Ousmane Dembele

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redcy

Constructive optimism! At least it's a way to hope he'd not fall apart here, even though those kind of injuries tend to be his own body not being able to cope with his dynamic tendencies, which are obviously pushed to the limit in real games at full intensity.
I suspect if he wants to last more than five games in a bigger league he will have to change his style. Once you get bad hamstring injuries as a sprinter they don't really go away.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Coaxing a yes from the man will only get the deal done, not get us a willing motivated player. If this rumor is even semi-true we would have moved on two weeks ago.
I think his “no” to any move a few weeks back was based on hope that he could play for Barcelona. Now that Koemann has told him he is not in his plans, he has to move.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
This is a player who never had any major injuries before he joined barcelona, so there is probably an issue with how barcelona train their players that is different to how Dembele trained with his other clubs, They are all muscular injuries so with the proper training regime and in this age of sports science that we live in, it really should sort itself out.

If we get a fully fit Dembele, he will be the most devastating attacker on the team, you want to talk about dribbling, he is already one of the best dribblers in world football, he has explosive pace, he is as two footed as Mason Greenwood. He is a one man counter attack and you will be putting him in a team where he already has two friends, settling in will not be a problem for him.

I always wished we signed him all the way back when he was at Rennes and could not understand why we did not go for him then and let him join Dortmund so easily because even then I was of the opinion that he was already better than what we had in the wide positions.

For all those worried about his attitude, its been reported that Sancho also has a sketchy attitude as well, would that stop you from getting him.
If this is only a loan with an option to buy, then I don't see the problem. I'll take a player that is world class so long as we can manage him properly, I bet when he starts doing more high intensity training, the muscular injuries will be a thing of the past, Like I said they are muscular injuries, not impact injuries for all those that think that the premier league being harder means he will get injured more, I'd even go as far as to say that he suits the premier league a lot more than he suits La Liga because his game is based on explosiveness and pace but it also helps that he has excellent technical abilities.

I include these two links because they might be true of not but, I'd rather believe it anyway, I'm ever the optimist

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/19/ousmane-dembele-anthony-martial-manchester-united-transfer-man-utd-12579378/#:~:text=Martial is international team-mates with Dembele and has,attacker might have told his compatriot is unknown.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/11431212/barcelona-utd-transfer-martial-dembele/
But,with the amount of money Barca spent on Dembele, you would've thought after his 3rd hamstring injury they would've looked deeper into a particular reason as to why he was picking them up so regularly now ?

Unless Barca have been totally reckless and are not giving Dembele enough ample time for recovery and are simply rushing him back into fitness, which I don't buy.

Scholsey2004

I’m 46 so followed him from seeing him as a 16yo at the training ground. Like I say he had troubles with injuries which were completely different. However let’s assume you are correct (because there is no online stats I can pull), Ryan giggs never played less than 40 games a season (including internationals) until he was 35. Dembele has played 30 games in 21 months due to injuries
The 'injury troubles' you're referring to were typically hamstring injuries. I'm surprised anyone who followed United or just English football at the time wouldn't know that.

Redcy

The 'injury troubles' you're referring to were typically hamstring injuries. I'm surprised anyone who followed United or just English football at the time wouldn't know that.
Stop straw manning this, I have already said I know he had hamstring problems, just not in the same way that Dembele seems to have them, as you can see in the other stats based post, its clear that Giggs had one particularly bad season with being in and out (98/99), and even then he still played 41 games. In general he would miss one game after playing a few, and then be out for a block of games. Conversely Dembele seems to play a couple of games and then be out. Maybe its something mentally holding him back, maybe its something in his style. I still don't buy the narrative that Barca would just let a 100m player rot, not investigating the issues just because they had older players to protect. I am pretty sure that different players are given different training and playing routines.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If it’s a case of we can get both Sancho and Dembele then go for it. If Dembele is where we end up spending our RW money while sancho moves to another PL club then that’s a very bad move.
If we are living in fantasy, then I think we should buy Neymar AND Messi. This should guarantee us goals.

In all seriousness, the issue with Dembele is the injuries. Given that we have poor quality coaches, Dembele will be broken before he even plays a game with us.
We need a strong player who we can rely on to play games for us.
Dembele (assuming he'll be injured most of the time), won't be available for selection and won't improve us.
Given how we have started the season, we need re-reinforcements.

Giggsy13

I love the lazy analysis by some suggesting this is Di Maria 2.0 when the situations are so obviously different.

Di Maria was an important piece of that Madrid champions league winning team and was agitating for a new contract and to be paid like the other stars. Madrid found he was not worth the money and expendable. Then he pushed for a move to city and PSG by all accounts but neither could afford him. So we pop in and over pay and the rest is history.

Dembele on the other hand is not agitating for a new deal at Barca and showed a preference to stay this summer presumably to prove his worth. He turned down a move to the dippers with the reason being clear as day to anyone; no guaranteed playing time competing with Salah.

Pogba and Martial are obviously a decent pull for Dembele and could help him settle here. The Di Maria and Dembele situations are so different that it’s comical that some actually think they’re the same. The closest we got to it recently was our interest in dybala, which we thankfully turned down.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Would be another Di Maria/Sanchez/Pogba type signing
Signing another Pogba would be fantastic, he's been our best outfield player for years, really excited if this is the case.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Having worked with former professional athletes, I have been told time and time again that the most important quality in any athlete is availability...it doesn't matter if someone is the best in their sport if they can't get on/stay on the pitch/court/field. So Dembele fails in that aspect.

Also, even though Dembele has all of these amazing qualities (when fit) such as speed, close dribbling and two footed-ness, does he really add what United needs? United already has a pretty devastating counter-attack. While Dembele would fit in to the squad in that sense, he really doesn't help fix the biggest tactical hole, unlike Sancho I don't think Dembele's passing can unlock a low block defense.

Yes, Dembele would give United the depth on the wing it needs. Yes, Dembele has tremendous skills. Yes, he might represent tremendous value in a loan if he stays healthy. But ultimately he appears to be fragile and doesn't really enhance our attack by offering a different dimension...just piles on to what we already have as a counter attack winger.
A fit (what?) Dembele has attributes that make for an individual who is a superstar who doesn't 'need' others to shine or play his best game. Sancho is the consummate team player, so much so that one of the criticisms of him is that, for all his talent, he should be trying to take games over at key junctures when all the passing and moving etc. isn't working. Dembele is practically the opposite - someone who needs to learn how better to play in a team and work the basics and pick his moments to go solo better, so they're different sides of a coin, neither side being all encompassing at this point in time in their careers - they both need more of what the other has, and somewhere in the middle is the perfect player.

Dembele can run straight at a low block and unsettle it, pulling players all over the place and forcing them to break rank to help a flailing team-mate or two, which in turn provides space for others and causes panic and chaos that is obviously beneficial to his team. Dembele doesn't need anything but the ball to shine in any game at any point in time, whereas, Sancho needs smart players who can read what he's about to provide them with and move in accordance with it. Again, neither is 'better' than the other in terms of methodology, and subjectively, if you love a team player, Dembele could drive you nuts with his decision making and heroism, just as much as Sancho not going solo enough could frustrate on the other side.

Dembele adds a dimension literally no other player at the club currently can compete with - his runs and his movement have no particularly rhyme or reason and instinctively he can literally go wherever he wants and cannot be ushered to a weaker foot. Defenders cannot prepare for him; they cannot read his movements and they cannot hope to cope with his explosive actions that can lead to sudden snapshots or left-sided slaloming runs before he suddenly switch completely to the right... it's basically Martial at his best with Greenwood's ambidextrous unpredictability in when he'll shoot. We have nothing like him at the club.

Of course, all of the above counts for absolutely nothing when the caveat he has to be, and stay, fit for any of it to matter a jot.
I suspect if he wants to last more than five games in a bigger league he will have to change his style. Once you get bad hamstring injuries as a sprinter they don't really go away.
Problem with him is it's so much more than the hamstrings; what's just as big a concern for me, is he his lateral burst potential depends on his thighs and groins being able to take the stress. Even if he's not opening up in straight lines, he is dependent on his legs holding up to match his insane agility.

His injuries concern me greatly as pretty much everything that makes him special is predicated on his body being able to handle the strain.

DuruttiColumn

I love the lazy analysis by some suggesting this is Di Maria 2.0 when the situations are so obviously different.

Di Maria was an important piece of that Madrid champions league winning team and was agitating for a new contract and to be paid like the other stars. Madrid found he was not worth the money and expendable. Then he pushed for a move to city and PSG by all accounts but neither could afford him. So we pop in and over pay and the rest is history.

Dembele on the other hand is not agitating for a new deal at Barca and showed a preference to stay this summer presumably to prove his worth. He turned down a move to the dippers with the reason being clear as day to anyone; no guaranteed playing time competing with Salah.

Pogba and Martial are obviously a decent pull for Dembele and could help him settle here. The Di Maria and Dembele situations are so different that it’s comical that some actually think they’re the same. The closest we got to it recently was our interest in dybala, which we thankfully turned down.
I think the idea that Pogba and Martial are a “pull” for Dembele is a great example of lazy analysis.

Do you know if they Are friends? Or do all Black Frenchman get along well?

He'sRaldo

Dembele was never as good as Sancho. He was completely overrated. He didn't even do all that much before his move to Barcelona; 100m was an insane amount to pay.

His best season was 12 goals and 5 assists in Ligue 1. Sancho is 17 goals and 16 assists.

Also, just because one has injury issues doesn't mean another will. Dembele has massive issues with injuries. Would be a terrible signing.
I think that's in hindsight. In Dortmund he was rated to the sky, and stats didn't have much to do with it.

In any case, I wouldn't care too much about stats in the Bundesliga as they often don't translate smoothly. The more important thing should be talent or perceived talent, and to me Dembele is at least on the same level as Sancho as a winger.

monosierra

I'd rather take a fit, veteran loan option than a punt on a player with a serious injury record. As for his desire to play for us and his attitude, those are up for speculation.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think that's in hindsight. In Dortmund he was rated to the sky, and stats didn't have much to do with it.

In any case, I wouldn't care too much about stats in the Bundesliga as they often don't translate smoothly. The more important thing should be talent or perceived talent, and to me Dembele is at least on the same level as Sancho as a winger.
And Dembélé's stats at Barcelona are excellent. 19 goals and 16 assists in 4145 minutes is high level. The issue is when you realize that while he has been productive when on the field, he has only played the equivalent of one full season for Barcelona and that's entirely due to a string of serious injuries.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I don't believe we're in for Dembele or Cavani. Not even in the slightest.

Think we're trying to force Sancho to kick up a real fuss with the Dembele stuff. As for Cavani I find it highly unlike Ole to go for him at his age with his injury concerns. He's like the most anti-Solskjaer type deal there is. Maybe now Benfica are about to lose a striker to Spurs they will have the money to pay Cavani.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We have enough injury prone players eating up massive wages. Stay away. I’d honestly rather get Sarr.
Yeah, the warning signs are all there, I think despite his talent it’s probably too much of a risk. Even if we are desperate there’s no point signing a player who stands a good chance missing a big portion of the season, we’d be better off going for another stopgap who’s injury record is a bit more clean.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Dembele seldomly has any injury issue when he was at BVB. I suspect the training method in Barcelona and Dembele's playing style may play a part in it. Barcelona focus on slow build up play, but Dembele plays with explosive pace. If the training doesn't focus on high intensity cardio training, explosiveness of lower body strength(due to the age of the squad), it may be an issue for Dembele.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Rumours are he's starting tonight vs Celta Vigo away, going by the Barca forum.

