Ousmane Dembele

Status
Not open for further replies.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
he will be fine with us as Pogba will put his arms around him, protect him and he will also have Martial there as well - they will become the new 3 Muskateers.......the French connection will help......id rather we just work this deal out now and stop wasting our time on ancho as that ship has sailed this window
Barcelona have a few French players too and that didn't help him much.

Adamsk7

When I go and watch a YouTube video of him, I get momentarily very hyped. He’s such a special player, just as much of a talent as Sancho and arguably even more exciting to watch. I just can’t see him being fit for more than 10-15 games this season but part of my thinks, on loan, that’d actually still make a difference we would absolutely destroy teams for pace with Rashford, Martial and Dembele. The fact that Greenwood is such a talent and is capable of playing anywhere along that front three and not diminish the quality much means that it’s doable IMO.

If we absolutely can’t get Sancho then I’d be happy with a loan with option now. If he can stay fit (VERY unlikely), he’d be a snip at even £80m

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He has repeat offences of being lazy in training?
Yes. It was reported and also said by well reputable journalists on podcasts (I think the totally football show, or talk of the devil's, both of which are affiliated with Athletic).

It was said teammates such as Messi and suarez weren't impressed, and a couple weeks ago he reported late to training twice which pissed Koeman right off.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm personally quite a bit indifferent about this potential transfer of Dembele because of his injury issues. I was pretty much against any signing of Bale when the rumours surfaced in huge part because of his fitness record as well as many other problems. I'd normally wouldn't want us to go anywhere near an injury prone player, like was the case with Bale but I have a soft spot for Dembele because he's the type of player and talent I'd want at United but won't be a hypocrite and back down on my stance when it comes to injury prone players, so I'm a sort of conflicted which leads me to being a bit indifferent.

If we miss out on him I wouldn't be fussed about it and if we were to get him, i'd wish and pray that he stays fit.
I share that sentiment and it was the same thing with Robben. The only way I would be positive about this is if we were talking about a big discount, basically maximum 50m or if it was a loan with an option to buy below 80m. We shouldn't sign him for a massive fee when we don't know if we can handle his potential fitness issues or if we can give him the proper support and help him grow up. I know that the latter will be shocking for some but management often involves more than what is on the field, someone like Cantona needed a manager like SAF and he needed a club like United, the club had strong leadership and Cantona was able to be himself within the structure of the club. Also Cantona had to be convinced that a move to the England was a good idea, he was ready to give up on football.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
As far as I know, he has never been accused of poorly training, if anything in the last year he has been praised for working hard. He has bad time keeping like many other players which is obviously not good but people make a meal out of it when it comes to Dembélé especially when someone then say that they hope that it is a smokescreen for Sancho, who has actually been accused of poorly training and is often late for training or team meetings.

And as far as I know, he doesn't have a bad attitude outside of being a poor time keeper, there is that one story where he overslept and pretended to be sick a few years ago which is probably the worst thing that he has done. Otherwise he seems to be generally liked. The main issue concerns his fitness and whether there is long term damages that have been made, earlier this year the Cope reported that according to the clinic Barcelona sent him to in Qatar, the reason behind his injuries was that the fitness programs that Barcelona gave him weren't adapted and caused relapses after relapses.

If he can stay fit, I think that he will be a very good player but he is clearly immature and can't be considered like someone that you leave on his own, he is typically the type of player that needs to be checked by a veteran player, that is also true for Sancho.
Thank you for that information. Sounds like a typical young lad to be honest. Injuries are still a concern but maybe we will have a training regime that will suit him better.

JPRouve

Scout
Yes. It was reported and also said by well reputable journalists on podcasts (I think the totally football show, or talk of the devil's, both of which are affiliated with Athletic).

