Our squad is NOT sh*t

MyDevil

I think today showed our Midfield depth is really poor beyond the starters, Fred Perreira and Tomatoe are just not good enough - did feckal against a struggling Reading team.
Precisely. Our second tier players are dissapointing. Not giving the first teamers enough challenge.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Precisely. Our second tier players are dissapointing. Not giving the first teamers enough challenge.
They're massively disappointing. Whether it's Jose and now Ole, they've been given more than enough chances total to create doubt in the manager's mind. Fred is a huge disappointment for me but I shouldn't be surprised, it feels like just because City were interested, we were also interested and ended overpaying (just like with Sanchez and his wages)

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
I’m 100% in agreement by the way. Pogba/Matic/Herrera is a top class midfield but our second string are dirt.

Could just be like of game time but on today’s showing I don’t hold much hope.
Yeah the first team starters as a machine are probably as good as any in the premier league. Beyond that though, pretty crap.

iluvoursolskjær

They're massively disappointing. Whether it's Jose and now Ole, they've been given more than enough chances total to create doubt in the manager's mind. Fred is a huge disappointment for me but I shouldn't be surprised, it feels like just because City were interested, we were also interested and ended overpaying (just like with Sanchez and his wages)
I'd go with that feels too, we seem to have done that with Sanchez too maybe?

I mean We already had Marti and Rashford on the left at that point

el3mel

We have about 11-15 player who are good enough for United and those are our main lineup.

The second string is dreadful and the squad depth is shocking. Our 3 bench midfielders today couldn't control the ball against a team fighting for relegation in championship.

Our squad depth is simply quantity over quality.

I can't see how we're going to win the league with such squad depth to cover for injuries. We used to have pretty strong depth under SAF. Currently we always look like an injury or 2 away from being shite again.

Janson

Where are the people who were harping on about how Pogba needs to play with Fred and Perreira because they are technical?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We have about 11-15 player who are good enough for United and those are our main lineup.

The second string is dreadful and the squad depth is shocking. Our 3 bench midfielders today couldn't control the ball against a team fighting for relegation in championship.

I can't see how we're going to win the league with such squad depth to cover for injuries. We used to have pretty strong depth under SAF. Currently we always look like an injury or 2 away from being shite again.
Totally agree.

We can field a first 11 that is equal to anything the prem has to offer, plus we have a strong bench in terms of attacking options, but our squad options are minimal at best. Today's game is evidence of that.

If we never see a midfield three of Fred-Periera-Mctominay it will be too soon.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

Agreed. Out first Xi is not bad at all, but the gulf in class between them and the backup is just massive. All the chopping and changing we had with new managers after Fergie has done the squad no good. Each manager has done some decent buys, but they also brought a lot of deadwood and i hope to God whoever is in charge in August manages to clean up this mess a bit, especially the back four which is in a pretty dire state imo

vidic blood & sand

I think Mata has to go, simply because he doesn't fit into this United side. He's not a bad player, he's just all wrong for us.
We're using Fellaini simply for his height and aggression. Has to go as well.
Peirrera has been floating around the club too long, and needs to go for his own sake really.
Lukaku is useful as a squad player, but not sure he'd settle for that.
Lingard the same as Lukaku.
Valencia and young need upgrading. Still useful as squadies.
Herrera the same. Useful as a squaddy.

Kag

I think today showed our Midfield depth is really poor beyond the starters, Fred Perreira and Tomato are just not good enough - did feckal against a struggling Reading team.
Midfield depth is great. Our midfield today have barely played and struggled without a first team player in there. It happens.

Fred and Pereira in particular are a lot more capable than what they demonstrated today.

iluvoursolskjær

Midfield depth is great. Our midfield today have barely played and struggled without a first team player in there. It happens.

Fred and Pereira in particular are a lot more capable than what they demonstrated today.
can't say i disagree with much of what you said, on reflection. other than the very first statement due to the uncertainty of the situation.

redshaw

Fred looks the best of a bad bunch in that he can slot in to our first team midfield but he's disappointing for 50 million.

Pereira reminds me a bit of Morgan Schneiderlin. Could have a couple of good years later on in his career, not sure it's worth either party holding on.

Tony247

Midfield is relying on Pogba and Matic. Take any one of them out and we will struggle. No good midfield backup is scary.

Canagel

We are good in midfield and good in attack apart from RW. It's the fullback positions that need addressing along with a new CB.
Difficult to expect a mishmash of fringe players, players just returning from injury, players with barely any game time to put in performance with zero faults. Going forward we will need to plug the gaps in our squad to fight for the titles but we're not far away.

Last edited: