Our Forwards - Do we have enough goals?

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
It could also show that Ronaldo doesn't wanna stay here as a sub and playing the EL. I'm sure if he wanted to accept his new role, ETH wouldn't have an issue with keeping him.
A big player like that sulking all season long is a poison for the team
I'm a bit confused, you contradict yourself: "I'm sure if he wanted to accept his new role, ETH wouldn't have an issue with keeping him." vs "A big player like that sulking all season long is a poison for the team."

I think Ronaldo has behaved consistently poorly since returning to Manchester United and the label prima donna springs to mind. Even little things like getting the No. 7 shirt off Cavani. He said he was fine with that, but I don't think he was. Rather than speak out he accepted it, but at every opportunity, every little twinge or muscle strain, he made himself unavailable - possibly because he'd been persuaded to sign up to an extra year at United and then the club go and re-employ CR7 in his position.

There was all that kurfuffle pre-season - 'The King Plays' (and then the king fux off home, early) that sort of thing.... & I'm pretty certain that he had a chat with Bruno Fernandes as soon as he got to the club and told him whenever you get the ball the first thing you do is look to pass it to me. Bruno's game suffered as a result. There was definitely something going on - a power struggle of some sort - between himself and Maguire with the knock-on effect of a sort of Portuguese /English split in the dressing room. The manager seems to have solved that one for now by dropping them both! But its a long winter.

I don't actually know why he hasn't bought himself out of his contract, which he could easily afford to do, as a free agent he'd find a CL club no problem.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I'm a bit confused, you contradict yourself: "I'm sure if he wanted to accept his new role, ETH wouldn't have an issue with keeping him." vs "A big player like that sulking all season long is a poison for the team."

I think Ronaldo has behaved consistently poorly since returning to Manchester United and the label prima donna springs to mind. Even little things like getting the No. 7 shirt off Cavani. He said he was fine with that, but I don't think he was. Rather than speak out he accepted it, but at every opportunity, every little twinge or muscle strain, he made himself unavailable - possibly because he'd been persuaded to sign up to an extra year at United and then the club go and re-employ CR7 in his position.

There was all that kurfuffle pre-season - 'The King Plays' (and then the king fux off home, early) that sort of thing.... & I'm pretty certain that he had a chat with Bruno Fernandes as soon as he got to the club and told him whenever you get the ball the first thing you do is look to pass it to me. Bruno's game suffered as a result. There was definitely something going on - a power struggle of some sort - between himself and Maguire with the knock-on effect of a sort of Portuguese /English split in the dressing room. The manager seems to have solved that one for now by dropping them both! But its a long winter.

I don't actually know why he hasn't bought himself out of his contract, which he could easily afford to do, as a free agent he'd find a CL club no problem.
I am simply saying that if Ronaldo wants to leave for CL football for instances, he makes it easier for ETH to let him go (granted a replacement is found). However if he wanted to stay at our club, accept his new status (not an automatic starter anymore) then I'm sure ETH wouldn't have had an issue with keeping him.
Ronaldo has simplified things for ETH to say "I don't wanna keep him"

The White Pele

We could really do with a Cavani type to balance out our attacking options and then let Ronaldo go.

Given that we’re unlikely to spend big on another player now we’re effectively looking at a stop-gap or rotation option only. If not then we’ll settle for going through the season with Rashford/Martial again with Bruno chipping in. We’re effectively in a complete rebuild season again so we may have to make do but there’s bound to be some frustrating streaks in the season with those two.

Von Mistelroum

Time will show that we don't. Ronaldo seems to be declining rapidly (or just playing awfully due to wanting away), Martial is very regularly injured and has done nowhere near enough to warrant being considered our main striker...and these are our only strikers.

We could do with getting a target man or just a good striker who can get more than 10 goals in a season.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
I am simply saying that if Ronaldo wants to leave for CL football for instances, he makes it easier for ETH to let him go (granted a replacement is found). However if he wanted to stay at our club, accept his new status (not an automatic starter anymore) then I'm sure ETH wouldn't have had an issue with keeping him.
Ronaldo has simplified things for ETH to say "I don't wanna keep him"
I think I understand now: if Ronaldo stays and is happy as a sub, ETH will not have an issue with keeping him but if he isn't happy, then best he goes, because as you said: "A big player like that sulking all season long is a poison for the team."

The thing is, we pretty much know he isn't happy because he has promised to do an interview on the 1st September (or around that date) where he is going to reveal all from his little notebook.

As I said, if Ronaldo really wants to leave for CL football (because Messi is closing in on some of his records) why doesn't he buy out his own contract and get his freedom to move that way. Why is he playing games with Man United, does he feel they have treated him badly these last 12 months - hence the notebook of facts?

