Overrated defence?

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Completely agree. Far too many people on here jump on people if they dare criticize one of them and it's some sort of mystery why our defence has been porous and a weak point since rio and Vidic declined. I see posts like people saying smalling is already a top class defender which just boggles the mind. If our current defenders were top class, then surely we wouldn't be letting in so many soft goals as we have over the last 2 years? I said it before but it gets overshadowed by all the others on here who think smalling/Evans can do no wrong. I can't see a future top class centre back partnership between the defenders we currently have. Jones can reach the required standard but he's still a decent amount if time away from that, and Evans has never given me a sense of security. Him and Vidic are the best of a decent bunch at the moment, nothing more.

I think Evans will always be a very good squad player, though can't really judge Smalling yet as he simply hasn't played enough games at CB to know how good he is. Definitely agree that our defence is overrated by our fans apart from Rafael. Not sure if the likes of Evans and Smalling are currently that much better than say, Gary Cahill or Phil Jagielka?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think Evans will always be a very good squad player, though can't really judge Smalling yet as he simply hasn't played enough games at CB to know how good he is. Definitely agree that our defence is overrated by our fans apart from Rafael. Not sure if the likes of Evans and Smalling are currently that much better than say, Gary Cahill or Phil Jagielka?
Yeah that's definitely fair. Cahill and Jagielka also have a lot more experience then Smalling or Evans, and although they're both good, they aren't much more then just that. Evans' level is probably at a team who's challenging for a top 4 spot, rather then a defender who can become a key player for a title winning side. Same with Smalling. Only Jones can I really see excelling and becoming a world class defender, and even that thought is probably influenced by Sir Alex's over the top praise.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea

On current forum they arent better at all.

Jones looks the best of all of them, especially in terms of progression, but as has bene said he seems to get injured easily.

Amir

We have some fantastic defensive talents. But we don't have a defensive unit and we don't have a midfield shielding it well enough.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
We really have two upcoming promising CB (Smalling and Jones), Evans who while very good isn't ever going to be on of the best CB around as our best CB currently, and then two experienced CB who are getting towards the end. The problem lies now that we need to transition from The vidic/rio partner ship to the new one as the younger players are at par or now better than them. The only problem is we keep changing the make up of the defence, meaning while individually the players are good enough, as a unit they make mistakes.

Plus it doesn't help when you then add in players like Buttner and Smalling being played at FB, as Evra is tiring and Rafael is injured. And a midfield that can at times be totally bypassed, meaning the defence is often exposed. We need to get the parts working together as a unit. Quit some of the rotation, or at least try and rotate in pairs. Build up the coordination.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I think Evans is more like Gary Neville, not inherantly talented as the rest...but ana be up there with anyone by sheer hard work and commitment. Agree that Jones and Smalling may have more talent, but they would be hard pressed to dislodge Evans out of that position. Partner him with Smalling on consistent basis and have a in form Carrick/Jones playing sheilding them and we will do good. It is unfortunate that injuries force us to shuffle around...but them that is temporary state of affairs. We should just lump and roll with it for now.

Mad Winger

You know, attack might just be the best sort of defence. Pretty much all the best club teams in the modern era that have been a huge and consistent success, have been teams with strong attacking football. You don`t become a true top team by just defending really well. Barca 09-11 is considered one of the best teams ever. But if we look at their defence isolated, are we then looking at the best defence ever? Moreover; are they even close to earning this title? I really doubt it.

The weaker the midfield and attack, the more exposed the defence. That`s common knowledge. I think that we have a brilliant set of defenders with loads of potential. If Rafael can stop getting injured and Evra is given more rest, ,aybe even replaced fulltime, then we`re pretty much gold in this department. DDG is world class, so there`s no point talking about the goalkeeper position.

So no, I don`t think that our defense is overrated. I just think it`s being exposed way too much, mainly because we our attacking display is of midtable quality.

Salfordlad70

The defence, if left with a settled four, which involves Rafael being fit along with Jones and Evans is pretty good.The LB positiion is not so good mind.The problem the defence has is similar to our attack, and that's the midfield.Ou midfield offers little support to both.No support and protection for the defence and no creative support for the attack.Our midfield is fecking depressing me no end and actually it infuriates me, especially when I think of the talent we have allowed to leave, the players we have persisted with, the players we have bought, the players we won't buy and the players we spent a summer chasing with no fecking hope of buying! The defence is LB and a little time for the young members to gel away from being very good indeed!

