Our options are limited, who next?

Aloysius's Back 3

Of course, but so was giggs and the club gave it to him on an interim basis. Carrick imop is infinitely more carismatic. Managing a united, barca, real, bayern sized club is a unique challenge and he knows the club inside out and will the club first not his own agenda.

Not saying on a permanent basis just as interim until a proper dof and football strategy is drawn up. We need to wait for the right man, not go "galactico" flavour of the month manager again.
I think more than that we need to be more efficient with the things we do.

For example :
During Moyes or LVG tenure we should have sacked them early to give the role to Giggs to see if he could ever possibly take over & handle the job for 10+ games - if he could then we had someone who we could come back to in the future knowing it worked previously for some time.

Likewise - now that Jose has to go; it's the perfect time to put someone like Butt or Carrick in there & to see how they do. If both fail there fair enough - bring Zidane in; but if they don't again we have some sort of long term answer.

During these times of replacing a manager we need to think about knocking 2 birds with one stone.

Hiring ex players is becoming an answer that is almost impossible to ignore.

Shamsu007

Monaco's recent sales: Mbappe, Lemar, Mendy, Balde, Bakayoko, Moutinho, Bernardo Silva, Fabinho and the list goes on. He beat PSG to the league title on a fraction of the budget and developed these players to be sold on at a huge surplus. Knocked City out if the CL over 2 legs playing attractive fast counter attacking football.

Give him a transfer budget and a stable team and he would succeed. I also think he would get the best out of the young players we have, Pogba, Martial, Shaw, Dalot, Fred, Rashford would excel under him.

Zidane has an amazing record but wage bill aside our squad doesn't compare to what he inherited at Real.

I don't understand this narrative of Zidane inheriting a good squad(which is the truth), but is it not the same squad at the disposal of a more experienced manager ie Benitez. Lets give credit where it is due, Zidane did a great job at Madrid and we need to recognise that.

I am joining the bus of go get Zidane, what we need is patience. Sacking Mourinho now makes a lot of sense, but it will take a miracle for any manager to turn this dismal season into success. What the board need now is not to rush in getting the best available manager, but to really find someone who has what it takes to manage this club and above all move Ed to where he really belongs and bring in someone with a vast knowledge in the game to take up that role. Even if it meant to get someone on temporary basis it will be nice rather rushing for the best available man out who might not be exactly what need.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I wonder how the team would look if say in a parallel universe Guardiola took over the job tomorrow.

Given how he's constructed Man. City I would say he'd leave Lukaku as a sub option, play either Martial or Rashford as striker through the middle and would probably go for a midfield trio of something like Fred, Pogba and Peireira. He'd still have a problem with the FBs though as he did in his first season at Man. City.

Would be something a bit more radical though which you won't be getting anytime soon from the current manager as Lukaku is certain starter which means you have to play a certain way.

MataFanatic

Luis Enrique would be a decent shout I think. Plays attacking football and has won things at a massive club. Might be an effort to pry him away from the Spain team but it'd be worth it

wolvored

If Crerand had paid attention he would have known too. Of course as fans we don't know for sure but I was convinced Mourinho would come in.
We all thought it. In fact my cousin won £20 bet with his mate at xmas! Nothing got leaked though.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Pochettino seems impossible to me and in June almost impossible.
You name Luis Enrique. After what happened with Lopetegui, it would be funny if another coach leaves the national team, although it could be a good profile.
Among the "famous" coaches I can only think of Conte and Zidane.
Selfishly I would like you to choose Conte. I think it would be hard for me to see Zidane on another team so soon.
However after two coaches so tiresome and obsessive as Van Gaal and Mou I don't think that Conte is the most appropriate option.
Is there a former player with a coach's license working in the club?
or without being a former player, someone promising? The coach of the youth team?

You name Luis Enrique. After what happened with Lopetegui, it would be funny if another coach leaves the national team, although it could be a good profile.
Selfishly I would like you to choose Conte. I think it would be hard for me to see Zidane on another team so soon.
However after two coaches so tiresome and obsessive as Van Gaal and Mou I don't think that Conte is the most appropriate option.
or without being a former player, someone promising? The coach of the youth team?
The only person right now is Mckenna he's not a former player but he coached and won the league with the under18s.

