Ousmane Dembele

Status
Not open for further replies.

He'sRaldo

this is not true. Ousmanne has more consistency is his dribbling and creativity than mbappe. Injuries and his unprofessional-ism has really destroyed our perception of him. I only ever watched dortmund just for him. I genuinely dont think there is any attacker excluding messi, neymar and hazard that have better dribbling mixed with pace better than him. The guy is so rapid on the ball you just cant guard him when he drops his shoulder. I would take the risk. The type of talent he has is worth it. he also plays on the left.

Never seen a more two-footed technical player in my life. If he had Mbappe's brain he'd be the best in the world right now.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
this is not true. Ousmanne has more consistency is his dribbling and creativity than mbappe. Injuries and his unprofessional-ism has really destroyed our perception of him. I only ever watched dortmund just for him. I genuinely dont think there is any attacker excluding messi, neymar and hazard that have better dribbling mixed with pace better than him. The guy is so rapid on the ball you just cant guard him when he drops his shoulder. I would take the risk. The type of talent he has is worth it. he also plays on the left.

There is more to skills than dribbling. Passing, shooting and controlling the ball are also skills and Dembélé is inconsistent in these areas which is barely debatable.

Josh 76

So the reports today that Liverpool may be interested.
You just know, if Utd sign him, he will be a flop and if Liverpool sign him he will be a hit.

-Supreme-

So the reports today that Liverpool may be interested.
You just know, if Utd sign him, he will be a flop and if Liverpool sign him he will be a hit.
Can you name me a player we have signed since Ole's in charged that has flopped or failed to live up to expectations?

Tel074

Never seen a more two-footed technical player in my life. If he had Mbappe's brain he'd be the best in the world right now.
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm? Either that or you haven't watched much football

MalcolmTucker

There is more to skills than dribbling. Passing, shooting and controlling the ball are also skills and Dembélé is inconsistent in these areas which is barely debatable.
Yep. I love watching Dembele play but he'll glide past three players then spend the rest of game miscontrolling the ball and unable to execute simple 10 yard passes for the rest of it.

He has the X factor but Barcelona really wasn't the right club for him - he lacks the solid foundations to be a Barca player. I think he'd be a much more confident player if he stayed in Dortmund or joined a less technical team.

I think if we can't get Sancho this window then we should get Dembele on loan if possible.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Dembele on a loan with an option to buy would be ideal if Sancho falls through. Very little risk and a potential for great reward.

I’m still not convinced he’ll overcome the injuries but it would give him a fair chance to prove his ability and fitness without us potential being burdened by him.

KennyBurner

He is also a better passer and controller of the ball. Mbappe only surpasses him in shooting. The vast difference between them is mentality. Mbappe is very determined to succeed. mbappe is also quicker. Thats about it.

I also want to note that mentality plays a huge role in a players short career. That is why mbappe is way ahead of him right now. It could all change if dembele decides to wise up and stay inujury free. Personally I dont think a player changes his mentality overnight but because of his insane level of talent I will always take the risk with him.

Its why I can't say no to him. He is still very young so passing him off when available for 37m according to those sources is negligence. He could be our robben from chelsea to bayern moment.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He is also a better passer and controller of the ball. Mbappe only surpasses him in shooting. The vast difference between them is mentality. Mbappe is very determined to succeed. mbappe is also quicker. Thats about it.
That's just completely off. Mbappe is a much better passer, I think they're capable of similar ball control but Mbappe is far more consistent in his touches than Dembele who can have a world-class first touch one minute and imitate Lukaku in the next, Mbappe's decision-making is vastly superior, his technical abilities in passing and shooting are superior, so is his vision, off-the-ball runs, and ability to create danger for others that's far more consistent than Dembele. Also, and most importantly, he doesn't get hurt as much, takes better care of his body; basically there are so many factors that makes Mbappe a superior player beyond mentality and shooting. It really only takes watching a few full-games with the two playing to see that. You can watch Monaco vs Dortmund when both played against one another to see the difference already, and that was with Mbappe playing his first full season, and he's only improved every year since, whereas Ousmane has missed so much time since that season, his road to catching up to Mbappe is only stretching longer.

