Our Progress

Amir

Liverpool and Chelsea would consider this a pretty crap season in the league for themselves, very much below par. Finishing above them is better than finishing below them... But it's not some massive success.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Anybody got stats for goals conceded from set pieces in the league? We conceded 44 goals this season, only 2 less than Brighton and Villa. We did however finish 2nd highest goal scorers, but we're far too easy to score against and until we address that we ain't winning shit.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
There is not really any room to spend more. The only place we can save money is if the Glazer's stop taking dividends, which amounts to $20m per year. That comes to 2% of our total outgoings. The rest is unavoidable.

To add to the list of the other poster, we are actually first in terms of net spend since Solskjaer took charge.
There would be room to spend more if we didn't have so much interest to pay annually on the debt (let alone paying it off).

But yes the main problem has been how we have spent money, not the lack of spending.

SAFMUTD

[
Now we are talking about upgrading the team which is completely normal for every manager. Even Fergie had people complaining about his midfield and wingers at one stage!
I think Ole deserves to have in place what he has asked for and given another year to see if we move forward. Btw I don’t consider it blind faith, I have seen enough to suggest he’s slowly turning this thing around. Our fans need to have patience. Good job social media wasn’t around when fergie was starting, we’d never have known 20 years of success!
So having a squad that finished second with above 80 points and everyone wanted half a new team it's called a rebuild, but having a squad that finishes second with 70 points and everyone wants half a team is called "upgrading" the team. Sorry mate but you are just changing the narrative.

Every manager wants to improve their squad, and every manager brings and sells players but only Ole has been given this "rebuild" narrative which is basically a excuse to freeze all the titles demands. I just don't buy it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
[

So having a squad that finished second with above 80 points and everyone wanted half a new team it's called a rebuild, but having a squad that finishes second with 70 points and everyone wants half a team is called "upgrading" the team. Sorry mate but you are just changing the narrative.

Every manager wants to improve their squad, and every manager brings and sells players but only Ole has been given this "rebuild" narrative which is basically a excuse to freeze all the titles demands. I just don't buy it.
You do realize the shit he was left with after Lvg and Jose broke everyone?

SAFMUTD

Regarding set pieces the problem is complicated.

De Gea has never been good at coming of his line and dealing with set pieces (i dont really know about Hendo) and outside of Maguire whos fantastic in the air, none of our other players are really that great at it. Pogba, Cavani and McTomminay are decent, but other than that i cant think of many players that are particularly dominant in the air. Another problem is that we play zonal marking and way to often we see players losing focus and leave their zone completely open. This is 100% a coaching issue imo
I agree we don't have specially dominant players in the air besides Maguire, but we are not talking about being an average side. We are talking about being the worst side in the whole league I mean surely there something really wrong with out coaching in that regard it's can't all be on the players.

Playing from the back is also mostly a player issue imo. Fred and McTomminay are good/decent at breaking up play and screening the defense, but none of them are great passers. Considering Bruno is man marked by everyone these days it cuts of the supply completely when we try to build through the middle and we end up going wide instead. Pogba does solve that in some way, but as we know playing him as CM brings a lot of other problems. If Matic was 5 years younger we would have been golden, but sadly he isnt. A press resistant CM with some ability on the ball and some passing skills would make a world of difference imo
I don't think that one is that easy to solve at all, bringing a new CM press resistant or whatever won't magically make our defense know how to move in blocks how to isolate the pressure, it will still be the same improvised playing out from.the back that as soon as it's countered with a high pressing team we crumble.

I said it before in this thread, but if all it took to defeat a parked bus was a good system, then no one would bother with it. We have gotten better at it though. This season in the league we won 21 games and scored the 2nd amount of goals behind City so its not like we are completely hapless. Room for improvement? Definitely, but imo we are not as clueless as many on here think we ar
That's one way to look at it, but scoring lots of goals is not necessarily an indication about how good a team is breaking down a side. Since the only goal that break the defense is the first one you score. The way I look at it is we had 7 0-0 draws in the league, we definitely need to improve on that. This team can score the 2nd, 3rd and 4th goal after breaking up the defense with ease that not the problem. The problem is scoring that first goal which is the hardest.

