Ousmane Dembele

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh 76

Dembele was never as good as Sancho. He was completely overrated. He didn't even do all that much before his move to Barcelona; 100m was an insane amount to pay.

His best season was 12 goals and 5 assists in Ligue 1. Sancho is 17 goals and 16 assists.
Dembele was never good as Sancho?
People have very short memories.
This kid was on another planet before he went off the radar.

Red_toad

I I didn’t say he didn’t get hamstring injuries. When you look at his games though he would play for 3 - 4 months then be out for 4 weeks. Dembele barely plays for a month before being out for 5-10 games. Two different scenarios.
I think you need to read Ryan’s quote, as he’s saying he did and you’re contradicting his words! But feel free to carry on if you know better!

jackal&hyde

We have Pogba and Martial - that would be a bigger pull for him as he looks like the type of personality that needs to be surrounded with familiarity and people that would put their arm around him......could work out fantastically well.

Also, regarding his injuries, Utd have plenty of players that are very fast and therefore probably train these guys in ways that ensure that their hamstrings get looked after maybe better than at Barca who’ve had quite an abysmal injury record in recent times.....strange that he didn’t have these injury problems at BvB in a much colder climate - all his problems started at Barca....

still, he has got to have some desire to come and we’ve got to be able to negotiate without messing it up - which is a big ask based on this window
Good point on Martial and Pogba. Also Ole seems to be rather good with talented young players that lost motivation for one reason Mourinho or another.

Eddy_JukeZ

Dembele was never good as Sancho?
People have very short memories.
This kid was on another planet before he went off the radar.
He definitely wasn't.

Objectively, Dembele was never on another planet compared to Sancho.

Sancho has likely out-performed him if we compare their Dortmund careers.

Josh 76

He definitely wasn't.

Objectively, Dembele was never on another planet compared to Sancho.

Sancho has likely out-performed him if we compare their Dortmund careers.
All about opinions I guess. But the way people talk about Sancho is so over hyped.

tidraKS

Dembele was never as good as Sancho. He was completely overrated. He didn't even do all that much before his move to Barcelona; 100m was an insane amount to pay.

His best season was 12 goals and 5 assists in Ligue 1. Sancho is 17 goals and 16 assists.

Also, just because one has injury issues doesn't mean another will. Dembele has massive issues with injuries. Would be a terrible signing.
Wrong. His last season for Dortmund: Played 49 games, scored 10, assisted 21.
He was absolutely great and I still think he is if he manages to stay injury free.

Eddy_JukeZ

All about opinions I guess. But the way people talk about Sancho is so over hyped.
I mean I am pretty sure no one else has that opinion of Dembele. So you can't talk about Sancho being overhyped, when you claim Dembele was on another planet to him.

But if you feel that way, fair enough. Maybe we get him and he has a chance to show his worth.

Untd55

Wrong. His last season for Dortmund: Played 49 games, scored 10, assisted 21.
He was absolutely great and I still think he is if he manages to stay injury free.
I was only comparing league, but if we are doing totals then Sancho has 20 goals and 20 assists.

He may have been good, but the person I was replying to was saying he was much better than Sancho. Really doubtful.

-Supreme-

I don’t think there is a need for scouts if we only use goals and assists to define a player ability

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
If he doesn't want to leave Barcelona and would have be forced to come to United I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole. This guy has shown in Dortmund that he has no professionalism and would do about anything to get his way. Inlcuding going on strike or disappearing completely. This guy is a poison chalice.

Redcy

That's just plain wrong. I'm guessing you're too young to have seen the first half of his career but he had a huge amount of trouble with hamstring injuries.

