Ousmane Dembele

Status
Not open for further replies.

macheda14

I doubt we would buy both because of the money, not because of the competition. We had had Cole, OGS, Yorke and Sheringham and then Ronaldo, Berbatov. Tevez and Rooney competing with each other. It drives competition, and is not bad thing.
So you think players should have position fixed and there should be no competition. We might not get Dembele and Sancho for financial reasons but competition for Rashford and Martial is absolutely necessary. We can always sell one of them later.

Loan with option to buy for Dembele is way too good a deal to pass. Even if we manage to get Sancho.
I’m not saying I wouldn’t love for it to happen, I’m saying realistically there is no way it would happen.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
The denial to see the obvious is shocking, if not frustrating
People are even saying that its good because its a loan deal! The fact that we actually need a fit and firing RW is no longer the agenda. People are fine with having a crock on a loan deal.

ROFLUTION

We can still pursue english transfers after 5th of october, no? (from english leagues)

Else, we're wasting valuable time on this fella

Redcy

People are even saying that its good because its a loan deal! The fact that we actually need a fit and firing RW is no longer the agenda. People are fine with having a crock on a loan deal.
He would be a world class injured player though. It reminds me of how the scousers became delusional about how good Lucas was when he was injured.

Hackman2210

Doesnt get his head up enough - you can see that on the highlights. If he did 7 cruyf turns at the edge of the box - Rashford would nut him!! Looks like more like Gabriel Obertan than Ronaldo for me. Still on Loan why not - he's defo better than Dan James going forward.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He'd be a great option alongside somebody else (of course getting him and somebody else is unlikely). The potential up-side if he does manage to stay fairly injury-free is huge. But if he were the only addition it's very risky to rely so heavily on someone with his injury issues.

lysglimt

Scout
I would rather have a 25 match a season Dembele on-loan, than having no player at all. Then we can buy Sancho next summer

dinostar77

So the press speculation is that Barcelona would be willing to let Dembele leave on loan if there is a buy clause added to the deal. No one has said whether its an option to buy or an obligation. So if we cant get Sancho and Dembele is pretty similar in playing attributes then why not agree to an option to buy for a fee we will never pay ala Lazio with Pereira?

Obviously this is caveated that Barcelona arent insisting on an obligation to buy.

Lots has been said about Dembele on previous pages, but in the end, players with his ability are few far between. A change of scenery or club may get the best out of him. I'd happily take him on loan for a season to see how he fares.

DesiAce83

Its getting to the stage where I would take any signing. Dembele is skillful, an upgrade to the squad. If he can stay healthy, it will work for us. If not, well its a loan anyway.

How come Liverpool can get $23m for a striker who hasn't played in the EPL and we can't even get $15m for Smalling....

Redcy

I would rather have a 25 match a season Dembele on-loan, than having no player at all. Then we can buy Sancho next summer
he hasnt played 25 games in the last 12 months, barely played 30 in 22 months.

Redcy

Its getting to the stage where I would take any signing. Dembele is skillful, an upgrade to the squad. If he can stay healthy, it will work for us. If not, well its a loan anyway.

How come Liverpool can get $23m for a striker who hasn't played in the EPL and we can't even get $15m for Smalling....
The issue with Dembele is that it isn't just a loan Barca want, they need the cash or promise of cash. They want a loan with obligation to buy. Whilst a loan deal gets them 15m + wages, its barely 20m quid which is nowhere near enough.

ROFLUTION

Dembele doesn’t play in England though :confused:
Yeah.. My sentence makes good sense, no? Dont waste the small time we have now on foreign players who already rejected Liverpool. Takes time to convince a player. (Dybala a good case)

Backup plan is to find someone in England, if we dont find anyone outside england before the international window shuts

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’ve said from the start that he’s the only player that would not be a significant downgrade from Sancho, all the other options are a level below their best days. A loan with option to buy is an absolute no brainer and frankly it doesn’t matter if he’s always fit because we have Greenwood to play the majority of games. We just desperately need a better option in the wings on certain occasions to take some of the strain. He would be an exciting player for us.

Redcy

The issue with Smalling, and any of our players, is the wages, Liverpool play significantly less wage wise and so we can't find buyers for them at the prices they are probably worth.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
No way we are going to buy him outright even if we don't get Sancho. Loan with option to buy is what we should be aiming for, if not then we should move on.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Not happening then
For £45m (according to Paul Hirst) it's a risk worth taking on a 23 year old with huge potential. His injuries I believe were down to Barca's mismanagement off him which wouldn't be a surprise considering how badly the current regime has run the club. He became a injury prone player at Barca only.

Unless you sign Sancho you go for this guy because with him there's hope and without him there's is none as far as closing the gap on City and Liverpool goes.

dinostar77

For £45m (according to Paul Hirst) it's a risk worth taking on a 23 year old with huge potential. His injuries I believe were down to Barca's mismanagement off him which wouldn't be a surprise considering how badly the current regime has run the club. He became a injury prone player at Barca only.

Unless you sign Sancho you go for this guy because with him there's hope and without him there's is none as far as closing the gap on City and Liverpool goes.
£45mil ? Really? I would definitely take the plung at that price and buy him. You could still go for Sancho next summer. Dembele and Sancho can play on either wing. It would be like Bayern when they had Ribery and Robben at their peaks. A nightmare for defences. A muppet can only dream....

Adnan

Talent Spotter
£45mil ? Really? I would definitely take the plung at that price and buy him. You could still go for Sancho next summer. Dembele and Sancho can play on either wing. It would be like Bayern when they had Ribery and Robben at their peaks. A nightmare for defences. A muppet can only dream....
That's what Paul Hirst of The Times reported. Barca seem to be getting desperate too with Koeman wanting Depay who according to reports is on standby to join Barca for around €40m.

Last edited:

Redcy

His injuries I believe were down to Barca's mismanagement off him which wouldn't be a surprise considering how badly the current regime has run the club. He became a injury prone player at Barca only.
Based on what evidence? The fact that he became injury prone is more likely to do with the fact he had a really bad hamstring injury that kept him out for 4 months. Most players who have horrendous hamstring injuries forever struggle with them. The only way around that is to completely change the way you play the game. Even if its true that the Barca handling of him is bad what makes you think that our team can keep him fit, we have one of the worst records for recovering players with injuries.

£45m is cheap, but the lad has got hamstrings made of cheese.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Yep. People hoping a player who can't stay fit for 5 minutes will be fit here at Utd. I have seen it all now.
People are so desperate for something to happen I suppose. That's all it is.

A loan with option to buy wouldn't be the worst fall back option to Sancho. However if we buy him for 60m+ then we are more fecked than I thought we were. Way too risky given his injuries.

Sparky Rhiwabon

United: “Hold my beer”

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think he managed 9 games last season, and picked up 6 different injuries during 2019, and was also injured from February to August in 2020.......!!!
He has already had 4 separate hamstring injuries, at 23 years of age....Wow...!!!

He is a terrific talent, but my God, how can we overlook that injury record.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Based on what evidence? The fact that he became injury prone is more likely to do with the fact he had a really bad hamstring injury that kept him out for 4 months. Most players who have horrendous hamstring injuries forever struggle with them. The only way around that is to completely change the way you play the game. Even if its true that the Barca handling of him is bad what makes you think that our team can keep him fit, we have one of the worst records for recovering players with injuries.

£45m is cheap, but the lad has got hamstrings made of cheese.
I'm not here to provide you evidence but rather give you a alternative view which has been discussed in this thread by the resident French fans which makes sense to me. It's a alternative view that shouldn't be overlooked IMO and people shouldn't jump to conclusions and talk in certainties like they can predict the future.

Players like Giggs and Robben did struggle alot with hamstring injuries but their training regime was tailored towards their specific injury which helped both have a long career. Robben infact even in his 30s looked rapid when many predicted he was finished in his mid 20s.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I think he managed 9 games last season, and picked up 6 different injuries during 2019, and was also injured from February to August in 2020.......!!!
He has already had 4 separate hamstring injuries, at 23 years of age....Wow...!!!

He is a terrific talent, but my God, how can we overlook that injury record.
We can't and we shouldn't. But this is what happens when you let numbskulls run your football club.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Cant stay fit so has to be in addition to Sancho

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Just throw in a PS5 and he'll be on the first plane over, someone get down to the airport with a wheelchair.

dinostar77

I'm not here to provide you evidence but rather give you a alternative view which has been discussed in this thread by the resident French fans which makes sense to me. It's a alternative view that shouldn't be overlooked IMO and people shouldn't jump to conclusions and talk in certainties like they can predict the future.

Players like Giggs and Robben did struggle alot with hamstring injuries but their training regime was tailored towards their specific injury which helped both have a long career. Robben infact even in his 30s looked rapid when many predicted he was finished in his mid 20s.
Giggs has said on numerous occasions that yoga helped him massively with his injury prevention and especially his hamstrings. He didnt take it up till he hit his 30s. Not sure what Robben did to sort his hamstrings out but his injuries did tail off as he got older.

Status
Not open for further replies.