Another bit of progress that often gets overlooked is how nicely the squad is shaping up. We have a very decent core of starters now, and loads of players in the squad we can sell/release without it weakening us significantly

Romero, DDG, Baily, Dalot, Jones, Mata, Pereira, Lindgard, Matic, Martial and Chong are all surplus to requirements and players we realistically can sell/release this summer without it affecting us too much. Not saying its realistic, but if all of those left it would lighten the wage bill considerably, and probably bring in around 100 million £

In the completely unrealistic scenario that all of those leave this summer we are left with

----------------------------Hendo(24)--------------------------------
AWB(23)---Maguire(28)--Lindelof--(26)---Shaw(25)
---------------------Fred(28)---McTomminay(24)-----------
-----------------------------Bruno(26)--------------------------------
Greenwood(19)------Cavani(34)-------Rashford(23)

Subs: Telles, Williams, Tuanzebe, Mengi, James, Diallo, Pellestri, VdB, Garner, Mejbri, Pogba, Elanga, Shoretire

If we add Sancho, Pau Torres and Rice (personally not that convinced about the latter) and sell someone of the ones i listed above, we are looking at a net spend of around 100-150 million maximum which should not be impossible

The average age of that lineup is just 25,4 years, swap out Cavani with someone like Sancho and it goes down to 24,2. Considering most teams peak when their average age is around 26-28 is tells you this is a line up with plenty of potential and room to grow. Oles transfer strategy might not have brought instant success, but it puts down some solid foundations and it means we are going to reap the benefits for years to come
I agree we do look like a team with potential, but we should be more than that by now. Still you talk about 3-4 new players, just like it was before Ole came. Nobody matter who comes, we will always ask for a new player. No team sudden says "well this is it, now I'm complete we don't need nobody else" it's constant changing and while we definitely have specific positions that are way below the requirements I think that we also have crucial coaching problems that won't be magically solved just by bringing players.

Just to be clear, Ole and his staff needs to show improvement next season as well for them to keep their jobs. A decent league challenge, 80+ points at least in the league and some sort of trophy is the bare minimum imo

Losing the final in that manner was gutting, but honestly i think the future looks bright. Even if Ole fails to deliver next season and gets the sack, i think hes done well in rebuilding the squad and whoever comes in next is going to have a exciting young team to work with
This narrative has been going on here for some time now, I don't agree with it at all. I think it's a narrative to ease up the pressure on Ole. "Sure he must deliver, but even if he doesn't it's not failure because he's building something for a future manager". Like I said I think it's just a narrative to lower the expectations bar so Ole doesn't fail.

SAFMUTD

You do realize the shit he was left with after Lvg and Jose broke everyone?
broke everyone? what does that even mean? players fall appart with managers all the time. Chelsea went through the same shit with Mourinho, Conte went there and won. No one was crying about a whole 3 year rebuild that was needed because "Mourinho broke everyone".

That excuse cant be used anymore, not after 2 and a half seasons.

Denis Irwinning

broke everyone? what does that even mean? players fall appart with managers all the time. Chelsea went through the same shit with Mourinho, Conte went there and won. No one was crying about a whole 3 year rebuild that was needed because "Mourinho broke everyone".

That excuse cant be used anymore, not after 2 and a half seasons.
The squad isn't anywhere near City, Liverpool and Chelsea when they are injury free and managed correctly. It's still 250m worth of players behind them to challenge them seriously for a title. Conte or Zidane might get closer but they aren't winning.

SAFMUTD

The squad isn't anywhere near City, Liverpool and Chelsea when they are injury free and managed correctly. It's still 250m worth of players behind them to challenge them seriously for a title. Conte or Zidane might get closer but they aren't winning.
The squad is far from City, but were on par with Liverpool and Chelsea. I agree even with a top manager it would be hard to match City, thats why its critical to get one. Like saying we shouldnt get a better driver because the car isnt fast enough. Well I see it all the way around, we should get the best manager possible to try to close the gap between the squads.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
It is really not :lol:
Except it is. Does anyone remember the progress we made in the late 80's ? If not for 1989 fa cup giving more time to fergie we might have gone into oblivion.

Football is about two things, challenging and winning. Currently were doing neither.

Do the dippers look back fondly 15 years ago when they finished second to us ? Do they feck, that was a failure and anything else is a lie.

Acquire Me

Except it is. Does anyone remember the progress we made in the late 80's ? If not for 1989 fa cup giving more time to fergie we might have gone into oblivion.

Football is about two things, challenging and winning. Currently were doing neither.