And btw they think we're (United) are mad to take him. They want him out (of Barca) asap.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We won't get Dembele. I refuse to believe we are in for a player with as many issues as his. He doesn't want to be here, he can't stay fit, he has repeat offences of being laid back in training. I mean feck this lead honestly.

If Woody is competent it's just a smokescreen as we continue with Sancho. If he's not, this is genuine!

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Rumours are he's starting tonight vs Celt Vigo away, going by the Barca forum.
And btw they think we're (United) are mad to take him. They want him out (of Barca) asap.
If i am liverpool i will take him on loan with option to buy. Salah and Mane are 28 already.

peridigm

Rumours are he's starting tonight vs Celt Vigo away, going by the Barca forum.
I don't think we're really interested unless he can be had on loan for very cheap, shared wages, etc...
He just doesn't fit the profile of a player Ole wants to sign.
Want's to come to United? No
Good character? No

About the only requirement he fits is that he plays on the right. I'm calling bullshit on this rumor, or at the very least, it's posturing from United to make Sancho get nervous we're moving on and he puts in a transfer request.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
I think he would do well here. In his montage he got kicked alot, I doubt that would happen as much in the Premiership. Cavani and Dembele would be exciting, and even with a few injuries, would see us through this season.

Scholsey2004

Stop straw manning this, I have already said I know he had hamstring problems, just not in the same way that Dembele seems to have them, as you can see in the other stats based post, its clear that Giggs had one particularly bad season with being in and out (98/99), and even then he still played 41 games. In general he would miss one game after playing a few, and then be out for a block of games. Conversely Dembele seems to play a couple of games and then be out. Maybe its something mentally holding him back, maybe its something in his style. I still don't buy the narrative that Barca would just let a 100m player rot, not investigating the issues just because they had older players to protect. I am pretty sure that different players are given different training and playing routines.
I'm not 'straw-manning' anything Vis a Vis Dembele. I'm just pointing out it's strange for a United fan to be unaware of Giggs hamstring problems when he was well known for it, almost anecdotally, as he has himself addressed in the past. Especially from someone who has followed him since he was 16. You seem quite defensive in all honesty

reelworld

One thing to consider is that his injuries might be related to how undisciplined he is in managing his body.

If you want to recover fully from your injuries then staying up all night playing videogames isn't the best way to do it.

Scholsey2004

We won't get Dembele. I refuse to believe we are in for a player with as many issues as his. He doesn't want to be here, he can't stay fit, he has repeat offences of being laid back in training. I mean feck this lead honestly.

If Woody is competent it's just a smokescreen as we continue with Sancho. If he's not, this is genuine!
I don't know. Obviously Sancho is better in lots of ways, but if Dembele was available on loan, or even to buy for relatively cheap then it could be worth a nibble, especially if the board are unable/unwilling to fund the Sancho transfer in the he next couple of years. Dembele's still young after all. Obviously Sancho is the ideal signing though.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't know. Obviously Sancho is better in lots of ways, but if Dembele was available on loan, or even to buy for relatively cheap then it could be worth a nibble, especially if the board are unable/unwilling to fund the Sancho transfer in the he next couple of years. Dembele's still young after all. Obviously Sancho is the ideal signing though.
If it's Dembele and an actual RW then sure. If it's Dembele as our RW than feck no. The guy looks like he can't walk down a the pavement without getting injured.

SplitzMagic

Our front 3 when he arrives means we'll finally have a perfect front 3.

Rashford Martial Greenwood

Here we go!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Player doesn't want to leave while we are trying to convince him. That's a panic buy and it'll be Sanchez or Di Maria all over again. We want quality but also player who wants to play for us. I'm more concern with his commitment than his injury record.

Dolf

Doesn't meet Oles recruitment criteria , this is the worst bluff I've seen in a while.
You're right but if it's only a 1 year loan then I can believe it.
Play Dembele on the right this year and then try again for Sancho next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.