It was said teammates such as Messi and suarez weren't impressed, and a couple weeks ago he reported late to training twice which pissed Koeman right off.
He has never been accused of being lazy in training. As for Messi and Suarez, they have been allegedly unimpressed by all the young players, iirc they thought that they shouldn't 'babysit them" that story wasn't specific to Dembélé and they apparently isolated all the young players which created two groups one made of Messi's friends and the rest made of the younger players and new arrivals with Piqué being the bridge, he is the one organizing team activities(mainly video games).
As for Koeman, he said this week that Dembélé was training well, I don't doubt that he may be upset about the 15 minutes late to an early meeting but it doesn't match with your claim that he is lazy in training.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He has never been accused of being lazy in training. As for Messi and Suarez, they have been allegedly unimpressed by all the young players, iirc they thought that they shouldn't 'babysit them" that story wasn't specific to Dembélé and they apparently isolated all the young players which created two groups one made of Messi's friends and the rest made of the younger players and new arrivals with Piqué being the bridge, he is the one organizing team activities(mainly video games).
As for Koeman, he said this week that Dembélé was training well, I don't doubt that he may be upset about the 15 minutes late to an early meeting but it doesn't match with your claim that he is lazy in training.
The reporters on the podcast had said specifically that dembele turned up late twice under Koeman, and was a repeat offender before.

He also was known to joke around too much and it didn't impress others.

I mean I don't know what to tell you, if you think that means his attitude is not lazy then let's agree to disagree. Turning up on time the following week doesn't really overwrite his general attitude.

witchtrials

He did didn’t he, especially before his injury. I thought he was sensational before that. Without him, we’d have been close to bottom half.
Just seems like an exaggeration to me. Rashford was excellent but a dozen other players met the standard of 20 goals/assists last year. Including Danny Ings. Saying 13 players all "ripped up" the league just seems daft.

RashyForPM

Just seems like an exaggeration to me. Rashford was excellent but a dozen other players met the standard of 20 goals/assists last year. Including Danny Ings. Saying 13 players all "ripped up" the league just seems daft.
They did. Ings is not the best example btw. He’s a top striker. 22 last season and 3 in 3 already this season.

witchtrials

They did. Ings is not the best example btw. He’s a top striker. 22 last season and 3 in 3 already this season.
To me if you're saying 13 players all "ripped up" the same league in the same year you're deep into hyperbole. Surely the expression is based on the idea of tearing up previous standards - you can't have over a dozen forwards all setting new standards for the league simultaneously.

It's just a matter of language and judgement though so maybe we just have different standards. Not much point arguing about it.

Abdullah7

Barcelona have a few French players too and that didn't help him much.
Agent P not just French. He is expressive, loud and has plenty of charm about him. You don't have Pogs figures in the social media for no reason. He got Addidas making him his own series like other elite super stars. He's infflutial and can play a big part of Ousmane's resurgence to his best. Believe that.

Bobski

I think his style of play is ideally suited to the PL, and if fit he is going to surprise many if Utd manage to push this through.

Johnnyredboots

Do not want, i'd rather sign nobody than have this guy.

He is a flop Barca are are trying desperately to get rid of. His injury record rivals Phil Jones, and by all accounts his attitude stinks and he doesn't even really want to come here. Honestly I'm terrified to see some of you think its a good deal. its an absolute desperation signing.

Quite frankly if this is Ed's "plan B" it just exposes how little he knows about football and how the board simply are not willing to back ole going forward.

Redcy

He better stay feckin fit and actually give a feck.
30 games in 22 months, let’s go with hope instead of a winger