Long Ball

Carrick is a first team coach atm, as is McKenna who was a former spurs prospect/coach, coached the academy to success playing attractive football. There is also nicky butt coaching the youth or reserves/ academy director it's escapes me right now I've had too much Keo celebrating the Ryder cup

Xaviboy

What about Laurent Blanc? I can't actually remember what his playing style was for a manager. I do know he was the psg manager and had a good squad at his disposal but he played for Utd under fergie and knows the club. Can someone tell me what to expect if he was the manager for us?

logan99

We need a manager who:
a) play an attack football
b) have the PL and CL as real objectives
c) can handle a huge level of pressure {from the club and the media}
d) can motivate the players and control the dressing room
e) can motivate talented players to reach our club. {It also depends if he can make managers understand the need for better transfer policies}.
f) can generate a credible project in the short term with a team without (or very few) superstars.

Today we have a defensive manager without good defenses, a manager who can not motivate his players, and everything indicates that he lost the dressing room.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Klopp took over Liverpool from Rodgers on the 8th of October - point being, you can make long-term, sensible managerial changes mid/early season.

Bring in Zidane, and do it now.

Then in Summer remove Woodward from his current status - the man is embarrassing and has presided over the entire 'fail years'.
Woodward and his bosses are the real problem. And make sure the manager has some cheer about him. Look at Klopp, mad as a hatter, but cheerful and positive. Mourinho? "I am the special one" Moaning and whinging and delivering jack shit since he came to United. Every week critisizing one player or another, Feck off Jose, your style of football makes me want to curl up and sleep.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Carrick is a first team coach atm, as is McKenna who was a former spurs prospect/coach, coached the academy to success playing attractive football. There is also nicky butt coaching the youth or reserves/ academy director it's escapes me right now I've had too much Keo celebrating the Ryder cup
The only person right now is Mckenna he's not a former player but he coached and won the league with the under18s.
Thanks,I have heard about McKenna. He looks so young that causes vertigo to think that he will take charge of all the problems, although on the other hand if he does not opt for the position now I do not know when he will

The Real Treble 99

Get in the class of 92. Nobody better than them in understanding the core heritage of Man Utd plus they might be cheaper to employ rather than paying out ridiculous wages to some foreign coach with no understanding of the club. Could also save us some money to buy some more players which we clearly need to bolster up this average team.

Dante

Average bang
Moyes was a safe choice (Premier League veteran, similarly direct style to Ferguson, a decent fit for a squad that was already used to playing with width and counterattacks).

LvG was a safe choice (CL winner, proven at numerous top clubs).

Mourinho was a safe choice (treble winner, plus many other titles besides).

Evey single one of those appointments was a reaction to the man they replaced. We went from a SAF dynasty to wanting to create another dynasty with Moyes. But Moyes lacked big club experience so we brought in LvG, who had big club experience in heaps. But LvG was an idealist so we brought in Mourinho, who was a famed pragmatist. Now Mourinho has seemingly failed, too. Apparently because his methods are 'outdated'. So it suddenly looks like we're going to try and get Zidane because he's the most recent CL winner and therefore 'modern'. It's all so predictable and all so reactive. Woodward's leading the club by the nose.

Rather than another safe choice and another transparent over-correction, I'd be happy to take a risk this time. A Giggs or an Espirito Santo or some other young upstart with a bit of ambition and a massive set of balls.

Longlivekeano

Bielsa (from Leeds- do a managerial Cantona)

Simeone (break the bank for him and drag along Griezmann, Godin)

Womp

idiot
We are going to sign Zidane, and he is going to fail. His Madrid teams weren't largely impressive by any means. What he did do though is remove the whole circus from Madrid, which allowed their phenomenal players to flourish. Zidane is more Mourinho than he is Pep or Klopp.

Poch has won feck all, don't know why people are so eager on him, consistently disappoints. Sarri, Klopp, Jardim etc. has destroyed the argument that you need a great team from head to toe to compete. I'd go for Jardim. Improves youngsters and doesn't seem to have much baggage around him.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
We are going to sign Zidane, and he is going to fail. His Madrid teams weren't largely impressive by any means. What he did do though is remove the whole circus from Madrid, which allowed their phenomenal players to flourish. Zidane is more Mourinho than he is Pep or Klopp.

Poch has won feck all, don't know why people are so eager on him, consistently disappoints. Sarri, Klopp, Jardim etc. has destroyed the argument that you need a great team from head to toe to compete. I'd go for Jardim. Improves youngsters and doesn't seem to have much baggage around him.
People like Pochettino for his style of football, say what you like about his trophy record but he plays an aggressive attacking style of football. Klopp isnt an option, I dont think Pochettino is either due to his desire to have complete control over the squad.

Zidane is a big name that would command respect, but is he right for United? Jardim would be a lower key signing but for me, the better option.