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It's hit us hard that Vidic, Rio and Evra are all seemingly declining rapidly - at the same time. The replacements definitely isn't the required standard atm, but then again, the defence needs to be judged "as a whole".

You attack and defend as a team. When your midfield is almost non-existsent and your attack is devoid of any ideas and struggle to keep hold of possession (especially when pressed), you're bound to concede your fair share of goals.

They key part about our 07/08, 08/09 sides which were excellent defensively, was that our attack was deadly and teams feared us. Sure our defence was definitely a world class unit, but these days, we're put under a lot more pressure (because the fear is gone) with a lot less protection/cover, especially through the middle.

Looking to the future, Rafael, DDG and Jones are all excellent talents, so there's not much to worry about, if we can add a very good LB and hopefully one of Vidic/Evans/Smalling can reach their potential (or in Vida's case, regain his form).

MoneyMay

We have some fantastic defensive talents. But we don't have a defensive unit and we don't have a midfield shielding it well enough.
Agree with this, but there are other factors. I'm still unsure on Evans playing in a high line. It obviously makes space compact between lines and gives opposition less space to work with, but I've not been impressed with him in a high line - he should have covered space better when Ferdinand came out yesterday for Swansea's first goal and he could have done better for Cardiff's goal. Unrelated to said high line, he should have done in defending Southampton's late equaliser and Hull's second goal. I do think he's a bit overrated/underrated, but I think it says a lot when members on here don't praise him enough for his great performances, yet they're so quick to criticize him.

Ekeke

Evans is a good defender but I think he'll always have a problem because he doesnt particularly fit a physical archetype. Its almost always true that quick defenders deal best with the smaller, quicker, cleverer strikers like Aguero and the bigger physical players deal best with the likes of Drogba and other focal point type strikers.

Evans will find it tough against both types of player when they play well because he doesn't have speed and he's quite weak for a 6 foot defender. That isnt to say he cant play well against either type of striker, because he has done so plenty of times. But you'll rarely if ever see him completely dominate either type of player when they play well, like Vidic has done against top physical strikers for example and some of the quicker CBs have done against the top smaller strikers.

finneh

I think it's a combination of some of our defenders being overrated and the system we are employing.

Obviously we don't have a Vidic-Ferdinand partnership anymore. Evans is a good player and will definitely be at the club for the entirety of his career, but I don't think anyone could argue that he's got the ability to become one of the best central defenders in the world, like his predecessors. Likewise injuries have taken their toll and Vidic isn't the player he was 3~ years ago. Jones in my opinion will be a mainstay in our defence long term and has the potential to be World Class, but the more he is played in midfield, the longer it will take him to develop and reach that potential. Smalling I am still undecided; he has shown glimpses of his ceiling, which in my opinion is very high. However again playing out of position, injuries and playing with different partners when he is central seems to be stagnating his development.

In the short term I think everyone would agree that we need to give Jones-Evans a run of games together. I think this would be a quality partnership and think Evans might be able to step up another level if he develops and understanding with a player of Jones' ilk. This partnership long term would certainly be at least as good as Chelsea/City/Arsenal's.

For the full back positions we need to alter our tactics so that Evra isn't constantly exposed (whilst looking for his replacement). In my opinion this means not playing Kagawa/Januzaj on the left, as asking someone who is nearly 33 to be a full back and a winger isn't a viable option and isn't working. Rafael is the best full back in the League and when fit can perform this role (so play the aforementioned 2 in front of him).

holyland red

"Holier-than-thou fundamentalist"
We don't have an established back 4, which is our biggest problem imo. Plenty have been said about the need to replace Evra, and I reckon the other flank is even a bigger problem. True that Rafael is young and a very good option to have on the right when he is fit, but he never is. Over a season we are better off having an over-the-hill left back playing regularly than rotating among up to 7 options (Rafael, Jones, Smalling, Fletcher, Valencia, Fabio and Cleverley). The alleged ability of some in that list to perform well is several positions have left to some awful substitutions that have cost us too, with players taking time to adjust. We have a very good set of young CBs that will only get better when not asked to rotate in every position across the back 4.

Perhaps not first on our shopping list, but if Rafael doesn't show any progress in terms of his long-term fitness I think we have to look at bringing in a first-choice RB.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
We have been leaking goals left right and center. Guess who has been a mainstay of that poor defense? Evans. I've said it before, he's good but he shouldn't be our future. My problem with him is that he never gets close or tight enough to his man, always allowing his man to win the first ball. It's like he's afraid or not strong enough to get physical.

Count Orduck

I thought that the Smalling - Evans partnership we played with for a few games looked very solid, but then Rafa went and got injured again.