Ultimately, I hope he manages it, because how great would it be for my country to have two players like that together for the next decade? But there's way more question mark on Dembele than a guy like Mbappe, who's about as sure a thing as I've seen since Messi. I also refuse to believe Barcelona would be dumb enough to let Dembele go for 37m, they are a dumb club for sure but it can't be that bad.

Andersons Dietician

This is maybe true but he was still breaking records for assists wasnt he? He and Aubemyang had one of the best partnerships in Europe.

JPRouve

Scout
This is maybe true but he was still breaking records for assists wasnt he? He and Aubemyang had one of the best partnerships in Europe.
That's a different point, I'm not suggesting that he isn't very good. I have always said that he was extremely talented and very productive, he creates every games regardless of form but he is incredibly inconsistent and has very poor focus. On the other end Mbappé is also very skilled and he is consistent, Mbappé contributes to the general game even when he doesn't score or assist while Dembélé will most likely be a nuisance outside of magical moments. If he fixes his consistency and mental isssues, Dembélé could be one of the very best players in several decades.

But neither can defend to save their lives.

fps

I’d probably word it like this. Ousmane has more raw ability and skills than MBappe, but Mbappe is light years ahead in the mental maturity of his game and knows how and where to use his abilities for the best outcome. Which arguably by itself is probably the most important skill.

Dembele on the other hand can be quite hit and miss and make wrong decisions way too often. The decision making process and being able to execute it is what makes Mbappe the better player.
What evidence are you looking at to suggest Dembele has more raw ability?! This is the kind of thing people say when a player just isn’t as good as another one. He’s got a load of stepovers, great, Mbappe has those but doesn’t use them unless they help him affect a match.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
What evidence are you looking at to suggest Dembele has more raw ability?! This is the kind of thing people say when a player just isn’t as good as another one. He’s got a load of stepovers, great, Mbappe has those but doesn’t use them unless they help him affect a match.
I've often found when people talk about talent or raw ability, they mostly talk about dribbling. Where's Emre Mor playing now?

Canagel

The obsession with 'talent' and peoples interpretation of the word on the forum is getting a bit tedious.

Talent amounts to nothing if you can't convert it into being an effective player on the pitch. Comparing Dembele to Mbappe right now is night and day.

Dress it up how you like but Dembele is levels below Mbappe.

If he were a better dribbler and a more creative player than Mbappe on the pitch then he would be performing like Mbappe in competitive matches.

I could be a talented brick layer but if I can't do it on a building site then it's not worth a w@nk is it. :lol:
This is all irrelevant since I never denied Mbappe is more effective or even not better so I don't know why your talking about levels, I simply denied that he is any less talented than him which can hardly be argued against.

Bringing consistency, effectiveness, competitive matches or whatever is taking the subject away from talent since I never argued who is more effective .

RUCK4444

This is all irrelevant since I never denied Mbappe is more effective or even not better so I don't know why your talking about levels, I simply denied that he is any less talented than him which can hardly be argued against.

Bringing consistency, effectiveness, competitive matches or whatever is taking the subject away from talent since I never argued who is more effective .
But it’s one and the same. Like I said, being talented means nothing if you can’t fully implement that where it’s required.

People like to single players out for being ‘talented’ and Compare them to elite level footballers.

If Dembele was as talented as Mbappe he would be doing something to reflect that on the pitch, as you said he’s levels below, so how can he be as talented? The answer is he’s not.

I mean it’s not like Dembele walks onto a pitch and forgets how to play like he does in training, he just can’t do it like Mbappe.

Fancy tricks and nutmegs in training sessions and in youth leagues in particular (see Ravel Morrison) tend to exaggerate people’s perception of their talent. It’s not a true gauge of their overall ability.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

It's always a tricky thing when you talk about talent, because people have different opinions on what it means. For example, Ousmane came out of the gate looking like a great prospect, similar to Mbappe. He seems to be a uniquely naturally ambipedal player but you look at him from his time in Rennes to Dortmund to now Barcelona and his time with the French NT, putting aside the injuries, just how much has he actually progressed? When Mbappe had his first full season, some people on here thought he was already close to the finished article and that while he was exciting, he might not progress much. He's since progressed quite considerably, whether it's in technique, finishing, passing, or output. So does talent come into the equation then or is just hard work? Because some work hard but don't progress like that.

fps

I've often found when people talk about talent or raw ability, they mostly talk about dribbling. Where's Emre Mor playing now?
I don’t know who that is!! But I agree, and on top of that dribbling is a flashy skill which really isn’t “that” important in football if you can’t do other things like position yourself properly and pass properly.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
Are you serious ? Ronaldo has probably scored a 100 career goals with his left foot for crying out loud
Which doesn't make him two footed, his right foot is clearly his dominant foot, he simply has a very good left foot that he developed. Dembélé is ambidextrous, he doesn't even know which one is his better foot.

fps

“is taking the subject away from something which can’t actually be quantified which is the only safe place where I can make my argument, compared with actual ability to affect matches and play well in matches.”