Do the dippers look back fondly 15 years ago when they finished second to us ? Do they feck, that was a failure and anything else is a lie.
Its not. Look it up bro. Progress is not about the finale results like winning silverware. Winning silverware is a result of working hard and steady (progress).

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Its not. Look it up bro. Progress is not about the finale results like winning silverware. Winning silverware is a result of working hard and steady (progress).
Progress in itself means nothing if it doesn't lead to silverware. Look at spurs and there progress in the previous half a decade. Does anyone give a flying feck ? Have you seen spurs fans being over the moon with there progress (which has runs its course, now a new cycle of progress needs to start for them because they're back to square one). There star player who himself is a fan is leaving them because of a lack of silverware.

If leicester had came 4th i would have said they've had a more successful season than us.

Eddy_JukeZ

There are people on this forum still excusing the loss vs Villareal because of our depth.

It's maddening to read.

POF

There are people on this forum still excusing the loss vs Villareal because of our depth.

It's maddening to read.
It's a perfectly justifiable excuse. Is there another team in world football who have had a fixture list as congested as United over the last 18 months.

The only one that comes close is City who have far better depth.

Others with nowhere near the fixture congestion are having excuses made for them because they "collapsed" due to one off circumstances.

Where's the credit for United for not collapsing and finishing comfortably ahead of them?

POF

This is all plausible but if you look back and assess our final performance alongside various semi final performances it does suggest a manager at the helm who isn’t a great motivator. He also bought James and VDB I believe who he didn’t rate to use on the night and many nights. Now his transfer record for me holds up, just unfortunate with our budget and chasing down better squads, we couldn’t really afford another 50m wasted...he needed instead a great bench option. The summer will decide his fate now and strangely he’s not really the decider on how that pans out. Zero credit in the bank now amongst the majority it feels.
Ole is an excellent motivator. It's his best attribute. His subs (or lack thereof) in the final were really poor though. You can't argue with the criticism there.

He's made mistakes but, where United currently are, he's the ideal coach. Nobody is perfect and, with Ole, the pros significantly outweigh the cons.

He doesn't have any credit in the bank among fans because unfortunately, most are idiots who think what the media tells them to think, convinced it's their own opinion.

The same fans who will celebrate the success of the protests will criticise Ole for losing games after being put in an impossible situation due to those protests.

red4ever 79

Ole is an excellent motivator. It's his best attribute. His subs (or lack thereof) in the final were really poor though. You can't argue with the criticism there.

He's made mistakes but, where United currently are, he's the ideal coach. Nobody is perfect and, with Ole, the pros significantly outweigh the cons.

He doesn't have any credit in the bank among fans because unfortunately, most are idiots who think what the media tells them to think, convinced it's their own opinion.

The same fans who will celebrate the success of the protests will criticise Ole for losing games after being put in an impossible situation due to those protests.
What when he keeps saying we didn't turn up? Doesn't sound like an excellent motivator to me

stw2022

The progress we made under Fergie was having one of the best young managers in the game with a stellar track record who had been working to transform the club from the bottom up and whose outstanding record in management before he got here earned him the patience and support from the board you wouldn’t expect for most others.

Josep Dowling

I feel like every summer most people say we just need 3 players to compete. And by the time summer comes around the players the fans want to sign never happen and we end up with one overpriced ‘good’ player which took 2 months longer than necessary to sign. And the price of that player compensates on the other two targets.

The club needs to be more proactive in signing players, even if one target is done almost immediately that calms down the fans. Agents and opposing clubs can’t then use that pressure to hike up prices for our other targets. Think about it how long did Herrera, Bruno, Maguire take to sign? Even Cavani was available all summer and we decided the last day of the transfer window to sign him. He then wasn’t match fit for 2 months. Now we are doing the same again with Sancho. It’s just poor planning and our biggest hindrance to success.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
The progress we made under Fergie was having one of the best young managers in the game with a stellar track record who had been working to transform the club from the bottom up and whose outstanding record in management before he got here earned him the patience and support from the board you wouldn’t expect for most others.
Precisely.

The ‘You would’ve sacked Ferguson after three years’ arguments are as immaterial as they are lazy. Even a cursory comparison of contexts between 1986-1990 and 2018-2021 indicates this but some folk continue to spout the same inane nonsense.