Womp

idiot
People like Pochettino for his style of football, say what you like about his trophy record but he plays an aggressive attacking style of football. Klopp isnt an option, I dont think Pochettino is either due to his desire to have complete control over the squad.

Zidane is a big name that would command respect, but is he right for United? Jardim would be a lower key signing but for me, the better option.
Yes but there are managers who play good football and are also capable of winning, Jardim being an example.

simplyared

Some interresting options on this thread but players like Pogba, Martial, Lingard, Rashford, Sanchez have massive egos, if they won't play for Jose what makes anyone think they will play for E Howe, Big Sam or Jardim. We probably would all agree that our next manager should be the following;
  • Decent Human Being with good morales and an excellent man motivator that stays away from unecessary media attention
  • Has played the game to a high level
  • Has Managed the game to a high level including Champions league or National experience
  • Has excellent communication skills with his player
  • Can speak multi languages, English, Spanish, Italian, French
  • Invests in Youth and gives them a chance
  • Is Tactically Flexible and can make the hard calls within the game
  • Improves players by excellent Training methods
  • Believes in his own conviction
  • Plays Attacking Football and knows his best formation and best team
  • Has a blueprint for success short term and long term
  • Has won domestic Titles and European Titles
  • Has Brand awareness and can assist the Club in this Field.
  • Is a relative Young Man in Management arena preferably under 50 to allow us to buid a 10 year dynasty
As you can see the wish list is almost impossible to fill but why shouldn't United as one of the biggest clubs in World Football demand the best option!

Pep is quite rightly considered the best Manager in World football right now but the last time I checked he had won 1 less Champions League trophy than Zidane plus Pep has not won that trophy for 8 years! So bar the Speaking English which Zidane is keen to learn he ticks all the above boxes and more importantly will cost the club no compensation Fee. Enough of the Whose Next conversation, there is clearly only 1 candidate currently available and suitable for our Great Club!

ZZ may not be perfect but he will conduct himself in the right way and take the spotlight off of the players instantly!
Roberto Martinez! He's our man!

Slysi17

think Leonardo Jardim would be the best choice. Similar to Jurgen Klopp in how he beat a dominant team to the league title. Surely it would be easier to get him if we put in a good offer especially since AS Monaco are not doing very well at the moment. Would get the best out of Martial and Pogba as well. Been saying he is the right choice from the very beginning.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Some interresting options on this thread but players like Pogba, Martial, Lingard, Rashford, Sanchez have massive egos, if they won't play for Jose what makes anyone think they will play for E Howe, Big Sam or Jardim. We probably would all agree that our next manager should be the following;
  • Decent Human Being with good morales and an excellent man motivator that stays away from unecessary media attention
  • Has played the game to a high level
  • Has Managed the game to a high level including Champions league or National experience
  • Has excellent communication skills with his player
  • Can speak multi languages, English, Spanish, Italian, French
  • Invests in Youth and gives them a chance
  • Is Tactically Flexible and can make the hard calls within the game
  • Improves players by excellent Training methods
  • Believes in his own conviction
  • Plays Attacking Football and knows his best formation and best team
  • Has a blueprint for success short term and long term
  • Has won domestic Titles and European Titles
  • Has Brand awareness and can assist the Club in this Field.
  • Is a relative Young Man in Management arena preferably under 50 to allow us to buid a 10 year dynasty
As you can see the wish list is almost impossible to fill but why shouldn't United as one of the biggest clubs in World Football demand the best option!

Pep is quite rightly considered the best Manager in World football right now but the last time I checked he had won 1 less Champions League trophy than Zidane plus Pep has not won that trophy for 8 years! So bar the Speaking English which Zidane is keen to learn he ticks all the above boxes and more importantly will cost the club no compensation Fee. Enough of the Whose Next conversation, there is clearly only 1 candidate currently available and suitable for our Great Club!

ZZ may not be perfect but he will conduct himself in the right way and take the spotlight off of the players instantly!
You make some good points, but in the end it's much simpler. The next manager should have United win football matches. Who cares if he has good morals, if Mou won the league and the FA cup last year and got far in the CL, do you really think people care if he acts like a decent human being? The "Mou is a cnut" argument is just a convenient stick to beat him with, but not at all relevant in the big picture. Look at the adulation for Simeone and his Atletico side. They're horrible to watch and Simeone is a fecking clown, but no one cares. In the end, any coach after Mou will be a risk. There's just no manager in world football that would be an unequivocal success. Zidane won the CL a few times sure, but the team he found in Madrid, albeit in dissaray, had an insane amount of talent and potential. More so than United's current squad. I think it's getting over analyzed to be honest.

