Our Rival's Squad next year - Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
:lol: Very true but the good thing about YouTube is it does show you what the player is capable of, just not whether he's consistent or not which is the main factor really.
I remember watching a Kezman vid just after we signed him and thinking "this guy is will tear the league apart".

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I remember watching a Kezman vid just after we signed him and thinking "this guy is will tear the league apart".
The most heartbreaking one is definitely Anderson, all that potential, looked like he'd be a world beater, damn YouTube!

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
What I like about Kenedy is that the guy is built like a tank. He also looked decent against Barca and I'm sure Jose was satisfied with the number of times he Kenedy tracked back. Hopefully he develops well.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
She's no Eva, but I'd not not spike her drink given the chance.

white text white text. No no no no no!

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Could be the new club doctor? Viktoryia Gameeva :drool:
"Maggie Thatcher, Maggie Thatcher, Maggie Thatcher..... John Major riding Edwina Curry... Fat Heather off Eastenders...."

Last edited by a moderator:

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Imagine her and Eva on the bench... Jose would have heart attack, even the subs would be going down injured.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
110 years ago today that we played our first fixture. I can't confirm or deny that we parked a horse drawn carriage.

Report of the match...
On Saturday 2 September 1905, having made the short journey from their Manchester hotel to the nearby town of Stockport, the new team from the capital, including the eye-catching and well-known figure of goalkeeper William ‘Fatty’ Foulke, walked from the bus to Stockport County’s Edgeley Park.

Legend has it that one young local fan warned Foulke, ‘You’ll get licked today mister.’

‘It’ll be the first time this year then me’lad,’ was the reply from a player who had won the FA Cup twice at Sheffield United and owned an England cap.

Edgeley Park was widely regarded as the worst ground in the League and was hardly an auspicious setting for the start of Chelsea’s competitive history. The pitch at the time was described as ‘an almost unbroken expanse of ripe plantation grass in full seed’.

The following week’s Chelsea Chronicle, the match programme sold at the first home game, refers to an even and goalless first half.

In the second half, the 6ft 4in, 22-stone Foulke was the first Chelsea goalkeeper to save a penalty.

‘His nimbleness was indeed astonishing,’ wrote the Manchester Guardian of the player’s overall performance, but the aftermath of the save was unfortunate for Foulke and his new team-mates.

He threw the ball out and according to another match report: ‘It pitched on to one of the numerous lumps and deviated sharply to the right. Foulke took the only course open to him and charged from his goal, but Stockport inside-forward George Dodd reached the ball first, banging it straight at Marshall McEwan, who would have cleared it easily but for the fact that Tommy Miller was knocked into him by a County forward at the same time, and as a result the ball glanced off McEwan’s chest into the net.’

The first goal conceded by the Pensioners is recorded as Dodd’s rather than an own-goal and from that point on Chelsea had the better of the match.

Jimmy Windridge hit the post twice and we were denied two penalties, the first when Martin Moran was barged over, the second when a Stockport defender handled on the line, so a Stockport club-record attendance of 7,000 watched the new club lose 1-0 away on debut.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Our friend Castles, has found a new victim.
Chelsea's scattergun approach to the summer transfer window concluded with a pair of failed bids totaling well over €100million. Chastened by dropping eight points in their first four fixtures, the Premier League champions attempted to prevent Anthony Martial from leaving AS Monaco for Manchester United, and to extract Marquinhos from Paris Saint-Germain.

PSG refused to sell their young Brazil center back to a Champions League rival, regardless of the €35m Chelsea were prepared to pay for Marquinhos. Monaco stonewalled Roman Abramovich's attempt to intervene in their surprise sale of teenage forward Martial to Old Trafford.

United reset a series of transfer records by agreeing an initial fee of €50m for Martial, bolstered by a further €30m of “easy” performance-related variables. According to a source involved in the deal, the final transfer fee for the 19-year-old could reach €90m if the forward triggers further bonus payments. Chelsea, who had approached Monaco earlier in the summer with a view to recruiting Martial for the 2016-17 season, offered to match United's bid.

Such high-stake, final-week moves for the two Ligue 1 youngsters, coupled with Chelsea's belated inquiries into Paul Pogba's availability contrast markedly with the carefully prepared and executed strategy of one summer before. Ahead of a start to the Premier League campaign in which Jose Mourinho's side went 14 matches unbeaten, Chelsea made four of their five first-team signings before the end of July.

The pre-planned, and most expensive, acquisitions of Diego Costa, Cesc Fabregas and Filipe Luis were all formally completed by mid-July, allowing Mourinho to integrate the trio into preseason training as early as possible in a World Cup year. Loic Remy, who had been headed to Liverpool until the Merseyside club reneged on a salary package, was the only player added after the season had begun.

This year, it was July 13 before backup goalkeeper Asmir Begovic arrived from Stoke City. A long negotiation with Augbsurg over Abdul Baba Rahman's fee concluded on August 17, two matches, and five dropped points, into Chelsea's title defense. The club gazumped Manchester United's drawn-out negotiations with Barcelona for Pedro the same week, and ended the window by signing two defenders operating at level far separated from the Champions League.

Jamaica center back Michael Hector was bought from, then immediately loaned back to, Reading. Senegal international Papy Djilobodji joined from Nantes on deadline day – only to be excluded from his new employers' Champions League squad less than 48 hours later. Unless injuries dictate otherwise, Djilobodji is not expected to be granted many starting opportunities in his debut season.

Intent on improving his tactical options against stronger opponents, Mourinho had identified central defense as the priority area to reinforce for a campaign in which he was expected to both retain the Premier League title and challenge for the Champions League. John Terry's discomfort when asked to operate in a high block and Gary Cahill's shortcomings as a man marker typically force Chelsea to defend deep against better teams, particularly in European matches. The decision to allow Filipe Luis to return to Atletico Madrid after a year in which the Brazil left back failed to adapt to life in England amplified Mourinho's need for new recruits.

Chelsea's board eventually resolved to pursue John Stones, a 21-year-old England defender who's initially been penciled in as a recruit for the 2016-17 campaign. Informed that Everton's hierarchy would sell Stones at £30m, Chelsea attempted to land him at what they considered a more realistic price. This provoked protests amongst Everton's support, eventually forcing chairman Bill Kenwright to publicly rule out a sale.

By that point, Chelsea's early-summer reluctance to fund Mourinho's reinforcement requests had transformed into the quick-fire decision to meet Barcelona's asking price for Pedro; a move that resulted in Juan Cuadrado being sent to Juventus for an embarrassingly low loan fee.

Finally came the nine-figure sum put forward for Martial and Marquinhos as the window drew to a close; an amount more than sufficient to reinforce all Mourinho's areas of concern had it been made available as early as funds were in 2014. Famous for his attention to detail, the manager's view of such shotgun shopping is not hard to decipher.

"I don't like that,” said Mourinho when asked one week ago about the possibility of a late spend. “I gave my club the season's projection report on April 24th. I don't think it's now, on August 29th or 30th to say 'I want this and that or I want to try this and that'. We have to gel.”

In this last transfer window, the board's ideas conspicuously failed to gel with those of their manager.
http://www.oneworldsports.com/stories/jose-mourinho-chelsea-less-ideal-summer-transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.