I would hope playing with Pogba and Martial might push him on a bit. TBH I think this would be a great deal if we can't get Sancho for this season. Maybe he comes and he's fit all season, maybe he comes and he's fit for half the season. Even if it's for half the season we still have Greenwood being able to step up as a first choice winger for one half. Dembele is exactly what we want in terms of skillset for a right winger, he doesnt rely on the counter and can beat a man. Exactly what we need for the deeper lying defences.
Thank you for that information. Sounds like a typical young lad to be honest. Injuries are still a concern but maybe we will have a training regime that will suit him better.
Yeah I mean we are well known for our work with injured players, none of our players are suffering from continuous injury issues, and our recovery rates are all around great... oh
People keep saying about how he Could be like Arjen Robben. Except at Chelsea he played 29, 40 and 37 in his 3 seasons, at real he played 28 and 37 games respectively. Now of course that’s nowhere near what you would expect from a top player, however still not insignificant. Looking at his injuries they appeared to come in bouts, rather than being in and out

JPRouve

Scout
The reporters on the podcast had said specifically that dembele turned up late twice under Koeman, and was a repeat offender before.

He also was known to joke around too much and it didn't impress others.

I mean I don't know what to tell you, if you think that means his attitude is not lazy then let's agree to disagree. Turning up on time the following week doesn't really overwrite his general attitude.
Which is different to claim that someone is lazy in training, Dembélé is a poor time keeper, that is an established fact but we don't have to go further and claim that he is lazy. I mean Kanté is a poor time keeper too and always late, no one has ever called him lazy. A joking around has never made anyone lazy either.

ManchesterYoda

Dembele is a quality player but his injury record is a worry because it's the same injuries repeating.
First season at Barcelona he was injured with hamstring injury and torn muscle bundle, then last season he struggled with the same 2 injuries.
Should definitely be a loan signing if we are gambling on him. Hopefully he avoids injury until the end of season then we can send him back to Barcelona after loan injured :p

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Which is different to claim that someone is lazy in training, Dembélé is a poor time keeper, that is an established fact but we don't have to go further and claim that he is lazy. I mean Kanté is a poor time keeper too and always late, no one has ever called him lazy. A joking around has never made anyone lazy either.
We are really splitting hairs here. I said he has a lazy approach, i.e. His application toward training was as such.

Now when a player rubs teammates the wrong way for joking around too much and is a repeat offender for being late, it's quite apt to say he has a lazy approach.

Messi said himself in 2019 that Dembele has all the talent but he "needs to be more professional". Has anyone said anything remotely close about Kante in the team?

JPRouve

Scout
We are really splitting hairs here. I said he has a lazy approach, i.e. His application toward training was as such.

Now when a player rubs teammates the wrong way for joking around too much and is a repeat offender for being late, it's quite apt to say he has a lazy approach.

Messi said himself in 2019 that Dembele has all the talent but he "needs to be more professional". Has anyone said anything remotely close about Kante in the team?
Being more professional doesn't mean that you are lazy, in the context of the quote where Messi was talking about Dembélé achieving his full potential, it simply means that he needs to improve on certain things which is to be expected since he was talking about a 22 years old footballer, most of them have a few things to learn when it comes to managing their professional life in particular when it comes to things like sleeping, eating healthy and keeping time properly, it's a process for all athletes, unfortunately some of them are not given the time or space to learn quietly because fans and journos are on their backs 24/7 and exaggerate everything.

So to reiterate my point, no one has accused Dembélé of being lazy. He has been labelled as childish and someone that needs to learn how to be a perfect professional athlete but lazy or having a bad attitude, no. I believe that people need to make the distinction because I'm seeing people going way to far and some even insulting him for no good reason. The doubts and questions are warranted because you wan the perfect fit but sometimes football fans need to show some measure.

red4ever 79

A guy who cant get his ass out of bed on time to show up for work repeatedly is a lazy fecker

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
30 games in 22 months, let’s go with hope instead of a winger

Yeah I mean we are well known for our work with injured players, none of our players are suffering from continuous injury issues, and our recovery rates are all around great... oh
People keep saying about how he Could be like Arjen Robben. Except at Chelsea he played 29, 40 and 37 in his 3 seasons, at real he played 28 and 37 games respectively. Now of course that’s nowhere near what you would expect from a top player, however still not insignificant. Looking at his injuries they appeared to come in bouts, rather than being in and out
Where did I say this?

