusively on Ole to keep playing players when they're injured or rushing them back when they're not ready.

Have we changed personnel there over the last 3 managerial reigns?