OK So I decided to go check the actual stats, the seasons where he seems to have been most affect by injuries are 96/97, 98/99, where he played 26/24 of the 38 league games (note he still played 37 and 41 games in those seasons). This is for PL only, as we cannot tell a great deal from cups due to the way we played them at times, also its not certain that him missing games is down to injury but I will assume so for the stats.

in 96/97 he missed the first game played the first 7 games was out for 3, came back played 1, missed one then played 18 games before missing the last games to the end of the season

98/99 - 2 in, 1 out, 3 in, 1 out, 2 in, 4 out, 11 in, 1 out, 6 in, 5 out, 2 in

So arguably yes in 98/99 he had a particularly bad season, but again he still played over 40 games that year.

Redcy

I think you need to read Ryan’s quote, as he’s saying he did and you’re contradicting his words! But feel free to carry on if you know better!
Again Ryan's quotes talk about him suffering from multiple hamstring injuries, not the frequency or gaps between. So it is not incongruous with what I have said, or shown. 98/99 seems to have been his worst period where you could make an argument his injury woes were "similar" to Dembele (i.e. being in for a period then out), yet he made 41 appearances still.

If Ole decides this is our transfer direction then so be it, if he turns out to be a genius player then great, I guess I can't argue with it. Has Dembele ever show anything in his recent record or attitude to suggest he has it in him? Does he want to come to United, those are the things that concern me when we will be spending in the region of £20 million for a year of him.

van Nistelrooy

If he works out then we have a truly world class player
Why do we necessarily have a world-class player?

He had all the potential at Dortmund. Hence, why Barcelona decided to spend so big on him. However, he has failed to show anything for Barca or France over the past few seasons to suggest he is anything near a top class talent. Injuries haven't helped, but I don't believe in acquiring injury prone players. Add in the poor performances, bad conduct over training. What is there to suggest he could be a decent player for us? His youthful age and his past hype?

All that is likely to play against us. If he scored 10 goals over the season, we would no doubt pay a daft fee to acquire him despite all the issues that have plagued his Barca career likely to still be around.

croadyman

I see him as the best alternative to Jadon around and clearly still looks a top player despite the injuries,however as many have said I do have major concerns that he's not all that keen on joining and being forced out a la Di Maria.

Listen IF we could get the player who stayed fit for Dortmund and really ripped it up then it's a no brainer but big risk no doubt.

Bratone

Also, just because one has injury issues doesn't mean another will. Dembele has massive issues with injuries. Would be a terrible signing.
To me, Sancho never displayed the drilling ability or the lightning pace that Dembele showed at Dortmund, some other member posted a youtube compilation of him like 2 pages ago where you can see how easily he used to glide past players in a manner that only a few players in the world can, for me he is in top 5 dribblers in the world.

Also, he is 2 footed and you can see how much that matters when you look at Greenwood. Dembele is also a much better finisher, regardless of that missed chance against Liverpool.

If he comes here and stays fit will have the same impact in the league that Hazard did, only that he's more talented and can become twice the player that Hazard is. But, of course, that is a BIG, BIG IF.

SATA

If he doesn’t want to come, leave him there. No point forcing a player whose heart isn’t going to be here once he lands in Manchester

croadyman

If he doesn’t want to come, leave him there. No point forcing a player whose heart isn’t going to be here once he lands in Manchester
Yeah I can't disagree with that,we have already seen what happens before with players brought in that way

mu4c_20le

Once we sign him he will reveal that he was a Manchester United fan all along

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It’s like we’ve taken everything that hasn’t worked about every flop we’ve ever had, put them into a Venn diagram and decided to sign the only player that meets every criteria.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It’s like we’re taking everything that hasn’t worked about every flop we’ve ever had, put them into a Venn diagram and decided to sign the only player that meets every criteria.
What? Flopped at another big club? Attitude problems? Not really keen on signing? Injury prone? That’s exactly why it’s going to work out against all odds.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
This is such an infuriating transfer.

An injury-ravaged player with attitude problems who doesn't want to be here yet we still want him? How is this happening? How is Solskjaer not kicking down Woodward's door and headbutting him into submission?

Status
Not open for further replies.