JPRouve

Scout
Maybe his mummy forgot to set his alarm clock for him.
As a matter of fact, yes. It's probably one of the reasons behind his childishness, it was reported when he was at Rennes that his mother would do everything for her kids. So yes, he has had to do what many of us have learned the hard way at the Uni without our parents around with the small difference that hopefully no one was talking about it on internet forums or in the paper. I would bet that most of us have been out when we shouldn't have, have been 5 to 15 minutes late to classes or work on a few occasions or flat out missed classes because maturity is something that you get with time and experience.

Castia

Looks like this is dead.
Sancho is dead.

We’re signing Cavani and that will be the lot. Thanks woody

HJ12

Read somewhere the domestic deadline still runs for another week and a bit? Perhaps if these deals fall through we'll still move on Sarr?

marc1_007

A guy who cant get his ass out of bed on time to show up for work repeatedly is a lazy fecker
Then I guess Sancho is lazy then

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ussia-Dortmund-training-sleeping-problem.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...Borussia-Dortmund-team-meeting-Barcelona.html

If you want to accuse Dembele of being unprofessional and having a bad attitude because he goes late to training sometimes, then at least be consistent because Sancho does the exact same thing and I don't see anyone accusing Dembele of this saying the same about Sancho or using it as a reason not to sign Sancho.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
This was never going to happen. I don’t get where the optimism came from that we were going to get this lad on loan. Maybe If we were willing to pay 80/90 million and take our chances... . More chance of turning the sancho deal around (about 5%!)

Stacks

The irony of people bringing up Dembele's training attitude while at the same time championing Sancho who himself is a repeat offender when it comes to training issues and arriving late because he has "sleeping issues". :lol:

Exactly :lol:
its hilarious

Being more professional doesn't mean that you are lazy, in the context of the quote where Messi was talking about Dembélé achieving his full potential, it simply means that he needs to improve on certain things which is to be expected since he was talking about a 22 years old footballer, most of them have a few things to learn when it comes to managing their professional life in particular when it comes to things like sleeping, eating healthy and keeping time properly, it's a process for all athletes, unfortunately some of them are not given the time or space to learn quietly because fans and journos are on their backs 24/7 and exaggerate everything.

So to reiterate my point, no one has accused Dembélé of being lazy. He has been labelled as childish and someone that needs to learn how to be a perfect professional athlete but lazy or having a bad attitude, no. I believe that people need to make the distinction because I'm seeing people going way to far and some even insulting him for no good reason. The doubts and questions are warranted because you wan the perfect fit but sometimes football fans need to show some measure.
here here

Stacks

Then I guess Sancho is lazy then

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ussia-Dortmund-training-sleeping-problem.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...Borussia-Dortmund-team-meeting-Barcelona.html

If you want to accuse Dembele of being unprofessional and having a bad attitude because he goes late to training sometimes, then at least be consistent because Sancho does the exact same thing and I don't see anyone accusing Dembele of this saying the same about Sancho or using it as a reason not to sign Sancho.
he is British so its "uncharacteristic"

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Well, this won't aid us in any Sancho attempts any further. We've likely got no alternatives and Dortmund have already made their position crystal clear in terms of pricing. Either we pay that or do our last minute scramble.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

I think you are misconstruing my term for laziness as I do not limit it to a physical application. I said it's his approach to training, and one does not need to be "more professional" than the baseline to simply turn up on time for example. Repeatedly taking a piss shows a lackadaisical approach.

Sure no one used the term "lazy". They just pointed to his attitude in podcasts unimpressing team mates, and then teammates himself saying he needs more professionalism. You can insinuate from that what you will but combine that with how he likes to turn up late repeatedly for training, I dont think its a far jump to conclude the approach is a laid back or "lazy" one.

My overarching point being, this is just one of many reasons we should avoid such a player. The other more important ones being, he doesnt want to come here and can't seem to stay fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.