What Ferguson achieved in Scotland is among the most impressive in club football history yet we have folk we pretended we found him wandering around Salford Precinct and stuck him in the dugout for a laugh. He got a considerable amount of time and patience because he had earned that right, not because of some romantic, PR-wet dream notion of a popular ex-player leading us to the promised land once more.

POF

What when he keeps saying we didn't turn up? Doesn't sound like an excellent motivator to me
Maybe it's just relative.

Better than "we need to aspire to be like City", not knowing your player's name or telling the media a player is so stupid you need to make all his decisions for him.

There have been lots of instances where United has improved significantly after half time this season. Also, numerous comebacks to win from losing positions. He clearly has the ability to influence games by his half time team talks.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
The club needs to be more proactive in signing players

It’s just poor planning and our biggest hindrance to success.
I agree with you on your first point but I cannot escape the feeling that the biggest hindrance to our success at this juncture is our management/coaching structure. Watching the match on Wednesday night, did you genuinely look at what was unfolding and say to yourself, “You know what this team is missing? A Sancho or a Kane.” I certainly didn’t. Signing those players is all well and good but I don’t see them propelling us to a title. They will be ‘moments’ players for us in the same vein our other attacking options are.

I long for the day we are a side that is greater than the sum of our individual parts (if that ever happens we’ll be some team as we have some brilliant players) and not a side who plays like a crowd of strangers. The easiest way to rectify that is to upgrade on our management/coaching structure, IMO. The Bayerns, the Madrids, the Citys, the Liverpools, the PSGs etc. all never hesitate to get the best man in if they are any question marks over their current manager whilst we dawdle. That is our biggest hindrance and until it is remedied, we will have plenty of false dawns with inevitable failure, ultimately.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
The biggest hindrance to our success at this juncture is the lack of proactivity in our dealings - each and every year.

So Liverpool have got Konate and other teams are decisive in their buying strategy so why do we have to go through:
United are considering, are in talks, advanced dealing, blah blah and more blah blah and rarely finalise.
We MUST buy players before the Euros start or we'll have another season of being so near but yet so far.

Regalia

Precisely.

The ‘You would’ve sacked Ferguson after three years’ arguments are as immaterial as they are lazy. Even a cursory comparison of contexts between 1986-1990 and 2018-2021 indicates this but some folk continue to spout the same inane nonsense.

What Ferguson achieved in Scotland is among the most impressive in club football history yet we have folk we pretended we found him wandering around Salford Precinct and stuck him in the dugout for a laugh. He got a considerable amount of time and patience because he had earned that right, not because of some romantic, PR-wet dream notion of a popular ex-player leading us to the promised land once more.
The Ole-In crowd is really getting desperate.
"Ole is as good as SAF!" "Well, Ole is better than Mourinho!" "Tuchel lost a game, see we knew Ole was better!" "Pfft, Zidane doesn't know what it's like to manage at a club like Man Utd! So what if he won 3 UCLs in a row, that's not the United Way!".

Just some of the strawman arguments we hear everyday here to protect Ole just because he scored a tap-in in 99. It is sad how some people would rather die on that hill than have an ounce of rationality.

georgipep

"Ole is as good as SAF!" "Well, Ole is better than Mourinho!" "Tuchel lost a game, see we knew Ole was better!" "Pfft, Zidane doesn't know what it's like to manage at a club like Man Utd! So what if he won 3 UCLs in a row, that's not the United Way!".

Just some of the strawman arguments we hear everyday here to protect Ole just because he scored a tap-in in 99. It is sad how some people would rather die on that hill than have an ounce of rationality.
Can you show me any poster who claimed Ole is as good as Sir Alex?

POF

I agree with you on your first point but I cannot escape the feeling that the biggest hindrance to our success at this juncture is our management/coaching structure. Watching the match on Wednesday night, did you genuinely look at what was unfolding and say to yourself, “You know what this team is missing? A Sancho or a Kane.” I certainly didn’t. Signing those players is all well and good but I don’t see them propelling us to a title. They will be ‘moments’ players for us in the same vein our other attacking options are.

I long for the day we are a side that is greater than the sum of our individual parts (if that ever happens we’ll be some team as we have some brilliant players) and not a side who plays like a crowd of strangers. The easiest way to rectify that is to upgrade on our management/coaching structure, IMO. The Bayerns, the Madrids, the Citys, the Liverpools, the PSGs etc. all never hesitate to get the best man in if they are any question marks over their current manager whilst we dawdle. That is our biggest hindrance and until it is remedied, we will have plenty of false dawns with inevitable failure, ultimately.
That's exactly what I thought when Rashford wasted yet another excellent attacking opportunity and looked like he'd be the least mobile player in my O35s team. I was hoping Ole would replace him with Mata. If they had Sancho, he'd have been a great option.