MoneyMay

We have been leaking goals left right and center. Guess who has been a mainstay of that poor defense? Evans. I've said it before, he's good but he shouldn't be our future. My problem with him is that he never gets close or tight enough to his man, always allowing his man to win the first ball. It's like he's afraid or not strong enough to get physical.
Evans has directly cost us two goals?

Decotron

You're not making much sense. If you think he's shit just say it properly!

Same old crap on the CAF. He was the only defender to start all our games when we had those 3 or 4 clean sheets in a row recently. 4 years ago he played more games than either Rio or Vida in the record breaking clean sheet run.....VDS 's reaction to beating the record;

"I have to be happy with it on a personal level but it is a great team effort also," said Van der Sar. "We have had a lot of players injured during this run of games. But Jonny Evans has been fantastic"

You'd swear we havent won stuff with him in the side or something, poor fella has to reconvince fans every season. Bit like Fletcher and JOS in that regard.

bosnian_red

You're not making much sense. If you think he's shit just say it properly!

Same old crap on the CAF. He was the only defender to start all our games when we those 3 or 4 clean sheets in a row recently. 4 years ago he played more games than either Rio or Vida in the record breaking clean sheet run.....VDS 's reaction to beating the record;

"I have to be happy with it on a personal level but it is a great team effort also," said Van der Sar. "We have had a lot of players injured during this run of games. But Jonny Evans has been fantastic"

You'd swear we havent won stuff with him in the side or something, poor fella has to reconvince fans every season. Bit like Fletcher and JOS in that regard.
Nobody is saying he's crap, we're saying he's good but people like you are overrating him and putting him on a pedestal that makes it hard for you to see that our defence has struggled since he became a mainstay in it. I'm not saying it's because of him, but because rio and Vidic were such a great partnership throughout the years, once they started declining we were always going to struggle. Can you seriously tell me that Evans is as good of a centre back as any of our previous great centre backs? Or that he even has the potential to be? He lacks the organization and the leadership to tell the rest of the defence what hey need to do, where they need to be. Defending is so much more then being good as an individual. He has to tell the defence what to do as a unit, tell the midfielders to be compact and organize them. You can't say any defender had a good game individually if we concede a few goals, because they either play well as a group or play poorly, and our defence has rarely played well as a group over the last 2 years, which so happens to be when Vidic got injured and we started seeing a lot more of Evans instead.

Decotron

Nobody is saying he's crap, we're saying he's good but people like you are overrating him and putting him on a pedestal that makes it hard for you to see that our defence has struggled since he became a mainstay in it. I'm not saying it's because of him, but because rio and Vidic were such a great partnership throughout the years, once they started declining we were always going to struggle. Can you seriously tell me that Evans is as good of a centre back as any of our previous great centre backs? Or that he even has the potential to be? He lacks the organization and the leadership to tell the rest of the defence what hey need to do, where they need to be. Defending is so much more then being good as an individual. He has to tell the defence what to do as a unit, tell the midfielders to be compact and organize them. You can't say any defender had a good game individually if we concede a few goals, because they either play well as a group or play poorly, and our defence has rarely played well as a group over the last 2 years, which so happens to be when Vidic got injured and we started seeing a lot more of Evans instead.

Our current problems have far more to do the teams shape and ability to defend properly as a unit than the likes of Evan's own individual abilities. Add in fullbacks playing terribly/out of position and you still expect a flawless performance from our centre half ? Id argue the midfield has been more to blame than the defense in the majority of defeats.

I saw you compare him to him to Stam and Vidic, of course he isnt at that level. They are 2 of the best centre halves to play the game in the last 15 years. Hes 100% good enough for us to achieve success with, we already have. Hes just an easy target for abuse it seems.

Compare fans treatment of him as opposed to Kagawa or to a lesser extend Anderson.

To expand things further, look at the state of the central midfield thats played onfront of him at times over the last 24 months. So many other deciding factors that people seem to willingly ignore.

Also, to say a defender cant be credited with having a good game because we lose or concede is nonsense.

Tooni

No Surprises that Evans is the one taking the stick in here despite being the best of the lot in the season so far.

There is always the generic "Evans is at best a squad player" "not worldclass" etc.. without ever really getting down to which part of his game is of concern. The generic cliches are getting boring and tiring. He has become one of the cleanest defenders around in the league, I'll be surprised if there are many center backs in the country who have committed as fewer fouls as he has this season.