What was that tweet all about pre-season..... "the King plays"? I think he has become a little bit too self-obsessed and the thing is, he just isn't really a very good footballer anymore, he is just a marketing tool.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Add in Depay for free or a small fee and I think we will have enough this season if Ronaldo leaves, I hope he does leave as he wont be happy with a bench role. Hes playing up to the cameras and media now to show potential suitors he isnt a disruptive influence.

Could be miles from the mark, just my opinion on it.

AbusementPark

I read a couple of days ago some suggestion that Ronaldo might go on loan to Napoli - who are in the CL - but with United paying all his wages. Things seem to have gone quiet on that. But if that rumour was true, wow it shows just how much the manager wants him out of the dressing room, he's on what £380,000 a week!

I think he might actually stay now though, but we will see him mostly as a sub in the PL and starting in the Carabou Cup/Europa Cup. It is a bit sad really and I'd rather he retire gracefully (he can't need the money, he is possibly a billionaire now) than continue to flip and flop about gesturing all the time and looking grumpy. There was a moment in the Southampton game where he had a half-chance to get in on goal, but the pace had gone. I can't believe that you actually re-signed him last August on such a big wage - was a timed sprint not part of the medical?
Hes 37 and lost some of his pace, yes, I know the chance youre referencing and thought a younger Ronaldo wouldve buried it.
He was purchased because we needed a striker, was available and one of the best finishers in the world. We signed Varane and Sancho and looked like a team that would kick on and he would be the missing piece, it didnt really work out that way due to a combination of things, tactics, players and owners.

He should take a lesser role this season as he slows up the play and more likely to give away possession and not press the way we need him to. With the World Cup coming up he wont risk injury and will not run himself into the ground. This could be his last chance to win the World cup so will try everything he can to be in peak physical condition and fitness levels.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think I understand now: if Ronaldo stays and is happy as a sub, ETH will not have an issue with keeping him but if he isn't happy, then best he goes, because as you said: "A big player like that sulking all season long is a poison for the team."

The thing is, we pretty much know he isn't happy because he has promised to do an interview on the 1st September (or around that date) where he is going to reveal all from his little notebook.

As I said, if Ronaldo really wants to leave for CL football (because Messi is closing in on some of his records) why doesn't he buy out his own contract and get his freedom to move that way. Why is he playing games with Man United, does he feel they have treated him badly these last 12 months - hence the notebook of facts?

What was that tweet all about pre-season..... "the King plays"? I think he has become a little bit too self-obsessed and the thing is, he just isn't really a very good footballer anymore, he is just a marketing tool.
The man is greedy, he wants the best of everything without losing financially which at his age, is ridiculous. He can control his destiny by doing what you said, buying out his contract and reducing his wages

Strelok

He was purchased because we needed a striker
Please don't rewrite history ffs. It was clear for months that he wanted to leave Juve but we only bought him in the last day of the transfer window because if not he'd go to City. We clearly didn't need him and had no plan whatsoever for him.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
Please don't rewrite history ffs. It was clear for months that he wanted to leave Juve but we only bought him in the last day of the transfer window because if not he'd go to City. We clearly didn't need him and had no plan whatsoever for him.
I agree with this, in fact its a bit of a 'conspiracy theory' but not totally bonkers (like the fake moon landings) that Manchester City just hinted they might buy Ronaldo in the knowledge that Man United wouldn't allow that to happen. It worked and it has cost United a ton of money and caused a load of grief in the dressing room which I think contributed to a terrible 2021/22 season at Old Trafford.

Leaving that aside, I wonder what people think about this which I was wondering about recently: in the past we always thought that due to sports science and dietry advances players would be able to carry on to late 30s maybe even 40 - we saw with Scholes and Giggs and Teddy Sherringham early examples of that.

But it doesn't really seem to happen anymore and you don't even see older goalkeepers like previously. Is it because of the move to the pressing-style game and sweeper keepers? Is the game even more physically demanding and quicker than say 20 years ago so that despite the better training methods and special diets etc. 35 is now an upper limit for pretty much every player in this generation?

Alternatively maybe because the money these days is so stratospheric - a megastar player at 35/36 doesn't need to play till 40 as they already have more money than they need for life even when compared with stars from 10-15 years back.

AbusementPark

How did we not need him? Yes he became available and who wouldn’t want a player of that calibre? He was offered to a lot of clubs, was the city interest genuine?

How would they have fitted him and Haaland into the team this season if he went there.

