Out of control dogs/dog attacks

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Okay that one was decent but most look like this

I was in a slider restaurant yesterday ordering at the counter & l felt something wet bump up against my hand. I turned around to see two of these dogs about 70 pounds each. One had bumped my hand with its nose. The owner didn't realize the dog had touched me & was effusive apologetic. I just wanted to know if I could pet them.

One minute later my face was covered with slobber & both were on their back letting me pet their bellies.

The majority of these dogs are babies & get a bad rap, but it's the cnut owners who don't get them trained properly or don't know how to properly handle large dogs that feck the whole breed over.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Behaving school for dogs should be mandatory for every owner, it would prevent thousands of attacks.

Cats kill millions of native animals per day here. They are responsible for numerous extinctions and should be banned. Even mine who never leaves the house.
True: a lot of species had gone extinct in the Mediterranean and Atlantic islands because of cats. Specially birds who made their nest on ground level.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I was in a slider restaurant yesterday ordering at the counter & l felt something wet bump up against my hand. I turned around to see two of these dogs about 70 pounds each. One had bumped my hand with its nose. The owner didn't realize the dog had touched me & was effusive apologetic. I just wanted to know if I could pet them.

One minute later my face was covered with slobber & both were on their back letting me pet their bellies.

The majority of these dogs are babies & get a bad rap, but it's the cnut owners who don't get them trained properly or don't know how to properly handle large dogs that feck the whole breed over.
#notallXLbullies

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

caid

The answer is that everyone should own Irish Red and White Setters. Virtually zero chance of anyone getting bitten much less mauled or killed (unless one falls off a balcony above you). They are also endangered :(

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8008075/Irish-red-white-setter-UKs-endangered-breed.html#:~:text=Irish red-and-white setter,endangered breed | Daily Mail Online

My two lunatics.

We had a red setter when i was a kid. Lunatic is a good description.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The IRWS are less loopy but just as characterful and emotional. The most gorgeous dogs though. Personality plus.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I run almost daily with my aussie and she's off leash then, but yeah I have to be on the lookout that we don't encounter other dogs. I trust mine a lot and she stays with me but you never know what the other might do, so there's that.

My sister-in-law has a 9-month old baby and that's what I'm most anxious about, he just started crawling, so now I never take our dog off leash when he's around; wouldn't be able to forgive myself if anything happened to him. Even though she's playful around him, she does make some unexpected movements, does not know her own power and impact and a dog is still a dog. Sister-in-law has a 10-year old toller retriever herself and she literally trusts him with the baby everywhere, even left alone. I don't get that but it's her own responsibility at least.
Aye, send some photos of your aussie? Generally those shepherds should be very good around people/kids, aren't they? You met my retriever, Lola and yeah, she's got this vicious bark (retrievers supposedly have the loudest/or one of the loudest barks) when she's scared or even at some people every so often, but she's so sweet with kids. Never ever had even an ounce of concern when she plays around with kids/babies. They could be pulling her hair and she just stands there with them, tail wagging.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
This conversation has been had on here before. There is / was a vet that posted in that thread and he said he'd been bitten by every breed known to man. It has to be the owners every time unless someone good has adopted an abused dog that may be beyond repair

Jericholyte2

The problem with banning dogs for attacks is that it’s based almost on a two axis graph:

- the likelihood of that breed attacking a human
- the impact of an attack

Except the complexity of the second part is too varied to account for empirically because of issues such as the size/ weight/ age of both the dog and the human.

Based on the assumption that ANY dog would attack a human if it felt significantly threatened, the impact depends on the ratio above - a vicious little chihuahua for example might just cause a cut or scratches on an adult, but could cause life-long injuries to a baby or toddler.

The only solution (on paper) is greater regulation of sales and ownership, except I believe the ‘market’ is already too widespread to regulate effectively.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-66817795

A man left in a critical condition after being attacked by two dogs has died.

The incident happened outside Main Street, Stonnall, near Walsall, on Thursday afternoon, police said.

The victim was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham and was confirmed dead, the emergency services said.

A man, 30, from Lichfield was arrested on suspicion of having dogs dangerously out of control.

A West Midlands ambulance service spokesman said said: "Upon arrival we found a man who had sustained multiple life-threatening injuries and was in a critical condition."
The ambulance services confirmed he died after he arrived at the hospital.

Kag

Adding XL Bullies to the Dangerous Dogs Act is one of the more obvious political decisions in recent times.

They’re weapons, and if some good folk have to do without and hand them back in then it’s a reasonable adjustment that has to be made. Prosecute those who don’t with the same conviction you would with those who carry knives.

More than ten people dying in the space of two years due to an animal is completely unacceptable.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'm not saying I'm against the breed being banned, I'm just generalising that on the whole, dog attacks could be prevented a lot more by owners being more aware of signs/better training/equipment.

E.g as XLs are known to flip, in households they could be kept in separate rooms etc as they maybe fine with their family, but may not do so well with other people.
But you’re relying on people to behave responsibly. Haven’t you seen enough evidence the last few years that society is full of feckwits with not an ounce of common sense between them? It’s these people that get these dogs on the whole because most sensible people will think “I’ve got kids im not taking the risk”. So if you’re relying on a bunch of gormless idiots to make the right decision, this topic will go around for years to come

Parma Dewol

I don't mind dogs, but after all the headlines in recent years I'm increasingly wary.