I don't know what people expect. United were up against a parked bus for 90 minutes. Breaking that down was always going to be difficult, especially when you gift the opposition a lead from a set piece.

Do people really think that with a bit of coaching United would be ripping teams up with McTominay pulling the strings in midfield and Wan Bissaka jinking his way through on the right?

Salah and Mane are "moments" players. When Liverpool were regarded as "the greatest EPL team ever TM", they often were in even games until a moment of class from Mane or Salah put them ahead with their first half chance of the game.

This season, they lost form and Liverpool were toothless. If you have talented players in good form, they find a way to score. That opens games up and then it's easy to look impressive.

Acquire Me

Jesus. It’s really no one that believes they are on the same level :lol:

The things we discuss are if we got a progress that are good enough for us going forward.

Ole have done a lot good, but also questionable decisions. It’s human to do mistakes. Mistakes are progress as well.

IMO we have not got the backing from the owners regarding players in. I hope to see full backing this window, but I won’t hold my breath.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

Why would anybody be feeling desperate as a supporter of Ole? It seems highly likely that he is going to be getting a new contract this summer and besides nobody really has any doubts that he will lead the team into next season. His position is as secure as it has ever been.

On the other hand we have a large portion of this forum that clearly have agendas against him and have spent two years arguing about why he should be fired, going to ever increasing lengths to justify your opinions, clearly in many cases delighting over any setbacks so you can come back and rage, and yet you're stuck with him. It sounds like the sort of scenario that would generate feelings of desperation within the moaning community, and the posting always very clearly reflects that desperation.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I’d actually say him and his coaching staff are terrible motivators. A well motivated team does not play like we do in most first halfs. Slow ponderous play with players looking half arsed is not a sign of a motivated team.

Fergie would have had that team whipped up into a frenzy before kickoff Wednesday. We’d have hit the ground running at 100 miles an hour.

I just couldn’t believe how uninterested the team, minus Cavani, McTominay and Wan Bissaka looked. It’s a final for Christ sake and our intensity indicated that we were approaching it like a pre season game!

Swedish_Plumber

Don’t have too much faith in him but 6th 3rd 2nd is progress so he deserves another year
Yup! He was hardly backed last season with players he needed/wanted too. Got to hope he gets his choice of RW/CDM/CB. If he goes backwards next season after being backed then he should probably leave.
Jury is still out on some of his tactics and style, but one more year to prove something is the least he deserves after the mess we were in after Jose.

Garethw

Why would anybody be feeling desperate as a supporter of Ole? It seems highly likely that he is going to be getting a new contract this summer and besides nobody really has any doubts that he will lead the team into next season. His position is as secure as it has ever been.

On the other hand we have a large portion of this forum that clearly have agendas against him and have spent two years arguing about why he should be fired, going to ever increasing lengths to justify your opinions, clearly in many cases delighting over any setbacks so you can come back and rage, and yet you're stuck with him. It sounds like the sort of scenario that would generate feelings of desperation within the moaning community, and the posting always very clearly reflects that desperation.
No Manchester United fan has an agenda against Ole for god’s sake! The agenda is against the club seemingly accepting mediocrity.

it’s blatantly obvious that Solskjaer will never be the manager to return this club to winning PL titles and CL’s.

Would you be this loyal to Roy Hodgson if he was manager and had an identical record to Solskjaer? Or do you forgive Ole’s major deficiencies because he’s a playing legend?

wolvored

Ive said it before. Our progress would be better if we had proper coaches behind Ole. Hes said he doesnt coach the team he handles the man management and motivation. What other big club would have the majority of coaches as novices?
Get a defensive coach in wth vast experience. Get a tactics and technical coach in. These 2 would elevate the club with the players we already have no end. Ideally get an attacking coach as well. We can carry one novice, but this club shouldnt be a job for the good old boys. A good even great player doesnt always turn into a good or great coach.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
No Manchester United fan has an agenda against Ole for god’s sake! The agenda is against the club seemingly accepting mediocrity.

it’s blatantly obvious that Solskjaer will never be the manager to return this club to winning PL titles and CL’s.