I think the manager is less important than the structure above the manager. Look at the most successful teams in recent years, none of them came to their successes under a single manager. They just have a certain basic structure and vision that makes it easy for a manager to succeed their. At United it's currently the opposite. No matter who you replace José with, if the structure above doesn't change he will just fail to and it's a matter of time before the <insert name> out thread is created on here.

JoaquinJoaquin

Get in the class of 92. Nobody better than them in understanding the core heritage of Man Utd plus they might be cheaper to employ rather than paying out ridiculous wages to some foreign coach with no understanding of the club. Could also save us some money to buy some more players which we clearly need to bolster up this average team.
This is just stupidity. What other club gives that kind of sentiment? None. Romance stories like that don't end well.

Red_toad

RB Leipzig's next manager, current Psg manager who just started, Spurs current manager for whom Levy will ask for a kings ransom. I don't see how any of them are options.

Jardin I agree is an option.
His team are 3rd bottom in their league! Is that what we're aspiring to?

Gopher Brown

This is just stupidity. What other club gives that kind of sentiment? None. Romance stories like that don't end well.
I agree. If we go down that whole romantic notion the day will come where we have to sack Giggs, Scholes, Butt, G Nev etc.

I’d suggest it would come fairly soon after their appointment too.

Red_toad

Real did pretty decent with their appointment of a club legend?
Pep was an excellent appointment for Barca also.
Simone at Athletic
King Kenny at pool
Del Bosque at Real

Pretty sure there are numerous others. But yeah obviously none of them ended well ;)

RE1999

What, as fans, do we actually want? Is it success, or playing youth, or trophies, or attacking football or a combination? I've seen a bit of each thrown around recently.

Would we be annoyed if Simeone came in, played even more boring football but delivered trophies based on defensive strength? Would we eventually tire of playing attacking football only to not win trophies at the end of the season?

Very difficult for the board to manage all the competing interests, particularly when there is no stand out candidate they can pin their colours to and say 'this is what we are doing now'.

The only things for certain are that (1) a new long term manager will demand a substantial sum of money to spend or the guarantee of new players (particularly defenders) and (2) the boards' interests are not the same as the fans).

Reactions: Penna

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
a short-term appointment until we get our shit together and work out what sort of manager we actually want.
We've actually had about 5 years to figure the answer to that question...and I still don't believe that we are anywhere near solving it..!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
His team are 3rd bottom in their league! Is that what we're aspiring to?
It's not really a different start to 2014-2015 with a large amount of new players that are not ready and Jardim trying to find the correct combination, he is a bit slow with these things which I mentioned several times but up until this point he generally finds the solution around October.

Stacks

I think we have no choice but to approach other managers under contract. I'm not sold on Zidane. Did not particularly like his football at Madrid. I think it's vital we go for a progressive coach with an aggressive attacking philosophy. Our options are limited.
Chelsea seem to be doing ok with Sarri. why not someone of that standard? give them a big budget and see what happens. With Jose, if he isn't winning then its self destruct because he plays dour football and brings a dark, divided club wherever he goes

Bestie07

I genuinely only want Pochettino for the job. He was my choice when we appointed Jose, and he is still my choice. Don't know if it is possible to get him, but if there is even the slightest possibility of getting him, then we would be fools to go after any one else.

JoaquinJoaquin

Real did pretty decent with their appointment of a club legend?
Pep was an excellent appointment for Barca also.
Simone at Athletic
King Kenny at pool
Del Bosque at Real

Pretty sure there are numerous others. But yeah obviously none of them ended well ;)
I see what you are saying but at the same time could argue the points of pretty much all of those.

Simeone: Managed in Argentina for 5 years before going to Italy. A year after that he got the Atleti job.
Pep: Managed the youth team first and actually won promotion with them.
Del Bosque: Was brought in as a temp manager for 2 months at first and not given the full job. Only got the full job after a few interim spells.

Red_toad

I see what you are saying but at the same time could argue the points of pretty much all of those.

Simeone: Managed in Argentina for 5 years before going to Italy. A year after that he got the Atleti job.
Pep: Managed the youth team first and actually won promotion with them.
Del Bosque: Was brought in as a temp manager for 2 months at first and not given the full job. Only got the full job after a few interim spells.
So not 'none' then eh :D

An Irish Red

We're up against multiple clubs that have world class, innovative coaches and some on here think we should give the job to Carrick, McKenna or Neville. It's madness.

The 'knows the club' line is laughable as well. What is there to know? we like attacking football with wingers? I doubt 'outsiders' would have trouble grasping that like.