Our league drought | 6 years and counting

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Something to track our progress as we slowly transition into Liverpool.

How long do you think our league drought will last? When do we lift the PL trophy again?

Based on our current squad, the track record of the people in charge of transfers, and the rise of Liverpool/City - I'm going for 2027/28, ending a 15 year drought.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Who knows? I’d have said the same for Liverpool just 2 years ago. Things can change very quickly with the right signings/formula.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
it's impossible to say. Liverpool finished 8th when Klopp took over. City won the leage within 4-5 years of their massive investment. Chelsea won it within 3 years or something. All depends on whether the club will actually invest and adapt a proper transfer policy. Could be 2 years, could be 20 years.

thegaffa

Supports
Chelsea
I think any hopes of a title are long gone we are a mid table team

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
Of course you can't predict the future. I'm asking you to take a guess so that you could be the annoying poster who bumps an old thread and says 'aha! I told you so!'

El Zoido

We won’t win it until the Glazers and Woodward are gone, however long that may be. We’re so poorly run and so far behind the top teams, it’s hard to imagine a point where we ever challenge for the league again.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Something to track our progress as we slowly transition into Liverpool.

How long do you think our league drought will last? When do we lift the PL trophy again?

Based on our current squad, the track record of the people in charge of transfers, and the rise of Liverpool/City - I'm going for 2027/28, ending a 15 year drought.
I recall Danny Mills saying it would take 5 years at least when we sacked Moyes.

Did anyone laugh back then?

Dolf

We won’t win it until the Glazers and Woodward are gone, however long that may be. We’re so poorly run and so far behind the top teams, it’s hard to imagine a point where we ever challenge for the league again.
I agree with this. The problem is not just the manager or the players. It's the entire structure of our club. We have practically no football men in our board.

john moran

Oh, my sweet summer child.
He may not be so wrong . This was Liverpool's year or should have been . Madrid need a rebuild , especially up front if they were to target Sane and Salah i believe they would get them . United will rebuild , especially if the Glaziers sell . Chelsea will also rebuild so in all likelihood the League in a year or two will not be the two horse race it is now

Last edited by a moderator:

djembatheking

we won't win another title under Glazer ownership and the Glazers won't care .
Next time we're champions we will be a Saudi owned oil club .

RuudTom83

You can see Sky Sports doing a piece on United once the 10th Year arrives.

I can’t see where the next title will come from to be honest, seems very very far away.

AgentP

He may not be so wrong . This was Liverpool's year or should have been . Madrid need a rebuild , especially up front if they were to target Sane and Salah i believe they would get them . United will rebuild , especially if the Glaziers sell . Chelsea will also rebuild so in all likelihood the League in a year or two will not be the two horse race it is now
Madrid also need an LCB to replace Ramos who is getting old. I can think of only CB who can do that job ;)

Havak

Pokemon master
I am personally of the opinion that so much needs to happen at our club that it will take plenty of time. I would be surprised if we finish higher than 2nd under Ole's initial contract, but the aim is obviously to win the league as soon as we possibly can. I think we have to be realistic because even though on the face of it, it only took Liverpool 2-3 signings and a bit of stability to go from 25 points adrift to potential champions, it won't be that simple - especially if City and Liverpool manage to stay at their current level or close to it for the next couple of years.

So, I personally don't expect a title until the 22/23 season at the earliest. A bit depressing to say, but there really is just too much wrong with our club for my liking and it isn't just the players or the manager.

Judas

Open to offers
Things can change quickly with the right decisions, but I don't trust us to make them. Think we'll be looking at a good ten years without a title, which is just so bizarre, but its what we deserve at the moment.

Raw

Even if we started making the right decisions this summer, it would still take at least a couple of seasons to make us title challengers. However I have no faith in that happening.

But surely if you keep throwing enough money at it something is bound to work. Issue is if we're even going to make that money when we go through such a long draught by Man Utd standards.

I'm going to guess the 23/24 season. 4 seasons from now. We'll win a few trophies here and there for sure, but the league title demands perfection. I imagine it'll be easier as Pep will have likely fecked off by then but who knows with Klopp.

neilv93

I have no faith going forward. There's the potential for us to make smart moves in the upcoming summer window but I can see us failing to recruit properly as always and continuing the downward trend.

I think we won't win it before the 10-year mark, sadly. But I can't see us doing a Liverpool and having 29 years away from the top.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Honestly I think it is going to take you 3 years minimum to turn the club around if things go to plan - however that is only if the place if restructured and you get all the stuff off the pitch and on the pitch sorted which is hard to see right now. Whether that would get the club near the level of City I can't see it. You could be looking at 5-10 years. I think there are significant problems in the way your club is run that needed sorted.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I see it extending to 10 for sure. Beyond that it depends on whether we would have made big progress by then or not.

City and Liverpool are far better managed than us. This will take a lot more time and pain to correct.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout

Infra-red

It is not on the horizon.

The next three years will be spent rebuilding. The three after that will be spent selling all the useless players we stocked up on during this rebuild. During that time we'll have burned through at least 3/4 managers and won't have come close to the title.

It is the Man United way.

Mike Smalling

We will need 2-3 years of almost flawless transfer activity to bring our squad to the level of City. Then there is the question of developing tactics and playstyle to match the squad, which will need some consistency in the manager position. It's gonna be a long, hard grind to get back to the top.

I expect the drought to increase to at least 10 years before we get another title.

Raw

It is not on the horizon.

The next three years will be spent rebuilding. The three after that will be spent selling all the useless players we stocked up on during this rebuild. During that time we'll have burned through at least 3/4 managers and won't have come close to the title.

It is the Man United way.
Forgot to mention that Smalling and Jones will still be our starting CBs.

dove

The direction we are going I think we will easily reach 20 years.

Raw

We will need 2-3 years of almost flawless transfer activity to bring our squad to the level of City
Definitely. You look at the transfers they and Liverpool have made under Pep and Klopp respectively, and it's amazing. Barely anyone they've brought in has flopped. Even Mahrez who is deemed not good enough for City is on 11 goals and 11 assists in all competitions.

Whereas in our case at least half of our transfers are flops, or don't live up to their expectations. Problem is there's no foundation, structure and productive playing style for players to thrive in, and we often buy the wrong players for the style of play we want to achieve. We need to rectify that ASAP if we ever want a chance of a title in the next few seasons.

Bwuk

2 years is a long time in football.

If Ole is given the £££ and spends it well, we could be challenging again.

Our squad is nowhere near good enough.