Rio even at his peak did this all the time. Did you have a problem then too ? There are just different styles of defending and it's the end result that matters. It's also one of the reasons why Evans doesn't give away any silly fouls let alone dangerous free kicks any more.

You are undermining how complimentary Rio and Vidic were to each other and importance of having a settled back five. I doubt Rio or Vidic would have become such good leaders or organisers if the other 3 were getting shifted around every other game. Evans also slotted in perfectly in that run of clean sheets and no one had any complaints.

Right now the tune has changed from "Evans made a mistake holy crap he is shite" to "other have made mistakes and Evans wasn't good enough to organise or protect them from doing so". Well alright then.

He is one of the few players who actually take up responsibility and try to inject some urgency in our play and actually try to carry the ball or play through the middle. If that pass to Hernandez was by any other centerback then most of our fans will be up in arms about wanting to sign him.

alastair

ignorant
It's not that any of your defence are bad per se, but more that they're a level below what you had before and a level below what constitutes a top class back line.

Your back four is mainly potential as opposed to world class ability right now.

Tooni

It's not that any of your defence are bad per se, but more that they're a level below what you had before and a level below what constitutes a top class back line.

Your back four is mainly potential as opposed to world class ability right now.

Replacing Rio and Vidic was always going to lead to drop off in quality simply because partnerships like that don't happen often. It's harsher to expect players in their mid-twenties to fill in and perform at similar level. If we are going to compare every of our center backs with them and write off anyone not at that level then we'd have to spend a truckloads of money and also be prepared for some expensive flops.

alastair

ignorant
Replacing Rio and Vidic was always going to lead to drop off in quality simply because partnerships like that don't happen often. It's harsher to expect players in their mid-twenties to fill in and perform at similar level. If we are going to compare every of our center backs with them and write off anyone not at that level then we'd have to spend a truckloads of money and also be prepared for some expensive flops.

Of course, and I completely agree.

Having to replace Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra in the space of 6-18 months is really going to be a difficult task. It's inevitable and for me, something which has been understated as a challenge.

Coxy

I thought you guys seemed the most solid with Jones and Evans at the back - wasn't that on your best run as well?

bosnian_red

That's basically what I'm getting at here, I never said he was a bad defender. He just isn't world class and as of now, wouldn't get into our previous great United defences. That's it. Too many people take it like I'm saying he's a poor defender, or he isn't good enough for United. He is along with Vidic our best defender right now, but what I'm saying is that it isn't good enough for United and what we have been used to over the last 20 years, to have Evans at 26 as our best defender. He might get better to the point where he is a top class defender, he might form a solid partnership with somebody, but what I'm saying is that he's by no means there yet and far too many people on here were quick to say he's a world class defender. It's not just with him though, it's with others like Smalling as well. I even saw somebody say Smalling was one of the worlds best defenders a few days ago which is just laughable. They're all good, but looking at their current ability, I don't think any of them apart from Vidic at his best (center backs only) are good enough for a title winning side, and even he has declined to the point where he's getting close to the end as well.

Evans, Smalling and Jones are all still potentially class, and in my personal opinion, Evans doesn't quite have enough to be part of a top class defence, and the only one of them that does is Jones. Basically, 5 or 6 years from now, I can see our center back partnership being Jones and a new defender, rather then Jones and Smalling or Jones and Evans.

bosnian_red

I thought you guys seemed the most solid with Jones and Evans at the back - wasn't that on your best run as well?
Our good run came against Shakhtar at home, where we were lucky to keep a clean sheet, then away to Villa which was a solid performance, then the cup game against Stoke, and then we conceded in the next game against West Ham because of a Buttner mistake. Apart from those few games, against relatively weak opposition, our defence has never really looked that solid, regardless of who has been in there. We've been bailed out by De Gea quite a few times.

Bojan11

The problem I have with Jones, Evans and Smalling is they all have a mistake in them. It's not like Vidic or even Rio, when he stopped brain farting in their prime.

But really why did we let three of our defenders get in their mid 30s and not replace them by now. It's crazy. Thankfully two of them are out of contract and sadly we have to move on. I'd keep Vidic.

Bearded but no genius

Smalling is currently playing like Evans was a few years ago. He will get through the other side of it and grow as a result.

Rio and Vidic are starting to really show their age at times though. As is Evra.

We need a consistent back four, and one that is protected much better by a solid MF.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I had a go at Evans after the City red card two seasons ago. I said his passing was shit, he was physically weak and slow and was an accident waiting to happen every game.

He has proved me wrong and I regret blasting him after that game. He is very good and will get better.

Our defense is fine except for Rio and Evra who should not get any more consistent games.

