Film Overrated actors

OleBoiii

Well, we'd first have to create a Redcafe's Ultimate Best Actors Of All Time list to be able to discuss reasonably
It's very hard to decide on a standard, to be fair. Is range important or is it OK to have a specialty? Should consistency be rewarded or is it OK to be judged based on 1 or 2 amazing performances?

Morgan Freeman is a great actor, but he almost always plays the same character. The same could be said of Al Pacino, I guess? Leonardo Di Caprio is very consistent and has very good range. Jim Carrey's faces are a comedic work of art and he can also do drama really well.

Last edited:

shabz

Johnny Depp comes to mind straight away. He doesn't really have range it's just eccentric.

Sandra Bullock is someone who I've never thought has been outstanding at acting, but has been in quite a few good movies.

Flamingo Purple

The wrong skeptic
Matt Damon always seems to put in pretty bland performance.
Someone saying Daniel Day Lewis as an overrated actor is shocking. There are very few films where i can see past the actor to the character, in There Will Be Blood, In The Name Of The Father and Last Of The Mohicans, Daniel Day Lewis plays three completely individual unique characters with believable mannerisms and traits.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Daniel Day Lewis getting a mention in here is, frankly , laughable. Seems no one can see past There Will Be Blood.
My Left Foot, My Beautiful Laundrette are two that come to mind that illustrate his clear ability in this field.
But, yeah, Overrated.JFC.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
That may be true but doesn't preclude him being overrated.
That’s true.
Don’t really think he’s overrated, though. He’s a victim of what I call the Beckham-effect. He was once so famous and well liked, that he become quite overrated and through the years people kept talking about how overrated he was, to the point where I feel he might actually be underrated.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
This is just going to be a load of actors people don’t particularly like for whatever reason.
...and people losing their shit because those actors just happen to be their favourites.

OleBoiii

What's your opinion of Will Smith?
He's OK. He has his moments("how come he don't want me, man"), but overall I don't see any acting excellence.

He's extremely charismatic and likeable though, so he can make most roles work. I haven't actually seen the Aladdin live action remake, but I heard that people liked his take on the Genie? To me, that speaks volumes. Everyone lost their mind over the idea that someone other than Robin Williams was gonna play the iconic Genie. If anyone was gonna do their own take and get away with it, then it's Will Smith.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Overrated - Between Jesse Eisenberg & Keira Knightley.

Underrated - Ciaran Hinds.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I can take or leave Hardy. His best performance to date is still Locke though.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Loved that. It's hard to capture an audience alone in a car.
Yes, that's where he effectively showcased his abilities as a lead, for me.

I also enjoyed his subtleness, which can be a refreshing contrast to Hardy's usual screen personas, in Dunkirk.

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
Adam Sandler but probably doesn’t belong in this thread as I doubt anyone rates him. He would be more suited to a ‘people who are successful despite being shit at everything’ thread.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Yes, that's where he effectively showcased his abilities as a lead, for me.

I also enjoyed his subtleness, which can be a refreshing contrast to Hardy's usual screen personas, in Dunkirk.
Yep. His face is covered same as when he was Bane and he can still engage.
I love when he gets crazy too.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Indifferent towards Emma Thompson.
Adam Sandler but probably doesn’t belong in this thread as I doubt anyone rates him. He would be more suited to a ‘people who are successful despite being shit at everything’ thread.
But then he was brilliant in Anderson's Punch Drunk love and recently Uncut Gems.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Adam Sandler is a good actor who does loads of terrible crap movies. But he can act. Punch Drunk Love is great.

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
Indifferent towards Emma Thompson.

But then he was brilliant in Anderson's Punch Drunk love and recently Uncut Gems.
I’ll have to take your word on it. I haven’t seen them. Unfortunately after having to sit through That’s My Boy, The Ridiculous 6, Little Nicky, Pixels, Jack & Jill etc etc I have some deep emotional scarring and can no longer bare to face an Adam Sandler film.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Yep. His face is covered same as when he was Bane and he can still engage.
I love when he gets crazy too.
Yep, would love to see him do more low-key, grounded character driven work. I still think that where's he's best utilized. There's alot of personality and raw texture in his face that is still, for me, underutilized fully.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Matt Damon always seems to put in pretty bland performance.
Someone saying Daniel Day Lewis as an overrated actor is shocking. There are very few films where i can see past the actor to the character, in There Will Be Blood, In The Name Of The Father and Last Of The Mohicans, Daniel Day Lewis plays three completely individual unique characters with believable mannerisms and traits.
haha are you mad ?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I know this is the wrong thread but I just want to say how truly underrated Peter Postlethwaite was as an actor. One of England's greats.

Tarrou

the kid from This Is England

I'm not sure anyway rates him to be honest, but he's well shit

Idxomer

From the ones who are rated really highly, Robert De Niro and Daniel Day-Lewis

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Jean Claude van Damme. He only starred in all those movies because of his great Belgian accent.

Also Charly Chaplin. He was just lucky he looks like Hitler and never had any dialogue.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I know this is the wrong thread but I just want to say how truly underrated Peter Postlethwaite was as an actor. One of England's greats.
He truly is. Distant voices, still lives is an incredible performance by him.

mu4c_20le

Robert Downey Jr., great redemption story and all that but he's basically been playing the same character for over a decade. Tropic Thunder was his last good role.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
These threads just descend into people with smoking hot takes who like to be controversial for the sake of it...and with that being said, let me throw one out myself.

Would people consider Tom Hanks overrated. Just want to make clear that saying he's overrated is not the same thing as saying he's shit - he's not. But, and maybe this has more to do with the fact that he's such a huge star, every time I watch him he's just Tom Hanks. Perfectly fine in movies and he seems a great guy, but should he be ranked as one of the best of all time? Not for me, Clive.

Dr. StrangeHate

Casey Affleck, can't believe he got an award for that Manchester by Sea movie. It was just him being awkward or stoned/shell shocked the whole movie