Tel074

Which doesn't make him two footed, his right foot is clearly his dominant foot, he simply has a very good left foot that he developed. Dembélé is ambidextrous, he doesn't even know which one is his better foot.
I've heard it all. If a player scores that many goals with either foot how can you even begin to say he isn't 2 footed. Zlatan has scored many great goals with his other foot . That's exactly what makes him 2 footed is that he can use either foot .
I actually can't believe I'm having this discussion

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Minor thing but it’s ambipedal if referring to feet.

JPRouve

Scout
I've heard it all. If a player scores that many goals with either foot how can you even begin to say he isn't 2 footed. Zlatan has scored many great goals with his other foot . That's exactly what makes him 2 footed is that he can use either foot .
I actually can't believe I'm having this discussion
I can because Ronaldo predominantly passes, dribbles and scores with his right foot, in fact Ronaldo has scored more headers than he has scored with his left foot. But being two footed is about more things than scoring goals, it's about how a player plays in general which feet is dominant. In the case of Dembélé he dribbles with either feet depending on the situation, he passes with either feet and same with shooting, there was a time last year where he had as many assists and goals with either feet.

Tel074

I can because Ronaldo predominantly passes, dribbles and scores with his right foot, in fact Ronaldo has scored more headers than he has scored with his left foot. But being two footed is about more things than scoring goals, it's about how a player plays in general which feet is dominant. In the case of Dembélé he dribbles with either feet depending on the situation, he passes with either feet and same with shooting, there was a time last year where he had as many assists and goals with either feet.
What you are saying is pointless though . Dennis Irwin played left back at United and was very good with either foot but was more right footed .
He still was 2 footed !
Maradona was solely left footed as was someone like Robben.
Ronaldo and all them players I mentioned are excellent with both feet making them 2 footed players..

JPRouve

Scout
What you are saying is pointless though . Dennis Irwin played left back at United and was very good with either foot but was more right footed .
He still was 2 footed !
Maradona was solely left footed as was someone like Robben.
Ronaldo and all them players I mentioned are excellent with both feet making them 2 footed players..
Watch both of them play and you will see a difference, it's not even subtle.

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah I will probably see one superstar it's definitely not subtle
That's beside the point, no one suggested that he was better than Ronaldo so your answer is strange.

beingshe7don

It's not just the fact that Dembele is ambipedal that makes him a really good player. There are other qualities as well. The burst of acceleration and close control that he possesses that makes him glide past players is very Messi-esque. He just needs to improve on his shooting and decision making..... I wouldn't mind getting Dembele and David Brooks... offers enough depth for the RW.

JPRouve

Scout
You are the one telling me Ronaldo isn't 2 footed haha . Very strange
Again, watch them play and you will see that one of them does something that the other rarely does.

Tel074

Again, watch them play and you will see that one of them does something that the other rarely does.

Again yes it will be Ronaldo scoring goals with both feet while Dembele sits on the bench doing keepie ups with his Ambipedal abilities

Andersons Dietician

You are the one telling me Ronaldo isn't 2 footed haha . Very strange
He’s not though, not at the competency of someone like Dembele. heck I can score off of both feet because I too am ambidextrous but in no world am I able to switch foot with ease mid dribble as Dembele does. I can’t think of another footballer I’ve seen do it ever. Greenwood is very two footed and even he has a dominant dribbiling foot.

Heck Ronaldo when asked takes free kicks and penalties with his right foot. Dembele has taken free kicks with his left or right and the same with penalties. So much so when interviewed and asked what foot he is he said he doesn’t know.

There is a vast difference when people refer to Dembele as two footed compared to very competent strikers of the ball with either foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.