Film Overrated actors

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Jason Statham. The most one dimensional actor in history.
The thing is though, is he rated? I think he's a good movie star, but I don't think there are people out there who think he's Olivier. He does what he does, and does it quite well.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
These threads just descend into people with smoking hot takes who like to be controversial for the sake of it...and with that being said, let me throw one out myself.

Would people consider Tom Hanks overrated. Just want to make clear that saying he's overrated is not the same thing as saying he's shit - he's not. But, and maybe this has more to do with the fact that he's such a huge star, every time I watch him he's just Tom Hanks. Perfectly fine in movies and he seems a great guy, but should he be ranked as one of the best of all time? Not for me, Clive.

mu4c_20le

Casey Affleck, can't believe he got an award for that Manchester by Sea movie. It was just him being awkward or stoned/shell shocked the whole movie
Thank you. Was going to mention him but then I looked at his bio and realized he wasn't really rated anymore after that movie. All he ever does is mumble and act weird.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm under the impression that this thread is an annual event and I'm always amazed by the fact that this topic is highly subjective yet everyone speaks with authority. :lol:

Dr. StrangeHate

Thank you. Was going to mention him but then I looked at his bio and realized he wasn't really rated anymore after that movie. All he ever does is mumble and act weird.
I think he doesn't get movies because several women accused him of harassment. If me too hadn't happened I am sure he would be rated even now.

Dr. StrangeHate

I'm under the impression that this thread is an annual event and I'm always amazed by the fact that this topic is highly subjective yet everyone speaks with authority. :lol:
When it comes to entertainment everything is subjective.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
You'd love his performance in David Lowery's Ghost Story.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart were both over rated in Twilight and have done nothing of note really since. Ashton Kutcher is also over rated. I'd finish off with Madonna, who just can not act despite loads if attempts and Russell Brand.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Daniel Day Lewis. If "great acting" means transforming into a completely different person each film then I guess he would be classed as "great" but I base acting quality on how many catchphrases they have and I don't remember Plainview, Lincoln or Bill the Butcher ever saying "that's what she said".

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Daniel Day Lewis. If "great acting" means transforming into a completely different person each film then I guess he would be classed as "great" but I base acting quality on how many catchphrases they have and I don't remember Plainview, Lincoln or Bill the Butcher ever saying "that's what she said".
Plainview had quite a few catchphrases, to be fair.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don’t think Statham is particularly highly rated, but I also wouldn’t say he is only capable of being the action blockbuster star he is now. He was the best thing about Lock Stock, and outshone the others 3 who were all professional actors. There was a fair bit of charisma he put in that role which isn’t really demanded by the sort of stuff he churns out these days.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I think actors who mostly do action movies should partly be judged on their ability to do their own stunts.

Denis79

Quentin Tarantino, fantastic director but dogshit as an actor. Can't even make 10 seconds on the screen convincing.

Pickle85

Pretty much. He's perfectly fine, but no more. And he seems a splendid fella
Disagree, Aside from the 'splendid fella' part. Though I do kinda see what you mean. I reckon he's shown a decent range and chooses some great films. Brilliant in Philadelphia and Forrest Gump imo and great in The Green Mile, Saving Private Ryan, Captain Phillips. He does play a lot of everyman characters though, it has to be said. I do love him though.

Pickle85

Quentin Tarantino, fantastic director but dogshit as an actor. Can't even make 10 seconds on the screen convincing.
I watched True Romance the other day and Jesus that has not aged well.

Zen

I'd love to see most of these not overrated(which seemingly skimming this thread is basically Nicholson or DeNiro at this point) actors pull off what Statham did in Crank. These goddamn haters.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Johnny Depp comes to mind straight away. He doesn't really have range it's just eccentric.
Although I like him, agree on this one. His acting and moves in Pirates are copied from Fear and Loathing for example. And he mostly goes for those eccentric types of role. That said, I loved him in Donnie Brasco.

Would add George Clooney, Mark Wahlberg, Robert Downey Jr and Nicolas Cage (tbf Cage have some great roles like Leaving Las Vegas).

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Bit of a 180 for this thread, but why did Liam Neeson go from Schindler's list, Rob Roy and Les Miserables to Taken 318: showdown on the tube to Worcester?

Zen

Has no one seen Chopper or something? There is no competition in terms of Hardys best performances.
I'm not sure I'm in on this joke. He was in some 2000 Aussie film with Eric Bana? Was he even allowed in Australia when he was juiced off his head in 2000? :lol:

Zen

Random as hell... but Vin Diesel does have a pretty decent lead role in Find Me Guilty.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Oh, there's alot of bad acting in the majority of super-hero TV shows. Don't think the actors are rated particularly highly though.