Would you be this loyal to Roy Hodgson if he was manager and had an identical record to Solskjaer? Or do you forgive Ole’s major deficiencies because he’s a playing legend?
I forgive his deficiencies because his strengths and what he is doing for the club outweigh them, and no manager is perfect.

You saying that it is blatantly obvious he'll never win here IS an agenda. You've made up your mind already. Its unfair to write off a manager and a team that have made progress and doing so is evidence of an agenda I'm afraid.

tomaldinho1

I don’t see the foundations being laid on the field. I think I’d be more on board if I could see what he was trying to do even if he was failing to do it or even if I didn’t like it. I hated LVG approach but I backed him because even though I didn’t like it it was at least a direction. Two and a half years is enough time to build some kind of tactical identity. We’re completely undefinable as a unit. That’s what worries me.

I can’t look at this team and how we play and think we’re signing or two away from kicking on because I honestly do not think we’ve got past the starting blocks.

We should have an identity that we build towards mastering but were among the most tactically nondescript teams around.
This is exactly how I feel. If you watched us with LVG you could see the plan - here is a coach with a set system and the ability to coach it. It didn’t work but I could very easily see this is where we were and this is where we are now. That’s all we should demand from any coach: implement a style, give them a transfer window and assess.

If you can see evidence of their style after a season and they reach objectives, you get another window and assess again. If it’s not good enough you try with someone else.

Garethw

I forgive his deficiencies because his strengths and what he is doing for the club outweigh them, and no manager is perfect.

You saying that it is blatantly obvious he'll never win here IS an agenda. You've made up your mind already. Its unfair to write off a manager and a team that have made progress and doing so is evidence of an agenda I'm afraid.
So if Hodgson or Moyes was in charge with an identical record you’d be happy to forgive their deficiencies too would you? I don’t think you would.

I'm sick to death of this “agenda” bollocks. I’m quite good at Tennis, but can categorically state that I’ll never be good enough to become a professional. Do I have I have an agenda against myself or am I just accepting reality based on experience?

Solskjaer has shown absolutely nothing in the last 2.5 years to indicate that he’s the man to get us winning titles and Champions Leagues.

He’s come in, steadied the ship and taken us as far as he can. Now it’s time for an elite manager to take us to the next level. In the words of Michael Corleone, it’s not personal, it’s strictly business.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
So if Hodgson or Moyes was in charge with an identical record you’d be happy to forgive their deficiencies too would you? I don’t think you would.

I'm sick to death of this “agenda” bollocks. I’m quite good at Tennis, but can categorically state that I’ll never be good enough to become a professional. Do I have I have an agenda against myself or am I just accepting reality based on experience?

Solskjaer has shown absolutely nothing in the last 2.5 years to indicate that he’s the man to get us winning titles and Champions Leagues.

He’s come in, steadied the ship and taken us as far as he can. Now it’s time for an elite manager to take us to the next level. In the words of Michael Corleone, it’s not personal, it’s strictly business.
I'm not sure why you keep mentioning Hodgson in this. I really dont see relevance or point. The evaluation has to be about what Ole has done and where we are compared to where we were, not about who he is. Ole was never my favourite player. There's no reason at all why his history here should have any bearing on anything.

You say he has shown absolutely nothing. I think that's unfair and frankly a little ridiculous.

laughtersassassin

It's not a successful season and that's it.

It's a season with positives and negatives.

We are a bit more consistent but we aren't seemingly closer to winning silverware.

One more year to do it for Ole I reckon.

And since we are committed to that we need to give him a brilliant transfer window.

It needs to be a better window than Chelsea City and Liverpool.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
Yup! He was hardly backed last season with players he needed/wanted too. Got to hope he gets his choice of RW/CDM/CB. If he goes backwards next season after being backed then he should probably leave.
Jury is still out on some of his tactics and style, but one more year to prove something is the least he deserves after the mess we were in after Jose.
yup

Garethw

I'm not sure why you keep mentioning Hodgson in this. I really dont see relevance or point. The evaluation has to be about what Ole has done and where we are compared to where we were, not about who he is. Ole was never my favourite player. There's no reason at all why his history here should have any bearing on anything.

You say he has shown absolutely nothing. I think that's unfair and frankly a little ridiculous.
I’m mentioning Hodgson as a manager of similar ability level to Solskjaer for comparison.
People would be far less forgiving of the manager had he not played for the club.