I hate to beat a dead horse but the twins should be our starting fullbacks. My biggest issue with Moyes so far is his handling of Fabio.

Evans, Smalling and Jones are all great. They just need a settled partnership.

Oh ya, Vidic still has 2 seasons left at the very least. He now gets slated all the time when he has battled injuries this season and has actually been good when played.

Chabon

Jonny Evans has been one of the best CBs in the league for the last two years despite having to carry Rio for at least half of that time. If we stop playing shit fullbacks and crocked old cretins and we still have a below par defense then maybe his critics will have a point, but that seems a pretty pointless hypothetical at the moment.

Bearded but no genius

I had a go at Evans after the City red card two seasons ago. I said his passing was shit, he was physically weak and slow and was an accident waiting to happen every game.

He has proved me wrong and I regret blasting him after that game. He is very good and will get better.

Our defense is fine except for Rio and Evra who should not get any more consistent games.

I hate to beat a dead horse but the twins should be our starting fullbacks. My biggest issue with Moyes so far is his handling of Fabio.

Evans, Smalling and Jones are all great. They just need a settled partnership.

Oh ya, Vidic still has 2 seasons left at the very least. He now gets slated all the time when he has battled injuries this season and has actually been good when played.
I agree with every word of that.

MoneyMay

Not directly. But our defense has always been shaky when he's in it.
Which isn't true. The fact he's had more consistent game time than any of our other centre-backs is down to his ability and form. Since his first game against Liverpool this season, he's been consistently very good. His biggest mistakes - and this is based on goals conceded - have come against Southampton and Hull. He's done well.
And people like you are underrating him? Is Nani as good a player as our previous wingers? Is Valencia? Is Carrick better than our previous central midfielders? You deal with what you have. I also find this notion that it's all Evans' fault for us leaking goals ridiculous because we were conceding goals before he even started his first game for us this season. The lack of organisation/leadership skills is no more than a myth. In fact, you can take a look below at the first video to see how he organises the team when they are defending. He's obviously not going to turn into a mythical creature and ensure everyone defends ideally, but it's disingenuous to underrate his contribution to the team by saying he lacks said skills, which IMO is a generic point that was debunked a while ago. He's easily been our best defender this season - his best game IMO was the Arsenal game. I don't mind fans overrating/underrating him, but when you call out someone for overrating him, yet you do the opposite thing, I think that's unfair. He's not the problem at the moment. The problem of the team is that we don't have a a regular first team line-up, but he's first team currently, and if he was playing that poorly, Moyes would bench him, but he hasn't because he isn't the reason as to why we're playing like a mediocre team. I do, however, think he has been error-prone for the last month and he needs to improve.

Sir A1ex

Individually our defence looks fine - the players we have (other than the obvious dobut around left-back) should form a solid unit for years to come.

But there's not denying that they hyave been under-par this season. We'ev been opened up by simple balls down teh middle, and we've conceded too many from crosses when we've not had anybody even challenging for the ball.

Hopefully it's just a learning curve and we'll see the benefits before long, but there is part of me that worries that we may slightly over-rate some of the players. It's a fine line between being average Premier League quality, and being the very best, and when a young player comes along who is the former, it's easy to get carried away and mistake it for the latter.

Adebesi

Its an interesting question, but I believe our defense is worth the praise we give it, or the belief we have in it.

I think in Rafa, Smalling and Jones we have three of our long term back four in place, with Evans the main man in the medium term. I think those players are up to scratch in terms of quality and potential, they will make the grade. I always hoped Fabio would complete the set and perhaps allowed hope to cloud judgement, and still hope he will come good. But that would be the only question mark for me, who can be the long term LB. I think if we keep the faith in those players they will all keep improving and ensure we are solid at the back. They are young and learnin'.

Sir A1ex

I always hoped Fabio would complete the set and perhaps allowed hope to cloud judgement, and still hope he will come good.
I'm the same, but I think we have to come to terms with teh fact that it won't be him. And I'm starting to also accept that there may be sound reasons for this... maybe the highly paid team of professional football men who work with him every day have a better idea of whether he is good enough than I do, based on my memories of some good performances in 2011.

Adebesi

I'm the same, but I think we have to come to terms with teh fact that it won't be him. And I'm starting to also accept that there may be sound reasons for this... maybe the highly paid team of professional football men who work with him every day have a better idea of whether he is good enough than I do, based on my memories of some good performances in 2011.
I struggle to accept that. But maybe - MAYBE - that is true. Maybe. (But probably not.)