Used to ride my bike on a particular route I love, but it involves going past a house with no gates, whose owners let the dog roam free. Been chased by it twice and no longer go that way, scares the hell out of me.

We also now have a toddler in our ranks, and though she loves animals, I pick her up whenever a dog is approaching, no matter of what shape or size. No offense to the owners, who are often lovely, I just do not want to risk it.

Think the other half would like to have a family dog at some point. I'm waiting 'til the little one's at least 10 just to be on the safe side.

Matty7

But you’re relying on people to behave responsibly. Haven’t you seen enough evidence the last few years that society is full of feckwits with not an ounce of common sense between them? It’s these people that get these dogs on the whole because most sensible people will think “I’ve got kids im not taking the risk”. So if you’re relying on a bunch of gormless idiots to make the right decision, this topic will go around for years to come
I agree you rely on people behaving responsibly. Sadly like you say, not all do - and there's not much which can be done about this either unless you vet every person who buys a dog. But even that will still not work.

As for the XL, like I said I'm not against it being banned as attacks are a common factor sadly.

Spark

I'd be surprised if banning XL bullies will do anything. They aren't even a defined breed, basically all a bunch of slightly similar cross breeds.

They're also really really similar to loads of other bull breeds. If certain morons didn't crop the ears and jack their "XL Bullies" on roids I doubt many people would be able to tell the difference between a normal one and a staffy.

Proper legislation would be making it mandatory for large dogs to be muzzled in public and be on a lead. Then go hard after the backyard breeders who are really easy to find because it's not actually very illegal to "breed" dogs (aka puppy farm in terrible conditions, which means these nutty dogs also get a lovely dose of stressful traumatic upbringing to aid their unpredictability).

As long as people are able to cross any combination of dogs willy nilly without any sort of licence or inspections, banning breeds does feck all.

slyadams

This conversation has been had on here before. There is / was a vet that posted in that thread and he said he'd been bitten by every breed known to man. It has to be the owners every time unless someone good has adopted an abused dog that may be beyond repair
Sorry, but this is a silly argument, its so reductive. Yes any dog can bite you but the two important factors are:
  1. Frequency of attack
  2. Impact of attack
The combination of those two things determines how dangerous a dog is.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

Majority of the time they're not going to be ripping people's faces off. Even those that are good owners have had them snap though, and once they do the person on the receiving end is fecked. There was a case of a friendly family pit, where the daughter bent down to stroke it and it clamped on to her mouth, wouldn't let go and eventually ripped off her lips and surrounding skin. Disfigured for life. I'm sure that dog was slobbering on its back for them before that too.

slyadams

This thread is full of comments that parllel so strong to the gun debate in America:
  1. Guns don't kill people, people do. We shouldn't ban guns but focus on mental health.
  2. Any dog can be dangerous the problem is bad owners.
The bad faith part of these arguments is that it pre-supposes you can "fix" people. You can't, bad people will get guns and dangerous dogs and terrible things happen. There's no need for either.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
By a setter? I'd be surprised.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
This thread is full of comments that parllel so strong to the gun debate in America:
The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a pitbull is a good guy with a pitbull.

Every teacher should be given their own pitbull to prevent school mauling.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Never heard of someone being killed by a poodle attack though.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Never heard of someone being killed by a poodle attack though.
I didn't see poodle, but there are some surprises on the list of breeds with a fatal attack on a human being in the US between 2005 and 2017. Chihuahua, Welsh Corgi, Schnauzer, Shiba Inu, Jack Russel terrier and Dachshund are all on the list

Last edited:

slyadams

I didn't see poodle, but there are some surprises on the list of breeds with a successful kill in the US between 2005 and 2017. Chihuahua, Welsh Corgi, Schnauzer, Shiba Inu, Jack Russel terrier and Dachshund are all on the list
What a strange way to word that.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Last edited:

Dan_F

Sorry, but this is a silly argument, its so reductive. Yes any dog can bite you but the two important factors are:
  1. Frequency of attack
  2. Impact of attack
The combination of those two things determines how dangerous a dog is.
Plus how easy is it to remove that dog from a situation where it won’t keep attacking.

A little dog trying to bite a vet when it’s distressed is clearly very different to a giant dog that locks its jaws and is seemingly impossible to remove from the victim.

I can’t imagine many dog breeds would continue attacking someone when they are being kicked and hit repeatedly, like we saw in those videos.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There should be genuine punishment for owners who's

So 10 dogs and the old woman is OK after the attack.....

https://en.mercopress.com/2022/10/2...ll-34-years-ago-and-social-media-remembers-it

Did find this absolutely savage attack though.
Amazing detail in that 10 poodle attack..

As she tried to fend off the pack of poodles, Burleson felt her finger being bitten. She was stunned when she realized it was the owner of the poodles, who was allegedly biting her finger, the paper said.

slyadams

My Facebook had a fair few people moaning about the ban. How stupid can people be? I'm sick of the 'any dog can be aggressive' crap. This breed is lethal and should be banned.
Its precisely the same bullshit argument gun owners use: you can kill someone with a hammer as well as a gun.