They have a clear recruitment plan and we dont, we did need a striker and glazers weren’t going to buy one, the need was still there though. He was available cheap and should have been the missing link with all the new signings.

Strelok

How did we not need him? Yes he became available and who wouldn’t want a player of that calibre? He was offered to a lot of clubs, was the city interest genuine?

How would they have fitted him and Haaland into the team this season if he went there.

They have a clear recruitment plan and we dont, we did need a striker and glazers weren’t going to buy one, the need was still there though. He was available cheap and should have been the missing link with all the new signings.
You conveniently leave the point we didn't even bother considering signing him prior to the City rumours. You can check the Ronaldo transfer thread last year and you'd see. Anyway it'd be a waste of time continue this conversation so bye.

35 is now an upper limit for pretty much every player in this generation?
There's still many players atm playing well to their 35+ I think. Imo of course it depends on each player's body but also their playing style. Midfielders and defenders generally last longer than strikers. Among strikers target strikers generally last longer than pacey ones. You got old you lose your pace. If your game is based on pace you won't last very long.

Anyway to answer your question it'd need some big professional study so honestly I simply don't have the answer.

AbusementPark

You conveniently leave the point we didn't even bother considering signing him prior to the City rumours. You can check the Ronaldo transfer thread last year and you'd see. Anyway it'd be a waste of time continue this conversation so bye.

There's still many players atm playing well to their 35+ I think. Imo of course it depends on each player's body but also their playing style. Midfielders and defenders generally last longer than strikers. Among strikers target strikers generally last longer than pacey ones. You got old you lose your pace. If your game is based on pace you won't last very long.

Anyway to answer your question it'd need some big professional study so honestly I simply don't have the answer.
You must have a superiority complex that you can’t handle an adult conversation. We weren’t interested in him as we didn’t see him as being available to us. How do you know we weren’t interested before the city interest? It might not even be genuine either, not everything in the paper is real, sometimes they make things up. His agent was doing the same thing as what he’s doing now and offering Ronaldo to every club going, he announced he was leaving and within a day or two signed for united.

MrBest

I don't get why Ronaldo cannot goal hang like Haaland. It's good to have strikers that have different games. We really do need another forward though, antony, rashford, sancho, Martial and Ronaldo are the only senior players we have there, Martial is injury prone so call that 4 players for 3 positions. We then have two youth players in garnacho and elanga, potentially pellistri too. If delay is available for cheap, we should grab him or a 25m bid for gakpo to add extra cover and competition.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I think we’ll be alright aslong as we’re creating enough chances for the forwards to finish off. That Antony will probably chip in with a few, he loves to curl them in with his left foot. We need eriksen and Bruno to chip in with a lot more goals to.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Was obvious pre season but somehow we spent £200m without addressing it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If Martial gets fit then yeah I think we'll be ok. Ronaldo needs replacing with anyone

croadyman

Nope and that won't change until summer 2023 at least,sickening those leeches won't let us buy one in January and one next summer because of fecking dividends

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
With Martial this team as a whole has enough goals.. Replace him with Ronaldo of 2022/23 we don’t.
Any club with common sense will bin him January. We really have to move on and stop letting has beens run the asylum.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I think we score too many.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
This time last year I warned we wouldn't score enough goals. I really think we need two strikers (one of which should not be Neymar) in the summer

ForeverRed1

Nowhere near good enough this season, which is why we’re looking at kane. Mount also has a cheeky goal and assist or two in him. Add a young striker like hojlund and you potentially got 60 goals between those three players alone.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Was looking through the numbers over the years. This is actually our best season post Sir Alex in terms of xG in the league. Will be nice to see the jump both in the analytics but especially actual numbers once we get an actual #9 in. Wouldn't be surprised for us to get in the 80's next season.

Appletonred

Neymar, Kane, and Rashford, as the front 3 would be just incredible, if Qatar are the new owners....

RickRudesDong

Neymar, Kane, and Rashford, as the front 3 would be just incredible, if Qatar are the new owners....
They wouldn't work well with each other. Hasn't exactly been a roaring success at PSG having three MVPs.

City are the model to follow: one goal machine supported by pacey or creative players.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
They wouldn't work well with each other. Hasn't exactly been a roaring success at PSG having three MVPs.

City are the model to follow: one goal machine supported by pacey or creative players.
Comparing an ageing Messi and club owner Mbappe with Kane and Rashford seems a bit of a stretch.
Messi, Suarez and Neymar didnt do too badly if I remember.
Its as much how the personalities would gel and lets be honest , we dont have a clue how that would go.

Actually reading back your last comment
City are the model to follow: one goal machine ( Kane) supported by pacey ( Rashford) or creative ( Neymar) players.